Teen Wolf Recap

Teen Wolf Recap: The Search for Stiles Takes a Hopeful (and Romantic) Turn

Has the secret to saving Stiles been hiding in Teen Wolf‘s strongest ‘ship this whole time?

Tuesday’s episode, the final installment before Season 6A wraps next week, found Scott and Malia trying (and failing) to bring Stiles back into existence by latching onto their tangible memories of him. And while I’ll admit that they both came close — especially Scott, who relived the time Stiles talked him out of killing himself back in Season 3 — it wasn’t until Lydia stepped up to the plate that we finally saw some results.

“When I was remembering him, I was also remembering the two of you together,” Scott told her. “I don’t think anyone had a connection like you guys.” Even Malia, fighting back tears, assured Lydia that she “saw it, too.” (Side note: Unless I missed something, Malia’s memories were all about her and Stiles. Lydia never made an appearance. So was she lying when she agreed with Scott? I mean, it worked — I’m just curious about Malia’s process.)

Needless to say, Lydia’s search for Stiles in her subconscious dug up more than I was prepared to relive. First came the school formal from Season 1, where Stiles told Lydia, “Get off your cute little ass and dance with me,” which was sort of romantic… in a very Stiles-y way. And by the time Lydia arrived at her most crucial moment with Stiles — the time she kissed him to stop his panic attack — I was a mess.

And I wasn’t the only one getting emotional over Lydia’s trip down Memory Lane. “When I kissed him, that’s when it all changed,” she declared before remembering that she was the last person to physically see Stiles before he was taken. “I never said it back.”

Cue a mysterious figure walking out of a blinding light. Welcome back… Stiles?

Of course, Scott & Co. were only able to find Stiles in the first place because Liam and Theo committed keeping the Ghost Riders distracted at the hospital. To be honest, I’m surprised Sheriff Stilinski agreed to let Theo out of his cell in the first place — especially after he was reminded that Stiles was “smart enough not to trust” him — but I can’t say I’m not glad he did.

Not only did Theo fight valiantly alongside Liam — they even almost fist-bumped! — but in the episode’s final moments, he even sacrificed himself to the Riders, allowing Liam to escape. #Redemption

So, what are your thoughts on this epic hour? Were you excited to learn that “Stydia” has stood the test of time? Willing to forgive Theo for his past transgressions? Whatever’s on your mind, including your hopes for next week’s finale, drop it in a comment below.

1. Donald says:

Hoo boy, ready for the salt to start flowing.

2. jrex says:

Fond memories, but too much time spent on Liam and Theo. Not sure how they wrap this up with only one more episode to the Finale!

• Al says:

They still have half a season left to go so plenty of time to wrap things up. Next week is just the midseason finale and then long break. It’s a 10-10 episode split like Season 5 was.

3. Ella says:

Haven’t even started this season yet. Still can’t quite believe how badly they’ve cocked up Stalia – Stiles’ GREATEST relationship outside Scott. Lydia was nothing but unrequited puppy love, this is a joke and a disservice to Malia, who is awesome.

• Isaiah says:

Right!! Bring back Stalia!!! If they don’t do that though I wouldn’t mind a little action between Malia and Scott unless Kira comes back. Kira is the one for Scott!!!

4. Erik says:

Holland Roden’s work at the end of this episode was truly outstanding.

5. Philypa says:

“Teen Wolf‘s strongest” Wait… what you mean Sterek?

• GrumpyMittens says:

That was literally my first thought too. With all the love I have for Stydia, Sterek remains this fandom’s post popular (just look at AO3 relationship count) and strongest pairing to the date.

• Mike says:

Thats a product of the internets bizarre obsession with male/male relationships. Its like that in every fandom. And the internet is hardly indicative of anything.

6. luvprue1 says:

I love Liam and Theo working together. But why did the Ghost Riders take everyone at the polive precinct but Theo?

Why haven’t they brought in Kira to fight the wild hunt?

7. akane171 says:

Again they romanticized a panic attack kiss, gross. Again they sidelined main character for a ship, gross. Again they destroyed canon for a ship, gross. And I wasted five years for this fanservice, GROSS.

8. Dominique says:

the fact that lydia, who dated/slept with aiden after she kissed stiles, who had a thing with parrish, who never saw stiles as ANYTHING romantic, is able to open the rift, and not scott, who is practically his brother, or malia who had an actual relationship with stiles and whose anchor during the full moon is still stiles, is absolutely ridiculous.
    they are retconning a whole bunch of stuff just to make stydia seem like it had always been there.

• Ditzy-D says:

I don’t mind Lydia and Stiles together but it totally should have been Scott at the end opening the rift. They are like brothers – if they are going to show that Motel California scene then Scott needed to be the one to open the rift.

• I’d say it didn’t work for Scott purely because they spent so long figuring it out. By the time they did he was freezing. Same with Malia (she didn’t last as long due to not being an Alpha).

I’m still not sure why they couldn’t do what they did with Lydia with Scott and Malia. Why did they freeze first?

Also, when Malia agreed about Lydia having the connection with Stiles you could see she was sad and shaken. I think she acknowledged what was there even though it hurt her to admit it.

• Daniella says:

Dominique gets it!
      That was my biggest issue with the episode. I was like really? It should have been Scott.
      Talk about forcing Stydia (although I still want Stydia to happen).

9. Janka says:

I didn´t see Allison in the flashback with the flare… so does it mean she is also forgotten and maybe coming back?

10. I’d say it didn’t work for Scott purely because they spent so long figuring it out. By the time they did he was freezing. Same with Malia (she didn’t last as long due to not being an Alpha).

11. Daniella says:

Once again, the opening scene confused me. Felt like I missed an episode.
    That whole stuff with the Sheriff was great until he disappeared.
    Such a let down. I thought he was gonna play a big part with Scott, Lydia and Malia after last week’s ending.
    The rest of the episode started off great until it screamed FILLER:
    The Ghost Riders slow motion run ft Liam and Theo is equivalent to ‘stalling the storyline’.
    Other filler ft flashbacks and echos:
    – Scott has the strongest connection to Stiles…I generally thought Scott opened a rift, I thought he was gonna be the one to do it.
    – Well it’s Malia’s turn!
    -Nope, now it’s Lydia because apparently both Malia and Scott saw that she had the biggest connection to Stiles LOL – they’re really pushing the romantic stuff for Stydia to happen.
    Would have preferred Scott going last and he being the reason a rift was made.
    To leave on a positive note: the flashbacks made up for this filler.
    The highlight was their ’emotional memories of Stiles’. I loved seeing them again, I got the feels. Also that preview…I missed you Dylan.