Jason Isaacs Star Trek

Jason Isaacs Joins Star Trek: Discovery Cast as Captain Lorca

Star Trek: Discovery has beamed Jason Isaacs directly into the captain’s chair.

The Awake and OA actor has joined the CBS All Access drama in the series-regular role of Captain Lorca, the captain of the Starship Discovery, TVLine has confirmed.

He joins an ensemble that also includes Sonequa Martin-Green as Lieutenant Commander Rainsford, James Frain as Spock’s dad Sarek, Doug Jones as science officer Saru and Michelle Yeoh as captain of the Shenzhou.

The oft-delayed new Trek series is expected to launch “sometime [in] late summer, early fall,” CBS chairman Les Moonves recently told investors. Discovery was originally set for a January debut, then May, before being pushed back again.

“It’s important to get it right,” Moonves said. “Star Trek is the family jewels. We’re not going to rush it in. There’s a lot of post-production. But I’m very confident based on what I’ve seen so far.”

Discovery has been plagued by troubling headlines since it was announced. Along with the aforementioned postponements, original showrunner Bryan Fuller cut all ties with the series in October.

Isaacs teased his casting on Twitter Tuesday morning:

1. Michelle says:

2. Jennifer says:

This just got more interesting. Still not sure if I’d pay for just one show. Then again, it is Star Trek.

• Tom says:

Just have to save your free trial until after its over and binge watch it in one week. That’s my plan at least.

• Billy Bob Johnson says:

Trust me, Moonves will figure out a way to exclude it from the free trial period. Or worse, they’ll figure out a way of preventing binge watching it.

• Tom says:

Maybe they drop the free trial, but if they only let you watch a set number of episodes per month, that service will fail fast, and then maybe it ends up on actual TV!

3. Annie Sisk says:

I am so ridiculously excited about this, I CANNOT EVEN TELL YOU PEOPLE.

4. Phillip says:

5. notawhitemale says:

I’m pretty sure 3 white male captains in the span of 5 series worth of captains means they’re good to go for filling their white male captain quota for a few more series before introducing ANOTHER WHITE MALE CAPTAIN. Hell… at least pick a Mexican-white male… or an Asian white male if you HAVE TO HAVE ANOTHER WHITE MALE CAPTAIN!!! #LLAP #trekkiesunite

• Tom says:

Nice racist rant. Glad you judged him on his skin color instead of his acting ability and body of work.

• notawhitemale says:

Not judging the actor… judging the writers and the casting of his position. Nice job twisting the point.

• Jennifer says:

Ever think they had others audition for the part? And they just didn’t measure up?

• notawhitemale says:

Valid point – I’ve just always loved and appreciated the diversity-factor that Star Trek has had since day one when it had a black, female, Lieutenant as communications officer. As a trekkie, I just feel let down in this.

• Tom says:

So your judging the writers and casting director off the color of the skin of the person they picked, instead of that person’s acting ability and body of work. Solid justification.

• notawhitemale says:

*you’re *of
            Guessing you’re a white male? One of the beautiful points of Star Trek “ideology”, if you will, is its amazing ability to diversify and cross lines that we are still trapped by in our world. I’m not going to apologize for feeling “let down” by this choice in their casting. If there were several series running back to back out there and we didn’t have to wait with baited breath for the next one to hopefully come along after years, I wouldn’t care so much. But since the selection is small, I wish they’d approached this differently.

• Jennifer says:

I’ll give you the correction of “your” to “you’re” but I’m thinking the “off” is correct. It works in the context as “off”

• kurtwisener says:

Yes, we’re judging them. Star Trek has a white guy-in-charge problem and always has. It is evident throughout the entire franchise’s history. When the color of skin is MADE TO BE A FACTOR by the people authoring a thing we get to point out that they are favoring their own without being the same brand of regressive idiot they are. Consider, evolve, prosper. Love and light, Pal.

• Tom says:

Being a racist grammar Nazi who names themselves “notawhitemale” is no way to go through life.

The show has revealed 4 characters. 3 women, 1 man. 2 minority, 2 white. 2 Captains, 1 LT, one Mom of Spock. The LT is the lead, and is a black woman. The 2 Captains are likely “lead” characters, but not the lead, are an Asian woman and a white guy. Mom of Spock is Mom of Spock and I am assuming white because you know Mom of Spock.

Trying to argue this show has any kind of White guy problem, means that you find having any white male character in a position of authority to be wrong. Which means you, YES YOU, ARE THE RACIST. Not wanting a character to succeed based on the color of the skin, not wanting a character to be put in a position of power based on the color of their skin, IS RACIST.

• lrdslvrhnd says:

Tom: Dad of Spock, actually.

• Temperance says:

I guess that you missed that the LEAD is not a captain, but an African-American female, and that the other captain is a ASIAN WOMAN. Another cast member is an alien. I guess you need some cheese with that inaccurate whine.

• Esteban says:

um isn’t the LEAD CHARACTER the lieutenant cmmdd a WOC from Walking Dead?? Not everything is a nail when u r a hammer.

• Hmmmmmm...... says:

Since the captain is not the lead character of the series, who says that the person sitting in the captain’s chair won’t be a green male, or a blue male, or even a gold android? We have no idea what they have planned for the character that will just happen to be played by a English human male.

• Temperance says:

Based on current racial percentages, they’re quite in balance bub. Sorry, don’t care about the sour grapes. And they added a female Asian captain, so I guess you’re whining pointlessly.

6. Jim says:

Thought they weren’t going to have a captain??

7. Mark says:

I guess I missed that Michelle Yeoh would be the captain of a different ship. I always thought she was the Discovery captain. Will she be on the show very much?

8. ludivine Vernet says:

I really like him. I loved him in Jackson Brodie!

9. Billy Bob Johnson says:

Netflix has the global rights to the show, but they can’t show it in North America. I’ll wait until the All Access thing fails miserably and it gets included in my Netflix subscription. CBS will not be getting a cent out of me. *Bleep* Moonves!

• dragons3 says:

Good decision. I took the 2 week trial period to catch up on current season shows I’d missed and they are terrible. Website is poorly organized and has no discernable logic, picture and sound quality are horrible, and there is NO customer support/service. Epic FAIL.
      I like Isaac and look forward to seeing him in this show, but, they’ve been teasing us with the show for over a year and are STILL casting it? What the frell?!!

10. btm says:

Jason Isaacs is some more great casting for this show. With both Sonequa Martin-Green and Michelle Yeoh in the cast, I’m not sure that the diversity complaints are well founded, with African Americans, Asians, and women represented in the core cast thus far. Despite past ST series that have focused on the captain, this series is purportedly going to be different. SMG is the series lead, not the ship captain (though I suppose it could evolve into an ensemble like many other ST series). At any rate, out of the gate I’d say that ST is hardly abandoning its diversity roots, but embracing them.
    I’m a big fan of the past work of Isaacs, Yeoh and Frain. As a ST fan, this is the show that might tempt me to pay for this service, however much I resent this evolution in on-demand television. It will basically comes down to how well they nail the free preview, and I suspect there is a ton riding on this show’s pilot. Many potential viewers will be in the same boat. Strong casting decisions certainly help, but ST series often take time to find their voice. CBS’ All Access decision means that won’t be an option for ST:D. It needs to be good, and it needs to be good in episode one. That’s asking an awful lot.

11. Marty maples says:

I’m a huge fan, but we already pay so much to watch the channels we have now. How much more can people afford to pay out. Now you want us to pay to watch your show. It has to be a great pilot episode to get me to pay more.

12. Bella says:

Since there’s no character description, maybe he’s an alien. Lorca could be a name from a few different species, apart from human.

13. Yashima says:

I am absolutely thrilled. He is an amazing actor. Absolutely perfect for the show.

14. Mela says:

So far 13 characters were announced and only 4 of them are women. It seems like the casting is again sexist, just like it was with all the other Star Trek series.

15. liame says:

Sorry CBS but I have to pay for the new health insurance, no more splurges for me, womp womp ;(.

16. tony says:

hello, jason issacs.

17. I thought they said that the captain was going to be a woman! And if Sonequa Martin-Green is going to do this, then what happens to Sasha on The Walking Dead? Are they going to kill her off? Hope not!