Throwback Thursday
Greys Anatomy Kate Walsh Addisons Arrival Season 1 VIdeo

Grey's Anatomy's Kate Walsh Recalls Addison's Shocking, 'Seminal' Arrival

“Meredith, I am so sorry.”

Those words, spoken by a very freaked-out McDreamy, were the only warning that Grey’s Anatomy‘s Meredith had before her entire world got upended by the arrival of the force of nature known as…

“Hi, I’m Addison Shepherd,” the redhead said, extending a hand. “And you must be the woman who’s screwing my husband.”

It was a ballsy entrance, an OMG moment and a hell of a way to end the freshman medical drama’s first season.

“It’s such a seminal moment,” Kate Walsh says of the final scene of the 2005 episode “Who’s Zoomin’ Who?” It was her first day on the Grey’s set. “I feel like that may have been the only scene I was shooting that day. I remember, that scene got more attention, I got more calls and more attention from that 30 seconds on camera than probably anything up until that point, for sure.”

Addison would continue to be a major player at the hospital for two more seasons, leaving in 2007 to front the Grey’s spinoff Private Practice. Walsh, who is currently starring in Netflix’s 13 Reasons Why, has been back on the original series a few times since but tells TVLine she doesn’t have any unfinished business with her character: “I feel like we wrapped it up.”

However…

“I’m not saying if [series creator] Shonda [Rhimes] was like, ‘We’re gonna do a very special episode of Grey’s where…,’ Walsh adds. “But she really consciously, we did it all. We had the spinoff, and we had all that. It was an amazing experience and journey.”

Press PLAY on the video below to watch Addison breeze into Meredith’s life, then hit the comments with your memories about the jaw-dropping Grey’s moment!

1. Matt C. says:

I loved Addison so much! I binge watched the entire show on Netflix last year, and even though she was only a main character in seasons 2 and 3, she was still one of my favorite characters of the whole series. Someday I hope to watch Private Practice…

• Nerwen Aldarion says:

You should! The whole series is on Netflix and it’s great!

Unlike Greys which has been hit or miss through the years, I think the whole series of PP is good. It actually gets better in the second season of all things, the first is my least favorite.

2. A fan of TV says:

There really is no unfinished business with Addison, no drama left with anyone still on the series, even Arizona now has much of her skills… But it would be great to see her again, regardless!

• juless says:

I will love to see her back. Gave us some really sicks twins or something.
      They could be hilarius together.

• Jamie says:

Ehh Arizona doesn’t have Addison’s skills tho, she just practices a similar specialty. Addison was always regarded as one of the best neo-natal surgeons in the country – Arizona just started learning fetal medicine 2 seasons ago.

3. fatalsin says:

I miss Addison… I wish she had stayed… I know she had to go for the story but man even though i shipped derek and meredith i LOVED addisons character… i just love kate walsh period..

4. Martina says:

That scene was so great… But Addisons wardrobe was not :D. She was always very classy and stylish, except when she was introduced. Imo she looked really…. frumpy… Don’t know how to explain that better. Much older than she really was.
    Back then I thought “what the f??” But it was so easy to like Addison after that, even though she “interfered” with Meredith and Derek. I am really missing that kind of story right now (not the typical love triangle they do now….but that both sides were written so well so that you really like and can understand both sides).

5. Lin Miller says:

One of my favorite characters. Grey’s and Private Practice… Would love to see Kate Walsh walk back in Grey Sloan Memorial and shake it up once more. She was awesome!

6. Phil says:

No mention that this wasn’t actually intended to be the first season finale? Because of Grey’s mid-season debut, didn’t ABC just stop the season there and hold the next four episodes for season two? Or am I completely misremembering that? It was a brilliant network decision.

• Todd says:

No I think you’re correct, which is why season two had twenty-seven episodes, an abnormally high number of episodes. Definitely an awesome decision.

7. Rebecca says:

When Addison walked through those doors that first night, I was hooked. Absolutely loved Addison, my all-time favorite character on Greys.

• Elle says:

Totally agree! Addison Forbes Montgomery Shepherd is my fave Grey’s and Private Practice character. I’m all for Kate Walsh returning to Grey’s…the show can use the energy!

• Amy says:

You mean Addison Forbes Montgomery Riley. When we left her, she had long since divorced Derek, married another man and adopted a baby. She even corrected Meredith in a episode of Grey’s after the divorce telling her she was no longer “Shepherd” but I welcome her on Grey’s as well. Can’t hurt, even though all the characters have moved on now, it would still be fun to see her again.

8. Jamie says:

Ah, I love Addison. She was such a phenomenal character.

9. Elle says:

I will love it if Kate Walsh returned to “Grey’s Anatomy.” Addison Montgomery is a fabulous character and terrific force; brilliant and at times flawed. A great character. Please consider it.

10. Jermey says:

Addison is one of my all time favorite characters on the show, I wish she would come back. I have to say, I hate it when great characters get their on spin off. I always fell it sabotages the main show, and the spin off is almost never really good, or at least – as good. (PP included)

11. Yoko says:

Bring Addison back and good Lord bring back the writers from the early seasons! This season SUCKs.