Post Mortems

Jane the Virgin Star Shares [Spoiler]'s Heartbreaking Final Farewell

The following story contains spoilers from Monday’s Jane the Virgin — proceed at your own peril

Keep those tissues handy — you’re not done weeping over Monday’s Jane the Virgin, which ended with the sudden death of Brett Dier’s Michael.

Following the episode’s conclusion on the West Coast, Dier’s leading lady Gina Rodriguez (who plays the now-widowed titular heroine) shared a never-before-seen video message Dier “left in my phone” the night his death scene was shot. As you can see below, the actor assumes the POV of his character in the homemade clip.

In a separate post, Rodriguez called Dier her “partner in artistic crime,” adding, “We did two-plus seasons together and I will never have the words to express how you changed my life. Thank you.”

Executive producer Jennie Urman, meanwhile, tells TVLine that fans have not seen the last of Dier. “There are definitely different ways that you could and will see him again,” she hinted. “Whether it’s in real-time or flashbacks, I can’t say.”

Urman nonetheless confirms, “[Michael] is dead, I will say that.”

1. Jenna says:

These actors are mixing real life and fiction. It’s not healthy.

• Susannah says:

Don’t agree. He’s helping Gina with getting into character filming Michael’s death scene, it was kind of him to do really.

• Daniel says:

Yeah… its sweet of him. Like REALLY sweet. They all cried buckets when they got the news Michael was being killed off… and then it happened. She has this from her friend, Brett… and she most likely uses this as a tool on set since hes since hes no longer physically there. Appreciate things for what they are and dont judge.

• Chance says:

And where is your psychology degree from Jenna?

2. N says:

You’ll be missed Michael. 😩😩.

3. Carmen says:

I’ll miss Michael but Jane and Michael had zero chemistry together. If I have to be honest i thought that hole happy marriage scenes were so fake . But I know he’ll b back it’s a telenovela . I have an idea how but I’m not saying.

• Rhonda says:

Carmen, you were DEFINITELY watching another show! Jane and Michael HAD and WILL ALWAYS have chemistry. You must not understand what “chemistry” is?!! Hopefully, you’ll have an opportunity to experience it some day.

• Sorry, I agree with Carmen. They had a friendship type of chemistry, a good comic partnership but it was certainly never passionate or sexy. They were a very cartoonish married couple – literally, at one point! I actually cringed every time Jane called him sexy! It just didn’t feel natural.

• dude says:

I think you’re confusing lack of conflict with lack of chemistry. Jane and Michael have always had insane chemistry. But the scenes where they’re just happy and nothing’s going wrong are boring because the root of drama is conflict and there was none in those scenes.

4. Kristina says:

Warning: don’t even hover over the url link on these stories because they will spoil the twist! Sigh.

5. Rhonda says:

BRING HIM BACK! He WAS JTV! Gina and Brett had and have incredibly chemistry, which you don’t find often, so PLEASE, bring him back!!!

6. Mangochic says:

*In tears*

7. Anai says:

I’m gonna miss you ,you got me crying so hard I am your biggest fan I’m gonna miss you so so so so so so so so so much 😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥. 😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥. 😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩. 😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😩😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥 😥

8. Sadiayah says:

I hated this couple. They had zero chemistry and even less passion. I’m definitely not going to miss him. I was act considering dumping the show because of them. Boring

9. robin slayton says:

I may have missed this, but do we know whether the show wrote him off or did the actor want to leave because of another project?

10. robin slayton says:

Meant to add, like many others, I’m so, so over the Sin Rostro story line! It’s frustratingly annoying at this point. They have more than enough story lines to keep this show moving and interesting at this point-especially, with Killing off Michael and the dizzying time travel/jump!