12 Monkeys Syfy

12 Monkeys Renewed (and Cancelled)

12 Monkeys is getting 86’d at Syfy, but there’s a twist (and it’s a pretty good one).

The cabler announced on Thursday that it has renewed the time travel-themed drama for a 10-episode fourth and final season, to debut in 2018. Additionally, the series’ 10-episode third season will air (get this) over three consecutive nights beginning Friday, May 19 and concluding Sunday, May 21 (the first four episodes will bow on Friday, with three episodes airing Saturday and the final three airing on Sunday).

12 Monkeys has a dedicated and enthusiastic fan-base thanks to the epic storytelling by Terry Matalas, and the stellar cast and crew,” said Jeff Wachtel, president and chief content officer for NBCUniversal Cable Entertainment, in a statement. “We are thrilled to be able to offer fans an opportunity to binge the third season as a reward for their lasting support, and we couldn’t be more excited to see where Terry takes us with the final chapter of this fabulous story in the fourth season.”

Loosely based on the 1995 feature film, 12 Monkeys launched on Syfy in 2015.

1. The Dawn says:

damn i love this show, hate to know it’s coming to an end although i do love the binge aspect of 3rd season. hope some other network or stream service will pick it up, though it could be just that, hope.

• nerdrage says:

I think it’s on Hulu – maybe that’s what’s behind this weird scheduling – they’re releasing the episodes all at once to streaming which is what people expect and they figure the cable release is just an adjunct.

• Stacy says:

The show is featured on Hulu, but is not a Hulua original. Also, Hulu releases their original series in a weekly format like most big networks; Netflix however does release their content in batch format for binging.

• Amelia says:

Hulu doesn’t release all its episodes at once. It releases them week by week and even takes a winter hiatus in the case of the Mindy Project.

2. NolaNola says:

This is how other shows should air. I LOVE binge watching.

3. Rachel says:

Hopefully this means a satisfying conclusion. I will definitely miss this show!

4. Wordsmith says:

I don’t mind the binge aspect, but I’m wondering how it makes any business sense for Syfy. Burning off episodes that quickly always seems like a move made out of desperation rather than sound and confident judgment.

• rarefied says:

Syfy tends to cancel everything by the fourth or fifth season at the latest no matter how well it’s doing – I’ve heard it’s because it’s contractually obliged to take over funding for the shows in season 6 and thus it ends all the shows before then so that that doesn’t happen. I don’t know if that’s true.

• Jan Lit says:

Your right, since Bonnie Hammer took over SiFi in the early 2000, she cancel ever show by the 4th or fifth season. They also use to do 22 ESP. This started with Farscape. In season 3 she renews the show with much fan fare, for 2 seasons, a 4th and 5th. All previous seasons were 22 ESP. Them in season 4 Henson Co. spend 1/3 of the year budget on ESP one as SiFi wanted to reintroduce all the characters. Then she decided at the end of season 4, after Henson had written out most of the 5th season, she only wanted 13 ESP. Which was becoming the new trend on commercial cable. Henson at that time was owned by a German water bottling company. They told SiFI it was to hard to cut out9 ESP and the water co. Was having financial problems. So SiFi screwed all the fans of this show and just cancelled it. There statement was the Henson co. was not a team player! Plus SiFi had picked up Stargate, out of syndication, which was canceled in 3 years, as it had been on for 4 years in syndication . But, after that all shows were 13 ESP. And cancelled after 4 seasons. Even Battlestar Galactica, which had very good ratings.
        Hammer got promoted to run the entire USA newworks, that SiFI was under and 3 other cable channels, NBC had already bought the USA network. So being an ass and acut throat jerk, she got promoted and then another promotion into NBC, as being the head of programming. Then Comcast bought NBC/Universial.

5. Wordsmith says:

Considering how much ground they have already covered in their first two seasons, I doubt they could have drawn things out forever. Two more slightly-shortened seasons sounds about right.

6. justsomeguy says:

WTF? I don’t understand why the show is being burned off, and renewed/cancelled.

7. laurelnev says:

This actually sounds like a good thing. This show IS the best of its genre, due in part to the tightness of this show. It’s time to set an end date before it starts to deteriorate and/or use filler to stretch it out. This ensures it will stand as a whole as the BEST of its kind, and something other genre shows should aspire to. The “binge format,” however will mean no discussions between eps, something I, for one, will miss.

8. Simon says:

Does anyone know where to watch Season 2 in the U.K.? I’ve recently watched Season 1 and found it really good, and I know that can buy season 2 from Amazon / iTunes, but I was wondering whether it’s available on any other channel

9. mary says:

Great, screwing the pooch as per usual with that network. Do they have another Sharknado to air that is more important than airing episodes naturally? Don’t like the binge aspect as we work & have to dvr everything. 10 episodes plus what else we dvr will never work. And forget about OnDemanddon’twork.

10. Joey Padron says:

Glad the show got renewed for one more season. Surprised they will be airing of season 3 on 3 nights in 3 weeks. Positive I get to watch a lot of new episodes of the show soon. Can’t wait to see what happens in the new season!

11. Joey Padron says:

I mean just 3 nights not 3 weeks.

12. Katherine215 says:

While it’s bittersweet the show will end, I’m so happy we’re getting a 4th season so they can end it properly (and hopefully, happily). And I love the binge aspect of season 3! I’m going to be out of town in late May/early june and was going to HATE having to wait until I get back to watch those episodes. This is good for me!

13. johnhelvete says:

Grateful for the fourth and final season. I could understand airing 2 episodes over five consecutive nights, dont really get this decision.

14. Television says:

wow that sucks so bad. i really hate it when they cram in the show, like there isnt anything else i might be watching in that additional time slot. so i will probably miss out now. plus this has got to be the best time travel show ever made. why do the good shows get cancelled, who is making these decisions? and why are they only having 10 episodes in a season? that is nothing compared to what it used to be like. i’m tired of the 1 second shows. more episodes!!

15. nerdrage says:

I love this show and don’t mind it’s been “cancelled.” Amazing how much has happened and it’s just been two seasons. If they continue to deliver that degree of intensity, I can’t imagine why four seasons wouldn’t be enough.

16. Couch Mom says:

This and The Expanse are SyFy’s best shows. Hate to see it end. It better be a great Season 4.

17. Missy says:

Oh man. I was expecting at least 5 Seasons. But I know Terry will craft an amazing final season for all of us :)

18. Anthony says:

This is how a show should be cancelled great job scyfy.

19. Jason says:

Well, that’s bizarre. Is SyFy’s schedule so jam packed that they can’t spread it out a little. I guess they want to jump on the Netflix bandwagon, though I’m doubtful it works as well when you have to fill a prime time schedule for an entire year and sell commercial time. Even so, I’m glad the show will get to end on it’s own terms.

20. James says:

How is it canceled if it has already been renewed for a final season? I think you mean “ending”, not “canceled”.

Get your headline right, TVLine.

• Dan says:

Exactly. I could have sworn that I read somewhere during the second season that the crew was expecting and planning for only four seasons. What a great show! Every season gets better. Even if they weren’t planning on it, four seasons feels right (judging from the story arc).

21. Wrstlgirl says:

That’s gonna be awfully hard to watch aired like that, wth. Hopefully I can just get it all on my DVR. There’s no way I can burn an entire weekend, let alone three days. I do have a life, lmao!!

22. Diane says:

Love this show.

23. Mark D. Moss says:

I *LOVE* this show, but hold no grudge about the cancellation. I’d much rather know I’m watching the last season, then get left with a cliffhanger that never gets resolved … and I’d much rather have a tight-to-the-mythology final season and story closer than a twisty stream-of-consciousness open ended plotting that sinks in quality over time.Good on Syfy (this time) for respecting a show’s loyal following!

24. I’m really glad they get to end it on purpose. The writers have done a great job crafting this story.

25. drhenning says:

Syfy has done this before with shows it has cancelled like Caprica, the BSG Prequel show from a few years back.. Famously, many people didn’t like it much until about half way through when the show got pretty good but by then it was too late and they had to wrap it up after 1 season with a CODA that got the story from its time to the time of BSG on Sci-Fi ( as it was named when it was on)… The last 4 episodes were burned off in one night..

26. scifi woman says:

The.12 Monkeys is one of the best scifi genre shows on TV. I love that the SyFy Channel is running it as a Binge weekend “happening”. Love even more that they renewed the series for a 4th season in 2018, giving the fans a proper and satisfying conclusion.

27. ShadowsGathered says:

What is this idiocy? Airing an entire season (and I don’t CARE that it’s only comprised of 10 episodes) in three nights? This sounds like just the kind of stupid thing that will become a trend, just like the trend The X-Files started of repeatedly re-running episodes during the regular season (thus enabling them to bring fewer new episodes to the fans).

28. Sharon says:

At least they are going to give us some closure. Whether we like, love or hate how it ends at least we won’t be left hanging. Why can’t they do that for all shows?

29. bdtrooper says:

Basically, great news! It’s not easy keeping a time travel show going for several seasons. With all the network ones being cancelled – Timeless, Time After Time – glad 12 Monkeys is getting the chance to play out, giving the producers the time – get it? – to finish their story the way they want to. 4 seasons is a good run.

30. Truthsayer says:

Syfy cancels another show. This is why I don’t even bother watching their shows any more. They cancel everything. If they get a show that is able to tell it’s entire tale without getting cancelled, THEN I will watch it in it’s entirety. As it stands there is no point getting invested in anything Syfy produces because you will just end up disappointed. This isn’t even a case of “fool me twice” as they have done this to almost every show they have produced.

31. Lolls says:

I love this show! I was a little confused as to why my dvr recorded ALL of season 3 in one go, but now I know why! ;). I guess binge watching is the way of the future! Not sure how that works with ad sales, though. Doesn’t the network lose money this way? Thanks to SyFy for making a great show, and as long as it doesn’t end like Farscape, I’ll be happy.