Reality Check American Idol

American Idol Revival Eyed at... NBC!

Well, that didn’t take long.

Less than a year after its 15-season run ended on Fox, American Idol may be returning to television — on NBC.

Per Variety, which first broke the news, Fremantle Media — which produces Idol — pitched Peacock execs a revival of the long-running singing competition. NBC is said to be seriously considering the idea, and, according to Variety, could cut The Voice down from two cycles a year to one to make room for it.

Following a Summer 2002 debut season that averaged 12 million total viewers, Idol at its zenith (Season 5) was pulling north of 30 million viewers and as 12.0+ demo rating. Its farewell (or “farewell”) run on Fox averaged 9.1 million viewers and a 2.2 rating.

At the Television Critics Association press tour last year, Idol‘s longtime host Ryan Seacrest didn’t rule out the possibility of a revival. “When you’ve got a franchise that has this kind of heritage and you’ve got a franchise that generates X amount of millions of people, if it sustains, does that mean it’s the end?” he said. “I’m not so sure.”

What do you think? Is it too soon? And would you be content with one less Voice cycle per year if it meant getting Idol back? Hit the comments!

1. Suso says:

What a slap in the face to “The Voice,” which saved NBC’s dwindling ratings several years ago and has remained a stable, good performer since then.

• Is it a slap in the face? The Voice’s ratings haven’t been great in recent seasons.

Plus, I am sure Adam Levine and Blake Shelton want to take a break, but as much as a small segment of internet fans would like that to happen, it would further hurt the ratings.

One cycle a year with all of the key coaches is best for everyone.

• militantgod says:

You’re right. They’re over saturating the show. I have never watched it but common sense says that if you shove something down people’s throats, as NBC has been doing, they’re going to get sick of it. I’m surprised it’s held on as well as it has. Dialing it back would probably be best for the long term future of the show.,

• Ram510 says:

So if you feel The Voice rating haven’t been “great” then what did you think of American Idol’s ratings? The Voice was beating AI seasons ago

• The Voice’s ratings were better. I never denied that. But a shorter season on NBC with no competition from The Voice throughout the week might improve them. And that might help The Voice in the fall as fans of its slightly different format will be refreshed due to the break.

• DL says:

I disagree. I like The Voice but it’s starting to feel overexposed. It would be nice to switch it up a little. And I’m actually hopeful about NBC revamping the Idol format. FOX just couldn’t figure out how to modernize.

• wmjindsm says:

It’s been mentioned the producers of The Voice have been wanting to cut back to once a year instead of twice.

2. Jennifer says:

God no. Let this absurd fad die out. It’s getting ridiculous.

Anyway, doesn’t NBC have one already called “The voice”????

• Collette says:

Unlike American Idol, the Voice has NEVER produced a single star. If NBC does pick Idol up I hope they retain Ryan Seacrest and begin with a different band [Ricky Minor tends to overwhelm the vocalists] and new judges. My ideal panel [3 not 4] would be some of these: Baby Face, Jon Bon Jovi, Dianne Warren, Alicia Keys, and Billy Joel. And open up the songbook by clearing more songs.

3. Gemma says:

Yessss, bring Slezak and Melinda back! (the only reason to care about this, right?)

4. Lola says:

No! Stop it! And NBC you have The Voice along with AGT(which allows singing) no need for more.

5. Dev says:

Ugh that’s obnoxious. Just let it die. The Voice is plenty.

6. I would actually be excited about this. I always enjoyed the Idol format more than the voice. Some different judges and a fresh style could make this work. If NBC could get back the judges from the Sing-Off (Ben Folds, Shawn Stockman and Sara Bareilles), I think it would be a success.

7. Judi says:

NO to the NO, to the NO, NO, NO, NO

8. Haz says:

What is wrong with NBC? It seems like all they want are reboots and revivals. Cruel Intentions (which they should have never attempted or brought SMG in knowing it would not work on a network), Taken, LA Law, a Law & Order revival (which I think is dead now?), Single White Female, and the list could keep going. After the success of This Is Us I would think they would be trying to capitalize on it and doing more shows like it.

• SJ says:

This fits NBC’s pattern perfectly. They find a hit in The Blacklist, and then immediately try to clone it with Blindspot and The Player (now even its own spin-off). Little Big Shots hits and suddenly there’s a senior edition popping up. The L&O reboot isn’t dead, it’s just not cast/staffed yet but they also have a reality show by Dick Wolf and a limited L&O event series, the first installment of which will focus on the Menendez case. Not to mention a new Chicago franchise show basically every season.

The maddening thing is, for the most part, it’s actually working for them! NBC is the highest rated broadcast network and they also have the highest rated scripted line-up. So I guess mediocrity will always get rewarded. Hence, an American Idol revival. Makes perfect sense for them.

9. Eran says:

I would sooner watch a Mullets revival.

10. Asia says:

Nooooooo, don’t do it! Leave it alone! Seriously, isn’t the Voice enough? I don’t even watch that show but I feel burned out just by hearing about it because the show just went off in December and it’s going to be back in a few weeks. They’ve exhausted singing competitions, let it rest.

11. Tom Ted says:

I think Idol would be a good fit. Yes, the Voice has been a solid performer but you never hear about a winner doing an album. And having Idol on NBC would give Michael Slezak more to talk about which is a good thing.

12. Margaret Harris says:

No! It was bad enough when it was on Fox. We do not need another reality show. Be more original please.

13. Mike says:

Now this is all kinds of stupid. Why cut into your own show’s success by giving it competition?

14. TV Fanatic says:

Love the idea of cutting the Voice down to a one season a year format and I think it could definitely help make the show stay fresh longer instead of burning viewers because it’s on twice a year. Plus NBC could make Idol great again and the Idol brand is definitely more familiar with creating actual stars – which is something the Voice continues to lack in.

15. Tanya Purifoy says:

I have never watched the voice but I watch Idol from the first to the last show. Please bring it back!

16. Billy meacham says:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

17. Margo Langley says:

I may be one of very few, but I was glad when Idol was cancelled. Loved the judges, just tired of the show. Voice is all that’s needed right now (to me)!!

18. Margo Langley says:

Please, no more Idol. The Voice is good enough. This should be able the talent, not how many celebs want to be seen!

19. Rachel Maurer says:

AI has pushed out bonafide stars … The Voice — not so much. If I was part of the Voice – I’d be pretty pissed but I’m a sucker for these shows and I’d watch it for sure.

20. steven says:

Didn’t FOX already try airing two singing competition shows with The X-Factor in the fall and American Idol midseason, and the lesser flopped after three seasons?

21. Maria says:

I’d watch if Keith Urban came back as a judge. But I only ever watched it for him. Aside from Carrie Underwood and a few others, most of the contestants haven’t gone on to huge careers anyway, especially lately. So, yeah, Keith’s pretty face was pretty much my only incentive.

22. Superwoman says:

No….just no!

23. danoregon says:

Negotiating tactic.

24. kmw says:

I would understand FOX wanting to do this but not NBC. The Voice, while not as strong as it once was, is still pretty good for them and cutting The Voice down for Idol I think wouldn’t work for them. But who knows. Idol even if not on NBC will end up somewhere in the next couple of years

25. Jill says:

They don’t need it. “The Voice” is a much better show. Besides, I can’t stand Ryan Seacrest. Never could I don’t know why people seem to think he’s God’s gift to broadcasting.

• Mary says:

Well IMO he is better than any of the others especially Carson. I guess everyone has different taste because after the first year I haven’t watch the voice. It got so mundane and honestly the judges were annoying. Maybe if they actually produced a viable recording star instead of promoting the judges I would have tuned back in.

26. cat says:

i loved American Idol and would love to see it back. It definitely has a much better track record for promoting and developing “star performers”. The Voice does not. I could do with less voice and more Idol. Keeping my fingers crossed!

27. Lolo says:

It’s a no from me.

28. readenreply says:

I really wanna see a mash up of Top model with a singing completion. Real Coaching. This week you must sell a music video that you create, etc. Focused on really what is takes to be a success.

Enough with good singers that can’t sell records.

29. Mary says:

Not going lie, I do miss it but I don’t think NBC is the place for it. With the voice, which I don’t watch, I think it will be overkill. I say wait a year or two and then reboot on Fox or another network but not NBC if the voice is still on.

30. TiredofTripe says:

Did anyone here watch or read about the last few seasons of “Idol”?

They were a mess. The show should have ended years earlier.

The ratings were rapidly declining after Season 9, as well.

Let “Idol” rest in peace. Or in pieces as the case may be.

• ChrisG says:

But if Simon were to come back . . .

• TiredofTripe says:

Cowell is committed to “AGT” in the U.S. and “The X Factor” in Britain.

Plus, he owes Angela Peel, Lisa Leuschner, Suzy Vulaca, Ayla Brown, Gedeon McKinney, Sabrina Sloan, A.J. Tabaldo, Asia’h Epperson, Alexandrea Lushington, Ricky Braddy, Kristen McNamara, Mishavonna Henson, Jesse Langseth, Felicia Barton, Junot Joyner, Lilly Scott, Alex Lambert, and Katelynn Epperly huge apologies.

• jimmy says:

I watched, and I enjoyed.

31. Tasha says:

I haven’t really watch the Voice in its entirety since season 1. Has many many people been successful? I mean in American Idol they didn’t even have to be the winner to receive some success after Idol. Idol clearly gave people a better chance to be successful even if it leads to acting like Katharine McPhee and Jennifer Hudson or the winner of Dancing with the Stars like Kellie Pickler…

32. retsim says:

For the sake of ho ever you believe in stop this tired cheap show .

33. Brock Hard says:

It’s off the air for a reason. The show had run its course, and there is a glut of talent competition reality TV. No need for another one.

34. TVFan says:

Maybe they will have the “coaches” from The Voice be the “judges” on Idol.

35. Lo says:

I would love to see American Idol Return Sincentives it ended I thought their no competition show out their that could measure to what American Idol gad accomplished I was a regular viewer massive voter and it was my fix every week. So I thought this last year I try looking at that voice just to see didn’t vote just watched it,I can tell you right now not just because I was a #:1 fan of American Idol but my husband even agreed with me it didn’t have that “SOMETHING” American Idol had, your show was in its own zip code, You Ryan was a Hugh part of that Wow factor but even the level of competition was not their with the Voice.,it lacks humor authenticity and American Idol Pulled you in, you week to week were part of the show like family I Wish you All The luck and I pray you Come Back I Think You would do Awesome

36. jimmy says:

I LOVE THIS and would be so excited to watch. The Voice just doesn’t do it for me. I wonder if they would bring Simon in to the mix since he already is making AGT do well for the network.

37. jr. says:

Yes. Bring it back. Make sure Ryan comes along too!

38. Marsha says:

Great idea! Totally in favor. One Voice and one Idol. Love it!!!

39. J.Norman says:

Idol has had its day.
    That said, it could probably draw in the 1.8 – 2.2 range provided it remained a show about the contestants.
    Voice has always been about the judges and their popularity. Not the contestants, so much.

But to think it (Idol) will ever approach its former domination. .? Nope, even by comparison with todays ratings measurements.

For NBC? Why not? The Voice is aging and sinking away.. NBC literally has run it into the ground,

40. Sue Gibson says:

I would be happy to have one less cycle of the Voice so that American Idol can come back on..

41. Ruth says:

NO! Don’t mess with The Voice!!!
    Idol is ok, but not at that cost!!!

42. Dani says:

I think I’ll watch singing shows again if contestants actually become something. But I think these TV talents shows are kinda obsolete because most of the talent go to YouTube and try to be relatively famous there.

43. Yoko says:

Are they so desperate they need to dredge this crap up again? Are there no NEW ideas at all? Thank God there is cable/netflix and hulu.

44. Lynn says:

Those final season ratings were prettying good for network shows these days. I thought they were worse. Idol had the sense not to run it into the ground and cut back to once a year, unlike the voice. I had stopped watching it a long time ago and only watched the Voice the first season. I’ve had enough of these shows but I’m sure NBC will try and run it into the ground like the Voice.

45. David says:

NBC reviving American Idol? No way! I prefer The X Factor being revived by CBS or ABC or still Fox. Because The X Factor does groups and American Idol doesn’t. So forget about reviving American Idol and focus on reviving The X Factor instead.

46. Taylor says:

Why isn’t Slezak writing about this? No offense to Ausiello, who I love. Just wondering where slezak has been lately!

47. Cindy L Giese says:

Bring ideal back it’s might be the only way besides the voice that talent is found