The Bachelor Finale

The Bachelor Finale: Who Did Nick Choose? And Did She Accept?

This is it, lovers of love! After 10 weeks of blood, sweat and rose-scented tears, the battle for Nick Viall‘s heart reached a dramatic conclusion during Monday’s two-hour Bachelor season finale.

Two hopeful bachelorettes remained atop the full-night event: Raven Gates, the 25-year-old fashion boutique owner from Arkansas, and Vanessa Grimaldi, the 29-year-old special education teacher from Montreal.

Despite Nick’s rocky history of looking for love on television — he was the runner-up on two separate seasons of The Bachelorette — Papa Viall was “very hopeful” that his son would “be able to choose someone who will accept his proposal.”

You know who also seemed hopeful about Nick’s future? Why, none other than Santa Claus, who joined him on his final date with Vanessa. In between “ho ho ho”s and jolly belly shakes, the holiday icon expressed his sincere wishes for the couple. (Follow-up question: Vanessa seemed way more into Santa than she was into Nick, right?)

Anyway, Nick and Vanessa’s final date took an unfortunate turn when the conversation shifted towards Raven. Despite Vanessa being “so in love” with Nick and him being “everything [she’s] dreamt of in a future husband,” she admitted to having doubts because of his feelings for another woman. (Another follow-up question: Vanessa knew she signed up to be on The Bachelor, right?)

Nick’s final date with Raven, on the other hand, would best be described with the same word he used to define their relationship: It was just “easier.” All it took to make her happy was was some ice skating, a fireside snuggle and an armful of surprise puppies. Best of all, he didn’t need to pull any strings with his contacts at the North Pole just to impress her!

“I hope my kids with Nick are as cute as these puppies,” Vanessa said, before clarifying that she’d like them to be “a little less hairy.” (Just for that, now you know her future children are going to be crazy hairy. Like, they’re all going to emerge from the womb looking like Baby Grinch.)

Come proposal time, though, only one one woman would receive that coveted Neil Lane diamond ring — and that woman was… Vanessa! And she said yes!

Are you pleased with Nick’s choice, as well as the final outcome? Cast your vote below, then drop a comment with more of your thoughts.

1. Janet says:

NICK CHOSE A VERY NOT NICE HEARTED PERSON…SO SELF CENTERED…HE SHOULD HAVE CHOSEN RAVEN…WHO HAS A HEART OF GOLD

• Vanessa Engh says:

Raven such a sweetheart.The other one to self centered

• april-ann says:

Vanessa is an adults’ special needs teacher. She loves her students and they love her. Yeah, geez…what a self centered, cold hearted beyotch.

• Theresa R says:

Just because she chose a career that helps people doesn’t make her perfect. She is very Self Centered when it comes to relationships. Even up until the end she wasn’t sure she was going to say yes to Nick. Here he is sending women home early to avoid hurting them more than he already has to and she was ready to risk him being left at the proposal alter AGAIN. I don’t believe anyone called her a “Beyotch” as you stated we are all just stating our observation and opinions.

• april-ann says:

That was just drama-creating schtick for the show – she was always going to say yes. She told her family that if he proposed she would say yes.

• april-ann says:

If you dvr’d it, and you’re so inclined, take look and you will see them trying to hide their laughter while discussing her “not being sure”. That was something I did enjoy.

2. ophelia jones says:

i thought Vanessa was pretty, but they didn’t seem compatible. they never really saw eye to eye. her family was
    different too. there were other girls that were a better fit. i don’t think they will make it.

• april-ann says:

Since he didn’t want any of them (that would keep him away from what he really wants – fame, money, freedom), it made more sense in the end to choose someone incompatible.

• Lizzie says:

The fantasy suite sex must have been better with Vanessa than with Raven. I hope both of these women get tested for the exposure to STDs after any activity with frequent flyer Nick.

• Theresa R says:

Imagine how pissed off Vanessa’s was when she watched the episode of Raven talking about Nick giving her her first orgasm! Bet that conversation was a hoot!

3. Jenny says:

He could have gone with the sure thing but he went for the wild card. This seems so typical. They looked miserable at the live after show. I love Raven.

• april-ann says:

Definitely the weirdest, strangest ATFR ever (and that includes even Jason and Melissa). The odd vibe was created by the host and the show right off the bat. It began when the host introduced Vanessa. By the way, has any “winner” ever been interviewed alone first before? I don’t remember. I thought the host, sitting with the lead, introduced the winner and the winner came out to join them. So if that’s the case, it was different there. The host spoke seriously and in hushed tones. Strange for an ATFR where there had been a proposal. I know they may have been pressed for time due to the Rachel/Rachel’s men ruse, but for the first time they completely left out “Let’s take a look at Nick and Vanessa’s journey to love” – a montage that would have eaten up barely one or two minutes.

4. Joyce A. Smith says:

I would not have said yes. Has he worked at all in the past 3 years? He grew slimy acting to me and I stopped watching after ‘meet the parents’ episode.

5. reesa says:

loved them together! Rooting for them, hope they can make it work!

6. Karen says:

Heartbroken…..It should have been Raven…..she was so honest and open and just the sweetest ever!!

• Dianne says:

I agree. when I saw the color of dress when getting out of the car, I shut the tv off. I couldn’t even watch the end. She was who I wanted Nick to ask to marry him.

7. theresa R says:

She is not going to compromise on anything. Very self Centered. She won’t relocate, she wouldn’t leave her job and she won’t accept anything less than living near her family. These things are all fine and great but she will expect him to leave everything for her but she won’t do it for him. They are not compatible. Relationships are hard enough, this girl makes EVERYTHING difficult. Raven is easy to be around, loving, her family is awesome she’s beautiful inside and out. Vanessa and Nick will not last. I think Raven dodged a bullet with Nick!

• april-ann says:

Seriously? Will Nick compromise? Will Nick relocate? At least she HAS a job. Will he expect her to leave everything for him? Seems to me he’s been busy 24/7 rehearsing for his “star” turn on DWTS for weeks now, and if things go the way he would like, for many weeks to come. Meanwhile, she’s there, not having much to do in the way of fun for her. I hear she will be in the audience cheering him on. Oh that selfless Nick, putting up with that non compromising self centered woman.

• Lizzie says:

If you choose to go on a dating show in another country, be prepared to move to that country if you are the chosen one.

8. Timmah says:

I don’t know why everyone is hating on Vanessa. She’s a bit of a challenge for sure, but that’s what a lot of men (and women) like. Raven is the kind of girl you have a schoolboy crush on, but Vanessa is a real woman.

• theresa R says:

i totally get what you’re saying but i think Vanessa will never be happy. I think waking up next to someone that you don’t have to work hard at making happy because they are accepting of who you are leads to a better life than being with someone who you are constantly working hard to prove yourself to. Raven should be the next bachelorette.

• Timmah says:

You may be right about Vanessa, but I think it’s just human nature to want someone who is more of a challenge, rather than someone who is readily available. I do agree with your last sentence though. I think Raven would have been an appealing bachelorette with her outgoing personality.

• april-ann says:

I agree about Raven. She would have been an excellent choice for Bachelorette. That would have made for one very not boring Bachelorette season (finally!). They’re wasting Raven on Paradise instead. Apparently they would have had a lot of ‘splainin’ to do if it wasn’t Rachel. I like Rachel, I just think a Raven season would be more fun.

• Timmah says:

I like Rachel too, I just don’t think she has the personality to make an interesting Bachelorette so I’ll likely be skipping that season. I might peek in on Paradise to see Raven but I’m not crazy about the format.

9. Yvonne says:

What’s the over/under of Nick showing up on Rachel’s season and telling her that he made a terrible mistake by not choosing her?

10. Wrstlgirl says:

So funny how we think we actually know these people and what’s best for them.

11. Lynn says:

That was the MOST DRAMATIC EPISODE ever – not. Man tat was boring. I was on my iPad and barely paying attention the whole time. This season was awful. Nick is the most boring bachelor and doesn’t express himself very well. It’s also obvious this is not going to work out. Usually on the after show couples are so excited and look so in love. These two did not look that at all. Also all this talk of “we’ve had our difficulties”. Well it’s just going to get more difficult in the real world now and he’s doing Dancing with the Stars while she’s probably still in Canada. I don’t know how Canada immigration works but here she can’t really get a visa unless they actually get married so I don’t foresee it lasting.

• Lizzie says:

She can get a fiancee visa if they get married within 90 days, otherwise she has to go back. She can visit for likely 6 months on a vacation, because she is Canadian, just not work here.

12. Kathy mcmahon says:

Raven clearly would have been the best for him not Vanessa (drama queen) all about her. They should have given her some cheese with her “whine”.
    Raven had absolutely no doubts and placed no restrictions on him.
    I guess his heart told him it was Vanessa but my bet is she will not be good long term. If he had such feelings for 2 women he should not have picked at that time but to wait a while.

13. M Scott says:

Nick will be very sorry he chose Vanessa. She will only give him grief. She is intelligent and pretty. She wants to stay in Canada with her family. She overthinks everything. When the lust wears off, he will be sick of her. Raven was a perfect match for him. No drama, fun and seems like a very easy to get along with.

14. Jennifer says:

He’s a stinking fool for not picking Raven! He’s destined for loneliness. He prob picked her because she’s the only one who didn’t give it up in bed. Poor Raven!!! His loss though!