Flash Recap Gorilla City Solovar

The Flash Recap: Welcome to the Jungle

This Tuesday night is an especially great one for TV. NCIS served up a strong hour (and dropped a tiny bombshell), This Is Us went on a terrific road trip, tonight’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. is the best one in a long time. And The Flash allowed us to watch a speedster battle a sentient gorilla in a giant arena.

Setting the stage for this Gorilla City two-parter, of course, was Jesse Wells’ arrival from Earth-Two, where her father Harry has gone missing after receiving an “invitation” to Gorilla City. Barry, Cisco, Caitlin and Indi– er, Julian, give chase through a breach, only to be promptly captured by a band of sentient apes.

Waking up in power-dampening cages, Barry & Co. learn via a Grodd-channeling Harry that they were lured there to help vanquish Solovar, the ruler of Gorilla City. If defeated in the arena, Grodd will take over and halt Solovar’s plot to invade his former home, Earth-One’s Central City. Barry offers to fight Solovar, with the proviso that if he wins, he and his friends go free. In the arena, Barry’s attempts at speed punches and a lightning throw come up empty, at which point Julian gives Cisco the idea to “pull a Reverse-Flash,” and sock Solovar with a vibing hand. Doing so allows Barry to emerge triumphant, though he refuses to “finish” Solovar.

But as it turns out, it wasn’t Solovar who wanted to storm Earth-One; it’s Grodd. And now that Barry has defeated Solovar, Grodd is in charge and ready to mobilize his army. Briefly, the team considers having Caitlin kill Cisco, thus eliminating the way for a breach to be created. Instead, Caitlin chills Barry enough to fake his death for Grodd. Once dragged outside of the cell, Barry powers back up and frees his friends, who then race back to Earth-One, with Grodd arriving just too late to stop them.

Grodd, though, knows to “think ahead,” and to that end had another resource at the ready: breach-creating Gypsy!

Elsewhere in the hour:

* Things were cool between Jesse and Wally upon her return, because she worried that his newfound speedster hero status would mean even less time for their extremely long-distance relationship. Wally, though, insisted to Jesse, “You turn my world,” and then answers her offer to move to Earth-One with a big ‘ol kiss. The CW does young love so damn well.

* Coming off their Gorilla City adventure, Caitlin questioned Julian’s wanting to risk his life to help protect her. “I like you, but you… should fear me,” she says of her Killer Frost potential. Julian agrees to be “scared” — which in this instance is best soothed by a steak dinner for two, he suggests.

* Iris worried about Barry battling Grodd & Co. in the name of changing another future headline, and thus possibly saving her from Savitar. But she’s happy that he continues to do so… and welcomes the chance to help him “stay up late.”

What did you think of “Attack on Gorilla City”?

1. steven says:

Isn’t Solovar supposed to be a good guy?

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

He still could be. We never really saw him be “bad,” only safeguard his city from “trespassers.”

• jrex says:

While it doesn’t follow the comic book version very closely, Solovar was generally wary of humans and often tricked by Grodd. Solovar eventually began to trust Flash in the comics.

• TomC says:

Yeah, the release said Solovar was the good guy, so I was confused as the episode went on until half way through when it was obvious that Grood was still bad. I do like your reference to Solovar trusting Barry. It might make an interesting plot next week to see how they get together to stop Grood on Earth 1. Be interesting also to see how Cisco reacts to Gypsy, although I’m sure he’ll see she is under Grood’s influence like Harry was.

• Erik says:

We only know what grodd said about solivars reign. And since everything grodd said was a lie to get solivar out of the way, I’m guessing solivar is good.

• Jim says:

Yes. Grodd tricked Solovar. Told him humans want to destroy Gorilla City and that they had to act against the humans first, when really it’s Grodd who wants to destroy the humans. Solovar didn’t have any reason not to believe Grodd. No one in Gorilla City would lie about something like that . . . other than Grodd. He will learn.

2. Matt says:

Hated this tonight. So fake looking. They shouldn’t do episodes that they lack the money to make completely realistic

• Lysh says:

I thought it looked pretty good in a “hey look, we’re the #1 show on this network” flashy type of way. Better than OUAT; I guess I have low standards now. It sorta distracted from the story.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Agreed. If you want The Flash to tell Flash stories, you need to go in knowing you’re watching a CW show on a CW budget — and for that amount of money, this was highly entertaining.

3. datdudemurphy says:

Is anyone else convinced that Julian is destined to die before the end of the season?

Thrilled to have Harry back….if Jessie is staying on Earth 1, maybe Harry stays too. They can send HR to Earth 2 to take his spot.

• jrex says:

I assume the writers are trying to keep Tom Cavanaugh interested by playing fun variations on the character but I prefer Harry to HR as well.

• TomC says:

A lot of people seem to think that Julian is going to be knocked off. I’ve kind of gotten to like his character, though, so I’m hoping he makes it through. But Caitlin doesn’t seem to do so well in the relationship area. It might be good for her to have a lasting relationship as well.

• V.J. says:

I am not convinced quite yet because I think it would be to repetitive to let Caitlyn fall for a guy and then have him be die/a bad guy/whatever. Maybe that is wishful thinking because I really like his character… we´ll see.

• Mo says:

It’s so obvious that it could be a curveball. Let’s hope as I like Julian’s personality clashing with the rest of the team.

4. how did caitlin use her powers in the cage when they were meant to be suppressed?

5. Micalea says:

It as an ok ep, with really good vfx for the network armed has done some pretty dope work this season. Still dont get why they claimed cait had to go to earth 2 because of her connection to Grodd which we never saw being used in the ep when in reality it was to further the plot to help them escape by using her cold powers to freeze barry to the perfect temp which she couldn’t do last ep to save iris and as for Julian exactly what was his role in gorilla city anyway I digress. The second part looks like it’s going to be action packed and hopefully answer some of my questions. Not sure where they’re going with this Wally Jesse ‘you complete me even though I haven’t bothered keeping in touch with you angle’ and I still need some insight into how cait cold powers work they seem to change as the plot dictates. I expected more from the episode but it wasn’t a complete let down.

6. Kim R says:

Totally enjoyed the episode. I do have to say that I was distracted watching Tom C play Harry, controlled by a gorilla, speaking to Barry in a weird “this must sound like a gorilla” voice. Just for a minute I imagined Tom feeling a little idiotic and wondered how many outtakes there were. :)

7. Gerald says:

Pretty good episode. I’m looking forward to next week for sure.
    BUT why was there no argument to stop Julian from coming along to Earth 2. He had no purpose and no powers. He was likely a huge liability and it s wonder why they didn’t kill him right away since they killed all the other regular humans that tried to rescue Harry.
    ALSO How is it fair that Earth 1 would get 3 speedsters? Is it even a possibility that Wally go with Jessie to Earth 2? Barry can handle things on Earth 1. Can’t stand Kid Flash. I’d be happy if he left with Jessie. Win Win.

• sarah t says:

That’s what I was thinking too. It makes more sense for Wally to go to Earth 2 with Jessie than for her to come here. Also, the writers need to learn from Arrow and not have too many super heroes in the kitchen. Though I have a feeling that Wally is going to end up dying at the end of this season instead of Iris so that could be why they’re keeping him around

8. Mo says:

The ep was one plot hole after another and all the relationships felt like fillers, Grodd’s plan made no sense, the escape plan made no sense and this is CW’s highest rated show. Meh.

9. APFW says:

I did not enjoy this episode one bit. Why was it ok for Julian to go and not Jessie who has powers? Why did not Katelyn just freeze the bars and free themselves. How come in the CGI arena Barry was almost the same size as Savitar? This episode was too much of a stretch in plot and story-line. There was no joy in Whoville.

10. Gift says:

I like the episode nd I enjoyed seeing gorilla city nd kid Flash trying to impress nd get Jessie’s attention attention. can’t wait for next week’s episode. Berry nd Iris love them together.