Spicer Reacts SNL McCarthy

Sean Spicer Wants Melissa McCarthy to 'Dial Back' SNL Impersonation

Melissa McCarthy earned rapturous praise over the weekend for her stinging impersonation of embattled White House press secretary Sean Spicer on Saturday Night Live, but what did Spicer himself think of the portrayal?

Donald Trump’s mouthpiece told Extra on Sunday that while he found the episode as a whole “funny,” he felt McCarthy “could dial back” some aspects of her performance. Specifically, he said the comedienne “needs to slow down on the gum chewing,” adding that there were “way too many pieces in there.”

In the 10-minute sketch, McCarthy played up Spicer’s tense relationship with the media during the first two weeks of Trump’s presidency by both physically and verbally assaulting members of the press (at one point turning the podium into a weapon) during a daily briefing.

Spicer told Extra that he first learned of the sketch on Sunday morning while leaving church when his phone started blowing up with texts, begging the obvious question: Was the mass at 1 am?!

What do you think of Spicer’s critique of McCarthy’s work? And are you hopeful that the Gilmore Girls vet will make her Spicer satire a semi-regular thing? Hit the comments!

1. Kevin says:

Really hope SNL should bring Melissa McCarthy back as host again.

2. Joey says:

If you don’t want comedians making fun of you, then don’t act like a joke (on a regular basis).

3. Gina says:

well since we’re requesting for things to be dialed back, I have a huge list for you and your boss, Seany.

• Annie Sisk says:

Bingo. Methinks Spicy doesn’t understand that this is satire, not a biopic. Maybe he needs a big boy nap.

• Angela says:

A-freaking-men. They want to dish their ridiculousness out? Fine. Then they can learn to take it in turn.

• S says:

His biggest “problem” with the sketch was the amount of gum being chewed. He said it was funny and made a joke about it. I’m sure he’s fully aware of what satire is, and he was good about it in his response. I don’t know how he could have handled that any better and people are still on him about it. Another non news story trying to make something out of nothing.

• Geo says:

Hey, I want an “upvote” button on this site so I can “upvote” Gina’s comment a million times!

4. Yoko says:

Leaving church my ass.

5. Douglas from Brazil says:

“Was the mass 1 am”? Really TV Line?

• Patrick says:

That skit was HUGE news, immediately after the show aired. He should have been getting texts IMMEDIATELY after it aired.

6. pickles says:

Jeez listen o what the man really said instead of believing a click bait headline.

7. Wrstlgirl says:

“needs to slow down on the gum chewing,” adding that there were “way too many pieces in there.” Don’t get me wrong, I don’t like the guy but are we sure he wasn’t trying to make a joke with this comment. Because, there were to many pieces in there, lol.

8. TJ says:

Seems to be he was trying to show some humor and be part of the joke. That is a much more adult response than badmouthing her and the show in a Twitter rant like someone else we all know….

9. herman1959 says:

This was the first Trump-related item that has made me laugh; SNL should bring Melissa back. Sean Spicer needs to dial things back, because every time he goes into one of his Trump explanations, he looks like he’s going to have a heart attack .

10. MiaB says:

SNL skits never live up to the hype. Until now. Seriously, I have tears.

11. Wendy says:

SNL please add Melissa’s Angry Spice to the recurring line up.

12. Salim says:

Mellisa did a bang of job. Go SNL!!
    Spicer upset because it’s so close to reality for him??

13. Tony Lang says:

Sean, she HAS to exaggerate. Do you have any idea how hard it is to lampoon someone who’s already a joke?!?

14. Kim R says:

I took his comment about dialing it back because she had way too many pieces of gum in there as a joke. I have to admit I was relieved that he took the joke. Frankly it is how the President should take it when lampooned. SNL lampoons. DJT needs to put his big pants on. :D

15. Marie58 says:

For pete’s sake! Spicer was NOT upset. He was laughing!

16. kmw says:

More thin skinned people in the White House. Can someone please give these people a sense of humor?

• ???? says:

Actually, he showed he did have a sense of humor and joked about it. Obviously, someone should give you some humor, so you can realize that fact. SMDH

17. Tim Devine says:

We need a skit with Melissia, Alex and Kate as the holy trinity of Spicer, Trump and Conway

18. Christina Shirley says:

I hope it becomes a regular bit….

• jp says:

Yep and I think they could develop a whole core group that make fun of these DC idiots for the next 4 years until they are gone.

19. Bluegal says:

I want Spicer to dial back and disappear.

He can take Trump, Pence, Ryan, Bannon, and Preibus with him.

20. Bella says:

Are you going to be posting something political every day, Michael? It’s getting tiresome. I come to this site to be entertained.

• TV Gord says:

Come on, part of that freak show in Washington is still a teeny bit entertaining, in a we’re-all-doomed kind of way. :-D

• Dysturbed says:

The obvious solution is to read the articles that serve the purpose of entertaining you and take the easy step of ignoring the ones that don’t. You can’t ignore the headlines but you can of course avoid the content.

21. westwingwolf says:

I think he’s trying to find the line between “I can take a joke and laugh at myself” and “I can’t appear to be too okay with it or else I make it look it like Trump is even more unreasonable for not taking a joke well.” The more he has to defend Trump’s crazy antics and need to be popular, the more he’ll become as much of a joke as Trump.

22. Geo says:

Considering that this is the Trump administration I guess we can consider it lucky that Sean Spicer didn’t just deny that there even WAS a Melissa McCarthy skit. “Melissa McCarthy skit? What Melissa McCarthy skit?!!! The media is coming up with a FAKE skit! Any Melissa McCarthy skit that’s in any way negative about Donald Trump is a FAKE skit! SAD!!!!

23. popeye013 says:

I cannot stop watching it, the more i watch, the funnier it gets.
    Pure genius and MMc delivers it beautifully!

24. DarkDefender says:

Also –> mad props to whoever was playing the Bannon skeletor/grim reaper.

25. Steeler says:

a) it wasn’t that great, Kirsten Stewart was better, stop fawning over McCarthy, she sucks.
    b) how stupid do you have to be to respond to a f+cking comedy show? Donald Trump level stupid. seriously, just shut up. you will only look worse and you’re already a joke spokesman for a joke of a president.

26. Fane says:

hopefully “dial back” means to never do it again. it was terrible. Melissa McCarthy is so overrated. the Trump/Conway stuff is great, Spicer not so much.

27. Verity says:

This is why I call him Whiny Spicer! What a crybaby!

28. jp says:

Hey Sean – you and your head cheeto probably don’t realize it but we have freedom of speech and you and he are more than fair game with all your antics!