Bates Motel

Bates Motel's Freddie Highmore to Star in ABC Drama Pilot The Good Doctor

Here are six words sure to send a shiver down your spine: Dr. Norman Bates is scrubbing in!

Bates Motel vet Freddie Highmore has landed the title role in The Good Doctor, ABC’s medical drama pilot from House creator David Shore, TVLine has learned.

The potential series finds Highmore — who recently wrapped production on Bates Motel‘s current fifth and final season — playing Dr. Shaun Murphy, a young man with autism who struggles with social interaction, but who is possesses an engaging honesty and directness. A medical savant, Shaun has survived a troubled childhood to become a talented doctor. Unable to access emotions but brilliant and intuitive when it comes to medicine, Shaun is up for his first job as a surgeon at the San Jose St. Bonaventure Hospital, where his mentor and good friend, Dr. Ira Glassman, supports his hiring with passion and determination.

Shore penned the script and will serve as an EP alongside Hawaii Five-0‘s Daniel Dae Kim (who is not slated to appear on screen).

1. Haz says:

I hate to be a Debbie Downer but I cannot see this type of show working on ABC. Either way good for him I enjoy his work.

2. Jenny says:

Ira Glassman? Someone likes This American Life.

3. matraupach says:

I like the premise of the show and I appreciate Freddie Highmores acting.
    I the rest of the cast and the writing is good, the show might be a hit…
    BUT that is a big IF!! Hospital-shows tend to repeat themselves, with the same characters and the same story lines….

4. CIP says:

Yes!! I think he is super talented.

5. Marcie says:

Sounds really interesting. I’ll certainly give it a try. Love Highmore, and his playing an autistic savant sounds perfect.

6. Rosalie shore says:

Looking forward to it……

7. Joey Padron says:

Happy Freddie will be returning to TV sooner after Bates Motel finishes on TV this year. He’s a great actor.

8. hillary says:

There’s a kdrama of the same name and a similar (eerily similar) concept. I wonder if this is an adaptation?

9. Jared says:

Freddie Highmore is so underrated as an actor. He’s brilliant on Bates Motel and this role seems tailor made for him.

10. Phil says:

Hopefully he gets to use his real accent this time?

11. DV says:

Wasn’t there a rumor while back that the producers and most of the main cast of Bates Motel were going to work on a new entirely different series? Did I dream that?

12. jj says:

Too bad. I like Freddie but I can’t stand David Shore. So no. Not going to tune in.

13. Angela says:

I haven’t really delved much into the medical drama side of things, but I like Highmore, so I’ll be on the lookout for this. Glad to see he’s already got stuff lined up after “Bates Motel”-hopefully this show will prove successful, too.

14. Stan says:

What? No Doogie Howser references yet?

15. jerrired says:

This actually doesn’t sound too bad. I would definitely watch it for the premise and Freddie, but not too optimistic about it being ordered for series or lasting when it does. So we shall see.

16. MangoMagic says:

Uh…this sounds exactly like that South Korean drama starring Jang Hyuk, “Beautiful Mind.”

• Beeankar says:

It’s actually a remake of Joo Won’s drama of the same name ~ here’s to hoping that unlike kdrama land where we only ever get 1 season despite a show having a huge, that we at least get a few seasons from this sort of storyline. Makes me semi-mad that kdramas don’t actually do series cause they have so many good dramas that they could totally develop even further.

17. JMark (formerly JM) says:

There’s already a wonderful doctor/character on Chicago Med with autism. Oh, how I wish they could give Freddie something more original. He’s so talented. Oh well, I may tune in just for him.