Witchblade Reboot NBC Comic Book

Witchblade Reboot in the Works at NBC From Vampire Diaries Showrunner

Time to get that magical bracelet out of storage.

NBC is rebooting Witchblade, the comic-book series that already inspired a short-lived TNT drama, according to The Hollywood Reporter. The new version, which has scored a script commitment from the network, will launch with a pilot written by Vampire Diaries showrunner Caroline Dries; CSI producer Carol Mendelsohn is also on board as an executive producer.

Witchblade centers on Sara Pezzini, a homicide detective who discovers a bracelet that gives her incredible crime-solving abilities. The bracelet — known as the Witchblade — also prepares Sara to fight off supernatural evil. Yancy Butler starred in a TNT adaptation of Witchblade from 2001 to 2002, but that version only lasted for two seasons.

NBC’s recent past with comic-book shows has been spotty: Constantine got the axe after just one season, and their much-hyped Heroes revival fizzled out quickly. But they are debuting the DC Comics comedy Powerless next month, and with Grimm ending later this year, Witchblade might just be the action-packed genre drama the network is seeking to fill the Friday-night gap.

Are you ready for a new take on Witchblade? Hit the comments and share your thoughts on the news.

1. Mary says:

Since Frequency may not get a second season, I say Peyton List as Sara Pezzini.

2. Ian says:

This will depend entirely on casting and the pilot, because neither NBC, nor Dries or Mendelsohn inspire any confidence for me.
    The 2001 tv adaptation hit the mark for me in almost every way, from the tone, to the actors, to the look and storytelling, and it was the biggest shame the show was so short-lived. I really wish this reboot would have been coming from a network like FX, and it’s going to have a lot to live up to in comparison to that first series, but here’s hoping.
    Ugh! This property deserves real vision and love behind it, not a CW writer and broadcast tv restrictions. UGH!

3. Flashrow says:

Smell like mess… Dries writting in TVD is awful

4. Cate says:

I really loved the Yancy Butler Witchblade, it had a few narrative wobbles but was a stylish production. Agree the casting is crucial. I’m no comic book fan, but the images of the comic book have a Sara looking like a sex siren!

• Delirious says:

Yup, I don’t think Pezzini’s classic attire suits modern-day global media… But at least, I hope the actual Witchblade is done more like the comics – looking like organic metal instead of a medieval gauntlet. That made me feel “meh” about it back in the day.

5. Carol says:

I would love a Witchblade reboot.

6. Ian says:

I swear, I’m literally sweating and have the shakes right now, STILL, because of this news.
    I’m gonna be obsessed with the development of this. FML.

7. J.B. says:

I was a fan of the original when it aired on TNT and kind of been hoping for years a reboot would happen. This doesn’t excite me that much though. Shame Yancy Butler’s addiction problems tanked the original series.

8. Temperance says:

Constantine had a pilot issue, combined with the baseless negativity from the religious nutbags gave the show a rocky start. However they quickly fixed the show and by he end it was really pretty good. Matt Ryan as Constantine was excellent. With some good planning and decent scripts, Witchblade could be great entertainment. They should take to the Lucifer people…. they know how to write a great extended plot and awesome characters.

9. DonJuansRecklessDaughter says:

NBC passes on the Cruel Intentions reboot because they had too many shows on their schedule. And now ……. Witchblade???

10. c0rinne says:

Must every new show be a reboot?

11. Rick Katze says:

Just as long as they don’t make the TNT mistake of killing people and then rebooting a second season by beginning and restoring everyone to live. Admittedly I liked the show but they need to be consistent.

12. Sheldon W. says:

I would love to Witchblade rebooted.

The TNT series would likely have had a longer run if its star hadn’t had some personal issues that prevented it from going forward after season two. Neither the show’s ratings nor its quality could be faulted – so NBC will need to produce a top flight take.

13. Becks says:

Caroline Dries? LOL NOPE.

14. partisan says:

I’d feel a lot better about this if it were on CW or better yet Showtime. NBC is a death sentence for a show like this.

15. Jami says:

The Chic that plays Octavia (Maria Averlogosa) spelled wrong. on The 100 would be perfect. There is a reason Peyton List is a show killer.

16. ss says:

I am so excited! I really enjoyed the first one.

17. aveburygirl says:

Shouldn’t have cancelled it in the first place. They should have helped Yancy.

18. Maryann says: