Hamilton Cast America The Beautiful

Hamilton Cast Rocks Super Bowl With 'Sisterhood': Watch and Weigh In

Last year, the Super Bowl gave us Beyoncé. This year, it gave us Broadway’s version of Destiny’s Child.

Renee Elise Goldsberry, Jasmine Cephas Jones and Phillipa Soo — the actresses who originated the roles of Angelica, Eliza and Peggy Schuyler in the hit musical Hamilton — were reunited Sunday in Houston during Fox’s live Super Bowl pregame show for a glorious performance of “America the Beautiful.”

With tight harmonies and soaring vocals, Hamilton’s holy trinity served up a solid tribute to the US of A — not that we expected anything less. With these Broadway stars at the mic, this performance was a guaranteed slam dunk from the start. (That’s a football term, right?)

What was a surprise, however, was the ladies’ addition of “sisterhood” to the lyrics. (No complaints here!)

Watch the performance below — or click here to watch on YouTube — then grade it and drop a comment with more of your thoughts.

1. mat cottin says:

noone gunna bring up how they added in “sisterhood” ?? since its for equality I bet you its off limits, pathetic, no one respects traditions anymore , shouldn’t have added sisterhood!!

2. CourtTV says:

Loved that sisterhood was added!!

3. Elizabeth says:

The entire pregame, from the spoken commentary before the “Ragged Old Flag” piece (and then the piece itself) to these wonderful ladies speaking for all who the stars and stripes were intended to represent, was a magical ride. I was already having a good day as an Atlanta-based (and married), New England-raised sports fan, but this is spectacular.

4. Mary says:

These women are magic! I could listen to them sing all day. Thanks for adding sisterhood- women work and pay taxes too. It would be so nice if someday we “crowned thy good with humanhood” but obviously some males cannot admit that women are large contributors on so many levels.

5. Mike P says:

Hi, Hamilton cast? Yes, I’m calling to tell you that your 15 minutes is officially now over. Enjoy remaining mediocre and unknown for the rest of your days.

• MLD says:

I’ve seen Hamilton and it was hardly mediocre in any way. May the talented, diverse cast go on to great things including the Schuyler Sisters actresses who have already booked other gigs…why so threatened?

• T. Cornelius says:

I enjoy hearing these 3 ladies perform anywhere! Outstanding, tight harmonies, and they are all scholars of American history as well as well-disciplined musicians. All the best to each of them, and I am glad they were able to share with us today!

• Tai says:

Except almost all of the original cast have major projects coming out this year that will keep them well known for awhile. The creator was just nominated for an Oscar. Sorry that you’re offended by women being included in America the Beautiful but the cast isn’t going away just because you’re angry about either women not staying in their lane or women of color singing… I actually don’t know what you’re upset about to be honest. Oh well.

6. AnonTVAddict says:

YEEEESSSS!!! These 3 need to be brought back next year to sing the National Anthem. All you haters on here are just jealous you can’t sing like them! :-) Congrats to. Phillipa, Jasmine, & Renee!

7. spdavid says:

The Hamilton women do not know the correct definition of the word “brotherhood”

• David says:

Exactly. Either sing the songs as written or don’t sing them. Let’s change and every song to represent everyone. Instead of I’m just a girl, let’s do I’m just a boy or I’m just a trans, or I’m just a gender neutral person. Instead of girls just wanna have fun, let’s do the same thing, or let’s change bad boy bad boys what ya gonna do to bad girls. I’m sorry the PC crap is divisive. I get empowerment and all that, but the terms mankind, brotherhood, are by definition all inclusive to begin with. If you want to change a song fine, make it an all inclusive word. For example the end of star trek changed from where no man has gone before to where no ONE has gone before. They didn’t change it to where no man or woman has gone before. If you’re going to change it then change it like that, not to just change whatever lyrics you want to insert your selves in there.

• Joey says:

Actually there are several definitions of “brotherhood”, and while I take your point that more than one of the definitions refer to people of all genders, other multiple definitions refer to men or males exclusively.

8. Brigid says:

Loved it, very cute touch with the sisterhood.

9. Mary says:

I don’t mind the addition of sisterhood, I just didn’t care for the arrangement as a whole.