Report: SNL's Weekend Update Getting Primetime Spinoff Next Season

Are Colin Jost and Michael Che ready for primetime?

NBC is mulling over a weekly, 30-minute version of Saturday Night Live‘s Weekend UpdatePolitico reports. The spinoff would likely air on Thursday nights, and debut in the fall.

Word of a potential offshoot comes as SNL ratings have surged in its current season, with viewership up a massive 22-percent in the wake of Donald Trump’s presidential candidacy and subsequent win. The uptick has no doubt been driven by Alec Baldwin’s headline-grabbing recurring portrayal of Trump. Melissa McCarthy also turned heads last weekend, making a surprise appearance as White House press secretary Sean Spicer.

This wouldn’t be the first time Update has aired in primetime. In October 2008, Seth Meyers and Amy Poehler presided over Saturday Night Live Weekend Update Thursday in the weeks leading up to the election between Barack Obama and John McCain. It returned for an additional six episodes in 2009, followed by a brief comeback in September 2012.

Last summer, Jost and Che took Weekend Update to the Republican and Democratic national conventions, with two, standalone editions airing on sister network MSNBC.

1. robert colontonio says:

i hope they get rid of Michael Che for that since he is atrocious.Most of his stuff is just anti-white reverse racism crap. Colin Jost is only slightly better.

2. Guy says:

Can they not and say they did?

3. Guy says:

Maybe if they use different anchors. Michael Che is the worst thing to happen to Weekend Update since Colin Quinn. He’s awful.

4. Billy Bob Johnson says:

They can’t be serious. Maybe they’ll find two people who can actually DO Weekend Update. Jost and Che are ALMOST as good as former host Colin Quinn.

5. LizWebberFan says:

Personally, I think weekend update is the current weakest segment of the show. It’s tough to get through as it is now. I rather see NBC give Alec Baldwin his own Trump spinoff series instead.

6. Jimmy says:

I love this idea, but they need new anchors. And can we please keep Leslie Jones and Pete Davidson away from WU?

7. Dave says:

Damn, I guess I’m the only one that thinks they’ve improved this season. I find WU hilarious. The dog joke got really funny once Colin started cracking up.

Oh, and I love Leslie and Pete on there as well. :D I actually wish they’d do more of those segments with Pete Davidson.

8. Kevin says:

Colin Jost and Michael Che makes Weekend Update fun again and they have been funny as ever for three straight years.

9. will drake says:

Weekend Update use to be good. Hope they don’t bring SNL cast members in to fill time like they do on Saturdays.

If there isn’t enough news to ridicule without having to do skits within skits then WU shouldn’t be a separate program.

This new program sounds good as long as it is Weekend Update and not a dumping spot for other cast members to go because they couldn’t be used anywhere else on SNL.

10. Luis Roman says:

Ten minutes a week is about right.

11. Jeffrey says:

they are both horrible!! get rid of them. .. dont give them another 30 mins. COME ON NBC!! You get rid of Tamrin and Al.. but keep these two morons!

12. DmCo says:

These are the worse Weekend Update anchors in 42 years. Get rid of them and bring Cecily Strong back fast

13. Steven says:

You want to do this right? Make it into new segments for a greatest-hits reunion tour. Put Tina Fey and Seth Meyers in charge of writing it, and have a rotating slate of hosts. Have a Jimmy-Tina episode. Have a Tina-Amy episode. Do like they did for the anniversary special and have an Amy-Tina-Jane Curtin episode, but this time remember to invite Cecily Strong. Have a Seth-Cecily episode, since that half-season remains criminally underrated, and anyone who can keep a straight face through her drunk Scottish fish impression is a dirty liar. But the rotating hosts would also allow her to appear as the Girl You Wish You Hadn’t Started a Conversation With at a Party.

Which means they can include a host of other guest characters or recurring bits. Drunk Uncle. Stefon. Opera Man. Pathological Liar Tommy Flanagan. Really?!? The Joke-Off. Do an Ackroyd/Curtin Point/Counterpoint. Heck, so long as somebody else remains over him in the writing staff, Jost (who has improved, but that ain’t saying much) can make an appearance specifically as a foil to Angela Merckel or Olga Povlotsky.

• LAwoman says:

I do like that idea of rotating the hosts. Seth may be too busy with his own show to appear often. I sure do miss Seth and Amy as WU hosts. Tina and Amy would be great. WU used to be my favorite part of SNL, but Jost and Che just don’t do it for me.

14. Tony says:

I’ve been watching SNL from the beginning and I’m really trying to give these guys a chance, but so far Michael Che is completely unwatchable and Colin isn’t that far behind. Michael Che’s jokes are so predictable. He’s a smart dude (I’ve seen his stand up), he relies to much on the racial punchline stuff , try thinking outside the sterotype box.
    I always thought WU was reserved for the smartest writers/writer in the room. Personally I’d love to see Sasheer Zamata and Kyle Mooney

15. Raftrap says:

Ok this is just unacceptable, Michael and Colin are without a doubt the worst Update anchors, and they get rewarded with a spinoff?

16. Janet Cooper says:

I used to watch SNL every week before they added these two as WU anchors. Stopped watching two years ago, glad I did. If NBC wants to continue putting mistakes on the air–now into prime time, have at it. I’ve about given up on their channel anyway.

17. Bwah says:

Maybe it’s a good thing these two might get a Thursday show. Maybe the ratings will finally be indicative as to how awful the duo are, Michael Che being dead in the eyes and awful at joke deliveries and Colin Jost transforming into a preachy-high horse human being shouting from inside his Brooklyn Bubble.

I miss Cecily Strong.

18. hipper says:

uh, really? i think jost tries too hard and che is so smug…

they chose the weakest WU combo in a decade to do this?

19. Jamie says:

After watching every episode since the 80s, I deleted SNL from my DVR recently. It’s gone from funny to downright hatefully mean. But this seems like a very temporary idea. For a segment that isn’t as funny as it used to be, the best jokes would be used on the weekly show and the SNL telecast would suffer. They should just expand Weekend Update to 30 minutes on SNL. The non-political sketches have been pretty dismal the past few seasons so there’s room. The show has become so biased and politicized, the NBC news division should take it over.