Grimm Recap Season 6 Episode 3 Nick Becomes Renard

Grimm Recap: And For My Next Trick, I'll Pull a Renard Out of a Hat

Need to catch up? Check out the previous Grimm recap here.

If this week’s Grimm has a lesson to impart, it’s that even when you’re fighting heinous evil, there’s always time for a little slapstick.

While the supernatural drama doesn’t go full Three Stooges on us in “Oh Captain, My Captain” — there is, after all, a power-hungry mayor-elect to take down — it certainly saved its zaniest installment in recent memory for star David Giuntoli to direct.

It’s a little silly, sure, but it’s also fun to see Grimm ham it up a little in its final season. Plus, there’s a Renard-on-Renard fight! Read on for the highlights of this week’s hour.

OLD HAT | While the gang hides out in the Spice Shop basement and Renard tells Adalind to get with the program quickly, Nick and Eve head back to the tunnels to return the stick and cloth to its hiding place. But it’s a tough decision for the Grimm. “I didn’t wanna put it back,” he admits. “It felt like I needed it.” Eve pulls off the non sequitur of the evening when she pivots to, “You love Adalind.” He doesn’t answer either way, instead asking why she’s asking. “I’m not,” she says flatly. “I can feel it.”

Nick’s zombie hearing — oh, yeah! Remember that? — kicks in for a minute and he fears that they’ve got company, but it’s just Hank and Wu, fresh from handing in their resignation letters at the precinct. (Wu almost Neanders out on the captain, but Hank pulls him back from the brink.)

By the time the four of them are done talking, Nick has a new plan: Become Renard, in a bid to make the captain do their bidding. “I have no idea what you’re talking about,” Wu says, “but I think I like it.”

TWO RENARDS, NO WAITING | Speaking of Mr. Mayor-Elect, he pulls a Wesen officer named Grossante into his office and tasks him with killing Jeremiah, the campaign worker who’s attempting to blackmail Renard about Rachel’s murder. But when the killing goes down, Grossante’s vigorous throat-tearing-out accidentally splatters some blood on Renard’s shirt. So the royal bastard goes back home to change… at exactly the same time Monroe is there, collecting some of the captain’s hair and clothes for a redux of the witches’ hat spell.

You remember the hat spell? The one that Adalind used to impersonate Juliette in order to get Nick’s… essence? And also Eve used it to become Renard? Anyway, Monroe lays low while Renard is in the room, then sneaks out to deliver the goods to the Spice Shop. Though no one knows exactly what will happen when a Grimm inhales the magic smoke through the witchy funnel, it doesn’t stop Burkhardt from stepping up and taking a few deep sniffs (while wearing only his boxers, of course — and tell me you didn’t crack a smile at his awkward disrobing in front of the group).

The spell doesn’t seem like it worked, and then it REALLY does. Nick moans. Nick writhes in agony. Nick does a slow-motion worm against the floor, then stands up… and he’s Renard. Except he’s fully wogue’d. But after Rosalee walks him through a few deep breaths, ReNick gets himself under control and returns to human form. (Bravo, by the way, to Sasha Roiz, who has absolutely nailed Giuntoli’s Nick inflections and mannerisms.)

DOUBLE OR NOTHING | While Adalind literally trips over herself keeping Original Flavor Renard at the mansion until the evening news comes on, as Nick instructed, ReNick goes on the local NBC affiliate and announces that he is abdicating the mayor’s office. What’s more, he says the hunt for Det. Burkhardt was an undercover investigation “staged to bring the real killer to justice” and congratulates the Grimm on a job well done. Guys, Real Renard is SO MAD when he sees it.

There’s a lot more craziness when both Renards converge upon the police station, but eventually they both wind up on the roof of Nick’s loft, where they beat the poo out of each other with no end in sight. Eventually, they tire and reluctantly make a pact: O.G. Renard will blame the North Precinct attack on Bonaparte and use his interest in personally handling the investigation as his reason for abandoning the mayor’s office. Also, Nick, Hank and Wu will get their jobs back, Renard will have shared custody of Diana, “and Adalind comes with me,” ReNick finishes. “Eh, take her,” Renard 1.0 replies. (Heh.)

“Just remember,” the captain adds as he leaves, “Diana loves her daddy, and she would hate it if anything bad would happen to him.”

DADDY ISSUES | And that’s borne out when ReNick returns to the Spice Shop, meeting up with Adalind and the kids (who snuck there while the fight was going on). As the group laments that Nick might be stuck in this new body forever — because he should’ve un-Renarded by now — Diana wakes from a nap, puts her hand on ReNick’s chest and angrily announces, “You’re not my daddy!” She then uses her powers to toss him into the next room, where he quickly turns back into Plain Ol’ Nick. And when Diana sees her mother and Nick lovingly embrace, she doesn’t like it at all.

HELLO AGAIN | As if Renard’s day weren’t bad enough already, he goes home to find someone in his room: It’s Meisner. “I tried to tell you,” the dead man says. “You chose the wrong side, Sean.”

1. D says:

Eek, getting excited to see how this all ends. I’m definitely worried about the side effects of what Nick did, but they already explored the option where he wasn’t a Grimm anymore so I feel like they wouldn’t do that again. Also loving that Juliette/Eve picked up on his being in love with Adaline, was starting to worry that they would pull a HIMYM and have him swap again but this gives me hope! Now it’s just time for him to actually tell Adalind!

• Jacob says:

Yea I think there probably saving the l word for a really emotional scene and I loved how when eve talked about it as well it was more a statement of fact

2. Rubin says:

Best show on tv you ask me

3. Jason says:

I really hope Diana doesn’t become to much of a wedge between Adalind and Nick. I’d really like to see Eve and Adalind come together in order to get Diana under control. What a great turn in would be to see these two powerful women bond instead of getting sucked into a love triangle.

• D says:

That would be kind of amazing. I hope this is what happens and that they don’t try to another big battle between the two…again

• skyebright8 says:

Agree Eve asked Adiland’s advice with the spell, it would be nice if she accepted Adiland and Nick’s relationship and tried to help Adiland remove the ring spell and look after Diana

• Liz says:

Would you really accept that if it was you? I think it would be weird if she did just drop it and nick and adalind pretended like they had a great relationship especially without even a chat.

• Bitsie Tulloch already finished eating, but Claire Coffee hasn’t, so, there’s hope.

• Jacob says:

Yea that would be so much better original as well like the hole idea of Nick and adalind in the first place instead of becoming a love triangle they expect the way things are and bound and I think we got a taste of that this episode. Eve clearly likes Nick (and I do mean eve not Juliet) but she was the one who told Nick he was in love with adalind it wasn’t even a question it was a statement of fact I really think she expects that Nick loves adalind and if eve and adalind do become friends I think it would be the perfect pay of for the eve character.
      As for Diana I’m hoping she understand that it would be wrong to kill Nick they should tell her it would make her brother sad I think she should expect that.

4. Susan says:

Grimm was so good tonight. Loved it. Grimm is definitely my favorite show.

5. queensgirl says:

In the words of one Eleanor Shellstrop, “it was forking awesome.” :) (And, um, I hate to do this, but it’s “non-sequitur.”)

6. Fans fan says:

Am i the only one who still hates Adiland? I can t stand her. She only loves Nick because he is the most powerful of her baby daddies. she will turn back evil any second now spilling everyone’s secrets

• Jacob says:

Yes I think you are from what I can tell but there’s nothing wrong with that we’re all entitled to our opinion

• Stargazer says:

I don’t much care for her either!!! I want Nick and Juliet together again!!!

• D.H. says:

I think Adalind is for her first time in life, feeling real love. She was scared out of her wits when her powers returned. Bcuz of her love for Nick, she found courage to be honest with him. Her strength only made Nick realize just how deeply he feels for her. Even Eve can feel it.

• Alichat says:

You are not alone. I’ve never liked Adalind. And this romantic relationship with Nick disgusts me.

7. csg says:

Grimm is such fun to watch. I love surprises like the use of Diana’s anger to release Nick from his Renard spell and the reappearance of Meisner. Renard & Adalind were on a roll in this episode. And Diana becomes the potential villain to watch, Great job by the new Director, too.

8. TvPeong says:

Do you think Meisner is alive? Or just Renard’s guilt manifesting itself?

9. Sabrina Lee says:

Can we please talk about Meisner?! I thought he was dead??

10. Diane says:

I was truly surprised to see Meisner, always liked him.

11. Patricia Keller says:

I was completely engrossed with this episode I was so saddened of misener’s death. I was
    Speechless to see him again. Is he back? Great episode I 💘 this program.

12. D.H. says:

Did anyone else notice Nick now has 3 witches on team grimm? Eve, who sports that black leather then there is Roselle, wearing the white blouse and finally my favorite,Adalind always in grey.

13. D.H. says:

My guess about the stick. It’s power comes from the soul of it’s controller. That is why there was purity in eve for the death grip. Nick doesn’t need the stick, the stick needs Nick.And it will consume him to an unpredictable end. Or so I hope.

14. I seem to recall Monroe taking the red tie from the closet, at least before he went back in to hide.

The whole red tie/blue tie had to be the cheapest doppelganger clothing gimmick ever used.

15. Miss O'Ginny says:

Yes! I called it after episode 1: Diana would be able to “see” her real father. That girl is super creepy with her innocent sounding voice but all knowing eyes. When is Kelly’s powers going to manifest? Will he just wake up the morning of the finale for an epic battle with his half-sister?

• D.H. says:

I read that there was suppose to be a time jump somewhere in the season, maybe they’ll show us then what Kelly can do as a Heximm.

16. Rambling Joe says:

Small error correction: Nick’s ‘super-hearing’ isn’t related to his ‘zombie’ experience but the time he lost his sight, and his other “Grimm Senses” became activated.

I’m not sure I like Nick and Adalind together either. I preferred Nick and Juliette, but that bridge was crossed and burnt when she was complicit in the murder of Nick’s mom.

I wasn’t sure that was Meisner or just an hallucination. It could be Grossante, and Renard just imagines it to be Meisner. It could be Meisner had some kind of protection spell placed on him that Trubel wasn’t aware of, and he has actually comeback to life.

Love this show. I’m even missing the reruns that TNT used to show!

17. Kiwi3 says:

So bitter this show is ending!

18. Haylscat says:

As much as the trope of characters not staying dead can lower the stakes in a show, I really hope Meisner is legitimately back. Love him!
    Also, I have been waiting since season 1 for smarmy Renard to just own it and be the legit villain, instead of a wishy washy frienemy, and have been really happy that they finally went there. Despite the murder of Jeremiah (who they specifically made kind of skeevy so we wouldn’t care as much), the truce with Nick made it feel like they might be backing off him as big bad. I hope not.

19. Jake says:

Love the show, but just to nitpick a bit, wouldn’t it have made more sense for Nick as the Captain to rob a bank or do something equally as bad on camera, thus making it impossible for the corrupt judge to dismiss the charges? Then they would be rid of Renard for good.
    Regardless, still the best show on TV.

20. Just have to second the comment about Sasha Ruiz nailing “Nick’s” mannerisms and way of speaking. He nailed it! I’ll be sad to see this show end. I enjoyed the Nick/Munroe friendship early on, and Wu became a favourite over time.