Why Didn't Jane Try to Save [Spoiler]? Did Gaga Troll Us? Does S.T.A.R. Labs Need a Refresh? And More TV Qs!

We’ve got questions, and you’ve (maybe) got answers! With another week of TV gone by, we’re lobbing queries left and right about shows including Saturday Night Live, Jane the Virgin, This Is Us and Supernatural!

1 | Not that Thornton was all fun and games, but is MacGyver‘s new boss Matty a bit of a buzzkill?

2 | Was any Sleepy Hollow fan asking for a Malcolm backstory episode?

denis-leary-kellyanne-conway4 | SNL viewers, is Melissa McCarthy’s Sean Spicer > Alec Baldwin’s Donald Trump? And if the show even for a second entertains the idea of casting Rosie O’Donnell as Steve Bannon, can we also get Denis Leary to play Kellyanne Conway?

5 | Do we think Lady Gaga asked Beyonce to make a cameo during the “Telephone” portion of her Super Bowl halftime show and Bae said no? Or was Mother Monster just deliberately trolling us?

6 | Jane the Virgin fans, did you find it strange that the doctor informed Jane about the details of her husband’s death over the phone? And why did no one attempt CPR when Michael collapsed? Finally, does the latest Sin Rostro Jane the Virgintwist feel like one too many? Hasn’t the show milked that storyline for all its worth at this point?

7 | On the tech-heavy Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., the quickest way for FitzSimmons to alert Coulson & Co. that they had an explosive Inhuman in captivity was to… run the length of the jet, and tell them in person?

8 | Creepier romantic gesture on This Is Us: Duke insulting Kate and totally ignoring the fact that she’s engaged, or Kevin making a fake Facebook profile to stalk his ex-wife? And how dare they bring on TV legend Marla Gibbs, only to make her a glorified extra?

9 | Have the New Girl writers forgotten that Winston, who just completed phase one of his proposal to Aly, is still married to Rhonda?

10 | Seeing as it now houses a museum and all, maybe The Flash‘s S.T.A.R. Labs could finally get a fresh coat of paint?The Flash

11 | Can Legends of Tomorrow‘s cranky Mick take over the opening voiceover of every superhero show?

12 | Considering how many times The Fosters‘ Callie has been in juvie, are you surprised that it took the show four seasons to show us the intake process in-depth?

13 | Bravo’s Imposters is just like ABC’s The Catch only, like, better, right?

14 | Shouldn’t Suits‘ Donna have been at least a little bit creeped out by the fact that her colleague was secretly recording her for years? And as much as we want The Donna gizmo, what exactly is its function?

15 | For those in the Code Black/Training Day Venn diagram overlap, are Marcia Gay Harden and Julie Benz “voice twins”?tvqs-training-day-delete

16 | Is Training Day trying too hard with its floating, multi-colored, multi-typeface subtitles?

17 | How on Earth did it take so long for Grey’s Anatomy‘s Jo to find out that the charges against Alex had been dropped? Surely someone would’ve texted her the news, right? And considering that Andrew was made into a veritable pariah after the beating, yet still tanked his own case against his attacker to protect Jo, didn’t she hug the wrong guy at the end of this week’s episode? Also, what was up with Meredith’s conspicuously vague declaration to Maggie, “I’m going to go binge-watch TV”? Was she too ashamed to identify the name of the show?

RELATED Grey’s Anatomy: Justin Chambers Talks That Hug, Teases Arrival of Jo’s Ex

Supernatural Recap18 | Supernatural‘s mechanical bull-riding scene was a fun end-of-episode treat, but what was the point of replaying all the other scenes we’d just seen?

19 | Would a hot tub, as Riverdale suggested, ever really get hot enough to threaten someone’s life? And isn’t what Betty did to Chuck — drugging and assaulting him — a lot worse than what Chuck did to Veronica?

20 | Could this week’s Powerless have almost been set in any ordinary city, at any kind of company? Holy generic workplace comedy, Batman!

21 | Wait, is IBM’s Watson the Tesseract?!tvqs-watson-delete

22 | How much do you hate Bravo’s new monotone announcer voice, not to mention its new simplistic on-air design? How can Bravo, of all networks, stand to be so basic?

Hit the comments with your answers – and any other Qs you care to share!

1. Brian says:

Yeah, what was up with using Marla Gibbs like that? As I watched I thought I hope there’s more to her part than just her being in that booth.

2. Wordsmith says:

3) I didn’t mind the statue mismatch so much as the glaring plot hole of how a guy who lives just one day every seven years somehow became a wealthy philanthropist who donated a park to the city and posed for a statue.

3. Agent Adler says:

1. Tip: find old MacGyver with RDA. Season 3, episode 12. Agent Matt Webber wasn’t a good guy. I don’t really watch the show, I’ve seen only couple of episodes so far and I didn’t liked it very much but I read recaps out of curiosity and I see that Matty’s character development is rushed. I find it suspicious.

4. Wordsmith says:

Those Training Day subtitles gave me the impression that somebody on their staff is a fan of John Wick.

5. Kevin says:

#4 – Melissa McCarthy’s spoof as Sean Spicer would be great if SNL should bring her back as host and join the Five Timers Club.

6. Shar says:

Re Grey’s – can Maggie stop being an immature brat since she repairs hearts for a living?
    Re the previous item about casting for a Dr. McBaddy for the show – Jon Hamm so he can escape the tax ads? Or Denis Leary who can be both charming & scary?

7. Wordsmith says:

17) re: Jo not hearing about Alex until the evening, she was probably asleep all day – maybe her phone was off? As for the hug, I think DeLuca definitely deserves one for being a true mensch, especially after his talk with Karev, but it felt true to Jo’s character that her first reaction was to see Alex. I like that the hug didn’t suddenly make everything better, either.

• JennyfromGeorgia says:

I agree–It seemed natural that Jo would see Alex after hearing the news and I also am so glad that the hug didn’t ‘fix’ everything.

8. Tom says:

4 | SNL viewers, is Melissa McCarthy’s Sean Spicer > Alec Baldwin’s Donald Drumpf? And if the show even for a second entertains the idea of casting Rosie O’Donnell as Steve Bannon, can we also get Denis Leary to play Kellyanne Conway?
    ~
    It could be good if you want to have Kate McKInnon doing Hillary at the same time.
    ~
    ~
    Maybe they wanted to make sure the message got through?
    ~
    ~
    I don’t watch either show but I have seen them in other stuff and off the top of my head I can kind of hear it yes.
    ~
    ~
    Portions of it yes, but they’d have different products then
    ~
    21 | Wait, is IBM’s Watson the Tesseract?!
    ~
    Just keep Thanos away from it

9. Cj says:

That Jane was noticed over the phone really bothered me. Clearly Michael was taken away in an ambulance and identified as a cop because they knew about his injury you would think uniforms would go to her house and tell her.

10. Kate says:

They are addressing the Rhonda issue in the next few episodes.

11. #6.We only saw him collapse then Jane getting the call.We don’t know what happened in between,msybe Somone did cpr but it didn’t work.Or it’s entirely possible that nobody in the room knew cpr What bothers me more was Jane being told by phone he died instead of being called that he in the hostpital and had collapse and her going to the the hospital and bring told there and then he’d died.

• grazelled says:

I agree with your very valid points. In a normal drama or real life, Jane would have been called to the hospital and told in person but this is a very soapy show so they had to do the dramatic effect collapse with Raf but they still could have done that in a hospital room.

12. skrable2 says:

17. After using Training Day and Man on Fire in the same sentence, is it officially a new drinking game to find the Denzel film titles in Training Day dialogue?

Also, on Bones, in one of the funniest episodes in years, was the best moment when the victim’s injured fiancee tried to position her scarf properly around her neck brace?

13. tallsy says:

6. On JtV, I wondered about that too. But I guess that’s technology. Soon they’ll just send the skull and crossbones emoji.
    13. Imposters is better than The Catch sure, but is it any good? They’re going to need to rely a lot on Parker Young to keep me interested.
    18. That was a silly ending to Supernatural, but I did like the song choice of “Broomstick Cowboy.”
    19. If it turns out Betty is the murderer in Riverale, that would be a great pay off for what was a preachy Very Special Episode.

14. RDT says:

On The Flash, couldn’t Barry have just phased the pile of rubble rather than the whole train and people?

15. 1- Matty is SO off-putting. It’s making the show less fun.
    6- The Sin Rostro stuff is very old now. And the idea that Louisa would still be devoted to her after everything she’s seen and learned is a bit of a stretch.
    8- Everything about Duke is creepy. EVERYTHING. There’s no way he would still have a job after then things he says to the paying customers.

16. S.T.A.R. Labs could actually do with some security first. Anyone can walk in! I don’t even think I’ve ever seen anyone on reception.

17. ScottJ says:

19 Riverdale – the whole hot tub bit wasn’t just about Betty and Veronica. It was also justice for Barb ..oops Ethel, Polly, and the dozens of other women in the ledger.

18. Kiki says:

#6 If Michael died at the school they would have taken him to the morgue not the hospital. You can’t really pretend that the person is anything but dead at the morgue and they were calling her so that she could come and identify the body.

19. Jim says:

#11 – Definitely. The voiceover was hilarious this week

20. Jamie says:

8. I knew she looked familiar!! Marla Gibbs has a crap ton of Emmy nods for a show that’s still well-known (and has reruns aired) decades after it went off the air. Odd choice to basically have her play an extra in that diner scene…

12. I think the only reason they showed the juvie intake this time was to foreshadow a prison rape storyline – since they discussed it in her intake, and she admitted that she had been raped before. In her next scene, we saw a girl in her room being taken away in the middle of the night by a guard. I think Callie might be threatened with sexual assault again.

21. 3 | On Grimm, Monroe’s mock-up of the crime sketch looked nothing like the statue in the park, right?

NOTHING AT ALL. We were so confused about that one. And neither looked like the actor!

22. Csr says:

#2 – No
    #4 – yes, I would start watching SNL again for that!

23. Alichat says:

2) Well, it did flesh his character out a little more so he’s not the one-dimensional villain
    3) Yes, I was with Nick, Wu, and Hank. I didn’t see the similarity. But my big issue was the Wesen of the Week explanation. Couldn’t we have learned more about him? How did he gain so much wealth if he can only crawl out of the ground one day every 7 years? Is this an issue he grows into? Once he reaches a certain age, then he has to become a cicada? Does he have no other family? Do they not procreate? Couldn’t we have just had the woman pepper spray him and that killed him instead of her being some sort of hippo wesen that we don’t know anything about? Or she could have been a Cicada Hawk. Should there have been a history of disappearances happening every 7 years going on for centuries?
    7) I thought that was odd as well. Was there some interference with the coms preventing him from notifying them?
    17) That whole Jo-Alex-DeLuca story was a waste, and this love triangle is going to annoy me. I know it will.

24. LAwoman says:

#4: Denis Leary! This needs to happen.
    #8: Duke is the worst.
    #17: Yes, DeLuca needs a hug.

25. KLS says:

Didn’t every CSI show (except maybe Cyber) have a body poached in a hot tub?

26. Oliver Covington says:

Does anyone else think that Mr. Kaplan is behind the Isabella Lucas stuff on Blacklist?

27. Stacey says:

Number 11, yes please!! The opening monologue by Mick was hilarious!! He definitely makes the show! `Sarah and Jax are awesome too!! Can’t wait till Snart is back!

28. Larc says:

1- Matty just arrived on the scene and already does evaluations? She hasn’t been there long enough to have that good a handle on things. It’s poor character construction, IMO. Writers are likely at fault.

• Agent Adler says:

I think the writers are doing all this on purpose. I wouldn’t be surprised to find out that Matty is the real Chrysalis or she’s working for one. They moved Thornton out of the way to infiltrate The Phoenix Foundation.
      As I recall Pete Thornton from 80s’ Mac was set up by an agent named Matt Webber.

29. 6 does bother me. They could have tried CPR. Unless he had an aortic dissection then it would be too late to save him, even if they did attempt life saving measures. But I’m vouching on dissection, just for benefit of the doubt.

30. lrdslvrhnd says:

10) Maybe that’s why it closes in May… or it closes in May because it doesn’t even make enough money to afford a fresh coat of paint…
    11) Yes please. I was laughing my butt off about his version. I will say, I do enjoy them taking turns and putting their own spin on things. I can’t wait to hear the new guys’ versions… so maybe at least get through the entire lineup before switching to Mick permanently.
    16) Yeah, the weird emphasis on seemingly random words was, well, weird.
    17) Maybe Meredith just doesn’t know what show she’s going to binge-watch. It’s probably been a while since she’s had a chance to watch something that wasn’t kid-friendly…
    18) I’m kinda hoping that they showed those scenes to suggest that Dean does, indeed, remember that day as well, especially Rowena’s conversation.

31. Hannah says:

Given that Sleepy Hollow had filmed 12 of its 13 episodes by the time the S4 premiere aired, fan likes/dislikes/requests will have zero impact on the direction this season (if it ever did).

32. Wendy says:

Denis Leary as Conway would be brilliant!

33. Marci says:

I also wondered why no one tried CPR on Michael. Since the Michael/Jane storyline was the main reason I watched the show, I won’t be watching anymore. I’m certainly not interested in seeing another version of Sin Rostro and the Raphael/Petra storyline has gotten tiresome, so there’s no reason for me to watch anymore.

34. Flashrow says:

OMG 11 is the best. We need this happens.

35. Mike says:

Looks like Training Day saw John Wick and went “oooooooohh…colored subtitles…”
    And missed everything else about the film. But hey it’s CBS.

36. PatriciaLee says:

1. The husband says, “Oh, she’s OK, but comes down a little heavy, doesn’t she?” I find her a little fun, but she is teetering onto the buzzkill zone. 2. The only backstory I am ever interested in is Ichabod’s. 4. Zinger idea! 7. I would have thought they should have had the ear piece microphone combo. 11. Wasn’t that the coolest?! I agree. 16. Maybe, it’s a bored graphic artist, on board?

37. phredd! says:

“This Is Us” is all about moments that somehow connect with each other. Having someone as famous as Marla Gibbs on for a seemingly brief appearance may lead to something else down the line. With this show, I would not be surprised if we see her again in some capacity.

38. Temperance says:

19 – Even typical hot tubs can be fatal if you stay in too long. And you can crank them up.

39. Chloe says:

#6 Hospitals do strange things sometimes. When my uncle died in the hospital, they called my mother at 2AM, told her he had died & asked if she was coming over. They were rather irritated when she told them that my father wasn’t home [he was babysitting my uncle’s house & dog] & that she wasn’t coming over at that hour. They wanted to know what to do with the body.

What hit me as odd was the doctor telling Jane that the cause of death was because of Michael’s gun shot. Wouldn’t they have done an autopsy before coming to that conclusion?

40. dude says:

The fact that no one gave him CPR didn’t bother me because I dont think a lot of people in that situation would be thinking that clearly but it really bothered me they told her over the phone cause that would NEVER happen.

41. Chris says:

#6 Don’t care about how or why Michael died. I’m bothered by the fact he died at all. These writers think they are so brilliant in killing off a main character and doing a time jump, like it’s never been done before. *rolls eyes*

Michael kept me interested in the Sin Rostro case. Without him, what’s the point? I’d say this storyline needs to end, but since I’m no longer a viewer, I could care less.

42. SurfsUp says:

4) Denis Leary as Kellyanne Conway? LMAO! Brilliant! Now how about that weird dude who played “Screech” on Saved By The Bell to play Paul Ryan?

43. SoMuchHope says:

23. Why is TV starting to go downhill again? No more remakes, reboots, weak spinoff and better plots for shows older than 4 seasons.

44. John Anderson says:

Did anyone pick up on the in-joke to Married with Children on Modern Family this week? (Hint: Look out for how Joe is sitting on the couch)

45. Audrey WB says:

I think it will come up but a mention would have been nice.

Since Michael is dead I don’t care at all. I am done with JTV!

46. Heather says:

18. To show that he DOES remember everything

47. Kels says:

17-I am so over the victim blaming with DeLuca. Alex got off way too easy. That is annoying enough but literally every single aspect of the Minnick storyline is driving up a flipping tree. Everyone is acting unbelievably stupidly in this storyline but especially Bailey. I think I need a Grey’s break. Not sure I’ll be back.

48. Ella says:

#17 – I feel so bad for Andrew. I’ve felt bad for him all season. As much as I love Alex (and despise Jo), Andrew is a good guy. Actually, he’s a GREAT guy. He deserved much more credit than he got for the way he handled the other doctors blaming him for his actions, despite the fact that he was the victim. He also deserved a lot more gratitude from Jo, and everyone else, this episode. Hopefully they’ll give it to him next episode but I’m not holding my breath given how everyone has been behaving towards him this season. I’m glad at least Alex finally apologized and got told it like it is when he did so.

#18 – I loved the ending montage. I don’t think it was meant to be so much funny as bittersweet. Dean’s life is mostly a mixture of death and heartbreak, so while the witch’s spell was a terrible thing eating away at everything he knew, for a moment he was innocent, childlike, and free of the weight of the world on his shoulders. That’s what they were trying to showcase, if you listened carefully to the lyrics of the song playing the background, “Broomstick Cowboy”. Eventually, as with childhood, it all ended, and he was a grown up with all the problems and troubles of adulthood and his life as a hunter. ” So dream on, little Broomstick Cowboy, Dream while you can; For soon, you’ll be a dreadful thing: My son, you’ll be a man.”

49. Bill says:

I loved seeing Marla Gibbs on This is Us. Wonder if she’s actually Randall’s mom or aunt?

50. Allie says:

Who cares about Beyawnce, Gaga got to solo with James Hetfield and Metallica! They blew the room away and schooled everyone but Adele on what real singing and music is all about. I totally want to see Metallica and Gaga go out on tour. Two totally different acts that rock and when they perform together it’s beyond awesome.