Supergirl Recap

Supergirl Recap: Sun's Out, Guns Out

The powerful swapped places with the powerless on Monday’s Supergirl, as Alex and Winn stepped up to free a weakened Kara and Mon-El from the bonds of slavery. And to think, this all happened because Kara was getting bored.

Kara and Mon-El’s hellish trip to Slaver’s Moon — a wasteland of a planet, complete with a power-zapping red sun and an atmosphere toxic to Martians — began when Kara got a little too invested in the story of a missing teen. Naturally, Mon-El was eager to aid Kara in her latest endeavor, shrugging off his responsibilities at work. (Oh, yeah, Mon-El is a full-time bartender now. You know, because he’s “been known to like alcohol.”)

Their search for a girl named Izzy (played by director Kevin Smith’s daughter Harley Quinn Smith!) led them to an undercover human trafficker (played by “Arthur” from Difficult People!), who zapped the “strapping young millennials” straight to Roulette, also a sight for sore eyes. (In case you couldn’t tell, I was really excited about this week’s crop of guest stars.)

For all the reasons I mentioned earlier, Kara and Mon-El found Slaver’s Moon to be less than hospitable, leaving it up to the DEO to bring them back. Well… Not since Khaleesi freed the Unsullied have I witnessed a liberation of such magnitude in my living room. Alex was blowing up baddies left and right, spaceships were exploding overhead — hell, Winn even punched an alien in the face at one point. It was nuts.

It turns out that the whole experience was just what Mon-El needed to decide he does want to be a superhero, suit and all — though I’m pretty sure the suit is half the reason he wants to do this in the first place. And Kevin Smith wasn’t kidding when he referred to Melissa Benoist and Chris Wood’s episode-closing scene as being “Charm City.” Regardless of how you feel about their relationship, you can’t deny the charm.

Slightly less charming, however, were the fashionable aliens we saw at the end of the hour… the ones currently heading to Earth for Mon-El. Their hunt, combined with the one Dominator bowing to Mon-El, and him brushing off the topic of the Prince of Daxam, would seem to point toward a certain fan theory…. Is the wannabe hero concealing a royal bombshell?

Elsewhere…

‘I JUST WANT TO BE HAPPY’ | Kevin Smith also wasn’t kidding when he told TVLine to expect some “beautiful” Alex/Maggie moments in this episode. That whole morning scene, during which Alex geeked out over actually having a girlfriend — not to mention one that was wearing her t-shirt in her apartment while she made her coffee — had me grinning like a fool. The scene was so simple, but so beautiful and real. Sure, I was bummed when Alex brushed Maggie off at the DEO, but Alex is working through a process, and I knew that Maggie would forgive her. Sure enough, we were given that heartbreaking follow-up scene where Alex admitted to inexplicably rebelling against the universe allowing her to be happy (which is far too relatable a concept). I also love that Maggie now knows Kara is Supergirl — and that they finally addressed the futility of those glasses.

GRRRRRR-DIAN | Still in the dark about James and Winn’s extracurricular activities, Kara’s current feelings about Guardian hover somewhere between “annoyed” and “concerned,” while mine are more inclined to bend towards “bored.” Guardian is a cool hero with a lot of potential, but I’m not sure it’ll be fully realized until he’s allowed to fight side-by-side with Kara. Right now, it just feels like there are two superhero shows happening at the same time — and only one involves action-packed battles on alien planets. Oh, speaking of which…

WE NEED TO TALK ABOUT JOE | No offense to Clark, Maggie and Mon-El, but Joe the Alien just bumped them all out of the running for my favorite new addition to this show. With Mon-El and Winn both moving into hero territory, Supergirl will need a solid source of comic relief, so I really hope he sticks around. I’m obsessed.

OK, let’s hear your thoughts on this episode: Did Alex and Maggie break your heart? Did you feel Kara and Mon-El’s charm? And how on board with a Joe spinoff are you? Whatever’s on your mind, drop it in a comment below.

1. Nicole Recchia says:

Loved it but enough of mon el being shoved down our throats. Sanvers was awesome and the danver sisters are the heart of the show. Loved this ep all from Sanvers and Danvers. Drop mon el and give us Lena

• YTKylie says:

Enough already with you tumblr fans girls who think every strong female character ought to be a lesbian. I really hope the writers pay no attention to all this craziness.

• Big S says:

Couldn’t agree more. I understand having more LGBT rep on tv, but stop the incessant need to make every new female lead gay. Most of the time, its done just because of fan pressure and not because it better serves the story. Alex being gay works because it really fits the narrative. But doing that with Kara wouldnt be genuine and just feel like a copout for the twitter and tumblr fangirls.

• glenda says:

God forbid those fangirls get the representation they deserve. What you call craziness they call pain

Dude, these people are actually DESPERATE for good lesbian representation because there isn’t any. Have you actually stopped and tried to understand why they are so eager? Probably not because you are straight and have no idea what it feels like to never be able relate to anything on TV. 99% of TV couples on TV is straight. Is that not enough for you??? Do you really need more? Let them be.

• Jami says:

I am a lesbian, love Alex/Maggie. I don’t want SG to be gay. I love Kara and Mon-El.

2. Jason says:

am I the only one that feels more brother/sister vibes from kara/mon-el than anything romantic? Their chemistry to me feels familial. I wish thats where it would stay instead of going romantic

• Josh says:

Kara has more sexual chemistry with Lena

• Mary says:

Yeah, especially since she’s already linked her helping him to the chance that she was supposed to have had to guide Kal’El when they got to Earth but missed out on.

• Nicole Recchia says:

I can’t stand him with her. More Lena

• Agent 86 says:

I agree. It definitely comes across more like a big sister / little brother relationship. But, it’s ever so slightly more chemistry than Kara ever shared with Jimmy, so I guess it’s a move in the right direction. The chemistry between Kara and Lena is far stronger, but a bisexual female lead and two lesbian couples is probably a bit much to hope for.

Sooner or later, they should introduce Brainiac 5 and when casting the role they’ll really need to ensure that there are on-screen sparks between the actor and Melissa Benoist.

• Sarah says:

Too me that have a LOT of chemistry

• Jhas says:

It’s not only you…me too. I don’t like Mon-El as Kara’s romantic partner. A brother/sister vibe would be more I like it.

• YTKylie says:

It’s funny how people see what they want to see….there’s no brother/sister vibe btwn Kara and Mon El…even if there was, it does not make them actual brother and sister. The feelings they harbor for each other are more than that of siblings. Kara and Mon El need to happen because this is the first character (besides Barry) that Kara has actually had chemistry with.

• Danny123 says:

I feel you. Hated this episode. Too much focus on Mon el and Kara keep being forced on us. I hope he’s not in the next season.

• emara says:

I don’t agree. I see a lot of romantic chemistry between Kara and Mon-El, and I am loving them together and the potential for a relationship. Bring it on!

• Sonyie says:

I agree. They Mon-el and Kara seem more like brother and sister. He seems like a annoying little brother

3. Lauren says:

Joe is my favorite.

4. kelly says:

LOVE KARAMEL AND MON EL SO MUCH THEY ARE ADORABLE!

5. Mary says:

Alex and Maggie didn’t break my heart because they were adorable. Not surprising that Maggie would figure out that the only reason that Alex was freaking out about Supergirl being missing was because Supergirl is her sister. Now I’m looking forward to Maggie actually becoming better acquainted with Kara.

I’m glad that it was Alex who helped get Winn past his fear and pushed him into helping save Kara. And he got to do more instead of sitting in the DEO or in a van.

And it was great to see Kara pushing to get her story approved by Snapper.

Still not getting into the Guardian, even more so now if Mon-El is going to be getting into the hero business. Getting to be too many. Also not like Kara and Mon-El as a couple since he’s still hiding a lot from her and just in general not happy about it.

6. Diggory says:

I actually really like Mon-El

7. Sheldon W. says:

Fun ep, but did no one notice that the tall, skinny green alien had a big red dot on its forehead?????

Supergirl’s universe seems to have Dominators!

8. herman1959 says:

I really liked this episode. It was like a combination of Supergirl, Star Trek, and The Flash. I’m looking forward to find what the deal is with Mon-El, because one of the “bad’ aliens greeted him like he was royalty or a god. I don’t know what “Joe” is going to do on Earth though.

• DAMN says:

I don’t think Mon-El is the prince of Daxam, its too obvious. Like why would a Dominator bow to the prince of Daxam?

I feel like they’re going to throw a twist in there.
      I believe he is some sort of high command/royalty just not the prince of Daxam.

• herman1959 says:

I’m not up on the Supergirl comics, so I don’t know who the prince of Daxam is, but I know Mon-El is some kind of biggie. I’m having a lot of fun with the show this season.

• Hollie says:

Actually, the reason the alien would bow to Mon-El was because (as he mentioned earlier in the episode) Daxam was a major slave buyer.

• DAMN says:

If the alien guard from the slave trade operation had bowed, I would agree. But it seemed like he didn’t know who Mon-El was as he was about to shoot him. It was the Dominator who stopped the alien from shooting Mon-El and it was the Dominator who bowed.
          Seemed as though the Dominator was simply there to purchase slaves and then leave.

9. Sarah says:

I am over James. He needs to go.

Love Winn

Love Mon-el

I also really liked Joe

But overall I thought that the episode was a little blah. It felt way too rushed with too much going on.

10. Sarah says:

Love Mon-el and KAra together.

11. Chris says:

Sanvers was my favorite, they are officially my favorite LGBT couple ever. Not a Mon El fan I feel like he steals a lot of Supergirl spot light.

• YTKylie says:

How about be honest…u hate him because he’s trying to get between the non-existent Kara/Lena ship.

• Alex says:

Not everything is about romance. Some people actually care about the characters and the storyline. Personally I don’t care who dates whom, I care that I enjoyed Kara being a strong female character and now she is being watered down to babysitting Mon-El and she has no real storyline of her own. The show is supposed to be about Supergirl, but right now it seems to be all about Mon-El and some people are frustrated by that.

12. hal says:

Mon-El has become extremely annoying.

13. ninergrl6 says:

First, no kidding about Charm City. The chemistry between Kara and Mon-El was practically exploding out of my tv. Then again, I think Chris Wood has chemistry with EVERYONE.
    Second, Winn is my favorite. He gets all of the best lines (“Oh my God, it’s Stargate” LOL) and his full-circle arc this ep was great. I have a soft spot for geek-coming-into-his-own storylines

14. Sharon says:

I am not a redshirt! Best Wynn moment of the series.

15. Mark says:

“I am not a red shirt. I am not a red shirt. I am not a red shirt.”

(If that doesn’t make the week’s best lines, there is something seriously wrong with this site.)

16. Red Snapper says:

I really liked the episode. I loved all the Kara/Mon-El scenes, they are adorable together. I like that Mon-El had some personal growth and wants to be a superhero. I hope they don’t wait too much longer to reveal Mon-El’s true past and that when they do they don’t drag out the inevitable fall out for too long. I honestly don’t get how people can’t see the chemistry between them but people see what they want. Speaking of which, for the people talking about a Kara/Lena pairing I’m sorry but it’s not going to happen. I thought Winn and Lena had great chemistry in the few scenes they had together and I would like to see that explored. Alex and Maggie has some good moments even if I thought Alex was being a bit dramatic. I think this show needs a stable couple and they should be it. At this point James and Guardian are just dead weight. They only made him Guardian so he’d have something to do after the failed pairing with Kara. It’s just not working. I am so excited that we are getting Valor (at least a version of him) soon.

• emara says:

Agree with all of this.

I love love LOVE the relationships between Kara & Alex, Kara & Mon-El and Alex & Maggie. The Danvers’ sisters are the heart of the show and anything related to their hopes, fears and hearts is so engaging!

Alex and Kara are each other’s most loved person and they prove it every chapter. I loved them giggling about Alex’s love live.

Sanvers was heartbreaking and wonderful to watch. More of this, please!

Kara and Mon-El together are fun, charming and their romantic chemistry is amazing! Looking forward at whatever will happen with him and all these aliens interested in him. Kara’s reaction to this will be interesting!

The escape from the prison was a bit easy but as this episode was strong in character development that is fine.

I have always find James boring and bland, but this Guardian’s storyline is snoozing. Also he was kind of a jerk to Winn.

Please keep wonderful Winn as “agent Schott”. I love the Alex-Winn sibling chemistry!

And more J’onn and M’gann, please!

I also liked Snapper weird mentoring style and the use of Kara’s reporting skills.

Loving Season 2 of Supergirl!

• jj says:

Yes! A Winn & Lena pairing would be interesting to see play out. And you’re right James/Guardian is dead weight.

17. christopher bee says:

Kudos to the writers room, a lot zingy one-liners. Enjoyed this episode in every aspect.

18. Cordell Garrett says:

I was hoping Kara was going to mention about her trip to Barry’s earth when they showed the Dominator

19. Phun says:

Great episode! Kara does have a heart of a hero! Risking her life to try to save those prisoners even if she didn’t have powers. And Maggie! Proud of your detective skills to figure out that Kara is Supergirl.

20. The Carpooler says:

It was great to have the show back on the air, the break was too long for me! This episode was great. I really like Melissa’s giggle, it’s adorable and very real.

21. Jim says:

The writing on this show hasn’t improved at all. The handling of Alex makes no sense. She went from being a tough, buttkicking character to a giddy schoolgirl ready to neglect her job and responsibilities just because she’s in a relationship.

22. Chris says:

It was a good ep, but tired of Mon-El being everywhere to be honest. I was hoping Supergirl could go on this adventure on her own, because lately she seems to always have some guy constantly “saving” her or helping her, whether it’s the guardian or now Mon-El wanting to be a hero. I wish they would remember that Kara is the hero and the protagonist and stop trying to push Mon-El into almost every scene with her. And I really didn’t see him as heroic – he just stood there and watched her get tortured? Yeah, what a keeper. I get more of a brother/sister vibe with them more then anything. While James and Winn may not have superpowers, at least they always believed in her and tried to protect her even if it put themselves in harms way. Mon-El just seems to want to become a hero to impress Kara to be honest. Sanvers was cute, and I liked watching Alex kick butt and Kara and Alex bonding again – I miss those moments! More of that and less Mon-El would be great.

23. jj says:

Given, Winny works for the DEO, I’d like to see him get a bit of combat training. Also, I know this has been mentioned before, but it’s worth repeating, how is it that people like James & Maggie can just stroll into the DEO? A secret Agency with an open door policy?

24. Reese says:

I liked parts of the episode, but I agree that there is just too much Mon-El now. I liked him in the beginning when he was just the comic relief and part of the group, but now that he has taken over and has pretty much become Kara’s whole storyline I’m just over him. I don’t like that they are trying to force a relationship with them because it seems awkward, and I think this show is focusing too much on relationships in general (don’t get me wrong, I’m glad sanvers is there so that there is representation) but the show will become all about relationships and the plot will suffer. Already Kara’s storyline is suffering because of it because she spends so much time trying to rehabilitate Mon-El that she’s not doing her own thing. So yeah, just wish they would spend less time on the romantic lives with all of them, less time on Mon-El (the show is about Supergirl remember?), develop Maggie, who I didn’t realize was a regular character because it didn’t seem that way, outside of her relationship with Alex (all we really know is that she is a detective and Alex’s girlfriend), give J’onn something to do, and give Kara back her show and a proper independent storyline.

25. Luffy says:

Loved this episode. The whole story was absolutely fun. I personally like the whole Mon-El thing. It’s an interesting contrast between Kara and Mon-El. iLOVED JOE, great potential for his character. Did anyone catch the name of the alien race that was holding the teens hostage ? I feel like there were a couple of Captain America easter eggs Winn looked like he was way wearing a Captain America t-shirt and his van said Star-Spangled and Cap is usually referred to as the Star-Spangled Avenger and James carries a shield so.

26. herman1959 says:

As much as I enjoy Mon-El, I have to agree that he’s getting way too much screen time – showing up uninvited at Kara’s home, job 1 AND job 2 – like some kind of alien stalker. The writers need to do a reveal SOON explaining what his deal is because it’s getting to be irritating.

27. JC1 says:

I enjoyed the episode, and as a Stargate fan I loved Winn’s comment. :) The escape was a bit too easy, and the sunshine in a bottle truck was a bit much, but otherwise a really good episode.
    I personally like Mon-El a lot. Chris Wood is great. And I like their chemistry. I’m just not totally sure how I feel about Kara being paired with someone she’s mentoring though. It kinda feels like the superhero dating the sidekick. I guess we’ll see how it plays out though.
    James is really getting lost in the story though here. Why did they even bother to make him Cat’s replacement if they weren’t going to use that? They could have done the Guardian story just as well, better in fact, if James wasn’t also supposed to be running CatCo.

28. Trystan says:

Alex and Maggie are adorable. Still not sure how I feel about Mon-El. I don’t think the show needs another super hero but I am interested to see what happens when his secret comes out. The Guardian is annoying. Maybe James Olsen should go back to Metropolis. Winn is everything!

29. More JOE says:

Hoping for more of Joe as well. He is kinda stuck on Earth after supergirl destroyed the control panel for the travel portal thing.

30. Jo Jo says:

Supergirl needs Mon-El bring him back. Greatest super couple love story iv seen. Such cemestry. If superman can have lois then supergirl can have MonEl. What would be cool if they had alittle super baby and MonEl was a stays the home dad lol. no for real bring MonEl back it’s not going to be worth watching now. They were great super love couple. He didn’t cramp support girls role as a super hero. He was there if needed. He supported her. Plz bring him back .