Throwback Thursday

Smallville's Chloe Kicks Black Canary's Butt, Reunites With Green Arrow

Six years ago this Friday, Allison Mack returned to Smallville for the superhero series’ final stretch — and boy, did she come back with a bang. Just ask Black Canary!

Having last been seen in the Season 10 premiere, in which she mysteriously gave herself over to the Suicide Squad and subsequently disappeared, Chloe resurfaced in a most unexpected way, as an avatar in the virtual realities that the nefarious VRA (Vigilante Registration Act) had secretly forced upon Clark Kent aka The Blur (ugh), Lois Lane, Oliver Queen/Green Arrow and Dinah Lance/Black Canary.

In the course of her bid to convince Oliver & Co. that what they were experiencing wasn’t real, Chloe at one point was forced to face off against Dinah (played by Alaina Huffman). Revisit that unexpected clash below, as Chloe rocks a white pantsuit and Matrix-style moves:

smallville-black-canary

Black Canary (at times)

Even once all of her friends were unplugged from their fake realities, Chloe still had other business to attend to — explaining her disappearing act, and alliance with Rick Flag’s Suicide Squad, to true love Oliver. Previewing that awaited reunion, Justin Hartley told me at the time, “They’re going to get together and talk about what happened, why she left. They’ll try to patch things up.”

To that end, Oliver rightly gave Chloe a hard time, saying, “I just stopped looking for you,” figuring that is what she wanted. When Chloe tried to explain how the Doctor Fate helmet guided her away from her friends, Oliver countered, “Did the helmet say anything about how I’d be sitting here alone, listening to old voice mails just to hear your voice…? Or that I’d be scanning every face on the subway in hopes I’d come across your smile — never to find it?”

Chloe explained that if she had attempted a proper goodbye, if she had so much as brushed his cheek, “There’s no way I’d walk out that front door. And there hasn’t been a day that I haven’t dreamed about when I would walk through it again.”

“Are you sticking around, for a while?” Oliver dared to wonder. “Yeah…,” Chloe answered. And after a beat, he smiled and said, “Good.”

As for whether Smallville would fly in the face of canon and in the very end pair Green Arrow not with Black Canary but the blonde computer whiz, Hartley told TVLine, “Hopefully there will be a happy ending [for Oliver and Chloe]. I don’t know that there will be, but… I like them together, so hopefully they end up together.”

Spoiler alert: They did.

1. edda says:

my favorite green arrow ship #chlollie i hoped arrow does the same with olicity but it’s arrow they ruined everything

2. Carla Krae says:

Warm fuzzies in my retired shipper heart.

3. Andy says:

Doesn’t Chloe explain to their son that he went back to Dinah in the series-ending flashforward?

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Gosh, did she? My brain ain’t what it used to be. Cuing up Hulu…. BRB!

• clarice83 says:

Maybe I had a headache and was forgotten, but Chloe and Oliver ended up together and there was never Oliver and Dinah in Smallville.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

I just rewatched final act, Chloe’s only bedtime story was about Clark becoming Superman — and then her son eyeballed a nearby bow-and-arrow set….

• Joe says:

The season 11 Comics shown them together…they are cannon, written by Bryan Miller…

• Pamela says:

No that was never mentioned, but you don’t see Oliver in Chloe’s scenes with their child. They could still be together or be divorced, I’m guessing the writers did it that way so that it would be suitable for canon as well as the smallville universe, it’s up to you to decide if they were still together or not.

• Dominique says:

i could be wrong about this cause it’s been a few years, but i remember DC giving permission for chloe and oliver to end up together, but not to show their actual wedding, or them and their son together. it’s why they did that last scene with their son looking at a set of bow and arrows to imply that he is indeed oliver’s son, without verbally confirming it.

• clarice83 says:

Exactly, and in a subtle way they showed that Chloe had the wedding ring on her finger.

• Joe says:

They actually confirm it in the season 11 Comics, when they show her pregnant…the season 11 Comics are a cannon continuation of smallville so…

• MaGa says:

In all fairness the finale was like 7 years in the future, they are together in season 11 and she is pregnant, nobody if discussing that, it its up to interpretation if they are together in the future Finale showed

• MaGa says:

I do remember an article, with Justin Hartley (don’t know of it was here or TV Guide) and he did say (regarding Chloe /Oliver or Oliver/Dinah) that they ended in a way it was up to viewers interpretation that’s why Oliver is not in the scene. You could think they end up together, or they are separated but Chloe is married again etc…

Gosh I remember this as it was yesterday, I miss Smallville so much

4. Jason says:

Somebody please get Allison Mack back on our TV screens. It’s been way too long since she was a regular part of the television landscape. The last thing I saw her on was a one off guest shot on The Following about two years ago. I remember thinking at the time, it was a waste not to bring her on for something recurring. She could have been the lead on her own show and now we hardly see her.

• Azerty says:

She should be on This is us with Justin Hartley, even for a guest star role.

• sarah t says:

I actually thought that was this article was about when I first clicked on it, that she would have a guest spot on This Is Us because #perf

• Wordsmith says:

Just imagine if it had been her behind the door when Kevin went to see his ex.
        To be clear, I love Alexandra Breckenridge and love that she’s on the show, but if they had cast Allison as Sophie, I might have died.

• clarice83 says:

I also wonder the same thing, a talented actress like her away from the TV for so long is sacrilege.

• Lex says:

As the rare person who likes Chloe *and* Felicity, having Allison show up as Felicity’s hacker Yoda would be an absolute dream (and just think of the meta jokes!)

5. Linda says:

I was a Chloe and Clark shipper but once Chloe and Oliver met, I became a Chlollie one and never looked back. I’m so glad she/they got a happy ending.

6. Joey Padron says:

I loved Oliver and Chloe together on Smallville, such a great TV couple. Hope Allison will get to guest star on This Is Us and get to act with Justin again!

7. Wordsmith says:

Love Chloe and OG-Ollie, though these old clips do make you appreciate how much better the fight choreography has gotten since those days. So much more visceral and seamless now, versus that feeling of “Hey, check out this rehearsed sequence of blocks and punches! Now watch, we’re going to do a wire stunt!”

8. Liz says:

I wonder if this is the reason I love Olicity on Arrow so much. Oliver Queen just seems to fit those pretty intelligent nerdy blondes.

9. T.W.S.S. says:

Smallville’s Black Canary wasn’t really good, and the actress never elevated the role the way Justin Hartley elevated his recurring role into a regular cast gig.

10. still think season 10 and season 8 were the two worst seasons in my opinion

• tvloverSA says:

True that but s9 was something else they way they did zod was way better than even man of steel for me. …..they brought his goodness out and yet his one true weakness love of power, that eventually brought his downfall.

The whole darkseid thing was a total mess and even the whole doomsday thing…even when they added the unnecessary drama was just awful to watch……but s9 even the match ups I totally fell in love with Erica Durance as Louise Lane and this far my all time favourite can’t say much about those old superman movies.

• Carrie says:

I loved those seasons. Seasons 8-10 were my favorite. I thought Season 7 was the worst.

11. ALM says:

This is sort of ironic to me. There were some vocal fans who insisted Chloe should be with Clark until she got with a secondary hero on the show. I think the same for Arrow. It’s not that Green Arrow fits with characters like this. It’s that extremely annoying characters like Chloe and her usurper of annoyance Felicity belong with secondary heroes and away from the front lines. Arrow should learn from Smallville and fix what isn’t working! But I should probably just back out as I have with the train wreck that is Arrow now. Smallville was must watch all the way through, and season 10 was by far the best as Chloe was no longer a regular.

• They already fixed what didn’t work. Lauriver was never going to work with the sister-swapping always in the backround.
      They are in the midst of fixing Olicity.

• ALM says:

I hope for the fans still watching they fix whatever they want. I gave up last season, and the couple of episodes I have watched this season have done nothing to make me want to return. But any other characters aside, including any versions of BC or any other love interests, I don’t think you can fix something that has never worked. To me, Felicity was good as a secondary character, but the more they put her on the front line, the more her and Oliver’s relationship doesn’t work. The shippers just won’t admit it.

• Maybe we just see something you don’t. It happens all the time. Snowbarry, for example, is a ship a lot of us don’t see, but as a significant following.

• Liz says:

Oliver and Felicity’s relationship was great until they had him lie about his kid. The introduced contrived drama to force a break-up because these shows don’t know how to write people in long term relationships. So I believe they totally did work and were great to watch together, with amazing chemistry that no one has ever matched on the show, but they stupidly added toxic drama. That was what didn’t work.

• tvloverSA says:

S10 was awful the mess that is the awful darkseid saga was awful Clark and Louise tried to make it watchable but it was never watchable. ….s9 was the thing of legends I still have the dvd sets for it , when the dc show suck I can rewatch.

12. EbonyRaven says:

Man, I do miss Smallville, especially Oliver and everyone. The current Arrow series has become a joke – I call it the Green Batman show. And Chloe, she was one of my faves – the Arrow’s attempt to make their own Chloe in their Felicity character fell flat on its face.

• EbonyRaven says:

And the only good thing about Arrow was Laurel and her rise to be Black Canary, and they thoroughly took a dump on her last season and continue to spit on her this season.

13. I can’t wait for Arrow to end with Olicity, but I’m also here fo the story, and I’m not leaving the show just because they aren’t kissing right now. #notafairweatherfan #notmyfirstrodeo #learnedmylessonwithSmallville

14. Carrie says:

I’m glad that Oliver and Chloe ended up together. I liked him with Lois as well, but Lois belonged with Clark. I still miss this show. Justin Hartley was a much better Green Arrow than the current boring one we have on the CW.

15. Jimmy says:

Not only had I forgotten Black Canary was on Smallville but that I absolutely hated that version.

16. Mary says:

How does this all work if Green Arrow & Supergirl were involved in the crossover last fall? Does Smallville’s Superman/Clark become Supergirl’s Superman/Clark (timeline-wise)? Obviously both are not the same actors…

• Rex the Wonder Dog says:

I don’t think so. Because in the new version Green Arrow is on Earth-1 and Superman/Clark Kent is on Earth-38. Where on Smallville Clark Kent and Green Arrow were on the same Earth. (Supergirl was brought to Earth-1 by Cisco creating an inter-dimensional portal)

17. Mari says:

I miss Chlollie si much. They were perf together.

18. kath says:

I saw what you did there, Matt. ;-) Nice metastatement,

19. Ralph says:

The new incarnations of superhero shows are bringing back so many actors from previous shows, I’d love t see Allison show up on Arrow, Supergirl or Flash as either Chloe or another role.