MacGyver Hawaii Five-0 Preview

MacGyver/Hawaii Five-0 Boss Reveals Crossover's First Planted Seed, Mulls 4-Night Event Folding In NCIS Universe

From almost the very first time TV’s new MacGyver whipped out his Swiss Army knife, a plan was afoot to eventually cross over the freshman CBS drama with its lead-out, Hawaii Five-0 — as will happen this Friday at 8/7c.

“There is a detail in the [MacGyver] pilot that, if you look closely — I cut out the part that actually was a little more obvious — on Jack’s gun in the flashback to Iraq, it said, ‘Aloha’ on the barrel,” Peter M. Lenkov, who serves as showrunner on both series, tells TVLine. “That was because Jack (played by George Eads) had actually met McGarrett while in the service, and that was a nod towards that friendship.”

MacGyver viewers never got a good look at Jack’s rifle barrel, but the ‘Aloha’ nod to Five-0‘s McGarrett was there.

Another nod came during MacGyver‘s Zodiac Killer-themed episode (in which Jack refers to a having an old buddy in Hawaii), while Five-0‘s Chin Ho recently name-checked the Phoenix Foundation, for which Mac, Jack et al execute covert ops.

“We’ve been playing around with the fact that the universes are the same,” Lenkov notes. “Because the [shows’] ingredients were similar, I always knew that they would somehow have some kind of fusion at some point.”

Setting the stage for Friday’s “fusion,” Lucas Till’s MacGyver and his team are on the way back from a mission, flying over the Pacific, when they get wind of and decide to help with an earthquake relief effort in Hawaii. There, they work with Five-0‘s Chin and Kono (Daniel Dae Kim and Grace Park) to rescue a group of trapped government scientists — all while some nefarious types plot to steal the top-secret weaponry from the compromised lab.

As the two pairs get to collaborating, Chin and Kono “are a little skeptical of MacGyver, with the nontraditional ways he’s going about the rescue effort. But I think he wins them over after a while,” Lenkov previews. “That even carries over to [Friday’s] Hawaii Five-0, where they talk about meeting this guy MacGyver who was pretty impressive.”

With Five-0 scheduling issues informing who would and would not get to participate in this first crossover, Lenkov expects that there will be more chances to actually reunite Jack and Alex O’Loughlin’s Steve McGarrett, and maybe get insight into their introduction. “Oh yeah, for sure. The plan is hopefully this is one of a few that we’ll do,” he says.

But when presented with the prospect of one day mining the full, shared CBS drama universe — Hawaii Five-0, after all, crossed over with NCIS: Los Angeles in May 2012, and NCIS‘ Hetty once appeared on Scorpion — Lenkov at first lets out a laugh. MacGyver to Five-0 to NCIS: LA to Scorpion to NCIS to NCIS: New Orleans! And then starts his wheels turning….

After all, during his time as a CSI: NY executive producer, he reminds, “We did a three-way crossover between all of the CSIs, and that was one of my favorite experiences, to see these iconic characters working together. So yeah, that would be supercool.”

Want scoop on any of the above shows? Email InsideLine@tvline.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

1. Kevin Tran says:

CBS should’ve come up with the idea of a MacGyver-Scorpion crossover episode.

2. Wrstlgirl says:

Yeah, I picked up on the old buddy comment a couple of weeks ago. Figured the crossover was coming soon. I’ll be watching.

3. Nina says:

So let me get this straight and hopefully someone answer. On Macgyver this Friday there wont be the first crossover episode but the first episode of the crossover will be on Hawaii? And the second episode of the crossover when it is going to be??

4. Haz says:

Please no. I dropped Chicago PD due them doing crossovers every other month and even avoided the NCIS/NCIS:NOLA crossover a couple of weeks back. These shows become way to jumbled for me when they start doing crossovers.

• KLS says:

Well, the recent NCIS/NCIS:NO crossover was poorly done (at least the NCIS first part was) and CBS splitting the shows up with Bull in the middle didn’t help, but normally they aren’t too confusing.

• steph says:

Yeah, that wasn’t really a crossover, just two completely separate cases with two characters showing up in New Orleans for the second one.

I don’t understand how anyone can get confused by crossovers – either you know the other characters and are happy to see them, or they’re just like any other random guest stars, so where’s the problem…

• DJ Doena says:

” or they’re just like any other random guest stars, so where’s the problem…”

Yes and no. Oftentimes when you use crossover characters you tend to avoid the guest’s background story. The writers just assume the viewer watches the other shows also and knows who this person is.

For example, look at the second episode of “Chicago Justice” which aired last Sunday. This episode (and not the first episode) was given to reviewers. In it a “P.D.” character (Atwater) is treated as if a new viewer of CJ must already know who he is and what his story is.

A regular guest would have been better introduced.

• steph says:

True, that’s a possibility, but I’ve never had that. On every crossover I’ve seen, I either already knew the characters or it wasn’t necessary to know their backstories…
            I think there’s a difference between franchises and separate shows: With spin-offs (like NCIS, or the Chicago shows), they probably assume that viewers are familiar with the “original”, which is often the case, and don’t bother introducing those characters. With crossovers between unrelated shows they’re usually trying to get viewers from both shows to start watching the other, so they’re aware that the audience might not know the characters beforehand and consider that.

5. jj says:

Making Thornton a villain is not acceptable. The writers and producers of the reboot need to have some respect for the original.

• loveNY says:

Yeah, gave up on that years ago when they made Jim Phelps (the original lead) the villain in the rebooted Mission Impossible. I’m now waiting for the Die Hard reboot with John McClane as the bad guy.

• PL says:

I agree, I actually liked the show better before they changed the head of the phoenix foundation. now its more of i need something to watch then i want to watch

• I suspect there is more to that story then what we’ve seen. Perhaps I’m overthinking it, but I think either Thornton was framed or this is a setup for something like her going undercover.

6. Jason says:

A cross-over that large would probably set a record, but it would be pretty epic. Logistics would certainly be tricky though. Hawaii, Los Angeles and New Orleans. A lot of time zones. The 4 CW superhero shows have the benefit of shooting in the same city.

7. V says:

I’m definitely watching, though I’d been hoping for another H50/NCIS:LA crossover since Alex O’Laughlin wasn’t in the first one (granted, due to medical reasons but still would have been nice to see how Alex and LL Cool J would have played off of each other. Here’s to hoping we get to see that happen this time).

• steph says:

I agree, I’d love to see Steve with the LA team! And Deeks should really get to go surfing on Hawaii sometime…

8. steph says:

If they’re so aware of all these shows taking place in the same universe, why on earth did they cast a recurring actress from NCIS:LA in a significant guest role on Hawaii 5-0? That’s still bugging me…
    Anyway, a big crossover would be great, I loved all the previous ones! (I don’t watch McGyver though, but I will this week to see the H50 characters…)

• Jared Munson says:

Well it’s the same as S. Epatha Merkerson starring in Chicago Med after appearing on SVU in her Law & Order character years ago

• Margo Langley says:

That’s director Dick Wolf’s loyalty to many of his primary and guest-star actors. I get that Hawaii 5-0 and MacGyver have the same director, but the two shows are so dissimilar! Most of Mr Wolf’s show had common themes (justice), or locales (New York, Chicago). I guess the Navy Seal “community” is all that’s needed for H5-0 crossovers!

• DJ Doena says:

Everyone has a look-alike. I got over this fact when ‘Smallville’ re-used guest actors for different roles all the time or when the Ashmore twins played two different characters and no one ever hinted at the similar looks.

• steph says:

I don’t mind a random victim/witness/suspect showing up again after a few years as a different random victim/witness/suspect, they’re usually forgettable and I probably won’t even notice. But someone memorable and/or significant, in an important multi-episode story arc? That’s just lazy, and insulting to long-time viewers – do they think we won’t notice?

• DJ Doena says:

No they expect you to use the same supsension of disbelief you are using when you see Matt Damon as a fallen angel and a WWII soldier. If you have a great actor and a good role to put him/her into this shouldn’t be hindered because they played another small part many years ago. These actors from Doctor Who had been on the show before they became Doctors / Companion: Peter Capaldi, Karen Gillan, Freema Agyeman.

Peter and Karen were even in the same episode during the reign of the 10th Doctor (“The Fires of Pompeii”)

• steph says:

Suspension of disbelief means “sure, they can enhance that blurry picture” or “of course they happen to show up at exactly the right time to witness this”, not accepting the same face as completely different characters. And as I said, I don’t mind it that much if it’s a small forgettable part and the actor comes back years later (even though the examples you mentioned still sound irritating) – but if it’s a significant character both times it’s just annoying.

• mary says:

Not any different than an actor appearing on a show as different characters. Denis O’Hare, Law & Order 4+ times as completely different characters.

9. Cat says:

Don’t watch the new MacGyver and won’t watch it as a cross-over! George Eads as Jack Dalton is ALL Wrong as is the “new” MacGyver himself. Usually watch Hawaii 5-0 but might just skip the crossover episode.

10. sherry says:

Don’t know if I will be tuning in since I don’t watch the new macgyver

11. badgerly says:

So they’re expecting a renewal for MacGyver. With only six episodes left for HF-0 after Friday, I guess we’ll see a Steve/Jack meet-up next season. Kind of p.o.’d it didn’t happen for this week. I like George Eads much more than Lucas Till. MacGyver is going to need all the help it can get.

12. Jeff Mac says:

one big problem that I see in doing a major crossover with NCIS is the new head of the Phoenix foundation is the person who is Abby’s friend at the CDC

13. dreminem82 says:

Matt Dadmon need a amazing ideea to The New jason Bourne movie a cooparattion with Hawaii 5 O its a cool for this project

14. MidNite says:

Macgyver and the Scorpion crew working together……hello yeah!!!