the voice recap vanessa ferguson dawson coyle blind auditions

The Voice: Miss Me Blind

Going into the final Blind Auditions of The Voice Season 12 on Tuesday, Alicia Keys — with a team that includes Felicia Temple, Lilli Passero, Anatalia Villaranda and the competition’s youngest singer, Quizz Swanigan — was looking like she might be the one to beat this time around. Did any of the vocalists recruited in this last hour tip the scales (and arpeggios) in favor of Blake Shelton, Gwen Stefani or Adam Levine? Or was the show too busy letting mentors John Legend and Celine Dion pimp Beauty and the Beast to focus on any real contenders? Read on for my reviews of the performances, then we’ll discuss in the comments.

Vanessa Ferguson (Team Alicia), “Don’t Let Me Down” — Grade: A- | After making at least me LOL with her dry humor in her intro — and beyond (she “fired” Adam for not turning around for her) — this classically-trained singer wowed with her brick-solid rendition of the Chainsmokers hit. Her voice never faltered, and neither did the appealing confidence that seems destined to take her far in the competition.

the voice recap vanessa ferguson dawson coyle blind auditionsDawson Coyle (Team Ding Dong Blake), “Happiness” — Grade: B+ | This home-schooled 17-year-old, who lost all of his musical equipment in a house fire, not only rocked the tricky melodic rhythm of the Need to Breathe hit, he somehow managed to (sorta) pull off an all-white outfit without looking like he was daring fate to spill spaghetti sauce on him.

Jozy Bernadette (Team Gwen), “American Woman” — Grade: B- | The daughter of NBA player Glenn Hansen scored a place on Gwen’s team with her rendition of the Lenny Kravitz classic… but not necessarily in a way that would make you remember her two weeks from now. There’s work to be done there, and not necessarily enough time to do it.

Sheena Brook (Team Adam), “Baby Girl” — Grade: B | “Wow, wow, wow, wow,” Adam exclaimed after hearing the married lesbian from Florida tear through the Sugarland hit. But, as solid as her performance was, it was really probably only, say, three-and-a-half-wows good.

the voice vanessa ferguson dawson coyle blind auditionsChris Blue (Team Alicia), “The Tracks of My Tears” — Grade: B | The last in a long line of sibs, this total charmer, who nearly lost his fiancée to cancer, appeared to be trying a little too hard for my taste. On the other hand, his is an audition I won’t soon forget. And his voice seemed to be so versatile, he could sing just about anything.

So, what did you think of the last singers chosen? Who was your favorite Tuesday? Rank ’em below from least- to most-impressive, and, if you’re feeling teacherly, add a letter grade.

1. Brian Lee says:

disagree…… Chris Blue deserves an A

• JudyVee says:

I’m sorry, did you pass out for a while while writing this review? Chris Blue gets a B? I agree with Kimmy and everyone else who wrote that they loved him. He was A-MA-ZING!

2. Kimmy Moores says:

You gave him a B?
    Oh hell no.

3. Robert says:

Is this show getting like American Idol, CHRIS BLUE was much more then an (B) he SING Smokey so smooth he deserves an (A+).

4. Kaba says:

How on God’s green Earth did Chris Blue score lower than the Dawson boy and his limp imitation of alt rock or whatever genre that was?
    And lower than Vanessa?
    Someone get Slezak back asap.

5. Andres says:

Lauren Duski part 2
    Chris was the best of the night, he needs a higher grade in the A- to A range.

6. Russ says:

The Voice App agrees, Chris deserves a much higher grade.

Chris 90%
    Sheena 76%
    Vanessa 62%
    Dawson 53%
    Jozy 52%

7. Russ says:

Based on your grading you seem to have many favorites. I hope this translates into a more unbiased grading for the rest of the season. And not just locking on to one singer that can never do no wrong and is always scored an A. Will be some interesting battle round reviews coming.

8. Clary Fray says:

B for Chris Blue?
    That B better BE representing the first letter of his last name and his rating is actually so high its off the charts.

9. Smokey says:

I can see that there are going to be a lot of angry broken hearts when some of these contestants get rocked-out of the competition later-on. Boys and men have a better chance of making top 5 or 4 than the girls/women — just because more women vote than do men, and will tend to vote for men more than women. ………….. also, the Country Music factor has played strongly in some of the wins, and the fact that some are accomplished vocalists with a wide range of voice, still doesn’t always capture the most voters.

10. Excuse me, but ‘American Woman’ is a classic by the Guess Who. Lenny Kravitz is a cover.

11. Maria says:

Chris Blue deserve an A not a b, for me he was the best

12. in my opinion blake wasted his last spot unless he did it for cannon fodder for battles

13. Smokey says:

Here are just some “YouTube Views” I noticed tonight. Don’t know how much this will mean later. This week’s singers haven’t had much chance to get these numbers yet, but might later. This is in million like 1million, 700,000 where I started and what I could see on one thread. Possible errors, so just what I seen.
    Casi Joy: “Blue” 1.7 mil
    Autumn Turner: “Last Dance” 1.7 mil
    Gaby Borromeo: “Happy” 1.8 mil
    Lauren Duski: “You Were Meant for Me 1.9 mil
    Lilli Passero: “A Love of My Own” 1.9 mil
    Felicia Temple: “All I Could Do Was Cry” 1.9 mil
    Quizz Swanigan: “Who’s Loving You” 1.9 mil
    Stephanie Rice: “Piece by Piece” 2.4 mil
    Anatalia Villaranda: “Runaway Baby” 2.8 mil
    JChosen: “Sexual Healing” 3.o mil
    Mark Isaiah: “Mercy” 3.1 mil

• DonV says:

What I’ve noticed in the past and as can be seen in the list above, YouTube views (particularly early in the season) tend to favor people doing more current songs and/or younger contestants, while votes tend to better reflect the TV audience, favoring older contestants (particularly males) doing old standards. This is why the later rounds of the live shows have come to be dominated by songs that are at least 30 or 40 years old, which not only sends the few remaining younger viewers fleeing, but helps assure that most finalists quickly become irrelevant in today’s music scene.

14. loisbea says:

Chris Blue is one of the standouts of the blind auditions. That was no B performance. I don’t really care how you rate the others, who were good, but didn’t floor me. But I’d have to give your review a G, for Get outta here.

15. Davey says:

I liked Chris’s personality but I wouldn’t grade him higher than a B+. I wish he had maintained more of the tune and the pathos of the song.

• Smokey says:

I see your point, he did skateboard around with a lot of dips, highs, and playing with vocal histrionics rather than getting into the deeper feeling/emotion of the song………I see Chris has reached #10 on the R&B category of itunes early this A.M.,,, so gonna be the best seller of the group last night.

• Kaba says:

Not agreeing with either of you frankly. I thought he maintained an excellent balance of emotion and vocal intrigue and the melody was not a necessity nor drastically changed.
        But to each their own of course.

16. Lloyd says:

I really liked Vanessa! So far, she’s the only one I’m excited to see what she’ll sing next. Awesome tone.

17. Kara says:

I hope the one girl loses her annoying hat soon.

18. Lizzie says:

Chris Blue – what a sweetheart. And he can sing.

19. Natalie says:

Is there reason that Gwen wears such a short dress, other than to show her butt to everyone?
    Alicia is so much more lady like and so much prettier and would make a better coach.
    Gwen just rambles.

20. Meg says:

I was clapping like a fool on my couch for Chris Blue A+!