Joe Mascolo Death

Days of Our Lives' Joe Mascolo Makes Final Appearance as Stefano Today

One of soaps’ greatest villains is taking his final bow.

Days of Our Lives actor Joe Mascolo, who played iconic baddie Stefan DiMera for the better part of three decades and passed away in December at the age of 87, will make his last appearance in today’s episode.

Per NBC, the episode — which is dedicated to Mascolo — finds several longtime rivals confronting Stefano “about his transgressions against each of them over the years.” TVLine can confirm that Mascolo will share scenes with Galen Gering (Rafe), Deidre Hall (Marlena) and Leann Hunley (Anna).

Mascolo left and returned to the role of Stefano several times since making his debut in 1982, even joining CBS’ The Bold and the Beautiful for an extended stint from 2001 to 2006. But he always came back to Days.

Scroll down to watch Days’ special tribute video to Mascolo and Stefano.

1. Wrstlgirl says:

Today’s episode is going to be hard to watch I think. But what a great tribute to the Phoenix!!!

2. Kevin says:

Definitely be tuning in. One of the greatest soap villains of all time.

3. Erica says:

If you are in the NY area and Days isn’t on because of storm coverage, it will be airing right now on Cozi TV!!!

4. GuessWhat says:

just watched it — the actor used great facial expressions and laughed — but did not speak. it’s amazing to me that even in the throws of Alzheimers, he was still able to “act.” RIP!

5. What a beautiful tribute. Even though I didn’t like his character…I will miss him! Sounds like a wonderful man.

6. Jackie Betters says:

Joseph Mascolo didn’t seem to have alizimer. When was the scene shot that is being aired today 2/9^17 since he died this past December.

7. Roz Brumfield says:

Enjoyed one last view of this delightful villain. Thanks, Days.

8. Mary Jane says:

One of the best actors on days , will miss You , not the same without you

9. Candy says:

It just went off. Crying!

10. Maureen Shilliday says:

Stephano will be a character truly missed on “Days”

11. Pam C says:

He will be missed.
    May you rest in peace Joseph Mascolo. One of the best. Thanks for entertaining us for over three decades.

12. Peggy Muchmore says:

Have watched DOOL since the beginning. I love to hate Stephano. I was so glad they showed this episode of him. Just finished watching. Kudos DOOL. I would like to say that I do not want to see the show come to an end. I have heard this is the last year and think you are making a mistake. We have to many talk shows on now and a good daytime drama is needed. I hope you reconsider if you are planning to cancel the show. #savedaysofourlivesplease.

13. Lauri Bryant says:

Thats what i want to know, how did they film his departure, since he passed in December. How far out do they shoot their scenes

14. Jan Tanner says:

I send condolences to his family and friends. He played the part so well, one had to remind themselves this is acting. A character one loved to dislike, because he played the part so well. R.I.P JOSEPH MASCOLO.

15. Anita G. says:

I’ve been watching Days since my”Junior Year” in collage…I just turn 68!!!
    What a great character. May Stephano and Joe M. rest in Peace!!

16. Maria leferman says:

A touching farewell to an actor of the ages who will be so greatly missed to all DOOL fans. Loved the tribute page at the end of the show, and I am sure he is smiling down on us all. Rest In Peace to both Stefano and Joseph Mascolo.

17. Judy says:

I will truly miss Joseph Mascolo on Days. What a fantastic actor! Always kept us guessing what he would have planned next. Nobody can ever fill his shoes. Rest in Peace……

18. Debbie says:

Unfortunately, I was unable to watch today’s episode due to Our Snow Storm All Day Coverage in RI.

19. Caroline Ernst says:

I was sad when moscolo passed away loved seeing him again but I could have lived without him sitting in a jail cell silent while they told him off. Also after decades of torture it’s kinda sucks not to see some witty banter and him with a big smile and laugh as he wins one last time

20. jeri dickinson says:

He never spoke but he did laugh once enjoyed seeing him once more I always loved his character and will miss him

21. isabell dirling says:

I love Days of Our Lives! My mother watched before me and my daughter watches now. I have watched since 1973. I’ve been through the up and downs with the members of Salem. I love them all!

22. jeri dickinson says:

He never spoke but he did laugh once will miss the character always loved him on the show

23. jeri dickinson says:

He never spoke but he did laugh guess he wasn’t able to say any lines but he did laugh. will miss his character on the show always loved him

24. Marlies Antoniades says:

You can watch it tomorrow on your laptop iPad or cell phone. Go to NBC.com/days of our lives and get the full episodes.

25. Rhonda says:

Is it just me, or did the video of Stefano seem really old? He did not have jet black hair when he left the show. He looks much younger in these scenes. Maybe that is why he didn’ttalk.

26. So sad to see him gone. RIP Stephano -Joseph Mascolo. Will miss him in the show.

27. Patricia M Kesinger says:

I will miss Stefano DiMera, he was sexy, romantic, he exhumed the kind of man a woman would want as a friend, lover, husband. He was so good looking never thought he was 87. RIP my friend.

28. mike says:

Stefano can never really die and Mr Mascolo will always be remembered as daytime TV’s greatest villan.

29. H. Marie Smith says:

As someone who started a Community Theater group in 1948 and whose husband was also an actor, I was always impressed with Joseph’s acting abilities. I have been watching Days for years and I will miss him. I hope Days continues to go on because it has such a great cast and interesting storylines.

30. kara says:

The Phoenix always rises!! Loved today’s episode! Great way to honor Joseph Mascolo and Stefano!!

31. kaya says:

So, long ,,,Stefano ! We will see you in heaven!

32. Wendy Bahan says:

Rest In Peace Joe and thank you for all the years of entertainment you gave us. You will never be forgotten.

33. Michele Calverley says:

Well, I just finished watching the recording of the last day of Joe on Days… It was tough to watch knowing he has passed. may he truly rest in peace.

34. Denise conrad says:

Glad to see him one last time. I’ve been watching over 30 years . He was the best villain . He’ll of an actor. My condolences to the family . RIP

35. Vina dejoria says:

A beautiful tribute ..
    R.I.P Joseph mascolo. You will be missed and you are one amazing actor.

36. Eva says:

This is very sad. He was a very very good actor. I will miss hem. Bye Setefano! I will miss you.

37. Cheryl says:

Love the show I watched it with my nan when was alive i used to ring her if couldn’t watch after school to ask her all about it and still watch it very sad to think stefano has gone