Help, I've Been Peak TV'd!
Best TV You're Not Watching The Missing Season 1

Peak TV Treasure: The Missing

peak-tv-bug-copyAre you overwhelmed by how much television is available right now? Is life getting in the way of keeping up with the shows you wanna try out? We feel your tube-related pain. Here’s a handy feature that’ll help you locate the hidden gems in this era of Peak TV.

THE MISSING

NETWORK | Starz

CREATED BY | Harry and Jack Williams (the British Tripped)

NUMBER OF EPISODES | 8

EPISODE LENGTH | 60 mins.

PREMISE | After a young boy named Ollie disappears while on vacation in France, his parents, Tony (The Hobbit films’ James Nesbitt) and Emily (Mr. Selfridge‘s Frances O’Connor), handle the event — and its aftermath — in very different ways. As the series unfolds in dual timelines (one immediately following Ollie’s disappearance, and another eight years later), we meet several characters involved in the investigation, including Julien (Bad Boys‘ Tchéky Karyo), a wise detective who sticks with the case even after all leads grow cold, Vincent (Titus De Voogdt), a pedophile who becomes a suspect, and Ian (The Hobbit films’ Ken Stott), a rich man who befriends Tony and Emily but seems to be hiding something.

WORTH YOUR TIME IF YOU ENJOY… | Gripping emotional dramas that have the potential to make you question the futility of life (in a good way!), top-notch performances, mysteries with a twist.

YOU SHOULD PROBABLY ALSO KNOW… | Given its subject matter, The Missing often is compared to the British Broadchurch and its American adaptation, Gracepoint. Even if you’ve seen those, The Missing is worth watching for Nesbitt and O’Connor’s performances alone.

IS IT COMING BACK? | Yes. The Missing, which airs first in the United Kingdom, was renewed for a second season in December 2014. Season 2 of the anthology series will focus on a new case about a girl who goes missing in 2003 but shows up in 2014… or does she? Karyo’s character, Julien, is the only character who carries over from Season 1; The Walking Dead‘s David Morrissey also stars. Season 2 officially premieres Sunday, Feb. 12 at 8/7c, but the premiere will be available On Demand and on the Starz app on Monday, Feb. 6, and all Season 2 episodes will be available for bingeing On Demand/the app on Feb. 12, as well.

WHERE CAN I WATCH IT? | You can start with the premiere of the series’ first installment, which is available for free now on Starz.com; all Season 1 episodes are available On Demand or via the Starz app.

Press PLAY on the video below for a taste of what The Missing is all about, then hit the comments: Will you check in with the show?

1. Victoria says:

Been waiting forever for the 2nd season!

2. Johnny says:

I remember seeing a trailer for this and found it really interesting (even after watching Broadchurch). It totally fell off my radar so thanks for bringing it back to my attention! Love this new column – great idea!

3. Niki says:

I really enjoy these Peak TV articles. There is just so much TV to watch now… It’s great to have these gems pointed out so we can give them a try. My TV watching is limited, especially with a three-year-old, so I really don’t want to waste my time … I appreciate it! Thank you!!

4. The second season was my best of 2016. Intriguing, full of action, and a lot of twists…

5. SJ says:

I really enjoy this new feature.

That said, I will not be checking out the show. I watched Secrets & Lies, which had a formula this show seems to emulate (and yes, I know Broadchurch and The Killing both came before it). This summer, ABC is going to air two more of these shows, headlined by Kyra Sedgwick and Paula Patton. So I’m all mysteried-out.

Besides, the second season promo looks almost identical to The Family, which aired last season on ABC and is the only one of this type of dramas I really, really loved, owing in part to the amazing performances by Joan Allen and the rest of the cast. So it’s gonna be a pass but I’m looking forward to other shows you guys spotlight here…

• Rachel says:

I watched some of the shows you listed but this is way beyond them. Maybe it’s the writing or acting but this is so much better! Those shows never had that “it” thing for me. Where I’m so engrossed and encapsulated b/c of the way the story unfolds…Those other shows never had it but this did. I really hope you give it a chance especially with the limited number of episodes you shouldn’t feel like you’ve wasted your time.

6. Jared says:

Thank you TVLine for doing articles like this. You got me into Orphan Black and Teen Wolf, two series I had never seen at the time but took your recommendation and now I love. I’m sure to be catching some of these as well.

7. Rachel says:

I loved this series! I watched broadchurch and enjoyed it but this surpasses it, at least for me. I have never been so engrossed in a series as I was with this one. I would find ways to watch when I was super busy…just minutes of it here and there b/c I had to know what happened! My husband would get frustrated bc so many times we would have to leave to go somewhere but I’m holed up in our bedroom watching on my phone instead of getting ready. I am so excited for this second season and hope it’s just as gripping. And I’m so glad that “Julien” is back. He was one of the best parts of the show. I would definitely recommend this to anyone that likes gripping and engrossing mysteries.

8. N!loofar says:

Julien Baptiste is the man 💪

9. KCG19 says:

I love this new feature. There’s tons to watch right now it’s difficult to figure out the good from the bad

10. Soraya E. says:

In Holland you can watch it on Netflix and I did… and I gotta tell you, that final scene of Season 1 was heartbreaking. Truthfully, the whole show is and I loved every second of it. Looking forward to season 2.

11. abbyrose says:

oh man, this series destroyed me. it was so, so good, but just brutally sad.