The OA Renewed Season 2

The OA Renewed for Part II at Netflix

Everyone put your fanned-out hands together and breathe out a frightful whoosh!, because Netflix has renewed the supernatural thriller The OA for Season 2 — or “Part II,” as it is being dubbed.

Released in mid-December, The OA stars Brit Marling (who co-created the very odd bird with Zal Batmanglij) as Prairie Johnson, a young woman who returns to her adoptive parents from a years-long vanishing, now no longer blind. And that, my friends, is far, far, far from the wildest aspect of her time spent missing.

The eight-episode Season 1 co-starred Alice Krige (Tyrant) and Scott Wilson (The Walking Dead) as Prairie’s parents, while Patrick Gibson, Emory Cohen (Smash), Phyllis Smith (The Office) and Jason Isaacs (Awake) played some of the other key people in her life.

The OA‘s pickup comes days after Netflix announced a Halloween timeframe for the Season 2 premiere of Stranger Things, one of its other supernatural-tinged originals.

Watch a teasey teaser below:

1. Cas says:

I tried watching this. Got about halfway through and just was so bored. But good for the show!

• Nick says:

Go watch the end. This is the only show in history that has been able to make a school shooting something hilarious. When they start doing interpretive dance at the shooter I literally spit my drink out laughing. Other than that though I thought the show was terrible.

• Exactly the same. I laughed hard for at least a minute and texted my friend to watch the whole season just so he could get to the finale.

• Vanessa says:

I agree with this whole thing.

Doesn’t matter what the background or genre of the show is, the idea that anyone would react to an active school shooter by standing up and doing some ridiculous interpretive dance is so absurd I laughed so hard. And I also agree that the show was terrible. A pretentious, bunch of nonsensical nothing.

2. abbyrose says:

interesting. i found the ambiguity of the ending a little frustrating. And for me, the show also veered a bit into the ridicuous. But i’ll be curious to see how it develops in a second season….

3. josue_can says:

Loved it as much as Stranger Things. Am totally stoked, cant wait for season 2!

4. AlliDone says:

I’m so glad they renewed it! I watched the entire series on Sunday. It’s got a pretty slow burn of a narrative, but I really enjoyed the story.

5. This is great news! I watched “Part I” and enjoyed it thoroughly, so can’t wait to see what they do with Part II. I also enjoyed Stranger Things, so am really thrilled about that one, too!

6. Steven says:

I’m assuming Travelers isn’t coming back?

• Nick says:

Man that better get another season. If this crap show and Stranger Things, which didn’t really need a season 2, can get another season than that show better get one.

• Nick says:

If they are giving this garbage show another season that better get one too. That show was awesome.

• James R. says:

I hope you guys realize that Travellers is a Canadian show and whether it gets renewed or not is not up to Netflix.

• gary l harms says:

I didn’t realize that. So it’s really just a matter of whether Netflix decides to offer it to us or not then. I liked it but Sy Fy is a hard sell in the best of series.

7. Ed says:

I watched season 1 but won’t be watching season 2. The pilot was strong and I was hooked, but it quickly went downhill. The last few episodes were silly and that finale was just horrible. It came out of left field and was laughable, not dramatic. It had such potential but just turned to a hot mess.

8. kate says:

This makes me so happy (and like that they seem to have listened to a lot of fan discussion and analysis and that got them thinking) but I wonder if they will be able to keep it as secret as they were before as some of the actors (like especially the…nevermind) have outside followings and might wonder where they go, you know, if they are…nevermind.

9. Spence says:

So excited for this! The OA was one of the best shows I’ve seen in a long while.

10. Thea says:

Happy for this! That ending was frustrating!!

11. BlittleU says:

Fantastic news. I understand why some found it boring and/or too odd, but, I really enjoyed it. For me, it was one of the few pleasant entertainment surprises of the year. I don’t know where they will go in season 2, but I look forward to finding out.

12. asm says:

This is another stupid creation by Brit marling & her partner. If you know her movies, you’d know.

13. gary l harms says:

Have to admit, I almost gave up on this after the first episode. I just felt it wasn’t to my liking. But I went back….and back again until I loved it. Very original, extremely well acted and superbly written. Looking forward to the next chapter.

14. Vanessa says:

Easily one of the worst things on tv last year.

15. Soraya E. says:

Good! My tweet helped. I take credit for this renewal. I kid, but I’m happy with this news. It’s so angelicious!

16. gary l harms says:

To all who did not believe in the power of the Movements….the Second Chapter of renewal was possible only due to we believing viewers who learned and practiced the 6th movement.