TVLine Items: Eyewitness Cancelled, Nashville Alum's ABC Pilot and More

USA Network’s Eyewitness report has come to an end.

The cabler has cancelled the crime drama after one season, our sister site Deadline reports.

Eyewitness — which was adapted from the Norwegian program Øyevitne — centered around two teenage boys (played by Tyler Young and James Paxton) who witness a triple-homicide during a romantic encounter in a cabin. The show also starred Julianne Nicholson (Masters of Sex) and Gil Bellows (Ally McBeal).

Ready for more of today’s newsy nuggets? Well…

* Oliver Hudson (Nashville) will star opposite Jenna Fischer in the ABC comedy pilot Splitting Up Together, from Suburgatory creator Emily Kapnek, per Deadline. The potential series follows a couple (Fischer and Hudson) whose marriage is reignited by their divorce.

* Richard Cabral (American Crime) has joined the cast of FX’s Sons of Anarchy spinoff pilot Mayans MC, playing Johnny “El Coco” Cruz, a former Army sharpshooter and a member of the Mayans MC biker gang, Deadline reports.

* USA Network’s Chrisley Knows Best scored its most-watched season premiere ever last week, drawing 2.9 million total viewers (in Live+3 ratings), while rising 17 percent year-over-year in the 18-49 demo.

1. tjchurch2001 says:

Time for Oliver to return to fill the space so many feel will exist without Connie!! (Not to mention that show was done as “Happy Endings”!!)

Also, when will someone truly “Know Best”, finish the trial I read about & put Todd Chrisley in a cell with Madoff?

2. Emor says:

I really wish USA would go back to the Monk/Psych/White Collar style shows. Reality is depressing enough, I don’t need my tv shows the same way.

• Jennifer says:

I agree with you 100%

• Wordsmith says:

That’s true – they have abandoned their “Blue sky” brand in favor of more dark and gritty fare for a couple of seasons now, but I wonder if that will shift back, given the increased need for escapism these days.

• tjchurch2001 says:

For everyone wanting escapism, there are viewers realizing shows like tonight’s “Suits” are set in New York or towns that truly exist, & they should show how those (& most other) towns truly are, even if they air when the work-day/school-day is completed.

• johnhelvete says:

Guess it depends on how “dark” or “gritty” you think Shooter is. Shooter did very well for USA, and they might be interested in newer shows that have a similar feel. I dont see them going back to making procedurals, and several of the “blue skies” shows were character driven procedurals which spent more time with the characters then on the procedural aspect of the episode.

• Wanda says:

Agree. I miss those.

• JayJ says:

+1 Emore!

• Troy says:

Man I miss Cover Affairs!

3. PatriciaLee says:

So, did they wind it up for the fans?

• tjchurch2001 says:

What do you mean?! Cancellation means it had no fans & nobody witnessed it! (These jokes write themselves, as will the show from now on!)

• Wrstlgirl says:

No, it means not enough people watched. I did and enjoyed it. It had a nice ending so I’m fine with that.

• tjchurch2001 says:

Enough people watched if only you & members of the family did. ANY series ending would be a good ending.

They need to end with a crossover where we can all “Eyewitness” them all getting put ion prison, & “Pearson Specter Litt Ross Zane” speak on behalf of Americans with the network’s own tapes as video evidence of all the time & money the family has stolen from viewers!

• Natalie says:

I enjoyed it too! The acting was great!

4. Kim says:

DANG!!! Hate to hear that about Eyewitness, I really enjoyed watching it.

5. Jennifer says:

Can someone please explain the appeal of Chrisley Knows Best? It seems so stupid.

• tjchurch2001 says:

I’m still waiting for the crossover with Suits when at least one of the family gets indicted or something on/in the fed case & they go to prison.

Regardless, nobody disagrees it looks stupid, but they keep watching for it to, so it gets ratings to earn renewal.

• Jj says:

I’ve been wondering this myself. Is the whole joke that he doesn’t know he’s gay?

6. Collette says:

I’ve never even heard of Eyewitness.

• lou says:

That’s the problem, it has been cancelled because it has not been promoted much and so only a few people were here to watch it when it aired… I am personnally in love with it and I advice you to try it ! ;)

• Lilly says:

I loved it too. I really don’t see where they could have gone with a season two though – unless they broke up one of the couples or introduced a love triangle that I would have hated – so at least it got to finish at a good point.

• tjchurch2001 says:

It was promoted plenty!! Watching admittedly a mix of new episodes of “Suits” or “Queen Of The South”, etc. & reruns of “NCIS: LA”, I could not get away from ads for that show (& specific new episodes). However, I never did see a single thing that made me want to tune in for one of them.

• Tai says:

Only reason I even vaguely knew of the show was because of posts I saw on like Tumblr talking about the show. I still had no idea what channel it was on and was completely surprised to find out that it was on USA.

• steven says:

I only know the Eyewitness series of science videos.

7. Ram510 says:

Nice to see Oliver Hudson will be back on a comedy. Hope it gets picked up

8. Jared says:

Grant it I don’t watch anything on USA currently so maybe they advertised a lot on that network, but I’ve been waiting for Eyewitness and didn’t even realize it premiered already. I thought it was a Summer series.

9. Ian says:

Truly too bad about Eyewitness. It was supposed to be an anthology series anyway, but that first season had a fantastic cast and a good twitter following. At least it had a proper ending though.

10. Amelia says:

I haven’t heard of Eyewitnesses but man, what a horrible week for James Paxton.

11. Ilana Kashi says:

Eyewitness deserves another season. It’s an amazing show. The best. Please give them a new home

12. Marie58 says:

Will Richard Cabral be leaving “Lethal Weapon,” or will he be able to do both shows?

13. liame says:

Eyewitness was an interesting show. Too bad it was cancelled. Bill Paxton’s (RIP) son played one of the teenagers, Lukas, the tall skinny blonde.

14. AD says:

With all the crap that on tv these days, USA cancels Eyewitness, a show that is head AND shoulders above 90% of them. STUPID, absolutely STUPID.