Designated Survivor Kirkman Shot

Ratings: Designated Survivor Returns Up, Modern Family Hits Low

ABC’s Designated Survivor resumed its freshman run on Wednesday night with 5.9 million total viewers and a 1.3 rating, up a tenth in the demo from its eternity-ago midseason finale.

Entering the back half of its season, it should be noted, Dez is ABC’s No.3-rated drama, behind Grey’s and Scandal.

On the sitcom side, Goldbergs (5.7 mil/1.7), Speechless (5 mil/1.5) and Modern Family (6.3 mil/1.9) were all down a tenth — with the latter dipping to an all-time demo low, just as contract talks are heating up — while black-ish (5.1 mil/1.4) slipped two tenths.

Over on CBS, Survivor 34 opened with 7.7 mil and a 1.7, placing second in the night in the demo though hitting series lows for a premiere. Criminal Minds: Beyond Borders (5.4 mil/0.9) added a few eyeballs versus its freshman finale, yet was down a tenth to a demo low.

Fox’s Lethal Weapon (5.9 mil/1.2) dipped 6 percent and two tenths to series lows, while Star (3.9 mil/1.1) was steady.

Want scoop on any of the above shows? Email InsideLine@tvline.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

1. Dominique says:

wow, i’m pleasantly surprised to hear about designated survivor’s ratings. i thought for sure they’d be down with such a long winter hiatus. glad to read they were up!

2. GuessWhat says:

I watched THREE hours of continuous SURVIVORY stuff last night. ha.

3. kmw says:

Nice that DS came back up but it wont stay there. Survivor still doing ok but not as great. MF finally went below 2’s. Poor FOX, LW is starting to fall and Star isn’t much better

4. Wrstlgirl says:

It’s gonna be a great season of Survivor with the game changers however, The Queen lost some points with me last night. Taunting is so annoying.

5. Cat says:

Very Reagan-esque moment with the Prez and his wife at the hospital window. Sounds like Tom Kirkman is FINALLY finding his inner Jack Bauer. Can’t wait to see how this develops.

6. Katherine215 says:

I’m bummed Lethal Weapon has fallen – it’s one of my favorite shows! I love how they’ve written Riggs especially. And I didn’t know it was only 18 episodes, so that bums me out, too.

• Wrstlgirl says:

At least it’s already renewed for season 2 so it will bounce back :-)

• Chris says:

I hope so, truly surprised me how much I love that show. Last nights episode was so good and the finale is gonna be great.

• MMD says:

Me too. I also thought last night’s episode was really good. I’m so glad that it’s renewed.

• drhenning says:

I so agree about LW.. a terrific episode last night.. Ratings are so pointless unless they figure out a way to process delayed viewing.. I myself, a former Nielsen household, only watch stuff even when I was metered on my DVR.. Only thing I watched live is sports.. I did end up watching many of the things I did on the same night so should have counted in ratings. only problem is I’m not a “Demo” viewer so I mean diddly squat..

• MMD says:

It’s really sad that you don’t count because those out of the demo are the ones with disposable income and haven’t moved back home with their parents. The entire ratings system needs to be changed and I have no idea how it works in Canada. A lot of times I have a choice of 2 times to watch, one on the American network or on a Canadian network (which never has over runs on Sunday night) :-)

• Katherine215 says:

I was very relieved when I remembered that last night!

7. Amber says:

Maybe it’s time for Modern Family to go. It’s just not a good show anymore. End it gracefully.

• CJKatl says:

Agreed. Modern Family has become callous and cringe-worthy. The characters are fake and the situations are forced. MF and The Middle went on the air in the same year. The Middle has improved with age. Last week’s episode was perfect; someone needs to hand Eden Sher an Emmy, or at least a nomination, for her reaction to Lexi’s comment about Axel. Recurring characters like Nancy and Chuck bring their own impact and are used well. Bringing back the gym teacher was fantastic. And a shout-out to Polly Holliday/aka Flo from Alice! On the other hand, I was embarrassed for the actors who play the weatherman, the gay couple and Claire while watching MR this week and really, Charles Barkley may have been the worst guest star ever, on any sitcom, in the history of TV. Instead of renegotiating contracts, why not end on low note rather than beat the dead horse into the ground?

• CIP says:

Agree. I stopped watching MF after the first couple of episodes of this season. The Middle is my favorite comedy on network tv followed by Mom.

• JenM says:

I love MF reruns, and genuinely want to love the show now, but I just don’t. Most of the kids are grown now, but they have come up with very forced story lines solely for the purpose of keeping everyone under 1 (or 3) roof. It’s just not funny anymore. I enjoyed Haley and Andy to a degree, but I lost what little interest I had left when he left the show. I’ll watch if it’s on, but it’s a shell of what it once was. Plan a strong final season that sees the Dunphy kids and Manny moving out and moving on and send the show out on a good note.

• Anonymous says:

New MF was past it’s prime when the hired Nathan Fillion to guest this season as creepy old weatherman dating someone young enough to be his daughter. Just atrocious. And he’s just not a good actor. Too one dimensional. Phoned it in on Castle the last few years. Wasn’t funny on MF either. Just sad. Guy is past his prime.

8. Brian says:

Sucks seeing Survivor so low.

9. Abby says:

I feel bad for CMBB. Because of Doubt, CBS only spent two weeks promoting it, and instead of debuting it behind Criminal Minds, they put it behind Survivor. I hope it adjusts up and gets better demo ratings being paired with Criminal Minds.

10. danoregon says:

I just don’t get Designated Survivor. Has Kirkman even reappointed a cabinet? Where are all the other people who would seem to be there to support a President? He seems all alone, all the time. Really weird.
    Don’t know if ABC is just cheap with the budget or what. You would think a former President or two would have been around to offer guidance. That maybe the Kirkmans would have some friends or family members around. Just an odd, odd, show.

11. Ally Oop says:

I love Designated Survivor. 3rd best show on the Big 5 American networks after This is Us and Grey’s Anatomy.