Jason Katims

Parenthood/FNL Boss Jason Katims Back at NBC With Drama High Pilot

Clear eyes, full hearts, Kyle Chandler can’t lose this role… right?

NBC has ordered a drama pilot from Friday Night Lights and Parenthood boss Jason Katims titled Drama High that centers on a high school drama teacher and family man whose passion for the program and his 51thbksya3l-_sx329_bo1204203200_students galvanizes the entire working class town.

Katims, who is coming off the short-lived CBS medical drama Pure Genius, is penning the script and will serve as an EP alongside Hamilton producer Jeffrey Seller as well as Michelle Lee and Flody Suarez.

The potential series is based on Michael Sokolove’s book Drama High, which itself is based on real-life drama teacher Lou Volpe.

Casting is underway, but, come on, the lead role is Chandler’s to lose, right? Bloodline is currently shooting its final season, so he’d certainly be available. OK, I’ll stop now. Feel free to post your own suggestions in the comments.

1. Al says:

Umm
    I think NBC may have forgotten but FOX made this show already. It was called Glee…

• Danyelle says:

…said the person who obviously has no idea the difference between glee club/chorus and drama club….lol

• dude says:

Yeah, it’s about a band of misfits that perform dramatic readings instead of pop songs. It’s SO different!

• Jamie says:

Why assume that they’re misfits? The drama department at my high school was full of kids who were there because they were great actors, singers, and dancers. A number of them went to performing arts colleges/programs, and some of them are now currently working in television or professional theater. And two of the drama guys in my year were on the football team. They definitely didn’t do theater because they were misfits.

• DL says:

Actually, when NBC’s Parenthood first came out, it seemed like a dramatic take on Modern Family — a diverse multi-generational family co-existing in CA — but Katims was able to elevate it into something way beyond the basic pitch. So while I had the initial gut “Glee” reaction, I’m sure it’ll be something completely original. Count me in.

2. c-mo says:

So this is really FNL meets Drama Club?

• Jill says:

Exactly what I thought. Substitute Football for Drama. Don’t get me wrong, I’ll totally watch. Here’s hoping it’s more than that!

• c-mo says:

Yeah, me too! FNL and Parenthood are classics so as long as it really is drama subbed for football, I’m all in. Not that I want to put Ryan Murphy and Jason Katims in the same category, I fear this might go the way of Glee, which I detested.

3. Kris says:

YES YES YES YES YES

4. JennB says:

I would LOVE to see Chandler and Katims reunited. Absolutely love both of them but hated Bloodline and thought Pure Genius was meh.
    Can we get some of the Parenthood cast in there too? What’s Joel up to? Can Dax be a regular?

Hope this takes off, sounds like it could have a ton of heart!

• Jamie says:

Katims loves to recast his actors – Michael B Jordan, Matt Lauria, Minka Kelly, Scott Porter, etc. all were on both Parenthood and FNL, so I’m sure we’ll see some familiar faces.

5. Ann says:

Lucas Bryant would shine in this part, he can sing, is gorgeous and can do a spot on impresonation of any known character, if you give him a minute. I miss him on TV. Oh, he studied theater in college. He’s perfect!

6. Iakovos says:

DRAMA HIGH will be no GLEE, I am sure. Katims’s record proves that. And drama is not show choir. I like the angle about arts and the effect on a working-class community. I am happy to see another famil drama in development other than a crime procedural. Shame PURE GENIUS did not find its footing. I appreciate its optimistic point of view. hope it will be streamed or on DVD soon.

7. ERin says:

How about Scott Porter he was on FNL and has a great voice.

8. I actually want more Roswell Jason Katims.

9. Joey Padron says:

I’m a fan of Jason’s work and shows. I’ll check out this new show of his.

10. dude says:

So this is basically Friday Night Lights meets Glee? I love both those shows but I’m still on the fence about whether this will actually work.

11. Laura Gallo says:

Sounds like a great idea to me!!

12. MPMcDonald says:

I see this more like an updated version of Fame (from the 80s) than Glee. Fame was gritty and kind of dark, if I remember it correctly. True drama, not overblown teen angst like Glee. And, if it’s like that, I could totally get on board with Kyle Chandler in it, but I won’t hold my breath that it will happen. It might too much like his Coach Taylor role for him to want to take it.

13. Dev says: