Best Lois Lane

Lois Lane Through the Years: Who's Your Favorite 'Super' Reporter?

Ladies and gentlemen, presenting Glenn Quagmire’s dream: eight Loises.

Frankly, Team TVLine has had Lois Lane on the brain all week, ever since it was announced that Teri Hatcher — who played the title role on ABC’s Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman from 1993 to 1997 — will be joining The CW’s Supergirl for a multi-episode arc later this season.

And executive producer Andrew Kreisberg’s statement, in which he declared Hatcher his “all-time favorite Lois Lane,” really got us thinking: Who’s our favorite?

There’s no shortage of options, from the first women to portray Lois on TV — Phyllis Coates (Season 1) and Noel Neill (Seasons 2–6) on the syndicated Adventures of Superman — to Amy Adams, the most recent actress to assume the role on the big screen. (That’s right, TVLine readers, we’re recognizing the existence of movies. But don’t expect us to make a habit of it, OK?)

Browse our gallery of Lois Lanes through the years — you can click here for direct access — then vote for your all-time favorite below.

1. Manuela says:

It’ll always be Teri Hatcher.

• Shazay says:

I like Amy Adams, but I wish they’d darkened her hair a bit. She’s a strong Lois, and I would have liked her better if she fit the comics version of Lois, Margot and Teri were perfect and looked like 70s/80s comics Lois, and then 90s Lois was more of a lighter brown, and Erica was an awesome Lois too. Kate Bosworth was an ABYSMAL. Lois with a light brown perm and horrifying clothes….and a SON? Superman Returns never happened.

• Sun says:

Agree about Amy Adams darkening her hair, even a little bit. I wish she had offered just like Scarlett Johansson did when she auditioned to be an Avenger.
        And totally agree, Erica is an awesome Lois Lane!

2. Imzadi says:

I had a girl crush on Teri Hatcher’s Lois Lane. I really wanted to be like her and date Dean Cain’s Clark Kent. Later I learned to love Erica Durances version. Both Lois Lane had some serious spunk but were also very vulnerable and I missed that in the the screen versions from the last movies. Kate Bosworth was really forgettable. I like Amy Adams, but her Lois Lane could have been anybody. I didn’t see anything I loved about Lois Lane portrayed by Teri Hatcher or Erica Durance.

3. TV Fanatic says:

Eric Durance will always be Lois Lane to me!

4. K says:

Erica followed by Teri. Loved both performances.

5. Pedro says:

Terri is a close second, but Erica Durance owned it on so many levels.

6. Me says:

Terri Hatcher all the way! She was the perfect Lois Lane during the first two seasons of the show, before it started declining.

• Imzadi says:

Don’t remind me, frog eating clones. I remember seeing the season two finale and what came after that. Strangley it went all downhill after Teri changed her hairstyle. I loved her season 2 hair.

7. Milena says:

#alwaysholdontosmallville

• Chris says:

I’m still a little bitter that Supergirl and their version of Superman parade around in their costumes while the Smallville viewers got CGI body shots from a hundred miles away and no filming below Tom Welling’s chin. I only hopped on the show in Season 8 (and caught up) so I always felt bad for the Day one watchers who stuck with it until the end just for the reveal. Still miss the show though.

• Cat says:

I remember reading somewhere the Tom only signed on with the agreement that he would never have to wear the suit.

• They did that because they didn’t have copyrights to the actually Superman character as it would be super expensive. That’s why it was a show centering on Clark Kent, that’s why the show was called “Smallville”, why Tom never dawn the suit, or is never really referred to as Superman, they legally couldn’t.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Incorrect. It was due to DC Entertainment’s film division wanting to avoid confusion and dilution of the value of its own Superman product. (To put it simply, though it was a far more complex arrangement than that, the exact details of which the world may never know.)

• AnnieM says:

Myself, I’ve always wondered how the rumor about Tom Welling ‘refusing’ to wear the suit ever got started. It makes no sense. At the time, he was an unknown actor; how could anyone believe he’d have the power to make a stipulation like that?

8. Roger Joseph Buchana says:

Amy Adams hands down, she got the most accomplished out of anyone in the movies. TV wise, toss-up between Teri and Erica.

9. Vannesa Szeto says:

Erica Durante
    Teri Hatcher
    Amy Adam
    Margot Kidder

10. ChrisGa says:

Favorite–Erica Durance by a mile.
    Least Favorite–Kate Bosworth by a HUNDRED miles.

• Shona says:

I think that was the first time I felt bad for an actress in a movie

• Sun says:

LOL!
      But sooo true!

• canadian ninja says:

I actually think as far as the tough-as-nails reporter angle goes Bosworth was better than anyone but Durance.
      She was being called the worst Lois before anyone even saw the movie whereas people give Adams too much credit because of her body of work not her performance as Lois. Durance all the way though.

11. Shona says:

I grew up in the 80’s, so Margot Kidder was always Lois Lane to me. I HATED Erica Durance at first, but once she joined the cast full time she grew on me until she was just about my favorite part of Smallville. I’m curious though, I wonder how many people pick the first Lois Lane they really saw? I picked Erica because she’s my favorite, but I still picture Margot Kidder first when I hear Lois Lane.

• wakey says:

I think the problem with Erica Durances Lois early on was the problem Smallville had while Miller and Gough were running it and that’s its fear of committing to the comic book, they would use comic book people and elements but really no more in name. When they left it seemed a show more eager to pull from the comics and that improved many areas but Lois was perhaps the part it improved the most

• Sun says:

I didn’t pick Erica bcoz she was my first Lois.

it’s ED’s Lois bcoz she’s the best!

12. Jared says:

Amy Adams and Kate Bosworth😂😂😂 I forgot they even played Lois Lane.

13. Wordsmith says:

I’m a child of the 90s, so Dana Delany will always be my Lois in the same way that Mark Hamill will always be my Joker. There are any other fine versions, but that’s the one that’ll stick for me.

14. peterwdawson says:

Dana Delany or Margot Kidder.

15. Asia says:

Terri Hatcher no contest.

16. n says:

Noel Neill always will be Lois Lane for me. She’s the physical template for the looks of all the other Loises, and she presented a strong, smart, vigorous female presence in a male-dominated show and era.

• grys03 says:

Same. Noel & Phyllis both managed to portray a strong, inquisitive Lois in an era when female actresses were only there for rescuing or adornments.
      But in modern times Teri carried it off season after season & built upon the previous Lois.

17. critic says:

They made Margot Kidder smoke cigarettes throughout the first Superman movie, even though Lois in the comics never smoked. The second one was even worse in this regard, with blatant product placement for marlboro.

18. Malie Bingham says:

Erica Durance is the best Lois Lane period.

19. Pat says:

I grew up with Superman in the 1950’s so Noel Neill has my vote. I have seen all the others play Lois and they were all fantastic but my brain always sees Noel as the original Lois Lane, for me.

20. Mare says:

I have to go with my girl Erica Durance. Her Lois shines above all others to me! But Amy Adams is a close second!

21. Thea says:

Erica, then Margot, then Terri. Bosworth shouldn’t even be on the list, honestly. She played a woman named Lois Lane in Returns, but she wasn’t at all recognizable as the character I know and love.

22. Diego says:

Erica Durance for sure! But I feel like Dana Delaney needs some love. She did a fantastic job voicing Lois!

23. Billie says:

It’s all about generations, evidently. Margot Kidder for me. New image of Lois (at the time). Great love for Noel Neill and Phyllis Coates from childhood. Durance is a generational choice. Probably most who choose her never saw Neill or Coates.

24. JC1 says:

Teri Hatcher will always be my Lois. Lois & Clark was my introduction to the whole world of comics, although I admit, as another commenter mentioned, they kind of went off the rails after the second season.
    Dana Delaney is a very very close second. I was only recently introduced to the DC Animated Universe, and I love it!
    Erica Durance is third. I thought she was great casting for Lois, and that she and Tom Welling had great chemistry.

25. Billy Bob Johnson says:

Sorry, but Noel Neill is the template for all subsequent Lois Lanes.

26. Raeven says:

Having seen all eight of these actresses play Lois Lane – I believe Margot Kidder was the first incarnation I saw – Erica Durance is definitely my favorite, followed by Teri Hatcher. In my mind, Amy Adams and Kate Bosworth were never Lois Lane in any way, shape, or form.

27. Dominique says:

teri hatcher will always be special cause she was my first lois, growing up with the new adventures of superman. but erica durance did something with that character that i haven’t seen any of the other actresses do yet. she is the perfect lois for me.
    i’m not sure how others feel about her, but despite liking amy adams a lot, i think she’s a terrible lois. i think it mostly has something to do with the scripts, because they just don’t really write her as a savvy, snarky reporter. she doesn’t stand out.

28. Kevin says:

Two in my opinion – Erica Durance and Amy Adams

29. Ash says:

Teri Hatcher followed by Kidder. Not a fan of Durance or Adams portrayals of Lois.

30. Carrie says:

Erica Durance will always be my favorite, followed by Margot Kidder. Amy Adams and Kate Bosworth are by far the worst.

31. PatriciaLee says:

Oooops. I wanted Noel Neill and accidentally voted for Phyllis. Of course, they both fit my likes. I like that she was just a professional, doing a job, and developing friendships with her co-workers. She was the inspiration for 50’s kids to join the workforce as a professional, as an efficient worker, a craftswoman developing her talents and work history. not a sex symbol and/or object. We didn’t tolerate or stick around for the bullying that could be the norm in some work environments. She had given us an example of what we were entitled to.

32. Jess says:

LOL I love the Family Guy reference.

33. Gift says:

Erica Durance is the best Lois lane ever! she didn’t only make the best, she made superman great (Tom Welling). I always turn up the TV just to watch smallville so I could see them. she never waited around for superman to save her rather she would try to save him instead.

• Thithya says:

That’s way I loved her Lois Lane. She could always stand up for herself while the others always needed to be saved.

• Sun says:

Agree with you both.
        I love how ED portrayed Lois!
        She’s the best!
        SV’s Lois & Clark are partners.
        Best CLois ever!

34. AnonTVAddict says:

Without seeing Phyllis or Noel’s interpretations of Lois, it’s a toss up between Teri and Erica. Each actress had their strengths and weaknesses so I cannot, like many readers, choose between the two. Buuuuut, now that we know she exsists in the Arrowverse, who will they eventually cast to play her? She has to make an appearance eventually, right?

35. lordofluck says:

Dana Delany for me I grew up on the animated universe with Margot Kidder and Erica Durance as honourable mentions.

36. trace says:

Teri Hatcher will always be Lois Lane to me. Fantastic actress with the perfect mix of beautiful, reckless in pursuit of justice, spunky, snarky, smart, tough as nails exterior… all to cover a very vulnerable, soft heart. The girl who fell hard for Superman, only to realize it was her best friend and partner who’d always held her heart. I’ve always been a Superman fan – enjoyed both the comics and movies – but can you tell that it was Lois & Clark that really made its mark on me? Dean Cain’s Clark Kent and Teri’s Lois were magic together.

37. Kasey Minnis says:

Umm… Not to be punctilious, but if you are including animated versions you are wrong about what actress first played the character. That’d be Joan Alexander in the original 1940s cartoons (and on the radio).

38. Jose Ortega says:

The other Lois Lanes are OK but none of them were able to scream as good as Phyllis Coates. I will always remember her for Superman and the Mole Men.

39. Cat says:

Teri and Erica will always be my equal favourites but I have to point out that if you are using cartoon voices, several other actresses including Anne Heche have also portrayed Lois in the cartoon movies.

40. Butch says:

I think Margot Kidder was the template for all Lois’s who followed. As a child I preferred Noel Neill to Phyllis Coates as Phyllis seemed mean to Clark. Later I thought Phyllis a stronger more true to the 1940’s comics Lois and therefore more preferable.

41. LEP says:

Hard to say. But I am going with Hatcher. One thing about Amy though and this version of Superman, is she knows who Clark is out of the box. I like that a lot. Don’t insult us that the person closest to him can’t figure that out.

42. No competition. Erica Durance FTW!

43. chuckiechk says:

the top 3 IMO are Teri Hatcher, Erica Durance and for voice actor Dana Delany

44. Andrew says:

Teri Hatcher was the first version I was exposed to, but Erica Durance is/was my favorite.

45. Cate says:

Movies – has to be Margot Kidder who had great chemistry with Reeve and was nicely snarky. Teri Hatcher was my first tv Lois and that was one of my favourite shows. Hatcher was maddening at times but had some spunk. However, for me Erica Durance was my choice. I know most people liked Smallville for Clark and Lex, but for me the show picked up when Lois joined, (Always detested Lana!) Durance was sexy and squeezed into bikini and sexy costumes rather too often, but she also got to be tough and vulnerable too. She acted rings around wooden Tom Welling!
    I’m not.a huge comic book fan but Lois has always been my favourite comic book female. She is stong and resourceful, despite being saved by Superman quite a lot! Kate Bosworth was by far the worst but then again, that film was terrible. She had zero spark and was not recognisably Lois Lane at all. Love Amy Adams but her Lois hasn’t really had much to do either. Superman II was probably the last good Superman movie..!

46. Liz says:

Teri Hatcher! Who else?

47. ndixit says:

Definitely Teri followed by Erica. Amy is the best actress to play the character but the writer for the character is pretty bland. Poor Bosworth was ridiculously miscast.

48. lrdslvrhnd says:

Tough choice between Teri Hatcher & Dana Delaney. But I think it ultimately boils down to:
    1) Teri Hatcher
    2) Dana Delaney (whose version claimed to really need to stop wearing (short pleated) skirts, but thankfully never did.)
    3) Erica Durance
    4) Amy Adams (haven’t seen her, but c’mon. It’s Amy Adams.)
    5) Margot Kidder (I just never really liked her as Lois for some reason)
    6) Noel Neill (again, haven’t seen her, but love the name!)
    7) Phyllis Coates (another one I haven’t seen, but she has to go somewhere, right?)
    8-17) 10 random people including other voice actresses and cosplayers
    18) Kate Bosworth. And I’m honestly not sure how much of this position is her, and how much is my total antipathy for Superman Returns.

49. Gary Ormsbee says:

Noel Neil is best because she played Lois in the 2 Superman serials and the Adventures of Superman!
    Great performances!!
    She was strong , but likable, tough but feminine. The story was everything!! And Superman was there to save her when her journalistic curiosity got the best of her . Met her and got to know her as a sweet lady in later Years.