Pete Davidson SNL

SNL's Pete Davidson Reveals Why He's 'Kinda Been Missing on the Show'

Saturday Night Live cast member Pete Davidson has taken to social media to explain his recent absence from the NBC sketch series.

In an Instagram post on Monday night, Davidson revealed that he has stopped drinking and using drugs, a process that had led him to step back from SNL‘s current 42nd season.

“Just wanted to let you guys know I’m okay. I know I’ve kinda been missing, on social media and on the show. I quit drugs and am happy and sober for the first time in 8 years,” the 23-year-old wrote. “It wasn’t easy, but I got a great girl, great friends and I consider myself a lucky man. I’ll always be here for you guys, I promise.”

Davidson continued, “Remember to never give up hope because sometimes that’s all we got. We are a family and I appreciate all your love and support. It’s nice to be back in action.”

The comedian has previously been open about using medical marijuana to help his struggle with Crohn’s disease. Read his full Instagram post below:

1. TV Gord says:

Good for him. Crohn’s is a tough thing to manage when you’ve got a lot of stress in your life (It’s a vicious cycle), so I’m glad to see him sorting out his priorities. His fans will be here when he has everything worked out.

• DL says:

Absolutely. Major respect to him. I use medicinal cannabis myself, while healing from 12 years of Lyme disease that was misdiagnosed as fibromyalgia. But I’m getting better; he’s going to have to deal with Crohn’s his whole life. I actually quit like he did back when I thought my “fibro” was incurable. It was not easy. Huge props to Mr. Davidson.

2. Joey Padron says:

Happy and proud of Pete. Glad he’s doing better now and can’t wait to see him back on SNL.

3. Kevin Tran says:

Very proud of Pete explaining how he was MIA on last week’s SNL. Really hope he comes back for the Scarlett Johansson showing this week.

4. LaDonna says:

I have two friends (twin sisters) who suffer from Crohn’s. It’s a terrible and sometimes painful disease. Glad to hear that he is taking care of himself and working to end his addiction while fighting such an ugly battle.

5. Billy Bob Johnson says:

Good for him. Keep the faith, Pete.

6. Jimmy says:

Good for him. I mostly noticed Bobby’s absence all season rather than Pete’s recently.

7. Alyson says:

Good for him. I wish him the best. Getting sober isn’t easy.

Now can someone explain where Bobby has been??

• Will says:

agreed – I know Bobby’s going to do a pilot but still all season he’s been MIA.

Didn’t realize Pete had been gone much… aside from these last few eps

8. CC says:

Wish the best for him! I have Crohn’s so I know how hard managing that is and plus battling an addiction on top of it must be a real struggle!

9. DV says:

You’re mixing him up with yourself as someone who isn’t missed.

10. Chris says:

Good for you Pete, always been one of my favorite additions to the new cast can’t wait to see you back more when your ready.

11. J says:

I dislike how it sounds as though they’re demonizing marijuana and classifying it as some major drug he had to get off of. As someone whose life has been saved buy marijuana, this disturbs me.

• BabyFirefly says:

I didn’t get that from the article, other than the mention of medical pot. Are you basing that off of other sources? It’s also entirely possible I just didn’t see it due to my own strong belief in the benefits of medical marijuana, and refusal to put it in the same category as other (harder, nonmedicinal) drugs.