Ratings: Arrow Dips to New Lows, Doubt Drops 25 Percent in Week 2

The CW’s Arrow this Wednesday drew 1.54 million total viewers and a 0.5 demo rating, dipping on both counts to mark series lows. Leading out of that, The 100 (1 mil/0.4) was steady.

Elsewhere….

FOX | Coming off their Season 2 renewals, Lethal Weapon (6.2 mil/1.3) dipped while Star (3.9 mil/1.2) was steady.

CBS | Hunted (5.1 mil/1.2) and Criminal Minds (7.2 mil/1.3) each dropped a couple of eyeballs while steady in the demo. Doubt (4 mil/0.6) dropped 25 percent from its soft debut.

NBC | Bubble drama Blindspot (4.1 mil/0.8) as well as Chicago PD (6.5 mil/1.3) were steady, while SVU (5.7 mil/1.3) ticked down.

ABC | Goldbergs (6.2 mil/1.7) and Speechless (5.3 mil/1.5) ticked down, Modern Family (6.7 mil/2.0) and Match Game’s winter finale (3.6 mil/0.9) were steady, and black-ish (5.4 mil/1.6) rose a tenth.

Want scoop on any of the above shows? Email InsideLine@tvline.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

1. Brian says:

Doubt is going to be a rare for modern times “pulled from the schedule” show.

• Jim says:

They would have to have something they could re-run in its place that will make them more money than the first-run episodes of Doubt, which is unlikely in this day and age. Other than comedies, re-runs don’t draw any appreciable viewer numbers any more. Debuting a new program will mean they eat the entire cost of Doubt rather than recoup any money off it, so they won’t do that. And it’s not a matter of shoring up the schedule to protect other shows either, since lead-ins provide negligible benefits these days. People watch shows, not a network. But we’ll see!

• fatalsin says:

I usually would agree on the comedies.. but there is an exception to every rule.. I don’t know about where you live.. but there is a Law and Order SVU on at almost anytime of the day on my tv.. it does extremely well in reruns..but yes for the most part you are absolutely correct it is usually sitcoms or 30 min comedies that do the best in syndication or reruns

• Billy Bob Johnson says:

It’s called Criminal Minds Beyond Borders.

2. Wrstlgirl says:

I’m so happy that Lethal Weapon was renewed for season two but I have to admit that I am getting a bit tired of the dead wife story. I get that it’s a big part of Riggs life and it’s why he’s so reckless, etc. but this can’t go on forever, can it?? Sorry for viewers of Doubt but I really hope this is good news for Code Black.

• Penny says:

I have to believe Riggs looking at his wife’s picture but still going to see Palmer is possibly the end of the dead wife story. Or least I feel like he’s finally realizing he can move on? Hopefully!

3. Boiler says:

Some of these ratings continue to show how stupid studio executives continue to be. CBS is killing Elementary on Sunday while they watch new stuff bomb against no competition. Blindspot numbers have been below Mysteries of Laura all year and the CW numbers just stink. They certainly seem to get a lot of love from TVLine though.

• Chris says:

Elementary was bombing before Sunday’s

• sarah t says:

CBS did the same thing to The Mentalist and to Person of Interest so they don’t really care.

• KLS says:

The CW numbers can’t be compared to regular broadcast numbers. .4-.8 are considered good for The CW. Elementary bombed out on Th@10, that’s why it was moved to Sundays. It was on it’s way out before the move. Blindspot and MoL have 2 seperate audiences, so they really can’t be compared.

4. Mike says:

I wonder if series low ratings during sweeps are going to propel the Arrow writers to rethink the last few episodes that their currently working on (maybe by attempting to make the hero less of a total idiot?) or if they’re all like “we’ve already been renewed for another season .” I hope it’s the former, I fear it’s the latter.

5. John036 says:

I’m really thinking that Arrow is on its last legs. The writers should start heading towards an ending point.

• Butch says:

Too little of Ollie, Diggle, and Felicity working together. New recruits still a washout. New Cannery is probably the best new edition, but Sara coming back would have done he same. Prometheus is still too much in the background. He is causing problems but only because other characters are saying he is responsible. Might as well have made Prometheus a split personality of Ollie, having it turn out the Ollie has been doing everything but doesn’t remember it.

• Butch says:

Addition not edition.

• Iris says:

I was a viewer from day one, and fell in love with the show when Oliver, Felicity and Diggle came together as a team.
        Mid-season 4, when I realized that the showrunners would only bait OTA and had no interest in replacing them at the center of the show, I stopped watching and never looked back. Maybe I’m not the only one. Maybe I’m far from the only one.

• Sasha says:

I quit the show after Laurels death. Never looked back. Nevertheless felt better

• DJ Doena says:

I left the show pretty much after “The Climb”. I watched one or two more episodes way after they were aired but I had lost interest. And when I read how season 3 and then season 4 turned out I wasn’t encouraged to ever come back.

I still enjoy quite a few season 2 episodes though. The Dollmaker, Crucible and League and later on the Flash two-parter for example.

6. Michael says:

I doubt, Doubt will last to much longer, Arrow has been in a creative slump this season, and at times has been boring and very missable.

• fatalsin says:

I have my doubts about doubt.. haha really no pun intended.. initially reading just a description I was like well maybe… but they would need a pretty solid cast.. and no matter how much I loved K. Heigl in grey’s.. and a few movies.. she has been tv/movie poison for a while now.. and as soon as I knew she was being cast I thought well there goes that show.. and it’s sad but the track record speaks for itself with her and her shows…

7. GuessWhat says:

Cancel ‘Doubt’ — and renew ‘Code Black’

8. sarah t says:

Oh Arrow, I hate this for you because deep down, I still love you. Sure you’ve been in a slump this season and the writers clearly are more focused on other, lesser characters rather than the main character and his original team but I know you’ve still got some good left in you.
    A couple of thoughts before it’s too late: ditch the other “heroes” Oliver is “training” and focus on the OTA. This isn’t Legends, we don’t need 20 different vigilantes running around saving the city. Have Oliver pull his head out of his own butt, quit dating stupid women and chastising the smart ones in his life. Make Prometheus good because so far he’s been kind of “meh”. Sure, every other hero has been trying to take down the city so his goals are nothing new but shock us with who he actually is and his final game plan. Finally, have Oliver pull a Tony Stark and admit he’s the GA. Otherwise, all the other characters he keeps trying to throw off the scent just look increasingly stupid for not recognizing the build, stubble and just about every other similarity between the two.

• Patrick says:

I feel the opposite. I liked it when Ollie was a bad arse vigilante who put bad guys in the dirt. Arrow collapsed starting with episode 1 in season 2 when he stopped doing what was necessary. His efforts to become “nicer” and “better” ruined a good show. Frankly, this is what a vigilante would do. He would hunt down and execute the true villains who used their money and power to circumvent the court system. TV was ready for a dark and gritty look at what being a vigilante would have actually entailed. The darkness made the first season so good. When Felicity, and Diggle, tried to fix the broken robot, they ruined the show. Every time they’ve told him to hold back on the killing, it just lead to more pain and deaths. Arrow should have had Ollie embrace doing bad things to accomplish an ultimate good. Trying to be a vigilante and clean up the streets without really hurting anyone has been painful to watch.

• Max says:

Oh, the irony. This regression from Oliver has been forcefully inserted into the show to play on nostalgia, to cater to people with the same opinion as yours, and yet here we are. Because it’s “badass”. Is it really badass to murder low life criminals instead of letting them serve their time? It’s not even just about the killing. He did it before when it was absolutely necessary (The Count, Ra’s, Darhk) but I guess now he throws people off buildings and still feels comfortable lecturing people about ethics. It’s the hypocrisy. It’s the show silencing the main characters who are not named Oliver. It’s the writers confusing stupidity and complexity whenever Oliver makes a dumb choice like he never was in that same situation seasons ago. Like he never learned from his mistakes. Arrow made more sense when the main character wasn’t the most disliked character of the bunch because the writers are dead set on making him fail but still never apologize for failing people he claims to love and respect. He’s not a broken robot. At least he wasn’t until this season. That’s not a superhero show. That’s just depressing.
        Arrow ratings were thriving during season 3 and 4. A 1.0 demo was the norm last season and now it’s circling around 0.6. DCTV took a hit this year but I’ll let you guess which show dipped more.

9. Eric7740 says:

I,for one, have been enjoying Arrow this season. The one I’m having a hard time watching is The Flash!!! I’ve got all sweeps episodes on my DVR and have no interest in watching them!

• Brigid says:

I’m the opposite. I love The Flash, it keeps me on the edge of my seat every week. Arrow is the weakest of all 4 shows, even below Supergirl. It’s a chore for me to watch.

• Wrstlgirl says:

I don’t know about being on the edge of my seat but The Flash is by far my fav, followed by Legends. I record Arrow but find that I end up fast forwarding through a lot of it, and I haven’t watched Supergirl in two weeks. Just read the recaps.

10. Darren says:

I haven’t watched Doubt but have to wonder why it’s on Wednesday nights at 10. Reviews have been fairly positive. You’d think CBS would have wanted to place it in a more high profile night.

• KLS says:

Wednesday is their best 10pm available slot unless they disrupt Tues or move Scorpion (M) again. Could it have been at 9? Maybe.

• Iris says:

It would have been better after a comedy. Maybe CBS was afraid of TGIT competition on Thursdays and tried counter-programming.

11. Must be all those conservative viewers didn’t like being preached to in anti-gun episode by a show that’s flaunts firearms like confetti.

You want preach liberal agenda, this can happen….

• Brigid says:

Nah, the episode wasn’t anti-gun, they showed both sides. The writing is just down right weak and the main characters are so dumb I don’t care about anyone but Thea at this point. Any character could die on this show and I wouldn’t shed a tear, that’s bad. They’ve spent the last 3 years alienating every faction of fans and the fans got tired of it. I never watch the show on the night it airs any more and I pretty much don’t pay much attention when I do watch.

12. A says:

Can CBS please bring back CMBB? I need me some more Daniel Henney!

13. kmw says:

Not too much good numbers from last night. Poor Doubt and KH thinks it is going to see another season Too bad for LW even though it still doing better than most of FOX shows now

14. Jimmy says:

Arrow has lost its way this season (I would say it started last season). They need better stories and they need to trim the cast; focus on the core group again. The show was much better before the additional of all the wannabes. Bring back Roy. They also need better villains. The big bad this season is nothing more than a lame version of Malcolm Merlyn/Dark Archer. Green Arrow doesn’t have a great Rouges Gallery of villains like some comic heroes, but they can do better than this.

15. Iris says:

Glad that Lethal Weapon escaped the renewal curse and didn’t dramatically drop this week. This episode was less strong than the last outing, but still very much enjoyable.

16. Brock Hard says:

I have no DOUBT there will be more kitty litter commercials in Katherine Heigl’s future.

17. ScottJ says:

Arrow annoys me too much now to watch week on week. I only ever watch it in 3 or 4 episode bursts when I’m caught up on everything else I watch. I’m sick of big bads that get stretched beyond endurance, and I’m sick of full season storylines that move slower than glaciers. I’d like to see villains that last maybe 2 or 3 episodes, and complete the story in that time. And stop it with the big bads. Mostly they don’t work well at all.

18. T.W.S.S. says:

Arrow: sixth and final.

19. N says:

I like Doubt

20. analog says:

I guess no season 2 for Doubt. I hope they air all season 1 episodes!!!

21. Al says:

BLINDSPOT really does not belong at 8:00. It is not an 8:00 show with it’s heavier and dark themes. Such a mistake shifting timeslots NBC. Now the material AND the ratings suffer because of the restrictions of the timeslot….

22. Mark says:

With all shows across the board suffering lowering ratings, will this be taken into account come renewal season or will this year be bloodier than usual. With networks looking to freshen things up. Or is there a reason people are turning off not just on CW but in general please can this question be addressed ??? As pirating cannot be the total cause with more people viewing didgitally on ligitamate sites and most people viewing like myself when convenient and not on the day.

23. KAYLEIGH says:

Arrow is my best show ever if I could rate it I would give 100% always😍

24. Billy Bob Johnson says:

Even before the premiere, I said Doubt would last 2-3 episodes. Only two, and for CBS, that says a lot.