Flash Recap Season 3 Iris Dies

The Flash Recap: West Whirled

This week on The Flash, the team raced to neutralize a truly degenerating metahuman, lest Iris meet her maker sooner than planned.

Concurrent with Barry coaching Wally to be a better speedster (which set up a fun side bet pitting Iris and Caitlin vs. H.R.), a new metahuman was discovered to be on the loose, using his touch to send bodies into a rapid process of decay. When it is further surmised that this “degenerate,” Clive Yorkin, is one of the metas born of Alchemy, Julian feels much guilt. Caitlin tries to assure her partner in autopsying that he needn’t take any blame, but that only pushes the new team member back into his petulant ways, sparking a squabble.

It’s deduced that Yorkin is targeting cops, but that won’t keep Joe from postponing a family dinner (at Jitters, really?) with his kids/”kids” and girlfriend Cecile and her visiting daughter. Joanie is at first a pit of a joyless pill, until Wally picks up on her superfandom over Kid Flash. When Yorkin shows at the coffee shop to target Joe, Kid Flash gets the chance to (temporarily) save the day, using Propeller Arms to blow away the baddie.

When Joe doesn’t make too much of the attempt on his life, Iris chides him — and then drops that truth bomb, revealing how Barry traveled to the future and saw her die at Savitar’s hand. Joe, while devastated, blows up at the team, especially Barry, for keeping him in the dark.

Later, Yorkin shows up at Barry and Iris’ place to apply his deadly touch to Joe’s daughter, with Kid Flash arriving just a millisecond too late to stop him. Back at S.T.A.R. Labs, the best “fix” the team can come up with is to have Caitlin use her icy power to freeze Iris’ contaminated arm, until they can find a cure. Doing so, however, puts Caitlin at risk of “losing control” and transitioning into Killer Frost — which she indeed does, until Julian pep talks her off the proverbial ledge. Wally feels to blame for not saving Iris from Yorkin, to which Barry counters that he needs to be a better, more inspiring teacher — as were the many mentors (half of them eeeevil) that he himself benefited from.

Cisco gets the idea to “vibe” the universe where Barry stayed put in Flashpoint, to get a bead on whom else Yorkin might go after. Once the snarky arresting officer is ID’d, Joe finds and loops her in, but she all but dismisses the life-saving gesture. That leaves Joe on a speeding train that Yorkin plans to have collide with a pile of debris. Barry is able to vibrate the entire train so fast that it phases through the blockade, but that taxes him so much that it is up to Wally to “phase” a drop of his speedster blood into the meta, this reversing the effect of his power, and it works.

It also conveeeeniently allows an antidote to be created from Yorkin’s blood, thus saving Iris. Back at their place, Barry expresses his hope that Iris feels safe. She notes that while she always felt like she never really got her share of the Flash pie, in the wake of their recent scare, she truly felt like the speedster rode to her rescue. “I love and trust you, Barry Allen, The Flash,” she avowed. “I love all of you, and I always will.”

With Barry and Iris back home, and Caitlin and Julian going out for (ahem) “drinks,” Wally is alone at the lab at episode’s end, when Jesse Quick bursts through a portal from Earth-Two to announce that her father has been abducted by Grodd — and taken to Gorilla City!

What did you think of the episode “Untouchable”?

1. Jim says:

Yeah, Barry. Vibrate the whole train rather than the little barrier it might hit, Barry. Good job, Barry.

• Darsan54 says:

That wasn’t a little barrier. Yorkin decayed an entire bridge.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

I thought he collapsed a structure (overpass?) so that the debris landed on tracks. “Easier” for Barry to vibrate one continuous train (at presumably the same speed, though there surely would be disturbances at the couplings) versus a pile of multiple smaller parts of rubble.

• Jimmy Trenton says:

Thank you! I cam here just to see if anyone else thought the same thing.

2. mia says:

Jesse! it’s about time!

• Lauren says:

Excited for her return, I can already tell we’re going to have the big speedster team with Savitar and it’s going to be so awesome!!!!

3. Max says:

I’m done with the Flash after this episode. It’s become the Save Iris show. It’s now off my DVR schedule. I might tune back in for the musical crossover episode with Supergirl, but I won’t be back to the Flash until Iris is gone.

4. Lauren says:

The episodes are getting more intense by the week. I love this story line so much I’m glad we are finally getting to see Barry mentor and gain new powers. His team ups with Kid Flash are always fun to watch, their banter is really good. As for Iris I am hoping that she really isnt dying, I’m not expecting her to but i know these shows and their need for shock value and fridging women to create “man pain” This new team is really starting to gel together everyone is getting moments to shine and contribute I hope this aspect isnt stunted by the writing team especially for Iris and her career. Love how they have handled Barry and Iris so far, we’ve gotten just the right dosage of them being couply imo. That still leaves us with the who will die question, but tbh I am hoping against hope this can be the season where no one dies. Basically the return from the winter hiatus has been a solid one so far with the visit to Gorilla City likely to continue that trend.

5. Gerald says:

Love the show, but HOW did Yorkin get from the train station to the bridge he collapsed so fast. Joe and the detective got on a speeding train and he got so far ahead he had time to collapse the bridge and Barry still had time to get the alert and save the train. Plus I have a hard time believing that Barry could Phase multiple cars of the train. The one he was one maybe, but not every car….
    Also I’m with Cecile. Kid Flash is the worst kind of superhero with the showboating. Joanie doesn’t know what she is talking about. Less Kid Flash the better.
    Gorilla Grodd next week!!!!!!! So Stoked.

• I thought the exact same thing when I saw Yorkin at the bridge, but I was totally into Barry phasing the train – that was awesome. I wouldn’t be upset at all if Kid Flash phased his way into another universe and stayed there. He is so annoying and petty, and it’s irritating that the group simply ignore it. The disappointed look on his face at dinner, when he expected Joe to choose made me want to slap him. I actually thought he was going to storm angrily out of the room when Joe talked about how much Iris meant to him after discovering she was going to be murdered. Otherwise, it was a fun episode.

6. Micalea says:

Loved Flash and Kid Flash working together was everything I didn’t realize I needed in my life…….I absolutely love cocky Wally. More Iris more flash family more glorious westallen (side note they are the cutest dc tv couple to ever cute) more more more

7. Alexis says:

I surprisingly enjoyed this episode. Everyone got a chance to shine. Candice, Grant and JLM continue to bring their best performances yet. I love the Flash/KidFlash dynamic, they’ve got some camaraderie and same time a healthy dose of rivalry. Happy Jessie’s back. Westallen continues to be the best relationship on TV, I don’t make the rules. #SorryNotSorry

8. abbidon says:

LOVE LOVE LOVE Iris and Barry! They are the best couple on tv for sure!

9. Jared Munson says:

I love the Flash connections…Alex Desert who guest starred was in the 90s series

10. Chloe says:

Seriously an amazing episode. I was happy to see “The Flash” doing some heavy lifting this episode. I was starting to feel like he was ONLY a teacher now. I also love the balance of friendship and rivalry The Flash and Kid Flash have. Really great.

11. Gift says:

fun episode, Berry nd Iris are always the best. They keep reminding me smallville ‘s Lois nd Clark. Everything is going well. it doesn’t matter what Kidflash do, he will never best Berry. Also he will certainly save the woman he loves.