Nashville Recap Season 5 Episode 8

Nashville Recap: What Doesn't Kill You... Still Might Kill You

Need to catch up? Check out the previous Nashville recap here.

If you’ve got candles, Nashville fans, now would be a good time to light ’em.

Because Rayna Jaymes, the First Lady of Country Music and keeper of Deacon Claybourne’s heart, survives an attack by a crazed stalker in this week’s episode… only to be involved in a terrible car crash in the hour’s final moments.

It doesn’t look good for Rayna as the episode closes, and that preview of next week’s installment isn’t very comforting, either. And I don’t care how many Scarlett-boning-Damien scenes or teen-coming-of-age storylines you throw at me elsewhere in the episode to lighten it up, Nashville: I’m gonna be worried for the next six days and 23 hours, thank y’all very much.

Read on while we cover the highlights of “Stand Beside Me.”

UNWELCOME GUEST | Good news: Deacon and Rayna are about to start laying down tracks for their new album! Bad news: Carl Hockney, the crazy fan stalking Rayna (as opposed to the crazy fan who worked for her or the crazy fan who’s currently financing her record label) made bail and is a free man.

To guard against another incident, Rayna and Deacon hire body guards to shadow them and the girls (much to Maddie’s dismay). But beefing up security suddenly seems like a good idea when Hockney decides to stand outside Rayna’s front gates — which are just far enough from the house to be outside the distance dictated by the order of protection — and taunt the family with his presence.

Deacon is ready to shove his six-string where the sun don’t shine, but the security guards talk him down. “He wants your attention, and he’s getting it,” one of them says, assuring the worried couple that Hockney eventually will slip up, and when he does, they’ll have him arrested again. He advises Rayna and Deacon to go about their lives and “think of him like a terrorist.” Because I know I would be super able to focus on my daily life, knowing that there’s a terrorist parked outside my perimeter…

ARE YOU THERE GOD? IT’S ME, DAPHNE | Actually, scratch that: There’s at least one member of the household with more pressing issues on her mind. Daphne gets her period for the first time at school, and though she retreats to the girls’ room and makes a frantic call to Maddie, it’s Rayna who shows up at school with a change of clothes and a “my baby’s growing up!” look on her face.

Daph is mortified, later taking out her anger on Maddie, who couldn’t leave her internship and therefore called Rayna to sub in on the menstrual rescue mission. “I get that you’re having a tough day, but you can’t be treating me like this. I did nothing wrong!” Mads yells at her sister, and MY HOW THE WORM HAS TURNED.

And when Deacon is clued into what’s going on, his dad-ly discomfiture is quite cute. Rayna suggests that she somehow commemorate Daphne’s maturation, which prompts this discussion.

DEACON: Let’s throw her a party.
RAYNA: A period party?
DEACON: Is that not a thing?
RAYNA (with that “bless your heart, you silly man” look on her face): No, honey. That’s not a thing.

But then he pulls her close and says, “Good god, I love you” all low and growly, so they make out, then sneak off to shag.

Oh, and Rayna gets Daphne some jewelry as a “first moon gift,” because apparently this show is engaging in a Game of Thrones crossover of which I was not aware. Will the girl be promised to Tyrion on the morrow, then?

THE EXES LIVE UP TO THEIR NAME | Scarlett can’t figure out whether or not she should still be with Gunnar. Deacon tells her that she’s an adult, and she should do whatever the heck she wants. And apparently, she wants to do Damien. So after breaking up with Gunnar after telling him that she feels “numb” about him — yeah, it goes over about as well as you’d expect — she winds up at the British director’s hotel room, where they have sex and eat waffles.

Nashville Recap Season 5 Episode 8IN WHICH JU OVERSTEPS | Juliette approaches the choir at Hallie’s church about performing on her gospel album. And even though she’s been going to Bible study and is generally welcome at the house of worship, her request that the group sing with her rubs a few members the wrong way. When pressed, Ju admits that she’s only been attending services of any kind for the same amount of time that she’s been listening to gospel: just a few months. “I feel like I’m transported when I listen to your music,” she says, but she sounds way out of her depth, and one of the women calls her out on it: “You know this is black music, right?” It gets heated, and things go downhill fast.

When Ju goes back, much calmer and far more humbled, she shares that she’s sinned a lot in her life, and that Hallie and her faith community came along at a time when Juliette was at rock bottom. “I don’t want to steal from you, I want to honor you,” she says quietly. “I want to honor God and his mysterious ways.” And if they don’t want to record with her, she’ll still come back — but “I realize I’m just a guest here.”

Apparently, her repentance is enough to win over the holdouts. “Come on back, girl,” a choir member named Vonetta calls, smiling, as Juliette starts to limp away. “Don’t we gotta figure out what you want us to sing?”

WORST NIGHTMARE REALIZED | Maddie attends Clay’s show at The 5 Spot, and so does Rayna. After the show, Ray tells her daughter’s boyfriend that she’s impressed with his talent, and she invites him by Highway 65 for a conversation about his future (think advice, not a record contract). He’s happy, Maddie’s smiling, and they leave — with a security guy in tow — as Rayna goes to Highway 65 to do a little work before hitting the studio with Deacon.

Rayna’s security guy sweeps the building… but apparently misses the broom closet where Hockney has been hiding since the previous afternoon, because the insane-o walks right into Rayna’s office once she’s alone. (Side note: Worst. Security. Team. Ever.) Hockney is unhinged, rambling, red-eyed and twitchy, holding a kitchen knife and asking Rayna to call him “Wayne” — his middle name — while explaining that he knows from her music that she’s the only one who understands him.

Rayna is so, so scared as she tries to humor him, getting him to put away the knife as she says that Deacon goes by his middle name, too. (Totally-unimportant-at-this-moment side note: Did we know this? I feel like I did not know this.) It comes out that Hockney has abusive parents, so Rayna shares her own story about her sociopath dad who had her mom killed — oh yeaaaah, remember that? — but it’s mainly so she can cover pulling her phone from her purse and dialing 911.

Carl/Wayne flies into a rage when he realizes what she’s done. “I have two daughters who need me. That’s all I care about right now,” she says, dropping the sympathetic act. As he grabs her and pulls the knife out, the Nashville police department gives Ray’s security guys a heads-up that they might wanna check out what’s happening inside. The guards run in, guns drawn, and find Hockney with his knife to Rayna’s throat. It’s tense, but then Carl/Wayne apologizes and lets her go. The security dudes tackle him while Rayna bends in half and begins to sob.

ALL’S WELL THAT ENDS… | Next thing we know, she’s draped in a blanket and being loaded into a police cruiser that’s going to take her home. She pulls out her phone and calls Deacon, crying so hard that he can barely understand her. “Something terrible happened, but it’s OK. I’m OK. I’m coming home,” she says amid the gulps and wheezes. Deke, understandably, is confused and on the verge of losing his stuff. “Come home, baby,” he says, worried. And that’s when a pickup truck (oh god) T-bones (oh god oh god) Rayna’s car (oh god oh god oh god).

The accident is shocking, juxtaposed as it is with the end of the Hockney storyline: If anything bad were going to happen to the Red Queen, most of us assumed, surely it would’ve come at the crazy man’s hand, right? But because we’re lulled into a false sense of security — well, unless you were present for Vaughn’s extraction scene in Alias‘ fourth season finale — the moment of the crash is super jarring and quite upsetting and I would like someone to hold my hand until at least the midseason finale, please and thank you.

1. iHeart says:

how many episodes has it been so far this season?

2. Jason says:

I’m amazed at how well CMT of all networks is handing race on this show.

3. Ben says:

The best thing that could happen is if the “Connie Britton might be leaving” is all a long con because of the plots involved.

• quang says:

I thought that too, but that would mean that it was TVLINE that got played, because it seems like they are the ones who treated this unconfirmed rumour seriously and got people worried.

• Billy Bob Johnson says:

She IS leaving. No need for a horrendous car accident if she were staying. They could have wrapped up a near-death experience with her stalker, then moved on.

4. Shira says:

Another car crash to Rayna, seriously? I thought the show left ABC! Unless, in a soap opera twist the new writers got amnesia and forgot she already had that… that’s just horrid.
    I guess they can always give the usual “that’s real life” excuse showrunners give, but hey so does other things that don’t involve getting Rayna killed/almost killed again.
    Regardless of Connie Britton’s status, Rayna Jaymes doesn’t deserve to die!

This show, with all the dead parents in turning into a huge depressing orphanage.

If she dies, other than stop watching, I’m starting a fund to send Daphne to that boarding school and never return to Nashville ever again!

5. Izzie b says:

“MY HOW THE WORM HAS TURNED” hahaha hahaha! Kimberly Roots, your recaps are just as awesome as this season of Nashville is!

That was a terrible thing for those writers to do to us, but wow, they did that so well.

As soon as Deacon got all serious about how much he loves Ranta, I had this little niggling feeling they were foreshadowing something awful. Hate it but love it – what do you do?

Scarlet, go away and pretend to be a femme fatale somewhere else , please.

Julette, way to bring it!!

Great episode!

6. Jubilee says:

If I never see Scarlett and Gunnar back together again, it will be too soon. So tired of her simpering and back and forth. Just move on. Torch the duo and move on.

7. nikki says:

Where can I watch tonites show? I missed the last 10 mins…:(

8. Mark D. Moss says:

Hmmm. My DVR says no episode next week … What’s the deal?

• E. D. Boddy says:

Programmers don’t always send out the information as quickly as we’d like. All too often, series recordings show up as “To Be Announced.”

9. KB says:

why is there no music in Nashville any more?? This season is awful

10. pAloma says:

Giving Rayna an incompetent security crew was an easy way out to let Wayne get at her with a knife. Wouldn’t her security team have given her a panic button? Which is pretty standard. And the gate IS considered part of her house for restraining orders out here in the real world. I know it’s fiction, but it’s poorly written fiction.

I am glad that Gunnar and Scarlet are broken up, but Damien is a douche. He was incredibly abusive to Scarlet during the video. That behavior wouldn’t make me want to sleep with him..

11. Kayla says:

I hope they donto let her die I love this show I really do but I’m honestly not sure I’d continue to watch it she’s one of them that make the show

12. Ally says:

Haven’t slept. A stalker, a knife AND a car crash? Seriously CMT?! What happened to the “less drama and less incidents”? I thought this show had turned a corner and we were done with all this! UGH

13. Soup says:

I’d love for Juliette and Avery to have an actual meaningful conversation but it seems those are reserved for Rayna’s family members. I have no idea if Rayna lives or dies but as a fan of EVERYONE else, I’m getting tired of how much time is being taken up by Deyna cuddles and Maddie. And now Daphne’s period.

14. Sissy says:

Did. Not. See. It. Coming. (neither did the officer driving the squad car). I actually screamed; woke up sleeping dog and cat as well as hubby. Looking back the foreshadowing of Deacon’s low and growly (LOVE that Kimberly) voice should have tipped me off that tragedy was just around the corner. Yes, when the Security guy left the building I thought that he had just broken a cardinal bodyguard rule: never let your sub out of sight. Sigh. Didn’t these writers watch “The Bodyguard”? Other than that and Scarlett’s new poofy hair-do, I’m still lovin’ this episode!

15. joe says:

Scarlet and Gunner broken up again, Rayna , possibly dying, if that does happen I’m done

16. ella jasper says:

What happened to the less drama and more music we were promised? And yes, another car crash was too much. Especially after Juliet just surviving a plane crash. If she is leaving, I think they could come up with something better. And please don’t let Deacon start drinking again or I am finished with this show.

17. hubbiepie says:

Sadly, this episode seriously jumped the shark..no music except a very brief Avery rock song; unrealistic stalker scene (her body guards would have had the whole building under surveillance all day); and the hyper-dramatic car crash at the very end that demonstrates the writers are running out of ideas and have to resort to unnecessary histrionics to keep us concerned about Rayna. Hopefully the writers will get back to the reason people love the show…reasonable drama that showcases great music.

18. RichieS says:

This season not turning out to be the fix-it everyone was expecting. Juliet’s storyline is the best by far and can’t wait to hear her fronting the church choir. But Scarlett and Maddie are still two people noone wants to root for. Scarlett is so neurotic it’s laughable and Maddie is still a bipolar bitch. After the day Rayna had I bet her thought in that last split second before impact was ” Thank you Lord”. And it seems the producers have taken the three guys who really can rock..Gunnar,Avery, and Will..and gave them made them invisible.

19. Babs says:

Did not see that coming – I jumped when Rayna’s car got hit!

20. ptf says:

What happened to leaving the soap behind?! Stalker, hostage, car crash…okaayyyyy.
    If Rayna dies I’m gone.
    I’m guessing that a) ‘The duration’ might have had the words ‘…of my contracted episodes’ missing from the sentence. And b) they’ve been frontloading all of the Deyna into the first half of the season to prepare for Connie Britton’s exit, so I’m guessing it’s Juliette and Avery’s turn now right?! As long as it’s not more Maddie. Nobody needs that.

• barbara says:

If you read the plot of the next episode it says that Rayna writes a song on their album thru her life changing experience. So I’m pretty sure she did t get hurt thst badly in the car accident..but I agree..a other car accident..geez..and Scarlet is terrible..I mean an obnoxious bitch..liked her better when she was nice and simple..lastly, so tired of Juliette treating Avery so badly and him coming backto for more with tail between his legs..like them together, but come on, that relationship needs to get healthier quick!! Otherwise this show is heading in circles and doesn’t deserve the second chance it got..I’d like to see it stick around, so writers, get tail his show out of its dysfunctional space and on the road to recovery!

• Ptf says:

The episode description actually says ‘Rayna scrambles to write one last song’ which is a much less optimistic outlook.

• Michelle says:

Scarlett really hurt Gunner. Not that he didn’t hurt her, but really she is with a man that to me was a pain in the butt not her type and where is this going??? She loves Gunner always will. Grow up Scarlett and see who the real man is!!!!!

21. Luis Roman says:

Awesome fake out, “Nashville.” Simply awesome

22. Deborah says:

Must keep Rayna, she is the heart of the show.

23. Ugh, this show! They need to stop recycling story lines and Rayna James definitely deserves better than another car crash. Also, just please keep Gunnar and Scarlett apart from now on because it is tiring being teased! They are my second favorite couple on the show and it was rough seeing them break up again, when they just got back together. Scarlett sure changed her mind pretty fast. (I mean, did the writers completely forget this scene? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYaEo1olhlY )

24. Jess H says:

Haven’t watched yet, but interesting that her mother died In a car crash today cashed (which we were reminded of a few time recently, I.e. “You can’t argue with a ghost,” and her psycho father killing her mother.). While I really hope the rumors about her leaving are to keep us on our toes about this storyline, it would feel poetic to have her die like her mother did.

25. Lord I waited all this time for this show to come back on. I absolutely loved this show but now you are killing off the lead character. That’s crazy! Sounds like you need to renegotiate her contract!!!! I hate this!

26. VegasGal72 says:

First time in a long while that I have no desire to watch it tonight (Hulu). I don’t like the reused car crash plot, don’t like Maddie, the writers have no idea what to do with Scarlett and it is getting old. I like Juliette and Avery but not enough to keep watching.

27. Rylie says:

Where is Will?!

28. Molly says:

I am so glad you brought up the Alias episode. I was thinking the same thing! At least Deacon wasn’t driving this time. Speaking of Deacon he was hilarious in the episode. I am very disappointed in the Scarlett and Gunnar story line. Did Scarlett seriously pull a 90210 Kelly when she chose herself over Dylan and Brandon(by the way I loved Kelly and Brandon together. lol) Gunnar was right. I hate what the writers did to this relationship! I just hope they continue to sing together because I love their duets. At least give me that Nashville!

29. That just about gave me a heart attack. It was even more shocking then when tha guy fell off the roof saving Juliette. I was not expecting that at all. I thought that Deacon would save the day and get knifed, but I should have known since Reina was saying a lot of I love you’s to her family. Does anyone know if she plans to leave the show?

30. Scarlette is becoming very unlikeable. It doesnt look like she ever really loved Gunner at all. Maybe they need a slut in the show and Juliette is tired of playing the bad guy. I like Juliette becoming Christian. I dont think that Scarlette can be a slut and still be likeable like Juliette did.

• Amy says:

Yes the Scarlett thing seems all wrong to me. Basically she got an “itch” for a douche bag director who now is acting all wonderful to her, so she tells Gunnar she “can’t be with anyone right now”…ie., we need to break up so I can go screw this other guy like 2 seconds after “spending time on her own.”. Ugh. And, to boot, I feel ZERO CHEMISTRY between those two.
      ugh, ugh, ugh.

• Celina says:

I don’t understand anything that is happening in season 5.
      Scarlett just realized (season 4 last episodes) that she was in love with Gunnar and HAD to tell him. He chose her and what we got? Scarlett treating him badly all season 5.
      We don’t see avery and will enough anymore, and even juliette is having less screen time. In fact, I feel like the guys don’t have storylines of their own. Like, whats Gunnar doing these days? I don’t know, except that he is having issues with scarlett. I dont know, but it seems like nothing happens. I am not seeing the great storylines about the music industry that they have promissed. I dont see all the music they have said we were gonna get. I am still listening to the old songs, because, so far, i didnt like much of the FEW new songs

31. Michelle says:

I love Nashville!! I’miss glad CMT picked it up. Please don’t kill Rayna off the show. She is one of the main characters. The show won’t be the same and probably won’t make it if she dies.

32. Debbie says:

I don’t want rayna to die if she does I won’t watch anymore

33. Vona says:

I hated this episode after they’ve done so well after going to CMT. The car crash was cliched and done a few seasons ago.
    The Daphne story was too much info and completely unnecessary to everyone involved.
    Scarlet suddenly being numb to Gunnar after declaring her mad love for him a few months before was dumb, had no point including the friction they’ve been trying to play between them over nothing recent. The director is a terrible character and I don’t even see how he is a viable love interest to Scarlet compared to other seasons. On top of which, her just jumping into bed with him was out of character and disappointing. I hope they get it together by next episode.

34. dsrbroadway says:

After months of barely doing any actual acting – not because of her talent, but because she’s had to prop up The Maddie Show, so she’s had no material – Connie finally gets to act. And frankly, it was a masterclass as to why she’s still the most in demand actress on TV. So her reward is a car to the face? I’m bored and angry at the same time.