Supernatural Recap

Supernatural Recap: The Angel Squad

The unthinkable happened on Thursday night’s Supernatural: Dean gave Cas the silent treatment.

It’s weird to see the two friends on the outs following last week’s killer twist, in which Cas saved the Winchesters’ lives. Sure, Dean is grateful that Cas cares about them, but he’s worried about the cosmic consequences of breaking the death pact with Billie the reaper. So when the hunter isn’t stewing, he’s snarking about agreeing to help Cas’ angel buddies in order to make sure he doesn’t do anything else stupid.

That brings us to Castiel’s squad: the recently killed Benjamin, Mirabel and Ishim, who doesn’t exactly greet Cas with open arms. In fact, he makes it perfectly clear that he thinks Cas has gotten soft. And before he got cozy with humans, he left his battalion wingless to command his own flight. You know, the one with Uriel and Balthazar, who died.

“Is he a hero? Is he a spanner in the works? I don’t know,” Ishim muses.

Supernatural RecapFor the time being, those issues are put aside seeing as how the original gang is being hunted by Lily Sunder (guest star Alicia Witt). Angels didn’t come to Earth before the apocalypse, except in the rare case of 1901, Cas explains to Dean and Sam. He and his brethren visited because one of their own had married a human (aka Lily) and had a nephilim daughter with her. While Cas killed their angel brother for breaking their most sacred oath, Ishim took care of the half-angel/half-human offspring, who grow into power and can destroy entire worlds. But he let Lily live, which was a big mistake on his part. She brushed up on her angel magic and became almost immortal. Lily’s survival all these years later also means she can tell Dean and Sam the ugly truth: her daughter was human, and Ishim was basically a jilted lover/stalker. She broke his heart, and so he broke hers by murdering her child.

Now that he’s aware of his brother’s betrayal, Cas comes to Lily’s rescue and kills Ishim. “If you leave here, and you find that you can’t forgive me, I’ll be waiting,” he tells Lily before she takes off.

Back at the Men of Letters bunker, Dean and Sam try to reassure their friend that he’s changed for the better. Perhaps the biggest evidence of that comes from Cas, himself, when he expresses doubts about his ability to kill Lucifer’s child, which will be like a nephilim on steroids. “There was a time when I wouldn’t have hesitated, but now I don’t know,” he admits.

Supernatural fans, was the glimpse into Cas’ past revealing? And what flavor pie do you think Dean bought with Ishim’s cash? Hit the comments!

1. Remy says:

Is Ishim played by the same actor who portrayed Krissy Chamber’s hunter dad years ago on Supernatural?

2. orchardist says:

Great episode. I loved the Team Free Will family dynamic.

3. Fred says:

This episode did Castiel no favors. While he didn’t know Lily’s daughter was human, he still knew that she was only a child and he was okay with her being killed. :(

• Charley says:

I think the point went over your head. It was meant to show how much Cas has changed over the years – he used to follow orders and he even said in the ep that now he didn’t know what he would do. It did a great job of illustrating just how human and emotional the Winchesters have made him – so yeah, it did him a lot of favors. That was WAY in the past and juxtaposed the Cas we know now who cares deeply and wouldn’t make the same call now.

• Gwen says:

um.. yeah, it did? It proved that the Castiel from years ago, the one who followed orders like a good little angel, isn’t our Cas. our Castiel does what is right, he thinks about things, and he’s devoted to his human family fully now.

4. LD says:

Well, that was the BEST episode of the season so far! I don’t even know where to start, so I’ll keep it brief. This episode will easily be in my top ten for the amazing character insight we got, a compelling “villain”, and a unified family front of Dean, Sam, and Cas. I love how the episode gave us more wonderful depth of character and backstory for Cas, while interweaving the current plotline with the death of Billie and the rest of the Winchester drama. I love that Dean started off grumpy with Cas for his sacrifice from last week, but basically both brothers devolved into “well, WE can be grumpy, but if you’re mean to our angel, we’ll fight you.”

I really loved the plot with Lily, the old battalion of angels, and the emotional background to her story. Alicia Witt was a wonderful guest star and her scene with Sam was wonderful. And now I’m really interested to see what happens with the repercussions after killing Billie, but I’m 187% confident that Dean, Sam, and Cas will always protect each other. Always.

Dean, Sam, and Cas were all SO good in this ep – so human, so familial, definitely the unified team free will I know and love. THIS is why I watch SPN. This is everything I love about Supernatural, rolled into one wonderful perfect episode. Excellent delivery from one of the new writers! This was just so, so good. My roommate and I watched it again as soon as we were done.

Some favorite quotes that bear repeating:

“Cas is our family, so we can’t let you hurt him.”

“My friendship with Sam and Dean has made me stronger.”

“Cas and I might not agree all the time, but at least he knows who his real friends are.”

5. Charley says:

Brilliant episode, reminded me of why I love this show so much.

6. Gwen says:

Wow – strongest episode all season, if you ask me. It had so many wonderful character moments!

7. Kepler says:

What a GREAT episode. More insight to Cas is always a plus in my book, as is any moments in which Sam and Dean reaffirm that Cas is their family, but this episode was just great all around, I thought. It was funny (watching Dean and Cas bicker in the car had my whole family rolling), the storyline was interesting without getting bogged down in mythology. Just, I LOVED this episode. My favorite this season, and there have been some good ones.

8. PJ says:

This was one of the worst episodes of the season. I liked Lily and I liked seeing Ishim call Cass out on his crap, but that’s about it.

9. jair95 says:

Dreadful. Horrible dialogue, terrible continuity and worst of all, boring. Blah.

10. AH says:

So I admit I’m not a walking Supernatural encyclopedia, but I thought the angels in this ep said they can’t go home, and can’t teleport, after the whole thing with Cas/Metatron. But my memory was that heaven has now reopened – and that angels can go back – and the angels have their powers back?