Queer Eye Reboot

Queer Eye Getting Netflix Reboot, Setting Gay Rights Back a Decade?

Netflix is reviving another small-screen relic — and, we fear, all the problematic stereotypes that come along with it.

The hit makeover show Queer Eye for the Straight Guy — in which five gay men worked together to enlighten heterosexual slobs in the ways of fashion, food, etc. from 2003 to 2007 — is being rebooted by Netflix. But even though a decade has passed since the Bravo series wrapped its 100-episode run, its general conceit — that all gay men are expected to be fun, fit and fashionable — remains remarkably unevolved.

“In a time when America stands divided and the future seems uncertain, a team of five brave men will try to bring us closer together with laughter, heart, and just the right amount of moisturizer,” reads a statement from the show’s producers. “With a new Fab 5 and the show’s toughest missions to date, Queer Eye moves from the Big Apple to turn the Red States pink — one makeover at a time.” (Oh, did we mention they’re aiming to “Make America Fabulous Again”?)

Don’t get us wrong, we loved Queer Eye back in the day. But given the tremendous strides television has made with LGBT representation — with plenty more work still to be done! — shouldn’t a new Queer Eye, which purports to be an arbiter of good taste, be… you know… in better taste?

EW.com first reported the show’s revival.

Where do you stand on Queer Eye 2.0? Drop your thoughts in a comment below.

1. Sam says:

Look, most of being an LGBT person in media involves violence or second-class-character status. Is this great for gay representation? Probably not. But I’d like to see it before I condemn it.

2. Tom says:

Its general conceit — that all gay men are expected to be fun, fit and fashionable — remains remarkably unevolved.” There’s another conceit, that all straight men are clueless and need to be changed, that’s just as wrong. This is why Happy Endings should have ran longer, the world needs more gay men on television like Max Blum.

• Ron says:

:/ Now I’m just depressed all over again that Happy Endings still isn’t on the air. I’ll never not want Happy Endings to come back to my TV screen. How about we stop bringing back shows no one gives two flips about actually bring back a show like HE that was a-mah-zing

3. MLD says:

Not sure if it would work without the chemistry of the original Fab Five, or most of them with a couple of new additions that may be more diverse to TV Line’s criticism. I fear having a completely new group would be as deep as the contestants on Finding Prince Charming but hopefully Netflix is smarter than that.

4. MK says:

There is chronic complaining by the LGBT community of not enough LGBT representation on TV, and now you’re complaining about this? Do you not see how silly you are? Do you not trust these gay men to represent themselves in the way they wish to be seen? Maybe you would prefer the cast to more resemble the “heterosexual slobs” you referenced, so as to avoid stereotypes. What a fun show that would be. Geez.

5. cuius says:

It’s television – virtually all shows consist of stereotypes – with the worst being so-called “reality” shows. Shows with real “real people” wouldn’t attract an audience

6. Kathy says:

It never really occurred to me that they were saying ALL gay men are stylish and ALL straight men are boorish. I guess I thought of the Fab 5 as no different than Ty Pennington and his merry band of constructioneers on Extreme Home Makeover–these were 5 men using their personal and unique knowledge to provide a service to those who needed it. Maybe that’s the true message of the progress we’ve made with LGBTQ issues in the past two decades: we no longer have to think of any particular television personality as representative of the whole LGBTQ population, but instead we can see them as the individuals they are.

• herman1959 says:

DITTO. Well said, Kathy.

• Jamie says:

Yes. Exactly what I was thinking. I never saw the original, but I don’t think they purported to be representing all gay men. And I don’t think the creators of this show would do either.

• Temperance says:

I watch the original, and they certainly did not assert that all gay men were stylish and all straight men needed help. Most of the time, a spouse, girlfriend, or coworker got the guys on the show – so it was nearly always WOMEN that knew the person that chose them. It was really great the ways that the gays treated the straight guys, and it was pretty great that almost none of them showed any issues with them at all.

• isaaedi100 says:

Couldn’t have said it better myself, Kathy!
      This show was all about breaking down the walls of homophobia – as the press release said “to turn the Red States pink” – which is still much needed to this day!! I’m super psyched that it’s coming back!

7. Netflix’s flirting with throwback shows has worn thin. Enough already

8. Paul says:

Nah. Way too soon for this kind of retro. Count me out (of the closet and this show).

9. nabocane says:

I liked the early episodes of the original. Looking forward to the reboot.

10. Completely unfabulous says:

No. The new Queer Eye won’t do that. The Trump Administration will.

11. Let’s make a Straight Eye For The Queer Guy. All things being equal :-D. Nah, just watch AudacityMovie.com instead. Let me know what you think of the movie.

12. readenreply says:

Queer Eye Stereotypes vs. Will & Grace Stereotypes.

Discuss.

• Jamie says:

I loved Will and Grace back in the day, but that show was FULL of slurs, stereotypes, and homophobic digs. Like, did Karen ever actually call Will by his name or did she just refer to him using women’s names? And was there ever an episode that didn’t insinuate that the reason why Jack was a ho was simply because he was a gay man?

Idk how I feel about the W&G reboot – I don’t think the humor that made the show popular will go well across modern day audiences.

13. readenreply says:

Give the progress of the last decade, I expect the reboot to be less… awkward

14. Debbie says:

This was a great show – bring it on!! Could they please have Carson be part of the reboot?