Quantico Renewed Cancelled Season 3 ABC

Quantico on the Bubble: Keep or Cut?

By mid-May, the broadcast networks must make some tough calls as to which series will return for the 2017-18 TV season, and which… won’t.

As that deadline draws near, TVLine is singling out a few “bubble” shows and sizing up their prospects — based in large part on creative strides (and stumbles) and future potential, but also with a requisite nod to cold, hard numbers.

Next up is a spy show that has done recon on what its audience does and doesn’t want — but is it too late?

THE SHOW | ABC’s Quantico (Mondays at 10/9c)

THE CASE FOR KEEPING | Where Homeland is heavy and 24: Legacy is frenetic, Quantico hits a soapy, spy-filled sweet spot. There’s danger, but you’re never truly worried for America. There’s action, including some cool fight sequences, but the FBI agents and CIA recruits rarely sustain permanent injury to their insanely sculpted bodies. The stakes, instead, are these: In a career where everyone lies to everyone else about everything, whom can you trust?

The answer to that last one, by the way, is always (and sometimes only) Alex Parrish. The present-day storyline in Season 2 started with Priyanka Chopra’s Alex out of the FBI and estranged from her onetime fiancé, Ryan; through flashbacks, we’re learning exactly how their shared mission — to infiltrate a rogue terror group inside the CIA — became the very thing that drove the engaged couple apart. Along the way, we’ve met new recruits with their own intrigues (Harry’s secret investigation into his dead partner’s father is particularly interesting), been led astray by characters we thought we knew (what gives, Miranda?!) and seen the return of some Season 1 favorites, including Marcia Cross’ Claire Haas, who is very compelling as a female president freaked out by the violent way she was ushered into office.

Before we move on, this must be noted: Quantico‘s cast is a) diverse and b) smokin’ hot. Both of these things are very good for our country at this time. And the show’s Powers That Be have made a point to take viewer feedback into account: Case in point, the upcoming move from dual timelines to a single one.

THE CASE FOR CUTTING | Averaging 2.8 million weekly viewers and a 0.7 demo rating, Quantico is down a good 40 percent from its freshman average. Among ABC dramas, only Conviction scores as low a rating (while Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. draws a few less viewers). And, as I noted in a recent recap, the present-day storyline is really tough to follow… and I literally watch this show for a living.

Could this be a case where Quantico‘s best-in-broadcast DVR playback bump — a whopping 143 percent — gives ABC the nudge it needs to say yes to Season 3?

Vote below, and then state your own case for keeping or cutting Quantico.

1. In my opinion season 1A was really good, 1B was fine, 2A was kind of bad and 2B was SO BAD that I couldn’t keep watching. I don’t believe it should be renewed, but I’ll be happy for those who kept watching if it happens.

• I’ll agree this season has been terrible….but I’d like to see if the lessons are learned on a season 3. The show has huge potential and a very strong cast….the writing needs work. Get rid of the flashbacks too….worked on season 1 but flashbacks are holding back Season 2.

• GregJ. says:

I’m undecided, but leaning towards “keep” only because they said there would no longer be time jumps and I’m interested to see how it would change. I really enjoyed the 1st season and this season I’ve lost interest, however I still watch just not as faithfully as did last season. I say give it one more season for them to work out the kinks of the sophomore slump.

2. MLD says:

The raw bones and diverse, gorgeous and mostly talented cast are there so I say KEEP. It can be redeemed by a stronger showrunner and writers that create coherent, compelling plot lines that simplify the storytelling technique and focus somewhat more on character development. I am not expecting a Nashville renaissance but with care this show can be put on better footing. I love Harry Doyle so if the show is renewed I would like to see him in season 3.

3. ABC should keep it but tell the show runners have to reboot the show’s formula and bring it back to what made season 1 so entertaining.

• georgee says:

Telling the show to runners to reboot just does not work, look what happened to Castle. The story line got so bad, it became one of the reasons the show got canceled. We all know what other reason was, ABC just could not pay Katic what Fillion was making. I guess Ms Channing Dungey was not one of the ladies marching around of 1/21/2017.

4. ndixit says:

This is a bad show. I love Priyanka and some of the supporting cast members but the writing is atrocious. It’s amusing sometimes in a so bad it’s good way, but that’s no reason to keep it around.

5. Samuel says:

As much as I liked the first season, I have not particularly been interested by Season 2. Frankly being honest, I would have to say cut – the ratings are down and it’s become uninteresting so much so I have like 8 episodes to watch, which I probably won’t.

6. Kevin says:

CUT QUANTICO. Totally gave up after last season ended.

7. Verygoodwine says:

Story for season 2 is awful and convoluted. Most characters from season 1 are gone and the replacements suck. Blair Underwood has been so boring on tv for years. Awful choice. But season 3 is warranted after a good season 1. The flashbacks this year are bad.

• Awkward Girl says:

Flashbacks will end on episode 14 and there will be a single timeline switch so it will get better!

• Jen says:

Keep!!! Graham is also coming back as Caleb. I know a lot of people miss characters from season one and the two timelines can be confusing, but please stick with it till the end of the season. It has something for everyone and the cast is so diverse. Hope we get a whole season with 1 timeline.

• Ray says:

Agree about Blair Underwood. Don’t understand how this guy is still getting steady work in Hollywood.

8. jimmy says:

I agree the show could’ve taken a few better steps creatively, but I still really enjoy and believe in this show.

9. Awkward Girl says:

Keep! I still believe that this show can get better, especially since on episode 14 there will be a single timeline switch so I think it will get way better. Also, I really really like it

10. Travis says:

Please keep the show it has room to improve.moving the show to a single timeline is probably all it needs.I actually have enjoyed this season much more than the first.I might be be in the minority on that but whatever.Just don’t want abc to give up on it so easily like they did revenge.

11. Haz says:

It’s too late, even if they retooled it the damage is done. If Baywatch ends up being a big hit this summer Chopra could use that as a platform to becoming a leading lady here in the US. I think if they do another season it might hinder her from taking on movie roles, or maybe starring in a TV show that is a little less confusing and is better quality.

12. Jim says:

Cut it; put Priyanka and the rest of the cast in better shows.

13. Superwoman says:

I like Priyanka…so I hope if its CUT she can find another TV role asap otherwise I vote keep purely on my love for PC

14. Jennifer says:

what started out as a great show in 1A, quickly fell off into a shell of it’s former self. I couldn’t even watch season 2 beyond an episode or 2

15. Jessica says:

Keep it! I love the where they’re taking the show in the 2nd half of the season and most looking forward to the single timeline come episode 14!

16. rinaex says:

Once viewers leave they don’t come back, so cut it.

17. LaDonna says:

I feel like Quantico would be a good pick-up for Netflix, Hulu or Amazon…somewhere they can drop a whole season at once. I tend to store this one on my DVR until I have 4 or 5 episodes saved and then I binge them all at once. It moves along at a nice clip when I watch that way. I’d hate to see it go altogether because I love Priyanka!

18. Max says:

The time jumps made me quit watching. But I read (here) that they’re doing away with that. If it gets renewed for a third season, I’ll tune in to check it out again.

19. Matt C. says:

I loved this show when it first started, gradually started getting annoyed with it by the end of the first season, and gave up completely after watching the season 2 premiere and realized they were essentially remaking season 1 but in the CIA. Priyanka Chopra is stunning, but I need more than eye candy to keep watching a show. I say cut it and free these poor actors!

20. grazelled says:

Watched a bit the first season, stopped at the end of the first break and never came back so cut.

21. Boiler says:

Gee I wonder if ABC regretting not fixing and not keeping Castle. No ratings in this slot even close. I do watch Quantico but it likely should go.

22. Ian says:

Cancel it. It’s garbage.

23. btm says:

I really like the cast, but there is no indication that any given episode was written with the knowledge of what the plot would be 10 episodes later. In short, I don’t think anyone associated with this show has a plan. That is Quantico’s biggest problem, which rests squarely with the showrunner(s). That is a killer for a heavily serialized show.
    One of the reasons that shows with brief seasons of 8-12 episodes often crackle and manage to stay on message is that the season is compact enough that the writers can keep up. The showrunners don’t run out of ideas, only to have to wing it and finish a season on fumes. It seems that few are able to cope with seasons of 20+ episodes, and still manage to maintain a coherent vision. This show feels like it’s written by people who fall behind quickly. It’s hard to support a show written by people who don’t appear able to present their own mythology consistently.
    Shows in that kind of creative rut always meander aimlessly once they get to the dog days, around episodes 11-16. You are far enough away from the end of the season, for which the showrunners have sketched out a broad outline, and far enough along from the start of the season that everyone is burned out trying to keep up. That doesn’t happen when showrunners have a vision. There is no vision for this show.
    As to the question, I’d keep it, but can’t make a good argument for doing so, except to note that the plan seems to be to deep six the flashbacks from March onwards. That is probably wise. Those 0.7 demo ratings look abysmal for a show that appears to be so expensive, though. Maybe it does well overseas? I’ve got nothing.

24. Natan says:

Owen, Alex, Harry acting first class. The writers SUCK. I cannot watch this any longer. Do the writers think this is a Daffy Duck cartoon??? Too many whizzing balls, no common sense.

25. Lisa Echerd says:

I call this show “The Bold and the Beautiful join the FBI” Stopped watching early in the first season. Cut it and make room for something else.

26. Matt says:

I like priyanka and the twins but this season has been so confusing. I can barely keep track

27. D George says:

Beginning season storyline fine, could follow it. Now getting more and more cumbersome. And I didn’t even get that bit about what Harry’s supposedly doing!

28. PFitzDC says:

Kim, I would have liked you to examine more reasons to cut than the low ratings. I think you make some good points about the case to keep (the sweet spot, the diverse cast). But you overlook how nonsensical the plot has become. It’s beyond ridiculous how fixated Alex is about letting her trust in various relationships guide her every decision when she works in a business that is inherently duplicitous. All-knowing, all-powerful baddies are suddenly impotent for no reason except it keeps the silly plot moving. I put up with a lot in my TV habits; I’ll remain show-loyal for a long time, but I started breaking up with Quantico in Season 1B. I gave it another try this fall, but I’m done.

29. Jen says:

Keep!!!! I remember when ABC first advertised this show (and then non-stop after) and it didn’t catch my interest. I stumbled upon it and was hooked; caught up on the first season within a few weeks. I normally don’t watch shows in this genre (Rookie Blue was an exception), but it’s a great show with diversity and something for everyone. I miss characters from last season, but Graham will be back as Caleb and the storyline will be one timeline starting at the end of episode 14. I am loving season 2-the characters are more mature and I love the struggle that Alex has had in the CIA; it makes her more relatable. Please watch!! Hope they get a chance to do a whole season with 1 timeline.

30. Julia says:

I kept believing it would get better and I just decided to quit midway through the last episode. If they get new writers and show runners I’ll be back but it’s just not good. I want Priyanka on a better show because she’s so fabulous.

31. Karen says:

Whilst I always watch this show, I was actually undecided about whether it should be cancelled or not. I love the characters and some of the premise, but it’s getting a bit frustrating to keep up with all the time jumps, etc. I voted to keep it but with a disclaimer that there would have to be some changes to the format and content of the show if I were to keep watching it. Not that my opinion matters much lol

32. dsrbroadway says:

I literally have no idea what’s going on during the current storyline, and worse yet, I’ve stopped paying attention to even try.

I know in a few weeks they’re dropping the flashbacks, so I hope that’ll help.

33. G says:

Cut it! Gave up after 2 episodes this season. Getting tired of the weekly run around and your no further ahead by the finale. So many other shows not given a chance

34. Spandex says:

The show started out really good and somehow had deterrioted creatively, something that’s really common with ABC shows (like Once Upon a Time). Broadcast networks need to find ways to sustain a show’s quality, they are getting eaten by the likes of Netflix, FX and HBO. The audience has developed an acquired taste and broadcast networks need to cater to millenials who hunger for quality over quantity.

Quantified had so much promise: Talent is sexy, good looking and great but obviously the writing and the creative design of the show has been lacking for sometime unfortunately.

35. Nero tTVfiddler says:

This is a tough call, but at this point, ‘cut’ is the best option. Once a show loses its audience, it is hard to get it back, particularly with a potential season 3 needed to gain back audience and demo. Hard to do that in a season 3… that ‘growing audience’ work should already have been accomplished by end of season 2… and that’s not going to happen.

If ABC has nothing better in the way of a 10pm drama for fall, then bring Quantico back, but why bother? ABC will take a chance on something new. Quantico has not done well in the Monday 10pm slot, and it didn’t do well in the Sunday 10pm slot. The show was moved last season from another 10pm slot. What’s left? Where would ABC place the show if it did come back this fall? Friday at 9pm?

It’s over. However, Priyanka Chopra is a star-in-the-making… I do hope she finds another job on broadcast/cable/streaming television… she has great appeal. I wish her the best.

36. Jo says:

They killed the double time lines too late. It was interesting for the first season, but way too confusing this season. No one was who they seemed to be, or not? The show would have to make a 180 degree turnaround for me to come back (but I’d give it a try, just cause the first season was so good and I’d like to have that fun back.

37. danoregon says:

I’m hoping next season Alex infiltrates the Food & Drug Administration to uncover the TRUTH about corn sugar.

38. Ally Oop says:

148% DVR playback!! Wow, that’s very good. Methinks the timeslot was a major problem. To be honest, I’ve only watched the first 4 episodes of this season, despite having loved last season. The dual timeline was getting too confusing and more-than-slightly annoying. Knowing though that they shifted the show to a single timeline though, I will watch the rest. Hopefully it gets renewed BUT I won’t hold my breath. Although international sales might come into play here.

39. EM says:

Lost interest towards the end of last season and deleted it from my DVR. Really like Chopra but not enough to watch this hot mess.

40. Ron says:

Denise Hemphill wil NOT be happy if her hit TV show ‘Quantico’ is cancelled after its thrilling second season!

41. kittycat925 says:

Been a fan of “Quantico” since day one but the storylines this season are a bit confusing especially when they flashback all the time. I was going to give up on the show but I’ll continue to stick to it through the end.

42. Mandy says:

I say keep it but this time focus on one timeline, that is where things went wrong in Season 2. The writers couldn’t handle two timelines. I would like to see this show get a second chance maybe reduce the amount of episodes though, maybe have this as a midseason type show? I don’t know, but I feel it should be given a chance.

43. For everyone saying that the 2 timelines have gotten repetitive, they will switch to a single timeline on episode 14 (2 eps away from now). Also, Caleb will come back to the show!
    I know this season hasn’t been as amazing as season 1, but please give it a chance! I think that it will get better with 1 timeline and the showrunner said that they will stop with the terrorist theme on season 3! So please please please, give it a chance! At least until the end of the season!

44. Temperance says:

Cut. The show never came though on it’s potential.

45. MikeW says:

Put it out of its misery. I can’t get over how bad the acting is, and don’t get me started on the dialogue. The writers should be ashamed.

46. Susan says:

I have REALLY tried to like this show but it’s not going to happen. They made this show so confusing and twisted that it’s difficult to know what’s going on. Everything seems scrambled and it’s not enjoyable to watch. I’ve tried but no longer.

47. JJ says:

Love the diversity and with the promise of one timeline it will be amazing! Every episode w/o the FF is HOT!!!

48. Jared says:

This shows a goner. No way will ABC renew it for another season with those ratings. The buzz that was there last year just didn’t make it back for S2.

49. Jay Reynolds says:

I wanted to like it… it’s just not good enough to hold my attention.

50. Ella says:

Would they cut it despite Chopra’s increasing popularity?