Samantha Bee's TBS Show Apologizes for Mocking Cancer Patient's 'Nazi Hair'

Full Frontal With Samantha Bee went a little too far in making fun of conservatives.

TBS’ late-night political show has apologized for joking that a conservative writer had “Nazi hair” on Wednesday’s episode — not knowing that the writer, Outset’s Kyle Coddington, had that haircut due to cancer treatment. The show issued an apology on Thursday via Twitter, stating that they just learned of his condition and “have removed him from the piece”:

The joke came during a segment about the recent Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC), saying: “This year, the bow ties were gone and replaced by Nazi hair,” with an image of Coddington (seen below, on the left). But Coddington’s sister Megan tweeted that her brother’s haircut was due to treatment for Stage 4 brain cancer:

Coddington’s site Outset also defended their writer with a post stating that Coddington had just completed his first round of chemotherapy and radiation to treat his cancer.

In addition to the apology, TBS has removed the video of the segment from the show’s YouTube and Facebook pages.

1. DL says:

See, when you act like a jerk and offend someone, you apologize and make it right. POTUS should take notes.

2. Pedro says:

For a liberal show, they mock people’s weight, hairstyles, clothing, accents and all these very superficial things all of the time while calling people bigots.

• padraicjacob says:

To be fair, she openly criticizes Democrats and Republicans on the show. She’s equal opportunity. Do you watch the show?

• Pedro says:

You don’t seem to. First, I am a liberal. But the same Samantha Bee that has a segment on how despicable was that the press fat-shamed model Alicia Machado, openly fat-shames a lot of people in the show who are conservatives, including nobodies who she have no idea how much she will hurt of even if they are fat because of a medical condition.

She’s often mean to regular people for their clothes and appearances in the same breath she’s calling people bigots.

Bee thinks whoever disagrees with her deserve all sort of offence, like Bernie supporters. But she doesn’t need to make fun of her ideas. Body-shaming is just fine with her.

• Charles says:

I do watch the show. there is no time she makes fun of the Dems.

• Michelle R. says:

Bill Clinton, she has pretty much stated or implied multiple times that Hillary’s biggest mistake was not cutting Billy loose. That’s off the top of my head.

3. Collette says:

Who watches her? She’s not amusing.

• Natalie says:

I love her!

• Mary says:

Me, I think she makes the atrocity of our Government now a little tolerable. At least she is a class act and issues a sincere apology, which is more than I can say for #45.

• Harris says:

Mary, how was she sincere in her apology? she basically told him I’m sorry you’re so thin-skinned

• Mary says:

I don’t know apologizing and pulling the segment seems sincere to me. What more would you like her to do?

• c-mo says:

I don’t know, maybe not do it in the first place…? How is it even funny when one person has to belittle another person in order to have an audience? Isn’t that the very definition of bullying?

• Robert says:

To be fair… he does have Nazi hair. Without knowing his condition, it is too good of a parallel to draw upon. The Alt-Right are modern day Nazis. Nazi hair among modern day Nazis and you expect people not to comment? I’m sorry for his condition, but I don’t blame Bee or her staff for using what seemed like a golden opportunity. She did the right thing by apologizing and removing the video.

• Michaela says:

@robert: So then is it okay to assume that a female feminist with short hair is a lesbian? Or is it only okay to offensively stereotype conservatives?

• Sam says:

Her show apologized. I did not see anywhere that she was the person that actually did it. It could have been some low level intern they made do it.

• Byron says:

Oh I disagree with that…her show is brilliantly written and delivered and I think that there is little argument about that. Shame about the poor fellow going through cancer treatment, but removing him from the piece and apologizing was in the least a good start.

• Billy Bob Johnson says:

Well, if you can’t get Jon Stewart, she’ll do (I don’t have HBO, so I don’t get to see John Oliver).

• mary says:

I agree. I do not watch her, but everything I have read about her on sites, confirms she would not be entertaining for me.

4. Harris says:

in the words of Trump, she’s a nasty woman. This lady isn’t even funny and just rips America

• Natalie says:

I’ll take a nasty woman over an orange buffoon any day of the week, AND she apologized which is more than Trump has EVER done.

• CJKatl says:

Why does it have to be a choice between one or the other? How does any offensive thing Trump does change Bee’s offensiveness? Is it okay to be offensive just because someone else is more offensive? Does her offensiveness level change because of anything Trump does? She is vile. Trump is vile. Both should stop.

• Natalie says:

Samantha Bee aplogized, again, and Trump doesn’t. So..that was my point. There is no choice involved, for me anyway.

• Mary says:

How do you feel when #45 puts his foot in his mouth every time he speaks? I get a laugh when I watch, different sense of humor I guess.

• CJKatl says:

Or maybe you just found out that what you’re laughing at is very offensive. Bee is offensive, If that’s your humor, at least own up to the fact that what makes you laugh is offensive. It’s very similar to laughing at someone for being in a wheelchair or because the person was born with a learning disability. You have every right to find that funny and to laugh, but don’t kid yourself that it’s not offensive. You just happen to not care and feel okay laughing.

• Molly says:

*sigh* I remember when the adage “Two wrongs don’t make a right” meant something. Trump says idiotic things. He says offensive things. Those aren’t an excuse for others to be jerks too. I don’t find Bee amusing. Mocking those that you disagree with gets kids in trouble for bullying at school but apparently as Ana duly it can get you a TV contract or a career in politics.

• Mary says:

Seriously. No I don’t find her offensive because it is a comedy act period. No it is not at all like making fun of a disable human being, but if you can’t see that then it is you who has a problem. Making assumptions of others proves ignorance. Considering you do not know me you don’t have a clue of what I care about. If making fun of the Nazi’s is offensive to you then that might say more about you.

5. Jimmy says:

Wow. I’m a Democrat, but I cannot handle this show. It’s just plain nasty.

• Pedro says:

Agreed. Bee behaves just like Trump. She’s just on the other side. But she’s rude to people, especially those who can’t defend themselves.

• Collette says:

Politics aside, I don’t understand what anyone finds entertaining about Bee, Chelsea Handler, Lena Dunham or Amy Schumer. I can barely stand Amy Poehler and Tina Fey.

• loveNY says:

Thanks for that comment. I thought I was the only one who doesn’t like them. I used to at least like Tina Fey but her American Express commercials really bug me. She’s so arrogant and condescending in them.

6. Squirrelly says:

Mistaking someone going through chemo as a skinhead? I swear I saw that on Curb Your Enthusiasm.
    I guess life has become more and more like television every day…

7. Scott says:

More if a liberal idiot opening mouth and showing the world what an idiot liberals are .

8. matraupach says:

I stopped watching her after her extremely biased election coverage… I mean i am a leftist progressive I even I thought that this was too obvious…

And now they grab every opportunity to make the conservatives look like Nazis…

Come on… I don’t agree on most issues with the republicans but this went too far…

It even went too far without the cancer-mishap! The Nazi comparison alone was overkill.

You can make fun of the things the conservatives really believe even without making stuff up!,

Hell how I miss Jon Stewart!

• Natalie says:

I miss Jon Stewart too. The same Jon Stewart that Samantha Bee started on.

• c-mo says:

Are you trying to get a job with the show? Good grief, your defense of Bee is past the point of brown-nosing! Apparently Bee is able to take the negative comments since she dishes it out so well.

• Natalie says:

Brown nosing? Bahaha yeah okay…

• Seriously... says:

Well, if the shoe fits, (and from your comments, it does)…… I am a moderate Democrat, and I find this “person”, (can’t even call her female), to be unfunny, vile and a bully. If that’s OK with you, well, good luck with that.

9. Raul Jimenez says:

It’s time for this Bee to buzz away.

10. MMD says:

I just don’t get why everybody is arguing here. Samantha Bee made a mistake and apologized which is what most people do. If you like her show, continue watching. If you don’t change the channel. Simple as that.

• Big Cheddar says:

EXACTLY!!! At least she apologized. Not only that they re-edited the piece AND pulled it from youtube. All of this in less than 24 hours of airing.

11. SJ says:

Horrible, vile, hateful woman. Her and all who work on her show. Scum of the Earth. Just like most liberals.

12. loveNY says:

Why is Samantha Bee important? Her highest rating is only 1.6 million viewers. Out of 250 million adults in the US. That’s barely more than half of one percent of the adult population watching her.

13. readenreply says:

it’s still nazi hair. There are other haircuts he could have chosen, cancer or no cancer.

• Seriously... says:

Honest to God, suffering from stage 4 cancer, the man chose a haircut. However, for people like you and Bee–let’s have had him–must be a freaking CONSERVATIVE. You are an idiot just like she is.

• c-mo says:

So when a man shaves his head, he’s automatically a skinhead? Yikes! Parents, don’t let your kids watch the NBA anymore, the teams are full of skinheads!!!

• E. D. Boddy says:

Since when is there a such thing as “nazi hair”?

14. Nate says:

Cut her show. The only thing she should be saying is. May I take your order.

15. E. D. Boddy says:

Maybe ease up on using “NAZI!!!!” as the go-to joke would be a good idea. Didn’t the grand wizard of liberalism – Jon Stewart – say that a few years ago?