Oscars 2017: The 21 Best, Worst and Most Uncomfortable Moments

Denzel Washington officiating a wedding. Seth Rogen breaking into an impromptu Hamilton performance. Oh, and La La Land incorrectly being named Best Picture. Those were just a few of the truly bizarre things that took place at the 89th Annual Academy Awards.

Late-night funnyman Jimmy Kimmel managed to do a decent job as Oscars host — which, if you haven’t repressed all memories of James Franco and Anne Hathaway’s 2011 hosting stint, you’ll know is no small feat. Sure, we could’ve done without his tired banter with frenemy Matt Damon, all of the attention paid to Mel Gibson, or that lackluster edition of Mean Tweets, but that was the worst of what an otherwise entertaining three-plus hours had to offer.

As for the good stuff: Viola Davis gave an all-time great acceptance speech. Lion star Sunny Pawar made the cutest Lion King ever. And Meryl Streep ate a Junior Mint! Want more of the best (and worst) moments the 2017 Oscars had to offer? Join us right here for the after-party.

Check out the attached gallery — or click here for direct access — to see our picks, then hit the comments and tell us which moments we left out that you may have included.

1. M3rc_Nate says:

Frak OJ, he’s a murderer. That joke was gold.

2. Lysh says:

It was pretty long, but dang, what an ending. My Twitter feed hasn’t been so on fire since the golden showers story. Great show!

3. badgerly says:

What an ending. I’m glad at least that Moonlight won, instead of the ridiculously over-hyped La La Land
    There were some good parts of the Oscar show, but not a lot attributable to Jimmy Kimmel. He is such a jerk, and his endless schtick with poor Matt Damon got old a long time ago.

4. Jeselnik Fan says:

The two “writers” of this article could not possibly be more biased against Kimmel. You guys seem like a ton of fun.

5. Red Snapper says:

Overall, I thought it was a pretty great Oscars. It ran a little long and a few bits could have been cut but I think Kimmel did a good job as the host. We were laughing pretty much the whole time. Maybe its just me but I love the Jimmy Kimmel/Matt Damon faux feud, its the best long running joke around. There were a couple of upsets which always makes the show better. The ending sure was a surprise though. I felt bad for everyone involved. For the people of La La Land for thinking they won and learning they didn’t. For Warren Beatty and Faye Dunaway for getting the wrong card. For the people of Moonlight not getting the moment they should have. Mistakes happen and I think everyone handled it really well.

6. Nick says:

I like Viola Davis but you have got to be kidding me about an all-time great acceptance speech. The second she said:
    “…because we are the only profession that celebrates what it means to live a life.”
    the rest of it was meaningless to me. It’s self-important crap like this that helped put Donald Trump into office. Teachers…. no they don’t celebrate what it means to live a life … Doctors, Nurses, Fireman, Police, Armed Forces ….. oh maybe they save a life but they have no idea what it’s like to be an actor and actually celebrate what it means to live a life. Once again Hollywood wants to tell the rest of us how to feel and how to live because they have all the answers. Give me a break!

• Reba says:

🙌🏻 I’m a nurse and that’s exactly how I felt! I’m happy that she won, she deserved it, but her speech wasn’t as great as the hype it’s getting.

• gdv says:

Interesting. Maybe it’s just me, but I didn’t interpret that the same way you did. I think she was trying to say that acting lets you celebrate the human condition. So “living” a life through ups and downs and through many different lenses. Which I get. I would argue that acting isn’t the only profession that does this—you could interpret this into many other professions, and not just the arts. But I get what she was trying to say.

• Lizzie says:

Surgeons and OBs, those are two professions that celebrate what it means to live a life. I love Viola Davis, was really happy for her to add to her award trove, but the speech went a little manic before it calmed down to being more classy.

• dee says:

I thought Viola’s point was that actors get to celebrate different lives. A nurse is a nurse, a teacher is a teacher, etc. but an actor can be both plus a President, garbage man, cowboy, etc.
        But that’s just me.

My only real issue with her was that she spoke too long.

7. N!loofar says:

Anousheh Ansari’s moment was the best.

8. Shru says:

What’s with all the Kimmel hate? I thought he did a pretty good job. Hell of a lot better than the last two hosts.

Also the Matt Damon jokes are still hilarious. And the flying candy bit was sweet.

9. Sarah Bean says:

Haters gonna hate.
    Jimmy Kimmel did an amazing job. I laughed every time he was on the screen. He made light of an extremely over the top love fest of celebrities celebrating celebrities for 3 hours!!!
    His jokes were great and the only thing tired about the night, was this recap.
    I literally disagreed with every post about him.
    You should have to have a disclaimer at the beginning of your list that you’re biased against him.
    His feud with Matt Damon is tired?? What?? It’s the best running comedy but around.
    So, so disappointed with this lack lustre round up.
    Looks like you were forcing things to complain about.

And lastly, really? You’re worried about an off colour OJ joke? Just a reminder he’s a criminal…. but ok.

• chris says:

I enjoyed the Matt Damon stuff as well but after 10:30, I groaned every time Kimmel showed up because it just made the show so long. After two hours, I just want to hear the results and listen to the winners. The second and third candy drops were not necessary and the sightseers thing was not as well. While each bit might have been funny, they only made a show that is famously too long seem longer.

10. Billy Bob Johnson says:

Millennials…Lazy and dumb as posts.

11. Anne says:

I actually really enjoyed the Matt Damon trolling he did all night. The “Ben Afflect and Guest” bit was delightful, with playing the music every time he spoke.

12. Ana says:

This Oscars was so classless. The JT opening number, the Mean Tweets the Matt Damon jokes, I get it that’s Jimmy’s thing, but that is not what this night is supposed to be about. The whole thing felt very Kardashian, I expected one of them to pop up at any moment. Shame on the Academy and ABC for letting JK take it there.

13. dude says:

I dont think Jessica Chastain’s confusion was over not knowing what white balance was but just being generally confused by the randomness of that “mean tweet.”

• Lizzie says:

People who don’t spend a lot of time adjusting their TV would have no idea what “white balance” is.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

“White balance” in this instance is when the camera man briefly aims lens at a plain white card, to establish “pure white” for the camera before rolling.

• TV Gord says:

It’s actually relates to the camera, not the TV. TV cameras need to focus on something white, to balance its settings. I’m a radio reporter, and I’m always holding up pieces of paper for camera people at news conferences and scrums.

14. Dominique says:

i thought jimmy did a really good job and most of the jokes were genuinely funny. also i’m glad he made so many jokes about trump. how else are we supposed to deal with that clown? people needed if ater his first terrible month as potus.
    viola’s speech was beautiful and powerful, so much respect for her.
    i forgot his name, but the guy from la la land who KNEW they’d lost and still took the time to thank everybody, going on like nothing was wrong, before finishing with “oh we lost by the way” should not have done that/ he prolonged the moment even more, a moment that wasn’t theirs.
    i’m glad moonlight won, it’s such an underrated movie.

15. Gospino says:

Kimmel did pretty well overall. I hated the Kate McKinnon playing dumb thing. It was forced, stupid, and a waste of time. The tour boss bit went better than I expected. I liked the first guy especially – – Gary?

16. TV Gord says:

I think Jimmy did a great job! What keeps the Damon feud fresh is that they always ramp it up a little more each time. Some of those insults hit pretty close to home. There’s always a chance that one of them will go too far, and that’s what makes it fun. Also, the OJ joke has hilariously awkward. Just the right amount of edginess.

I love that Colbert is finally beating Fallon in total audience (can a demo win be far behind?), but I don’t get why Kimmel is trailing them both. He is the most consistently funny of the three.

The only Kimmel bit that disappointed me was the Mean Tweets. They’re usually funnier.

All in all, I found this to be the most entertaining Oscar in years (which is saying something for me, since I didn’t see any of the nominated movies this year).

17. Darin Hayes says:

Wow what a couple of clowns and I am guessing, guys under 30, who wrote this. Lighten up fellas, intern somewhere else where you dont need a sense of humour.

18. pickles says:

Denzel Washington looked terrible. He died his hair and really made him look older.

19. Tennisnsun says:

I thought Kimmel did one of the better jobs as host. I liked the interventions in the otherwise pretty boring gig with the candy drop and bus tour group. I did not like the attention paid to OJ with the bit about the extra piece of baloney.. Man’s a brutal murderer not a joke. Besides we are well aware that he’s already full of baloney……..

20. This writer was probably high or something, I loved Kimmel”s hosting. Most i’ve laughed at the oscars ever.

21. hopemullinax says:

Bringing Katherine Johnson on stage to get recognition was another highlight of the night for me. That was an incredible moment.

22. did you get enough sleep before you wrote this? cranky cranky

23. DZ says:

I thought Jimmy Kimmel did a great job. He was funny and personable all night. And the “We Bought a Zoo” bit was hilarious!

24. dsrbroadway says:

Why you guys pissing on Kimmel’s bits? You seem to forget he’s like 2nd or 3rd in the ratings, so obviously his audience his small, but loyal. And this fan was excited to see how his long-running bits would translate to a billion viewers, and was overly pleased how well they played on the big stage. Were you upset when Letterman did his Top 10 on his Oscars?

25. Ann says:

The WORST part of the show was when Jimmy Kimmel made fun of that Asian tourist woman’s name because it was to “Asian” for him and he couldn’t pronounce it. He preferred the Americanized name of her husband, Patrick, instead. Way to show diversity and acceptance in Hollywood! I swear, these celebrities are such hypocrites!