Post Mortems
The Vampire Diaries Series Finale

Vampire Diaries Boss Breaks Down the Series Finale's Originals Moment: 'There Are More Stories to Be Told'

We were promised that the Mikaelson family would have a “presence” in The Vampire Diaries series finale… but no one said anything about presents!

Of all the gasp-worthy moments from Friday’s send-off, Klaus’ letter to Caroline — which you can read in full in my recap of the episode — easily elicited the biggest gasp from me. (If you’re a regular TVLine reader, you know I’m a recent convert to the concept of Klaus and Caroline’s romance.)

Below, executive producer Julie Plec discusses the big “Klaroline” moment, including TVD‘s future connection to The Originals and the Joseph Morgan appearance we (sadly) had to do without:

TVLINE | I have to know… What did Alaric mean when he said this was the beginning of another story?
It means a couple things to me, none of which are tangible yet. It’s a wish, not a promise, but I do think there are more stories to be told. I think The Originals has the opportunity to visit with some of these characters, and I think there are future shows down the line that can be spawned out of this world and could tell good stories. It’s a hope for the future if nothing else.

TVLINE | Speaking of which, we know Alaric is crossing over for an episode. Where will that fall, time-wise?
That falls probably more in line with the timeline of that last scene with the letter. In fact, Alaric is the one who shows up and actually tells Klaus about the school. The idea of the school as a safe haven for young supernatural beings certainly has a lot of relevance for Hope Mikaelson.

TVLINE | When Alaric first brought up the idea of opening a supernatural school, I was like, “I want this spinoff.”
[Laughs] Good. I do, too.

TVLINE | Had scheduling not been an issue, and you did have Joseph Morgan for this, what would that scene have looked like?
It would have been just an incredibly simple scene with Caroline at her desk, running her new school. There’d be a knock on the door from a new donor. She opens the door, it’s Klaus Mikaelson. And he would have said, “Hello, love” or “Hello, Caroline,” and that would have been it.

TVLINE | Caroline and Bonnie are some of the few characters we didn’t see at “peace.” Is it safe to assume she made it there eventually?
Yes. For us, two things were very important: that Bonnie got to live a long and happy life, and that Caroline lived on and carried on the legacy of all the good things she wanted to do. The one person who was so good at being a vampire is now helping other people with their supernatural problems. So Caroline will probably be alive and kicking for centuries, in my opinion.

How did you feel about the series finale’s “Klaroline” moment? How are you hoping this story might continue someday? Grade the episode below, then drop a comment with your thoughts.

1. Sam says:

Considering we couldn’t get Joseph Morgan in person, that is very very satisfying. Klaus and Caroline to end The Originals. I beg.

• Katrina says:

If Carolina and Klaus are on The Originals I will watch it.

• Jane says:

It seems by the end of TO S04 Klaus and Caroline’s paths will cross again in the way that would make her presence on TO organic. She probably won’t be in actual New Orleans, but will have Hope in her school and occasionally help Klaus or something like that. I know there are a lot of bitter shippers out there, hating on Julie and the writers for Klaroline ending, but I am just so happy we finally got it! We waited forever and Julie didn’t disappoint! But she can’t make everyone happy with so many ships around almost each and every main character. I personally wanted Caroline to move to TO for years! Now TVD ended and it’s time, all we need is TO S05! But right now I can’t wait for S04 of TO!

2. M Hancock says:

Unlike where everybody ended
    Up and unlike the Alaric/Caroline school but it wasn’t quite as epic as the show itself. Of Delena was my endgame but I also wanted to see Bonnie & Enzo together.

3. Val M. says:

“How did you feel about the series finale’s “Klaroline” moment?” It was perfect and also it’s the beginning of another story.

4. Mike says:

So are we to assume the school is 5+ years in the future as that’s where they’re picking up on The Originals? I guess I just assumed they got the school up and running faster than that.

• Conner says:

Hadn’t VD jumped three years ahead of the Originals? Unless I’m mistaken (which I might be) that would put the Originals at two years beyond the VD finale

• bibi says:

they are three years in the future. so only two

• Jane says:

Exactly, counting from the hellfire events TO is 2 years ahead of TVD. But Caroline is reading letter in the future, after Klaus sorted out his problems with new enemy that hunts magical kids – probably also not a coincidence given that magical kids is what Klaus and Caroline have in common and smth that she’d definitely help him with. Kids on vamp shows didn’t make much sense to me for a while, but now all pieces falling into place, it’s actually a rather smart way to bind TVD and TO characters in an organic way

5. Freya says:

How do I feel about the Klaus & Caroline moment in the finale! I felt it was awesome :)
    A nice endgame shoutout to what has been a large & loyal fan base.
    Now…give us that story please!

6. Jason says:

Even as a Steroline fan, I’m happy with the ending. I’m perfectly alright with Caroline going off to have many adventures with Klaus, for ages to come. Caroline’s heart will always belong to Stefan, and eventually they’ll be reunited, but for however many centuries that takes, she’ll live her immortal life to the fullest.

• Hallie says:

Caroline my love stefan as she loved tyler but eventually she will move on and love someone else. It might be centuries before caroline dies so i don’t see caroline’s heart always belonging to stefan eventually she will give her heart to someone else that is who caroline is and i don’t see her ever reuniting with stefan

• Ella says:

Yeah, I see it this way too. Caroline’s only what, 24 canonically? That’s pretty young to get married these days even if she was human. Most people will admit to being very different at 50 then they were at 25 so I imagine Caroline will be VERY different at 150 and beyond. Stefan had several epic loves so I think she’ll have more of her own.

• Jason says:

Oh my god, the anti-Steroline contingent really cracks me up. Even the idea of them being together (or even in each other’s general vicinity) in the afterlife, rubs you guys the wrong way. Caroline could spend the next century boning Klaus or whoever, but it’s not satisfying unless Caroline renounces all things Stefan and throws his ring in a pile of manure, immediately after dancing on his grave. I hate to tell you this, but who you want Caroline to be is not who she is or will ever become. Her steadfast loyalty and devotion are one of her defining, accentuated traits as a vampire. Whomever she bides her time with over the years, Caroline will never take off that ring. She has the patience of Job when it comes to matters of the heart. Certainly she’ll have her fun, but those vampiric tendencies allow Caroline to be very good at comparmentalizing. That part of herself will get locked up tight and since her will is pretty unmatched, in won’t be bothered. Men will come, but they’ll never make it past certain barriers.

• Laney says:

I mean, you want her to be shackled to a dead guy for the next 364746 years? That’s not healthy. I want her to move on, live her life, fall in love, be Caroline. It’s the most human thing as a vampire that she can do.

• Jane says:

You’re either a teenager who still believes that you love once in your life and if you put a ring on it (for less than 24 hours in Steroline’s case) it means you’re bound together for life (come on, it’s not true even for humans, let alone immortals). OR you just really trying to see a silver lining here, like after Caroline lives for centuries, she’ll be with Stefan in afterlife. You know what Caroline will do in her afterlife? Bitching at Klaus for throwing his painting crap all around the house after she just cleaned it to Caroline Golden Standard. My point is, what was your big love can only be answered at the end of your life, and it’s rarely that man after your first big love but before your last epic one. Especially if with this last one you finally got to enjoy immortality, raise your kids, grandkids, travel the world, everything you wanted and you stayed together for centuries.
      Because daaamn, time with Stefan (romantically) was non-ending drama that ended in tragedy with Caroline having wedding and becoming a widow all in the same night! I mean you seriously think that someone as optimistic, bright and strong as Caroline will hold on to that? She accepted that Stefan’s life was about Damon and she’ll have a special place in her heart for Stefan but that’s about it. When she’s standing with Damon near Stefan’s grave she already looks calm and ready to let go. She found out that Stefan got her message, cried and carried on with her life. That’s the end of this story, otherwise they would show her reuniting with Stefan in afterlife after she lived for centuries, I mean it could’ve been a scene similar to how Damon was shown. Why not do the same with Caroline and Stefan? Unless it’s not what’s happening.
      The thing is, if Caroline loves a man, she’s all in it, she always thinks it’s her big one. Remind you of someone? Klaus. He acted like that towards Aurora, keeping her portrait behind a wall for centuries, then Camille and many girls in between but only to Caroline he promised to be her last. And he let her be till she’s ready. He’s done it first, long before Stefan said that “when you’re ready, I’ll be waiting for you” or smth like that. In fact lot’s of things in steroline and klamille are actually recycled from Klaroline. Like how blond strong spirited girl saw good in that monster. I mean seriously? It’s actually bizarre because Klaroline had only so many scenes, but in my opinion every one of them was top notch.
      Anyway, as Julie said, she sees Caroline living for centuries and she’s the boss. Given that Caroline’s in her twenties, her story barely started. 8 seasons of TVD was the beginning for this character and ending for Stefan. Caroline is strong and forever optimistic, she won’t live looking back. And something tells me, Julie has a better future for Caroline than living alone forever.

• Jane says:

You’re either a teenager who still believes that you love once in your life and if you put a ring on it (for less than 24 hours in Steroline’s case) it means you’re bound together for life (come on, it’s not true even for humans, let alone immortals). OR you just really trying to see a silver lining here, like after Caroline lives for centuries, she’ll be with Stefan in afterlife. You know what Caroline will do in her afterlife? Beatching at Klaus for throwing his painting crap all around the house after she just cleaned it to Caroline Golden Standard. My point is, what was your big love can only be answered at the end of your life, and it’s rarely that man after your first big love but before your last epic one. Especially if with this last one you finally got to enjoy immortality, raise your kids, grandkids, travel the world, everything you wanted and you stayed together for centuries.
      Because time with Stefan (romantically) was non-ending drama that ended in tragedy with Caroline having wedding and becoming a widow all in the same night! I mean you seriously think that someone as optimistic, bright and strong as Caroline will hold on to that? She accepted that Stefan’s life was about Damon and she’ll have a special place in her heart for Stefan but that’s about it. When she’s standing with Damon near Stefan’s grave she already looks calm and ready to let go. She found out that Stefan got her message, cried and carried on with her life. That’s the end of this story, otherwise they would show her reuniting with Stefan in afterlife after she lived for centuries, I mean it could’ve been a scene similar to how Damon was shown. Why not do the same with Caroline and Stefan? Unless it’s not what’s happening.

7. Angelyn McBride says:

I’m going to miss Vampire Diaries. Hate to see it end.

8. Honestly I just want to see Bonnie Bennett crossover to The Originals, in my opinion I think she’s the best person to have an actual pollen over there. I know everyone wants Caroline over there, but I can’t see her being over there other than being Klaus’s love interest. I just want Bonnie to interact with Freya and Vincent, to side with the Mikaelsons or the witches, or just to be her own character and to have someone like Kol who is an expertise in magic to train her.. And I would love to see Kol and Bonnie interact together, I think they have some unfinished business still!

• LizLem says:

I would tune in for that but more than anything I want Bonnie/Graham away from these people, lol.

#sweetfreedom

• Ella says:

I think there’s plenty of potential with the school thing. It could get her involved with other characters like Vincent or Freya who could definitely use a friend (maybe even a job!). And lbr Caroline’s been primarily Stefan’s love interest these last few years without much plot beyond that. And frankly, she’s far more interesting with Klaus than she ever was with Stefan (and Klaus is better with her than he was with his old love interest).

• Ally Oop says:

Bonnie is my favourite VD character and has always been chronically underused. If any VD character would spin off into their own series, I would love for it to be Bonnie. Maybe it could be a show about witches in which Bonnie takes a journey to find her own roots and joins with a coven. As for crossing over to The Originals…I’m not sure how that could work.

9. Stacey says:

So happy for our Klaroline endgame! I just hope we get a KC scene in the TO finale! Thank you Andy and welcome to the fandom!

10. Mandy says:

I like that Caroline and Bonnie have open story lines I hope that they pop up on the originals I was a Klaus Caroline fan
    I’m gonna miss this show it gave us the excitement and fantasy that most of us crave but im glad the originals are still here and I look forward to seeing many more great episodes from them

11. DarkDefender says:

Hogwarts/Xavier School… with Klaus and Caroline running it? Yup. I’m in.

12. LizLem says:

Eh. I’m not convinced there are more stories to be told, lol. I couldn’t even get coherent closure for some of my fave characters on TVD (Enzo comes to mind)…the loose ends were right there to be tied up, or at least acknowledged. But no, let’s reconcile the Donovans. 0_o

Thankful for what we got over the years but tbqh I don’t think I’ll be walking on these coals with this partic producing team again anytime soon.

Just sign me up for whatever Graham and Malarkey book, however. & Let it be lots and soon!

13. Red Snapper says:

I’m happy with the way it ended. I don’t really ‘ship’ much but I definitely shipped Klaus and Caroline. To me they are perfect for each other. Klaus truly gets and understands her. Caroline sees the good in him and brings it out. Caroline truly loved Stefan and will always love him but people can move on after losing a great love to find another. I really hope we get to see Caroline on The Originals, she’s always been my favorite. If we don’t though, in my mind Klaus and Caroline meet up at some point and spend a few centuries or an eternity together.

14. whateva says:

I honestly missed some more emotional Damon-Elena reunion, but otherwise nice closure esp. the very end!
    I ship Klaroline, please make it happen, Klaus needs a love interest that is an equal to him!

15. Cassie Misino says:

Would love to see Stefan “ghost”. He didn’t deserve death after all he sacrificed.

16. Linda Marie says:

Will definitely get excited if Caroline shows up on TO and stays…don’t want just a teasing visit. As for only having a storyline of being Klaus’ love interest? Never. That girl always put herself forth in the TVD world and played integral parts in their plans. Don’t see Caroline just standing on the sidelines cheering her man on in action. She’d wrestle the job-needs-doing from him and show him how to do it right. She was the only one that Klaus respected if their was another way or idea on how to handle a situation that he would listen and actual consider doing. His little smile he’d get when she kicked ass or showed her brain power was like “Yup, that’s my girl. That’s why I love her.” Everyone else on TVD made the plans and just humored her if she had a different approach. Not Klaus. Which is why I stopped watching TVD and switched to TO to begin with. Crossing my fingers for Caroline to become a permanent addition to the TO world! And not just because of Klaus. She’s my all time favorite character only matched by Klaus.

• Melissa says:

I completely agree. If Caroline were to show up on the Originals, she wouldn’t just be a love interest. She was always at her strongest, I thought, in her scenes with Klaus. Could definitely see that strength shine through on the Originals.

17. alfonce says:

its good…they introduced young supernatural kid(hope and other carolines’ kids) but they are all girls.how good was the season to end with bonnie expecting a male child with enzo!…

18. Amy says:

I would love to see Bonnies story how she is moving on to find peace as a witch again.

19. lucas says:

absolutely loved the vampire diaries from start to finish and the ending was perfect in my opinion. Was glad Elena came back and damon became human, i kinda knew that something was going to happen to stefan because of caroline going into the originals and a possible romance between her and klaus in that. And i’m hoping the see hope grow in the originals so we can see what new powers she will bring to the show. Her Teamed up with the heretic twins will make them a powerful force together…. I think the originals will go up in rating now, especially with cast members joining from the now finished vampire diaries. Anyways, RIP vampire diaries……you have been awesome to watch! Xx

20. lucas says:

i meant to say possible heretic twins…that is if they get turned lol….hint hint!! just an idea lol

21. Gift says:

Hoping to see more of Caroline nd even Bonnie in the originals.

22. Charissa29 says:

If Krause and Caroline got together to read the phone book, I would be there!

23. Cathie says:

Bring Cami back!

24. Laurie says:

I would love to see Caroline come to The Originals!!! I have loved them from the moment Klaus took a ‘fancy’ towards Caroline. The ball scene in Season 3 when they danced had me hooked. It’s been a long slow burn….but as Klaus told Caroline “he’ll be her last love”….come on Plec & company..it’s time to pay the piper!

25. Nihal says:

i wouldnt like it if klaus and caroline had a love story because caroline should only e with stefan, Caroline should live a long life and when she dies she should be re united with stefan

26. Lorie says:

I loved how the finale played out.Julie and Kevin are geniuses and I’d Love to see some Klaroline moments in the future.

27. Carolina Torres Mazzei says:

Todos queremos que sea caroline quien ayude y salve y se quede con klaus, son perfectos juntos ….

28. Nora says:

If Caroline is on the Originals i will def. watch!!!

29. Morgan says:

Just like I said a while ago that Julie Plec had her Klaroline moment in her back pocket and was just waiting for the right time to execute it. Caroline and Alaric and whomever else crosses over will be crucial in restoring The Originals power back to the French quarter.

30. bigguy3080 says:

Just like I said before. Julie Pled had her Klaroline idea in her back pocket the whole time me was always waiting til the right moment to execute it. I’m betting that Caroline, Alaric and whomever else that is crossing over will play a big part in helping The Originals regain power into the French quarter. Caroline will free Klaus.

31. Lorie says:

I think klaroline should happen.They both lost an epic love and they would definitely be an epic love.Hope to see it this season of originals.

32. Lynn says:

Good ending and closure . But I was a bit disappointed that very little focus was on Damon and Elena’s reunion.
    As intense as their romance was , it seemed their reunion was tepid and completely upstaged by Caroline’s loss and stephan’s death.
    Too much was crammed in the last 3 episodes.

Just my thoughts.

33. Brandy says:

I would love to see Klaus and Caroline together. He did after all say that he intended to be her last love. I think their love story would be epic. I would definitely watch them together

34. Kim says:

I was not in awe of tvd last episode. Everything felt rushed, Def tell the coldness between Damon and Elena, the writers should have took a page from charmed ‘s last episode. Disappointed .