Grammys 2017: The 16 Best and Worst Moments

You take the good, you take the bad, you take ’em both and there you have… the 59th Annual Grammy Awards.

For every moment that had us applauding from our couches (everything Adele did, Bruno Mars’ spot-on Prince homage), there was a moment that had us scratching our head in disbelief (that train wreck of a Metallica-Lady Gaga duet, the telecast’s nearly four-hour running time.)

There were transcendent vocals, technical snafus and, in between, a whole lot of so-so jokes from host James Corden. But regardless of whether you watched the telecast live on Sunday night, we’ve compiled the show’s best and worst moments for your reading pleasure.

Check out the attached gallery — or click here for direct access — to see our picks, then hit the comments and tell us which moments we left out that you may have included.

1. Robert45 says:

Best moment was definitely Bruno Mars’ tribute to Prince – him and his band are flawless and put me in such a good mood whenever he gets on stage.
    Beyonce’s performance was a snoozefest in my opinion.
    Disappointing moment – as someone who grew up on George Michael and Prince I was looking forward to both tributes and had Adele chosen the right song, like Father Figure, there would have been 2 perfect tributes. She’s a heck of a singer.

2. Nathan Everett says:

Demi killed it tho. Good luck next time. At least you got nominated.

3. Melaniem says:

Thought The Bee Gees tribute was really weak and found Beyoncé’s performance extremely pretentious. Loved Bruno Mars and Adele

4. TV Gord says:

The show only ran about ten minutes longer than scheduled, and nowhere near four hours. It was ending at around 11:38 eastern (I checked during a commercial break during the west coast Son of Zorn), so considering it was scheduled to end at 11:30, that’s not too bad.

I thought James was good, Gaga and Metalica were great, Bruno was disappointing in his own performance, but made up for it with the Prince tribute (if The Time was going to be the opening act, Sheila E. would be nice doing a few bars from The Glamorous Life.

Beyonce was a snore, Adele’s tribute to George Michael was lackluster, Twenty One Pilot’s acceptance speech was both funny and inspirational, and Ed Sheeran WAS EVERYTHING!

It’s too bad the Bee Gees tribute was populated by people who were too young to have a sense of what they meant to the ’70s. It was devoid of feeling for that reason. It’s nice to see that Paris Jackson has pulled herself together. John Legend and Cynthia Erivo did a beautiful job performing The Beach Boys’ God Only Knows.

It was refreshing that there was no real mention of Voldemort during the show. Even though I talk about him daily on my Facebook page, I was glad to have a night off from his freak show.

All in all, I loved the show! Plenty of entertainment. I immediately re-watched Ed and MetaliGa when it (and Zorn) was over. Oh, and I’m glad Hello won song of the year. I would have been pissed if any of the other nominees had won.

The State of the Music Union is strong! This was a most enjoyable show for me.

5. CK3 says:

I think Adele’s speech was amazing and summed up my feelings for the night(especially AotY). Yes, I think Beyonce is over hyped a bit and I do think that Adele is the better vocalist of the two. However, if Beyonce had won for “25” and Adele had lost for “Lemonade”, I too would be saying “What? No.”. “25” was a marvelous personal collection of songs by a world class vocalist, “Lemonade” was a conhesive album that told a story from beginning to end, featured genre smashing collaborations, had great production values (I mean the brass alone from “All Night Long” was grammy worthy) and could exist without the artist behind it. If that can’t win AotY, I really don’t know what can.

6. OhMy says:

Very little in the way of good perfoemances.

7. Brian says:

I enjoyed Adele’s tribute to George Michael, but I do think it would have been even better if she had sung something else like Father Figure instead. And loved Bruno Mars tribute to Prince and of course The Time.

8. Kate says:

I enjoyed the emotion behind Adele’s tribute to George Michael more than the actual song. Bruno Mars and the Time were awesome. That Prince tribute was everything the Billboard Awards failed to do. Beyonce’s performance was too long and convoluted, though visually stunning. The Bee Gees tribute was horrendous, especially Demi Lovato’s part. Andra Day also hit a particularly hideous note during that mess. I can see “Hello” beating “Formation” for Song of the Year, but “25” beating “Lemonade” for Album of the Year? What were the voters smoking? I’m not a huge Beyonce fan (I’m lukewarm at best on her), but she was robbed.

9. Skiwoman says:

Too bad Travolta didn’t strut across the stage for “Staying Alive”Beyoncé’s performance was pretentious and over the top.

10. Collette says:

Am I the only one who finds James Cordon obnoxious? He’s the cultural equivalent of aerosol cheese.

• Television Scout says:

You are not alone. Someone up there is watching over James Cordon. I read an article recently that said he ‘invented’ the singing in cars routine… dating back to the first ride with George Michael. Fair enough. But I always thought that it was Jerry Seinfeld who was the first entertainer to try to ‘ride in car via video cam’ gig? I wish Cordon had given some kudos to Seinfeld.

Time will tell.

• Skiwoman says:

Love James Corden.Did not like Beyoncé’s over the top,pretentious preformance.

11. Chris says:

Nobody mentioned a tribe called qwest yet ? They killed it that was amazing and powerful performance ! Resist!!!

12. sarah t says:

There were a couple of strong performances. I loved Ed Sheeran and how he kind of broke down “Shape of You” to acoustic/hybrid performance. Bruno Mars was good in both his own performance and the Prince tribute. Adele sounded good but really wish they would’ve chosen a better song for the George Michael tribute (I thought Faith would’ve been perfect). And Beyoncé was just too over the top, self-indulgent and annoying. And I’m already dreading the daily bumpdates we’ll be getting over the next few months…

13. MLO says:

Blew it off based on previous shows but kinda wish I’d seen this one.

14. E. D. Boddy says:

The injection of politics into literally EVERYTHING is getting really tedious.and boring. Take a day off! (Or don’t, so *more* people can turn against these fools.)

• mary says:

I didn’t watch because I dreaded hearing the expected elitists political diatribe.

• Jamie says:

When something is actively affecting your life and/or the lives of the people you love, you can’t just take a day off. What an ignorant comment.

• Television Scout says:

And yet, these celebrities are off jet-setting and playing golf and making money. They do take a day off, despite the ‘urgency’ of the situation… whatever it might be. They do take their days off, often, but only when the little red camera lights around them go dim and the cameras turn off.

15. Jamie says:

I have always adored “God Only Knows” and John Legend and Cynthia had me bawling. Beautiful rendition.
    I’m obsessed with Adele, and I adore George Michael, but I was not feeling that performance. I feel like she should have picked another song for his tribute.
    Beyonce’s performance was such a creative celebration of motherhood. Visually beautiful. I wonder if people thought it was pretentious because it wasn’t the same standard kind of performance that just about everyone does.

16. LauraB says:

I’m so tired of Beyoncé, most overrated artist ever. I mean yeah, she can sing and dance, but she’s at the same level as other artists out there (Gaga and Adele, to name a few). I fail to see all her “glory” and how is she a “goddess”

17. Ralph says:

Bruno killed it, with Katy pulling in the next best number, and Adele right up there.

18. Brian says:

I understand Gaga is having a good week after the big game and is a pretty successful act in her own right. But the cross-genre pairing didn’t work, and would not have even with a working mic. Few Metallica fans care about Gaga and few Monsters care about Metallica. They have 30+ years of music in their library. Less Gaga, less fake stageside headbangers, more Kirk and more Robert.