Mariah Carey New Year's Eve

Mariah Carey Now Blames 'Everybody' for That New Year's Eve Debacle

Are you sick of reading about Mariah Carey‘s now-infamous New Year’s Eve performance? Well, too bad, because she’s not done talking (or pointing fingers) just yet.

In a new interview with Rolling Stone, the songstress offers up a few more of her thoughts about that fateful night on ABC — in which she appeared to lip-sync, then awkwardly exited the stage mid-performance — this time coming out swinging against a rather broad group: literally “everybody.”

“This was out of my control, and had everything not been such a total chaotic mess, then I would have been able to make something happen,” she asserts. “Even the dancers should have stopped dancing and helped me off the f–king stage. I’m sorry. It was a mess, and I blame everybody. And I blame myself for not leaving after rehearsal.”

But lest you mistake Carey’s self-blame for any sort of personal growth, consider this quote for a moment:

“If I can’t explain it to the entire world, then they’re not going to understand it, because it’s not what they do,” she tells the mag. “Just like I wouldn’t understand somebody who had a desk job and how to do that. I couldn’t. I literally am incapable of being in the real world and surviving.” (Yikes.)

Your thoughts on Carey’s latest statements? Drop ’em in a comment below.

1. A. D. says:

How about blame yourself for not having any talent!

2. CIP says:

What an idiot! Sorry for being so harsh but she should just let it go.

3. Gina says:

Regardless of what happened, she should just take it on the chin at this point. All of this finger pointing is making her look petty. Take the blame, and move on.

4. Ben says:

So Nick Cannon leaving makes more sense

5. George H. says:

Wouldn’t keep hearing about it if news sites would stop reporting about it.

6. jimmy says:

Uhhh. Time to move on. Schedule more live performances and prove you can do it if you want people to stop talking about it.

• Mary says:

That might be difficult because she has lip sync too many times recently. She had a gorgeous voice but sorry it isn’t what it use to be. Nothing wrong with that but she insist
      on trying to prove otherwise. Oh well it is apparent that she will not take responsibility and insist on passing the buck. Some people will never learn.

7. Tony Lang says:

Looks like we have a contender for the next Presidential election!!!

8. Clara says:

Marian just get over it and move on with you’re life. This is like the third or fourth time on the internet. People get sick of it. So am I👎👎👎

9. Kim R says:

You know…I think I’m at an all time low threshold for tolerating self aggrandizing so I don’t trust my commenting abilities at this point. :D When everyone else seems to be the cause of your calamity it may be time to look, even glance, into the mirror.

10. ScottJ says:

Clueless. Dancers, and musicians, are there to dance and play music. I don’t perform much but if I stopped playing to help a soloist off stage I’d never get to perform ever again. In fact we’re supposed to keep going regardless. I’ve done one gig where the singer started in with the wrong lyrics. All the musicians switched tunes immediately and we cycled back to the correct one at the next break.

11. David says:

I am a Mariah Fan and always have been always will be. She may not be at fault for the technical part, but she is at fault for something. Why couldn’t she have just said ok cut the music. The music would have stopped wnd sing something somethimg accapella. She has an amazing voice and would have had a lot more respect during this whole debacle.
    Also blaming the dancers? That’s disgusting. Shame on you Mariah. It’s not their fault this went to hell.

• Mary says:

Her voice is not the same so singing without the back music was not an option. She would have been a bigger mess. Time for her and many others to face the facts her time is up sorry.

12. Pedro says:

Mariah:

Just let it die
    With no goodbyes
    Details don’t matter
    You have paid the price
    Tears in your eyes
    You know sometimes
    It’d be like that baby

13. Larc says:

If Mariah wants to know who’s mainly to blame, she should look in the mirror.

14. Anonymous says:

Wow not sure whos blame game is worse Mariah or Hillary Clinton! ;)

15. hipper says:

She’s giving me some real Norma Desmond vibes with this NYE debacle.

16. Kat says:

Things happen, even to the best laid plans. That’s life, especially on a live, chaotic NYE broadcast. I’m sure Mariah commented because Rolling Stone asked the question – it’s news, after all; even if it’s dated news. But instead of continuing with the finger pointing, she should have just said, “Stuff happens,” and moved on with the interview. That’s much classier than throwing everybody under the bus.
    She should also accept her voice now, and not keep trying to recapture her 20-something voice. She’s got style, she still has a good sound, even if she can’t sing in the whistle register any longer. I’m sure her fans would be fine with melodic, mezzo-soprano vocals.

17. raddadtone says:

That last paragraph…😳 At least she is real about it

18. ExBFF says:

She’s truly a once in a generation talent. It’s sad to see who she has become though. Delusional.

19. Sue says:

Yep she’s the pain the a** that I always thought she was. Go away!

20. Jj says:

This is what happens when you think you’re too good for sound check.

21. FA says:

Who plays the blame game better? Mariah Carey or Hillary Clinton? ;)

22. parstl says:

It would be interesting to know how long ago the Rolling Stones interview occurred. Given publication delay, it was probably
    In early to mid January. Anyway, where are her handlers and agents. They are supposed to be the body people for stars of this nature who are inherently egocentric. She needs to drop it and take more responsibility though.

23. popeye013 says:

What a massive idiot!
    The dancers should have helped you off the stage!!? Are you actually kidding me right now!?
    Help your bloody self off the stage you muppet!

24. Ray says:

Diva, take a seat. Scratch that, take two!

25. Chloe says:

She’s blaming the dancers? The dancers who were actually dancing to the music that she kept saying she couldn’t hear [even though they were ThisClose to her]? The dancers who actually performed while she was standing around pouting & being a diva? Wow, just wow. *smh*

26. Lg says:

Time to give it up. OLD NEWS.

27. jmpast says:

She just needs to move on, everyone has their embarrassing moments. She just needs to stop blaming others and just move on seriously it’s getting old and just ridiculous subject to just talk and report about.