Mike Connors Dies

Mannix Star Mike Connors Dead at 91

Mike Connors, best known for his titular role in the long-running CBS procedural Mannix, died Thursday of leukemia, Deadline reports. He was 91.

On Mannix, which debuted in 1967 and ran for eight seasons, Connors played disobedient, plaid coat-wearing private eye Joe Mannix. The role earned him a 1969 Golden Globe award for best actor in a drama series. The series ended its run in 1975 after producing 194 episodes.

Connors’ additional TV credits included guest stints on Murder She Wrote, Walker, Texas Ranger and, in what would be his final acting gig, a 2007 episode of Two and a Half Men.

• Chloe says:

I was thinking the same thing. :(
      I always enjoyed Mannix. Mike Connors seemed like a real gentleman.

• c-mo says:

I really wish people would stop feeling this way. Most of famous people dying the past year plus have led wonderful long lives and lived them to their fullest. It’s not like you were possibly going to be seeing them pop up on your current favorite show. Yes, their deaths are sad but people die every day. The “Greatest Generation” is aging quickly and the generation to which most of these recent actors belong are therefore dying quickly as well. Be sad but don’t act like the world is ending or it’s going to be the worst year ever because lots of famous people are dying, remember lots of new babies are born every day and for that we can celebrate!
      With that said, I loved Mannix as as child and always thought he was so handsome. Thank you for sharing your talents with us, Mr. Connors.

1. TV Gord says:

Mannix was one of those impossibly cool private eyes of the ’60s and ’70s. My strongest memory of his show was when Joe would follow a suspect through an underground parking lot, a seemingly unaware perp. The problem with that was the click-clack-click-clack of his patent-leather shoes on the pavement echoed throughout the cement structure. What? Was he wearing taps? Still, he always got his man, and usually with a maximum of bullets whizzing through the air. There was a minute when he made me want to be a private detective, but then I realized he was usually surrounded by a bunch of two-bit actors who couldn’t get their own series, and I set my sights higher. Loved his secretary, though.

2. He also did a forgotten TV show called Tightrope in 1959.

• ragnar51 says:

I remember it well, he carried his gun in the small of his back!!. Looks like 2017 will be a repeat of 2016..damm!!

3. GuessWhat says:

RIP!
    The 1970s are really dying out — sad.
    =(

4. MorroccoMole says:

Mike Connors had one of those unique voices that I would instantly recognize. RIP “Joe Mannix”

5. Jake says:

I believe that for years the episodes of Mannix were unavailable to be shown, but apparently a few years back that was resolved and I was finally able to watch the series when it was broadcast on one of those retro channels. It seems to hold up better than some of those old TV series (though, he got concussed every six episodes or so, so his brain should have been like mush). I also recall there was some controversy at the time that the show as too violent.
    I enjoyed watching it though, so kudos to Mike for his work as an actor. He seemed to be the epitome of the hard-boiled Dashiell Hammett/Mickey Spillane film noir hero.

• Really!? says:

I was lucky enough to catch it from the beginning on that network. Don’t think I had ever seen the first season before. In a lot of ways I think the first season was the best.

6. TV Gord says:

Let’s all take a breath. Some people are reacting to every celebrity death as though it’s 2016. It’s not.

Mary never really recovered well from her 2011 brain surgery. Mannix was 91 with leukemia.
    People are going to die.

There seems to be a morbid desire among some to want this year to be as shocking as last year. It’s not.

Well, it is. There’s a five-year-old sociopath in The White House. Let’s focus our freak-outs where they matter.

7. Really!? says:

Dimmit! Another one of my favorites gone. The world was already not the same but it just keeps getting worse. I am afraid to think who might be #3 in this group. I am very sad :-(

8. Natalie says:

I loved Mike Connors in Mannix. i wanted to be a private eye. I loved him & Peggy. *sniff* RIP to my very first crush as a little girl.

9. kittycat925 says:

Mike Connors was one of my first crushes. My mom and I watched Mannix every week because it was a really good show; and, of course, he was easy on the eyes! I met Mike a couple times (he’s from my hometown:Fresno, CA) and he was very nice and friendly. That’s how I’ll always remember him. RIP

10. To all who are upset that the rest of us feel genuine grief at the passing of one of our stars, just remember that the reason they became stars in the first place was that they shone brightly enough to matter to us…I will continue to grieve because it matters…