Seth Meyers Tears Into President Trump for Transgender Rights Reversal

Seth Meyers, refusing to sit idly by while President Donald Trump revoked basic civil rights, channeled his outrage on Thursday into an impassioned edition of the popular segment “Hey!”

In a biting piece of commentary, the Late Night host addressed POTUS’ controversial decision to reverse President Barack Obama’s policies on public schools letting transgender students use the bathrooms that correspond with their gender identity.

“As I understand it, you were elected to bring jobs back to the U.S. Now you don’t want to let transgender kids use the bathroom of the gender they identify with? Do you think that’s why the auto industry went to Mexico? For the bathrooms?” Meyers inquired, sarcastically. “First you demonize Muslims, then immigrants, and now the transgender community. Hey, just because you want to bring back coal mining doesn’t mean you have to bring back everything from the 1800s.”

Meyers then went on to point out Trump’s campaign promise to support the LGBT community, before alleging that the Commander in Chief himself was a far more likely danger to anyone using a public bathroom.

“During the election, you told the LGBT community that — and I quote — ‘I will fight for you.’ Did you not mean to include the word ‘for’?” he asked. “There’s apparently this fear that transgender kids are using [these rights] as a ruse to sneak into restrooms and grab people by the genitals, but if you’re looking for the kind of person who would do that, you need to look no further than the Oval Office.”

Press PLAY on the clip above to watch Meyers’ “Hey!,” then discuss it amongst yourselves below.

1. Charles says:

the opening line of this “article”: Seth Meyers, refusing to sit idly by while President Donald Trump revoked BASIC CIVIL RIGHTS, is the problems with journalism. You are to report the news without a bias or agenda. Bottom line is if you have a penis. go with the penises. Once the surgery is complete, have at it . It is not a civil right to make other people uncomfortable. Why does the left relate everything to emotion (except global warming and creationism, the only science they embrace) instead of logic.

• Mary says:

Maybe the same way the right invokes fear and lies to fit their agenda. The truth is transgender have been using the bathroom they identify with for years and guess what no problem and you that are so uncomfortable didn’t even realize it. You should be more uncomfortable going to the bathroom with the fools in Congress because they have been the ones who have been guilty of acts, not the transgender. You do comprehend that being uncomfortable is an emotion right, so who is truly relating everything to emotion. Logic is you go in do your business and leave pure and simple.

• Charles says:

I agree but what happened right after the EO (from Obama ) occurred and a lot of companies ( such as Target) changed their policy, or more clearly made them public, incidents of MEN not trans-gendered, entered women’s bathrooms, with no recourse other than the ones made uncomfortable having to leave or deal with it. This, to me is not a trans-rights issue, it is ( and as a man I can verify this) that men are dumb and do dumb things, not all. but enough.
        some make a point of transgendered feeling uncomfortable, but there are two sides and some women state that feel uncomfortable, so since the rule was changed arbitrarily, who’s feeling are to be discounted?

• Mary says:

In all seriousness how many guys have actually just walked into a ladies room. I am not young and I don’t remember any to be honest, maybe once at a bar because they went through the wrong door. Did I freak out, NO, was I uncomfortable, NO. It is sad really that obviously many of these people live in such fear of something that might happen. I acquaint this whole debate on one thing only and you’re not going to like it, discrimination.

• Terri Johnson says:

Charles, no – that did not happen and more over you just exposed yourself as ignorant of public bathroom etiquette.
          And let’s be clear: committing a crime in the bathroom is a crime regardless of your dress. Banning trans children from using the bathroom of their identity doesn’t make bathrooms safer.

2. Guest says:

To quote the TV show The 100; “go float yourself Meyers and Tvline.” Oh and Tvline, your opening sentence is invalid. Basic civil rights for a 40 year old man to flaunt his genitalia around a 10 year old girl is not civil rights at all. The 10 year old girl has those civil rights not the sicko man.

• Mary says:

Transgender don’t flaunt it seriously. Women restrooms have stalls. You go in lock the door and do your business then leave. Talk about exaggeration. Seriously your statement has no validity.

• Birdie1037 says:

Mary, I applaud your efforts. But, you cannot change a bigot’s mind. Trans people are much more likely to be assaulted in bathrooms, not these children they are trying so hard to protect. Their arguments are absurd and make zero sense. I am sure they have been in the bathroom with many trans people and have never even noticed.

Also, like Seth said, if you are worried about someone grabbing genitals without permission look no further than the oval office. Mr. “Grab ’em by the p*ssy” himself.

• Cas says:

i wasn’t aware that you pee in public and not in a stall? Also, as a woman I don’t need your protection. I personally am more afraid of people like you being in the same room as me as opposed to a transgender using the effin stall next to me.

3. David says:

Sorry, people should not be able to use a bathroom of the opposite gender. All they need to do is create seperate single use restrooms for anyone. Most stores already do this and call them family restrooms. These facilities should be avaliable everywhere for anyone to use, but keep men’s rooms and women’s restrooms seperate. If the “family” restroom is occupied and you really can’t wait, then use your gender restroom if necessary. Hell, as a gay guy, I hate using the trough in bars and some of those stalls in bas are missing the doors to make it convienient. So I wouldn’t mind havin a “family” or gender neutral restroom to goto… but don’t punish the 98% who are not trans to satisfy the 2%. Just look for a universal solution to satisfy the 2% that is equal.

• Brooke says:

Right, people don’t want to use the bathrooms of the “opposite gender.” So women – including trans women – just want to pee in peace in the women’s restroom without anyone obsessing over them.

4. Katie Picard says:

People that agree with Trumps decision make literally no sense to me. I’m not even sure I understand why anyone cares. Is the concern that transgender people will be checking out like-gender-ed people in the bathroom? That’s insane. Gay people exist. They use the same restrooms as the gender they are sexually interested in. Do people sit around, pulling their hair out over that? No, because people know better, these days, than to think that just because someone is a little bit different, they’re automatically an amoral degenerate. The fact that we are even having this discussion is ridiculous.

• Bill says:

Bc since that stupid law it enabled perverts to just walk into women’s restrooms that’s why. Simple enough whatever equipment you have, use that bathroom. It worked fine for ages without incident. The second the rule was changed and boom perverts walked into wherever they please. These people ruined it for trans people.

5. Debbie says:

When using a public restroom, I stand a better chance of running into someone who doesn’t flush than someone grabbing my genitals or waggling their own at me. If you really feel the need to legislate our public restrooms, let’s see him sign an EO for one that will actually help people.

6. Eva says:

People are sooo hung up on the idea of separate gender toilets, I never understood that. Make them unisex, put stalls in, everyone can go in, nobody will see anybody’s genitals. Seriously, separate bathrooms serve no purpose whatsoever.

• ninergrl6 says:

I use a unisex bathroom at work every day. It never even crosses my mind unless the previous user has left the seat up, and that takes literally 1 second to fix. Let people go where ever they want! It SO doesn’t matter.

7. R.O.B. says:

Trump did not issue an Executive Order eliminating transgender rights. He reversed an executive order and simply put the decision into the hands of the individual states, where it belongs. Like it or not, the reality is that there are many parents that are concerned that there are people out there that will use this rule to their advantage and put their children at risk. Even if it makes their children uncomfortable, that infringes on their right to privacy from the opposite sex. So how do you stop a predator from cross-dressing and entering the women’s room? Will there be someone standing at each restroom door to interrogate everyone who enters to make sure they are truly transsexual? Of course not. Therein lies the problem. Nobody is saying transgender individuals cannot use the restroom. Only that states can decide whether to REQUIRE businesses to build a separate all-gender bathroom or if they don’t have the resources to do so, permit people to use whatever bathroom they wish.

• A Person says:

The problem is that we have states that do not support equal rights for all. And if you’re argument is that trans people should move to a state that doesn’t treat them like second class citizens, imagine how easy it is to uproot your entire life. Second, transsexual and transgender are not the same thing. Third, if the issue is perverts and not trans people, why is the argument about what bathroom a trans person uses. Why isn’t the argument about sexual predator prevention? I have an idea: because this is disguised transphobia. It’s amazing how we so easily forget the obstacles that other marginalized groups faced in history.

• NoToDT says:

The issue is to find a universal solution that doesn’t further marginalize more people. Private unisex bathrooms is a solution that will make both parties happy .By trying to accommodate the 5% or so of Trans people, we are further alienating a bigger % of people and this is how DT “won”. White conservatives who feel more marginalized than ever – which is ridiculous, I know.

• Ben says:

It is ridiculous, because as a White conservative man I completely understand that I’m not nearly as marginilized as most other people and all my kin are responding to is the loss of complete and utter power to have everything their own way.

• Mary says:

Thank you. There are still many states who discriminate against gay people. Heck some even against blacks. I for one live in a liberal state so I have no fear of this bs but like you said not everyone has that luxury.

8. NoToDT says:

I do not support Trump in any way shape or form BUT I do believe if you still have a penis use the male toilets and if you still have lady parts then use the ladies’ bathroom.
    Or maybe it should be mandatory for every school and public restroom to have a separate private toilet that is unisex. At the end of the day it’s not trans people who will abuse this law but other perverted scumbags who will claim to be trans….yet they are after something more sinister. I believe use the bathroom that’s suited to the plumbing you currently have.

• Mary says:

The perverted scumbags as you say will no care about a law or not. So in reality I guess Mothers or Fathers that have small children and have to bring them to the restroom too bad if they are the opposite sex they might peek. In all seriousness not even the perverts will see anything unless they crawl under the door, which is highly unlikely because in most cases there are several Women in there at one time. Again just a way for people to try and justify their personal phobia about a group that they don’t understand or care too for that matter.

9. Amy says:

I see the bigots are out in full force again. Belittle and take away rights of people that are “different” than them. What a bunch of uneducated fools. It’s these right-wing hillbillies with there bigoted ideas of non-acceptance that scare the bejesus out of me! Good on ya Seth!

10. Angela says:

Boom. Mic drop. I’m so sick and tired of the Republicans trying to pull this sort of BS when they clearly aren’t living up to any “traditional morals” of their own.
    Yeah. This move by Trump is total BS. And shame on anyone who thinks it’s a justifiable thing to do to transgender people. All these “boogeyman” fears of non-trans people being harassed in the bathroom are just that: boogeyman fears. People need to get over their ignorance and fear.
    (Not to mention, if I were to be attacked in a public restroom, the gender of the person wouldn’t be the part that bothers me. I’d be upset about the attack whether it was a non-transgender man/woman or a transgender man/woman doing it.)