Agents of SHIELD Brett Dalton Returns

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Shocker: [Spoiler]'s Return Confirmed — Video

A picture is worth a thousand OHMYGODs.

As Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. brought its LMD arc to a thrilling, nail-biting close on Tuesday night, the final segment saw Jemma and Daisy “hack” themselves into the Framework that Aida had masterbuilt, with the plan to inhabit their avatar selves and then “wake” Coulson, May and the others trapped in the VR.

As they did so, Daisy woke up in a bathtub, where she received a text message summoning her and her “boyfriend” to work. As she stepped into the bedroom, who was that zonked under the covers?  Daisy wondered/assumed, “Lincoln?” — but a nearby framed photo revealed otherwise. And as confirmed by the video tweet below, Brett Dalton is indeed back as (Framework) Grant Ward, when Season 4 resumes in April.

Watch the teaser below and share your reaction to Ward’s umpteenth incarnation.

1. Tom says:

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Do not want. Bad move.

• M3rc_Nate says:

Your salt gives me life.
      WARD IS BACCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKK!!!!! Eat it haters!!!

• Nick says:

Too bad the guy that gives you life made the show terrible for the most part. Pretty sure this show gets cancelled soon since they can’t seem to not bring this d-bag back every damn season.

• Celina says:

It is because of stuff like that that the ratings are so low.
      Ward was used and reused so many times… I can’t stand him anymore.
      AoS can be great, but insists on being awful

• g says:

so …. apparently you’ve seen the rest of S4 and know how he’ll be used?
        and how is using an old character in a new way awful?

the rating are low because the majority of the audience likely doesn’t watch the show live but on DVR or online – minus commercials … ie. delayed viewing when it’s convenient for them. Nielsen ratings are a antiquated system of judging who watches what & when.

And AoS has always been great from the start

• NoName says:

I loved Agents of SHIELD, but I dropped it in season 3. I gave it a second and a thrid chance in season 4 and dropped it again. In my opinion, Agents of SHIELD is getting bad ratings because:

Agents of SHIELD has too many superpowered (main)characters and focuses far too much on superpowered people.

No various unusual cases, only the same story revolving around Inhumans, superpowered heroes and what it’s like to have superpowers over and over again, since Inhumans popped up in season 2b.

Skye became a self-righteous, hubristic Inhuman with „I care only for Inhumans and every human who fears Inhumans because they are weapons of mass destruction is evil“-attidute, instead of evolving into a competent, responsible level-headed normal Agent.

Humans who fear Inhumans because Inhumans easily can kill dozens of people and destroy cities or because Inhumans or other superpowered people killed their relatives or friends are always the bad guys. Inhumans and other superpowered people can do whatever they want, these Very Special Snowflakes are never held accountable for their doings.

It‘s too serialized, dark, humourless and focuses far too much on Inhumans.

The showrunners are alienating the fans who loved Agents of SHIELD because it was a family-friendly show revolving around a team of normal Agents, heroes without superpowers, handling various unusual cases and enemies.

Superhero fanboys demanded superpowered heroes instead of Agents without superpowers in Agents of SHIELD, therefore Inhumans became what the show is about. So, Superhero fanboys have what they demanded, but the ratings are declining.

Seemingly the showrunners care only for Superhero fanboys and don’t give a damn about general audience and the fans who loved Agents of SHIELD because it was a show revolving around the normal Agents of SHIELD.
        If a show revolving around Inhumans and other X-Men-replacements was what many viewers want to watch, Agents of SHIELD would have a huge audience and great ratings.

I don’t intend to give my former favourite tv-show another chance because it’s not the show I used to love anymore since Inhumans took over and became what the show is about in the beginning of season 3.
        So, whatever Agents of SHIELD’s last episodes will be about, it’s too late to bring me back. The show missed the opportunity to convince me in season 3a and 4a.

• Mack says:

I would argue that LOT and the Flash cater to fanboys more than AOS. In fact AOS gets further and further away from referencing any cinematic stuff anymore besides a few sokovia name drops recently.

• NoName says:

I can not evaluate whether LOT and Flash cater to fanboys more than AOS or not, because I don’t watch these shows.
            I watched and loved Agents of SHIELD’s season 1 and 2a because it was a show without superpowered main characters and revovled around a team of normal Agents handling various unusual cases.
            I love Coulson, May, Fitz and Simmons because they are great characters and competent agents without superpowers. I liked Skye too for the same reasons.
            But the showrunners transformed Agents of SHIELD into Inhumans-show because superhero fanboys demanded superpowered heroes instead of Agents in Agents of SHIELD.
            To me, Agents of SHIELD is a letdown since Inhumans became what the show is about. I want to see a show focusing on normal Agents handling various unusual cases, I don’t want to watch a show focusing only on Inhumans.
            So from my point of view, the showrunners are alienating the fans who loved Agents of SHIELD for what it originally was because they care only for Superhero fanboys.

• Nick says:

Agreed. God that guy gets on my nerves. Just watched the episode but had come to this site last night and saw all the glaring praise about how good an ep it was, and it was just ok. Thought it was gonna be some big conclusion to that story too, but its just gonna keep going in that fantasy land I guess so they can bring back Lame Ward. Bleh. Maybe it would be best to cancel it.

2. Ryan says:

Actually I think it’s pretty brilliant. He’s dead, but this is pretty much an AU plot… and thus probably the most comic book plot arc this show has done. I’m excited (and this is someone who hated this character a lot).

3. Jess says:

Well, the good thing is that he will only be around until the team gets out of the Framework, since that world is not real and Grant Ward is still dead. So I’ll only have to tolerate him for six or seven episodes.

4. lisa says:

Whateves, I love him in all his incarnations.

5. Mark says:

One of the many reasons I gave up on the show was because they couldn’t get rid of Grant Ward by defeating him or let him grow at all. This is not a good thing and confirms my decision to stay away.

• laurelnev says:

Well, the fact you’re still reading press shows you are still interested, and the show only got better as the seasons went on. You may want to avail yourself of streaming to rethink that move. ;)

• Mark says:

Actually, I made it through 3 seasons before I gave up. I thought it got worse with each episode.

• laurelnev says:

If you had truly given up, you wouldn’t still be reading press. ;)

• Pedro says:

Not true. I gave up on Vampire Diaries and I read every now and then to see if it’s worth checking out. I might even comment if the plot sounds ridiculous. I’ll certainly check out the final episode, but, really, haven’t watched since season 5.

• Nick says:

You know its still possible for someone to read about a show they used to watch right? F off with your “if you don’t like it then leave” crap.

6. z says:

This is great.

7. ndixit says:

Hurrah!!!! He’s back! The more Dalton, the better.

8. Katie says:

I’m so excited! I wasn’t really digging this season much at all I thought it really dropped off but tonight’s episode was killer and I can’t wait to see this new framework reality. I love Brett Dalton in whatever iteration he can be in. Didn’t love HIVE because he was so emotionless but good Grant Ward, sad Grant Ward, bad Grant Ward, were all awesome. He’s such an entertaining actor and that character has so much depth, good and bad. I can’t wait for him to be back in if only for an episode or two. This season really needed something like this! I hope we get a few more familiar faces.

9. laurelnev says:

Bring back Bobbi and Hunter, and let them somehow redeem themselves so much in this mission that they can be written back in! (I can dream…)

10. Kristina says:

Yay!!

11. Katherine215 says:

I was never a huge Ward fan and I’m not sorry he’s dead, but this is a pretty great twist.

12. James D says:

Grant Ward is a total D-bag but dang it I love me some Brett Dalton.

13. Lilly says:

I may have to start watching this show again.

14. Lisa says:

I thought Ward was on the show just for the perfect amount of time and was glad when he was killed off. But this is a very interesting way to bring him back, without actually bringing him back. Agents of SHIELD has become my favorite show recently because they just know how to resolve their storylines in way that’s satisfying but also surprising. LOVE it.

15. Uno says:

If they’re bringing back ward and ppl want Bobbi and hunter I want Tripp back… I always liked him more than hunter anyway and was sad when he died… Plus Gemma had that cute crush on him

16. sladewilson says:

Best AoS episode ever!! Ending was killer, that sideways with Jemma (say what now?), Coulson is a teacher who is anti-inhumans? That’s his framework? Really? Is May the head of S.H.I.E.L.D. or HYDRA? And Ward is back. Insanity.

17. Partisan says:

Again? How many contortions will they go through to keep this guy on??

18. nonononono!! we finally got rid of his evil character! Watch him mutate and stick around after everything is said and done with! *groan!*

19. This has been the best season of AOS thus far, and I really liked the first season as well. I really like Brett Dalton. And I love that Framework places him in bed with Daisy. Oppsy Daisy! I hope that the political forces ruling the Marvel Universe is strong enough to keep this show from being cancelled, as it really is humming on all cylinders these days, albeit it could add a huge amount of horse power by bringing back Bobbi and Hunter.

20. Kim R says:

What about that gravestone!! My head is spinning. Great episode! :D

21. Martob says:

I’m shocked and glad! She did have real feelings for Ward before he went all alien and god-like. But i’my perplexed about May! Does this mean her alliance is with Hydra?

22. Joey Padron says:

Good video of Brett’s return to the show. Happy Brett is back playing Ward again! Can’t wait to see Ward being a good guy and him and Skye as a couple which may freak out Daisy a bit when she sees him again.

23. Dominique says:

so excited! i loved ward, all versions and brett dalton was so great as all of them. i hope he’ll be in quite a few episodes!

24. Luis Roman says:

Explains why we haven’t seen him anywhere else. Has he been under contract this whole time?

25. Rick Katze says:

Very strong show with a lot of breadcrumbs raising lots of things t be resolved over the last 7(?) episodes. Will be curious to see how they put things together from the first 3rd of the season since there are still unresolved issues from it.

26. Cynthia says:

(High pitch squealing) Love it and absolutely did not see that curve! Hello Grant Ward :0) Daisy calling for Lincoln helped make that even more shocking.
    They couldn’t get Lincoln bc Luke is working on Blindspot.
    What was troubling was Jemma Simmons’ headstone!!!

• McSatan says:

Nice! Just seeing Simmons’ tombstone doesn’t mean she’s dead, and just seeing May at Hydra headquarters doesn’t mean she’s now evil. Both could be deep undercover. The Ward twist made me laugh – how fun it will be when Daisy sees who she is in bed with, and that in the Framework he will probably be the good guy she thought he was in the beginning. Looking forward to the next episode, hate these long breaks!

27. Alichat says:

Who cares if he’s back! I was sick of his character long before he died and then died again. I want to know if avatar Jemma is really buried in a cemetery!?! And if so, who’s the woman climbing out of the car with Fitz? Avatar Aida??

28. Victoria says:

YES! Brett Dalton was the best thing about this show. Excited to see Grant Ward back again.

29. Kathy says:

I love this show!!! And I love it when they bring back familiar characters. It is my hope that we learn Ward is one of the good guys after all, but has been held captive under the LMD all along. I guess we shall see soon. Keep up the beautiful work!

• toni says:

I guess that DarkholdWard is one of the good guys, because the Agents of Hydra are the good guys in Aida’s simulation. :-)

30. Ordinary mom says:

I am very excited to see Grant come back. My favorite shows were when he was an agent! I had always hoped he would’go agent’ again! He had such internal struggles it was interesting to see what he’d do next!
    I agree that the inhuman story line has gotten out of control… but aeda has made for some interesting issues!
    I am sure missing Mae! It’s time to get her spunk back!
    My teen son and I love to watch AoS each week. Keep the cliff hangers coming!