Supergirl Recap

Supergirl Recap: Shocking Revelations

Guardian finally let the cat out of the bag on Monday’s Supergirl — not that he had much of a choice.

National City’s new vigilante attempted to intervene in Kara and Livewire’s latest clash, only to be knocked unconscious — and what was Kara supposed to do, not take his mask off? Anyway, she was understandably pissed at James & Co. for keeping her in the dark, but at least she was willing to hear him out.

“That thing you feel, that thing that makes you want to make everything better, I feel it too,” James told her. “I always have. I’ve tried so many different ways of helping people in my life … but it’s just not enough. This is. Look, I was never meant to be in Superman’s shadow, or yours. I am more me as Guardian than I have ever felt as James Olsen.”

Unfortunately for James, heartfelt speeches are not among Kara’s weaknesses; she insisted that he drop the hero act, or she’d make him do it. (Yikes!) Cut to, like, five minutes later: Guardian was at it again — this time attempting to rescue Livewire from the grips of a supercharged evil scientist — only to be captured, along with Mon-El, by the aforementioned lunatic.

“You know what I love?” Livewire quipped. “Little boys who think they can do a better job than the actual superhero.” And right on cue, along came Supergirl to save the day! I mean, it was technically a group effort, but had she not crashed the party, it would have been game over for everyone.

Of course, the real surprise — or, ahem, shock — came when Livewire started fighting alongside Kara, Guardian and Mon-El, earning her a get-out-of-jail-free card. “Just us girls next time,” the white-haired wonder said before zapping herself out of sight. “We’ll braid each other’s hair.” (I’m not sure that Supergirl letting her nemesis escape unscathed was the smartest move, but it resulted in a cute congratulatory scene between Alex and Maggie, so I guess everyone came out a winner.)

And because Kara’s day apparently wasn’t already long enough, she returned home to find Mon-El standing outside her apartment with a few things to get off his chest: Not only did he remember kissing her, but it was so good that he actually made peace with his own death. (Fortunately for all of us, he managed to avoid that fate.) He then showered her with compliments about her lovely, comet-like eyes before slinking off like a rejected puppy.

Man, Kara could really use a distraction from all this drama — boys are the worst, right? — so maybe it’s actually a good thing that M’gann’s people are on their way to seek vengeance on the white martian who wronged them. (Actually, I just re-read that and disagreed myself. It’s in no way a good thing.)

OK, time to weigh in: Are you disappointed that Kara didn’t return Mon-El’s affection? Are you worried about her already-rocky relationship with James? Whatever’s on your mind, drop it in a comment below.

1. Jason says:

One of the best episodes of the season for me. The tension between Guardian and Supergirl was great. Characters that challenge kara and allow her to be less than perfect is what this show needs more of. also am I wrong for thinking James still has feelings for Kara? he seemed pretty jealous of mon-el

2. Nicole Recchia says:

I can’t stand mon el. To much off him being forced. Thank god she didn’t return those feelings. He needs to move along and take guardian with him

3. Mark says:

I like Mon-El. I don’t get why he lied to Kara for so long, and I don’t get why she’s not interested.

James and Winn got off way too light. James is wearing a suit that Winn stole from the DEO. Every night, Winn steals a DEO van. Winn withheld information from his co-workers and told James instead. Not only is James lying to himself when he claims to be doing this by himself (as if he’s Bruce Wayne), his statement to Kara about continuing to fight even if she doesn’t approve is nuts. He’s a dead man the first night without the suit, and Winn can’t help without the van, both of which the DEO can take away. And Winn’s disloyalty should be a HUGE problem. He just got a “don’t do that again” from J’onn?

4. Sarah says:

Hated this episode

James continued to be a jerk and act like he was the perfect hero who could save all while making snide remarks about Mon-el. MOn-el also came off as obnoxious and the rivalry between the two was painful. Kara had no right to make decisions for others. Even Wynn was stupid.

Only good part was John and M’gaan and the final scene between Kara and mon-el.

• Jason says:

honestly don’t know how anyone could watch this episode and come out thinking James was the wrong one

• Sarah says:

I hate what they have done to James. Loved him last season but have begun to actually hate him and root for his death since this whole Guardian fiasco

His only saving grace is that the actor is so pretty :)

• Jason says:

I found him more interesting than I have in awhile in tonights episode. The fight he had with Kara was great for both of them. They gave him something to do tonight

• Tai says:

Agreed. I liked him more tonight than I have in the series and that’s saying something because I’ve loved him since the beginning. I like that he stood up to Kara. He didn’t back down. He wants to be a hero and he’s chosen his own path. I get where Kara is coming from but she doesn’t get to make those choices for them. I just really really love that Winn and James didn’t back down. Even when she hit them with the ultimatum, they stuck to what they want. Good for both of them.

• Phillip says:

He loved Kara so much I there hearts.

5. Agent 86 says:

It’s time for Jimmy to move back to Metropolis and never be seen or heard from ever again!
    If they can’t break the actor’s contract, then he needs to quit as Guardian, quit as CEO and instead work side-by-side with Kara as her photographer when she does interviews, etc as a journalist. Or he can be mutated into Turtle Boy and move into the DEO as comic relief until he’s cured (i.e. until his contract runs out).

• jj says:

Yes! James and the Guardian storyline are painful. I don’t know why the writers’ version of James Olsen had to be stripped down of all the personality and character of the traditional Jimmy Olsen. He just sucks the energy out of every scene that he’s in.

• JFINN says:

Why? Nothing is wrong with him. I’ve been reading the same BS on how he is supposely a bad character and need to leave the show. All of it has to do with James Olsen becoming black and those saying don’t bring race into it is just as ignorant. I want to see where the Guardian story line goes and the bromance with Winn is a plus.

• jj says:

I’ve explained what is wrong with him. His personality has been completely stripped down to the traditional Jimmy Olsen. And the result is he’s boring. It has nothing to do with him being black. It’s actually pathetic that that’s the only thing that people are using to try to defend the character. On the Flash, they cast the West family as Black and they are awesome characters. It’s not the race change, it’s the personality change that is the issue.

• Leona says:

It’s the actor, IMO. Absolutely no charisma and sucks all energy out of a scene.

6. SoBored! says:

This show needs to get it together soon…I’m losing interest fast.

7. Josh says:

Mon-el eating up more screen time than established characters is annoying and I don’t give a crap about a forced romance with Kara. I’d prefer she be single. But this show is determined to make Kara fall for a doucheboy

• SoBored! says:

Where does it say established characters deserve more screen time than new characters?

• Jordana says:

Exactly I’m tired of people whining about Mon-el eating up the screentime of others. He was brought on the show to have a significant role.and if the casting had been great last season, they wouldn’t have needed him. Just because someone had a lot of screen time last season doesn’t mean they deserve it if they didn’t resonate with viewers. I would love to see more of J’onn, though, but I certainly don’t blame Mon-el for him not getting screentime.

• emara says:

Also the potential love interests of the lead also get more screentime.

Alex is getting more but with Maggie, and J’Onn time is now with M’Gann.

I definitely like Mon-El very much (I find him charming and funny), I love this relationship with Kara (which is not over as she did not say anything about how she felt) and the potential storylines are amazing (re Daxam and dominators)

8. Mon-EL finally tells Kara how he feels about her Kara doesn’t appear to feel the same way about him anyway we may have to wait until season 3 to find out if Kara and Mon-EL thing will happen

9. Why has no one thanked Lena and given her a hug?

10. walter says:

They need to get rid of Mon-El and Gurdian. This is called Supergirl, not Superfriends.

11. Kara says:

Get rid of Alex!

• Supergirl says:

The only reason you want to get rid of Alex is because she’s gay and that’s never gonna happen. Also, your comment reflects badly on you because there’s nothing, absolutely nothing wrong with who Alex is (if anything she’s amazing!), what she’s doing and whom she’s in love with. #Loveislove. If you’re gonna be like this than don’t watch the show, it ain’t for you.

12. William says:

But the love of Mon-El is Tasmia Mallor of Talok VIII aka Shadow Lass. Of course he will meet her 1000 years in the future…enjoying the chemistry and tension

13. Bryceps says:

I think Mon-El’s love statement wasn’t enough to win over Kara’s feelings, I totally get the compliment on the eyes, and the peace over his death, but he didn’t really go into why he liked Kara in terms of character and personality, but anyways I totally disagree with Kara about James being on the streets, his explanation was definitely sufficient enough, “not standing in the shadows of Superman” but wanting to actually help even if you don’t have superpowers. Great episode!! I really hope Mon-El x Kara happens!!

14. Becca says:

Seriously there’s almost no discussion of J’onn J’onzz’s massive development in this episode or the superb acting by David Harewood? His moments with M’gann were easily the best parts of tonight’s episode. I also thought it real weird that Leslie didn’t mention Cat once since she has no idea Cat’s left. I miss Calista and am ready for the trio of Mon El, Winn, and James to stop sucking up the screen time. I liked James last season, but this season my eyes glaze over any time they are the focus.

15. Kepler says:

Agrrr with those who think Winn deserved a MUCH stronger punishment. He practically committed treason by withholding Livewires whereabouts and if James and Mon El were killed as opposed to captured, none of the characters would be smiling. As always, Kara and Mon El were delightful together and I’m a little confused by everyone that thinks she doesn’t feel anything for him too. I mean she didn’t even get the words out that she wasn’t interested and really what was the point of her taking off her glasses while he talked about her eyes of if wasn’t to highlight them. I’m good with her “rejection” though because I want this ship to have staying power and rushing into it won’t do it.

• emara says:

I find Mon-El a really interesting character. I think that his chemistry with Kara is off the charts and I loved the last scene. He was trying not to burden Kara with his feelings and gave her a way out. Although I am not convinced that she does not feel anything about him. I love them together, so I am all for a slow-burn angsty ship.

Looking forward to next chapters of Supergir.

• Claire says:

Agreed. Slow burn is the way to go. Those two have amazing chemistry but Mon-El’S character needs to grow a bit more before they get together.

I don’t really mind the rest of the characters but I do wish we get Cat and Superman back for at least the season finale!

16. John says:

Mon-El is the worst character on the show. like James much better now. He was so boring and stiff before. Mon-El is way too obnoxious and immature for Kara. Kara should not be so mad at James and Winn, they were a team before and as long as they are friends of Supergirl/Kara they will be in danger. At least now they can defend themselves.

17. The Truth says:

This show, which has ok at best, is going down hill fast. Supergirl very bluntly said that Olson can not be a hero since he is just a human. Seriously that is the message this show wants to send people? That is a slap in the face of every real hero on this planet. If there ever was a need for a Marvel crossover, the show’s entire staff and Supergirl need Captain America to put them in their place to what a real hero is.

18. Phun says:

Great episode! Kara had every right to be mad at James and Winn for risking their lives against super villains. They could get hurt as James did. The scene with J’onn, Alex and Kara was so awesome. I miss the ‘family’ scenes they have with each other. And Livewire! Great one-liners. Loved the ending where they teamed up and Supergirl let her go to fight another day.

19. Dominique says:

this was a nice episode. i’m not a big fan of livewire but she was okay this episode.
    i’m glad kara told off james and winn. i understand james for wanting to help and fight, but with the villains who show up in national city, he’s not gonna be of much help when he’s already been knocked unconscious.
    david harewood was AMAZING, he just slays everything they throw at him.
    i’m glad mon-el told kara, and it was surprising to see her not return those feelings. i hope this will change in the future but for now, i’m good with it.
    i still really like mon-el, chris wood does a great job with his character. the way some people feel about mon-el is how i feel about maggie; i’m sure she’s great but the only thing she does on the show is show up at a crime scene (and then hand over pretty much everything to the DEO) and play alex’ love interest.

20. Phillip says:

I want Kara to have relationship with James Olson I’m happy for them to be a cuple. As boyfriend and gril framed.

21. The Carpooler says:

It was fantastic to see Jessie Graff!

22. GambitGrey says:

Is that the same Livewire actress?

23. Red Snapper says:

I thought it was a great episode, one of the best. I’m glad Mon-El told Kara how he feels. He’s trying to be better than he was. I wish he had told her whatever his other secret is but I get why he hasn’t. He got a chance at a fresh start and he’s taking it. I’m glad Kara doesn’t realize she has feelings for him yet. It gives her more time one her own before getting involved with someone again. I’m happy that J’onn has forgiven M’gann for lying about being a white Martian and they can move forward as allies or more than that. White Martians coming to Earth is definitely not a good thing. James was less annoying tonight but he still sucks the air out of every room he’s in. He’s like a cardboard cutout. Alex and Maggie were super cute and I am loving them as a couple. I can’t wait until Mon-El fully embraces his superhero future.

24. juless says:

best line ever!!! You like The Gurdian, make a new show for him…. and gave us supergirl back..
    First season was really strong this one nop.
    We need Cat back, we need more luthors… please

25. Roland says:

The most shocking revelation for me is that the White Martians actually speak in Hungarian with a bad accent! :-) vér=blood, gyönyörű háború=beautiful war, fejezd be=stop it
    So cool! :-)

26. Luli says:

I need more sister moments. I miss them. There have not been enough this season.

27. Krista says:

I’m not sure I even Like Cara Danvers anymore. She should support her friends and help them do what they feel is important to them. It’s not like she doesn’t take any risks with her life / well being with the aliens / super powered she goes up against.

28. gemini says:

I can understand Kara not wanting her friends out there for fear they will get hurt or killed but I am sure James has helped Superman plenty times in the past so he kinda has more experience than she does and what about Alex maybe I’m remembering wrong but she was recruited for her mind originally and trained to be a field agent she puts herself in danger all the time and Kara fought next to Team Arrow and the Legends and most of them have no powers so I’am not sure what this is all about maybe it was just bad writing cause I cant believe Kara would think that just because James is human he can not fight along side her since she has fought along side and fights along side non powered people

29. Mick says:

What the hell is happening. This program is going nowhere except in the bin