Code Black Recap

Code Black Finale Recap: Angels Memorial Hospital vs. the Virus

Warning: The following contains spoilers for Wednesday’s Code Black finale.

Between Code Black‘s viral outbreak-themed Season 2 finale on Wednesday night and last year’s CW drama Containment, I never want to set foot inside a hospital again.

On the CBS medical drama, Angels Memorial’s infected only have ten hours left to live. If that weren’t enough to convince you the situation is really dire, 15 people are already dead — and Mario, Malaya, Elliot and Ariel could be next. (We already lost Heather last week.) After an unfortunate run-in with one of the men who stole the CDC van containing the virus, Leanne gets exposed and joins her sick colleagues in the quarantined area. Jesse is so distraught, he can’t even make a joke.

The good news: A potential vaccine exists. It’s too risky to test on a child, so Leanne volunteers herself. After all, she’s got no one waiting for her at home, she points out. Jesse counters that she’s his family. Still, she goes through with the injection, not that it does much good as she’s coughing up blood.

Staring death in the face makes the doc reflective as she confides in Ethan that Ariel is sleeping on her sofa while there are two unused beds upstairs. “What the hell is wrong with me? Am I that afraid of those memories?” Leanne wonders. Ethan suggests that maybe replacing them with something new feels like a betrayal.

Speaking of Ariel, the young girl turns into a little rock star when she steps up to help Leanne intubate a patient. Sure, she’s crying and scared through the whole process, but she does it.

Code Black RecapMeanwhile, Will, Ethan and Angus discover that there’s a man inside the quarantined zone with the antibodies needed to save everyone. There’s no time to synthesize a vaccine, so they do a person-to-person blood transfusion, starting with Leanne. It’s just in the nick of time, too, because Elliot is hallucinating, and Mario and Malaya are about to collapse.

When Leanne wakes up, she receives some news: “We didn’t lose anyone else.” Phew!

And because there’s nothing like a near-death scare to bring out romantic declarations and big changes, Noa kisses Mario — “I’m glad you’re here… even if I did have to catch a deadly virus,” he says — while Leanne returns home to make breakfast and send Ariel, now sleeping upstairs, off to school. So it’s a surprisingly happy ending for all after an intense couple of episodes.

Code Black fans, what did you think of the Season 2 ender? Grade it via the poll below, then hit the comments to back up your pick!

1. First of all, I’m experiencing the lag of being international and hadn’t seen last week’s episode. I’m devastated that Heather is gone! (And, yes, I read the recap knowing there would be spoilers!)

Secondly, I hope so much this show is renewed. It’s so completely underrated in its brilliancy! <3

2. dan says:

I didn’t watch every episode this season, but I liked what I saw. Rob Lowe was a good addition to the cast. The show seemed more intense this year. I will be pleasantly surprised if CBS renews it for a third season. Tonight’s episode felt like it could be a series finale which I assume was intentional.

3. Lupe m. Ramirez says:

I luv this cast and all the story lines every week. Plus it makes me happy to have a show that I know is what happens sometimes in ER cause my daughter is a nurse. I am so proud of her and all the work in the ER late and long shifts. I can’t wait for it to come back ASAP please😘😊👍💚🙏🙏🙏

4. Wrstlgirl says:

What an amazing season!! Every episode brought it. Hope it comes back but if it doesn’t I’m happy with that ending. It all came together perfectly. On a side note…Leanne and Ariel, so friggin awesome!!!

5. ryterrytes says:

Nice wrap up and carry on in case the show is cancelled…..which I hope doesn’t happen. I’ve been watching since the premiere of season 1. I am quite enamored with the characters and love that Leanne Is finally working through her grief. Best show on the networks right now.

• Name says:

That was my thought. It was a nice conclusion if it doesn’t get renewed, but wasn’t so closed that a season 3 is out of the question.

6. jenfull3 says:

Please don’t cancel this show!! I love it!!! Gripping stories, awesome acting and complete entertainment. LOVE it!!

7. I absolutely LOVE this show…………. I was quite upset that Jillian Murray (“Heather”) died in Part 1 of the finale. I will be extremely upset if it does not return for another season.

8. dean says:

I’m glad that Ariel’s got a Daddy now, but she also really needs a Mama.

9. Walkie says:

They should call the show “Which doctor dies this week?” I don’t know how a show so relatively new could be out of ideas.

10. Larry Burick says:

Code Black is simply outstanding.. I am so upset that we might have seen the series finale, not just the season finale. The characters have heart, the acting is subperb and the script is brilliant. So many of us want more. Please.

11. Karen says:

Love, love Code Black. Please send it to its 3rd season. So much more storyline to develop. Love all these great actors. ♡♡♡

12. Teléfila says:

What a great finale, what a brilliant season. I really hope CBS renews the series because it is an amazing one which deserves much love that I think it has. Marcia Gay Harden was splendid on the episode.

13. Teresa Cunningham says:

Love this show! This show keeps you in suspense each week. My favorite show. It shows such compassion. Hope it’ll be renewed.

14. Tee says:

I love that this show is full of drama and suspense yet so much about being human and about human kindness. I certainly hope the season finale wasn’t the series finale! CBS please give us season 3.

15. This show has it all. It needs to be renewed by the network. Great cast of likeable characters. This makes TV viewing worth it.

16. GuessWhat says:

#RenewCodeBlack!

17. Theresa Beers says:

Love the finale and love code black! Getting so frustrated when I get into a show and then gets cancelled! Seems weird you say ratings are down but so many love show! Love the stories the cast and Rob is a great addition! Renee for another season!!!

18. susan vardaro says:

Just love the show! !especially Rob Lowe ,great characters all around, PLEASE Don’t c as cancel the show! !!!

19. Rosie Nivar says:

Please keep this series it is amazing good acting good storyline one of the best series around

20. martha oxenberg says:

Loved the show. Please return for a 3rd season

21. Elaine buckley says:

Ok what was with the different protection? Some were in total gear, some had a simple surgicle mask and some at no gear at all. Doesn’t follow infection control protocol at all. Surprised CDC had their name attached.

22. Chantal Cyr says:

I had pretty much given up on good TV until i saw this show! I literally wasn’t watching TV at all because nothing kept my interest more than one episode, until this show! It keeps you on the edge of you seat, it makes you cry happy and sad tears, it makes you mad at times and the cast is amazing and very believable. I sincerely hope there’s a lot more seasons coming and i will promote the show to anyone who will listen!

23. SueB says:

My favorite show. Please keep it going. I cried my eyes out on the last show while they played In The Arms Of the Angels. How fitting .

24. SueB says:

Love love the show. Season finale was a real tear jerker. Perfect song about angels ending this season. Will be ready for next season.

25. Alan says:

Totally awesome creative, production, and casting chemistry here in CBS’s Code Black can be shared with NBC’s This Is Us. I LOVE them both. This Is Us has already been given a renewal for seasons 2 and 3, so c’mon CBS – Please renew Code Black for, at least, a season 3 – a medical drama you can be incredibly proud of.

26. Marsha says:

This show is great!!! We DVR it if we can’t see it when it’s on! I hate that Heather died, but it just makes it realistic. We hope they renew it…how can they not? So sophisticated… You have to pay attention.

27. Mark hall says: