Help, I've Been Peak TV'd!
People Of Earth

Peak TV Treasure: People of Earth

peak-tv-bug-copyAre you overwhelmed by how much television is available right now? Is life getting in the way of keeping up with the shows you wanna try out? We feel your tube-related pain. Here’s a handy feature that’ll help you locate the hidden gems in this era of Peak TV.

PEOPLE OF EARTH

NETWORK | TBS

CREATED BY | David Jenkins

NUMBER OF EPISODES | 10

EPISODE LENGTH | 30 mins.

PREMISE | Acclaimed reporter Ozzie Graham (The Daily Show‘s Wyatt Cenac) relocates to a small town in upstate New York, where he intends to profile the members of StarCrossed, a support group for people who believe they’ve experienced alien encounters. And no one is more surprised than Ozzie when the group — filled with quirky outliers, played by the likes of Ana Gasteyer (Suburgatory) and Brian Huskey (Children’s Hospital) — helps him remember his own abduction. Oh, and did I mention that a trio of menacing-yet-endearing extraterrestrials is monitoring the humans’ every move, all the while crafting ill-conceived plots of their own? There’s a lot going on, and it’s all wonderful.

jeffWORTH YOUR TIME IF YOU ENJOY… | Ensemble comedies with offbeat characters, awkward humor and an unexpected amount of heart. People of Earth offers all three in spades, as it seamlessly bounces between one-on-one interviews with Ozzie, outrageous StarCrossed group meetings, and sporadic “workplace” scenarios with the aliens. (Side note: Those aliens, particularly the big-eyed and even bigger-headed Jeff [pictured here], could effortlessly carry their own spinoff. I promise you’ll grow to love them in no time.)

YOU SHOULD PROBABLY ALSO KNOW… | This show is as likely to make you laugh as it is to make you squirm. Certain alien scenes — particularly those related to Ozzie’s muddled past — are downright chilling. But like the talking deer in Ozzie’s visions keeps reminding him, “Don’t get weird.” Just go with it, and you’ll soon find yourself desensitized to the creepiness.

IS IT COMING BACK? | You know it! Though a premiere date for Season 2 has yet to be announced, the series was officially renewed — along with fellow freshman comedy Search Party — in December.

WHERE CAN I WATCH IT? | Select episodes (four or five at any given time) are available to stream on TBS’ site and On Demand. The entire season is available for purchase on iTunes.

Press PLAY on the video below for a taste of what People of Earth is all about, then hit the comments: Will you check in with the show?

1. Luis Roman says:

My wife and I binged the show when TBS re-aired all their new series during a “binge the shows” gimmick in December. We didn’t think a lot of it after the first episode, but since we’d recorded them all, we watched the second and we were hooked by the time it was over. The incredibly dry wit, the totally earnest performances from Wyatt Cenac, Ana Gasteyer and the rest of the cast make the show incredibly watchable. I can’t wait for Season 2!

2. Sheryl says:

My daughter and I watched this on a whim at Christmas, we loved it. Can’t wait for return.

3. webly3 says:

I was one of the few people that watched it when it was on, and it never disappointed! I’m so excited for next season.

4. Erica says:

Great show! I watched it over the holiday, when TBS was doing a marathon of their original shows. I can’t wait for Season 2

5. Novat says:

Another great pick! I love this column, but the only issue is, every time it’s something I’ve watched! Glad others are finding out about these hidden gems

6. ScottJ says:

Overwhelmed is one word for current show volumes. I used to give most new shows 3 or 4 episodes before I’d decide to drop them. Now they’re lucky to get 10 minutes, and even when I have been watching a show for a while if they do anything that annoys me they’re dropped.

I stalled on this one half way through episode 6. So I’m now reminded I must give it another go. Short runs and half hour episodes get a definite advantage over everything else.

7. Jane says:

I really likedthis show. It was wonderfully weird.

8. Jane says:

I really liked this show. It was wonderfully weird.

9. Lynnee says:

Crazy wonderful show

10. Juke says:

I LOVE this show. All ten episodes are still on my DVR and I’ve watched them like ten times each. (There’s a lot of detail to discover.) I’m not taking them off anytime soon. The characters are fascinating and the situations set up are just as entertaining. Some elements are silly and funny, but even those (like Jeff who seems at first like comic relief) have deeper moments, too. I cannot wait for it to come back, especially after the cliffhangers they set up. I need to know what’s going on on the ship, how Jonathan is doing, and what happened to Gerry. Oh, and what about Iceland? I need to know!

11. Cheryl says:

I started watching this show from the beginning, when I had to wait a whole week for the next episode. And it was worth the wait! I was never disappointed. People of Earth has exactly the kind of quirkiness I look for in a show . . . off-beat, intriguing and just plain fun. Another fun trip is Search Party, also on TBS.

12. Sheldon W. says:

Bravo! Great show to highlight!

People of Earth is one of favorite shows of the 2016 season for all the reasons you mentioned. Plus, Wyatt Cenac is so low-key most of the time that when Ozzie has a really overt reaction, there’s always a really good reason – and it makes the show just that bit more believable.

On the other hand, while I get why people like Search Party, it just didn’t have the same kind of resonance for me. It is very well done, though.

13. Bark Star says:

Its not for everyone. But it sure is special.

14. Julie says:

Thanks so much for these recommendations! I just binged the whole season and cannot wait for the next. What an original, funny, sweet show. A lovely gem that I wish more people knew about.

15. Don says:

Quirky, kind of a cross between Twin Peaks, Northern Exposure, and possibly a bit of Fargo mixed in. LYAO funny at times. Did I say Quirky?

16. Sharon Willow-Smith says:

I love love love People of Earth!!! & can’t wait for its return!!! So who that is involved with this show actually was abducted!? Fascinating thought provoking show!! Keep it coming!