SPEECHLESS Ratings

Ratings: Speechless Tops Wednesday; Blindspot Dips to New Lows

ABC’s Speechless this Wednesday drew 5.4 million total viewers and a 1.6 rating, slipping two tenths in the demo week-to-week yet topping the night in that measure.

Opening the network’s night, a special Fresh off the Boat (5.5 mil/1.5) rose 41 and 25 percent from its Tuesday outing, scoring a best-since-premiere rating. Leading out of a Modern Family rerun, black-ish (4.6 mil/1.5) slipped 19 percent and two tenths. A tear-jerking Match Game (3.5 mil/1.0) was down 16 percent and a tenth.

Over on NBC, Blindspot (4.7 mil/0.9) dipped to new series lows, while SVU (6.4 mil/1.4) and Chicago PD (6.9 mil/1.5) were steady in the demo, with the latter drawing a season’s best audience (for a Wednesday outing).

CBS’ Undercover Boss (5.9 mil/1.1) was steady, while the People’s Choice Awards (6.7 mil/1.2) added eyeballs versus last year yet dipped a tenth in the demo.

Fox’s Lethal Weapon (6.3 mil/1.4) was steady, Star (4 mil/1.2) slipped two tenths.

The CW’s penultimate Frequency (780K/0.2) was flat.

1. Ian says:

I wish I could be mad that Blindspot is flagging, but I guess that’s the point. If it was worth caring about, it’d be doing better. All the character storylines are a lazy, WTF soapy mess; Weller’s a man whore; and the procedural element is hit or miss.

• Katherine215 says:

I completely agree. I loved the first season, but this season has been a hot mess. They took the best part of season one (the team unit) and blew it up and are apparently shocked that fans hated it. And don’t get me started on the bizarre creepiness that was Weller and Nas. Much as I like Archie Punjabi, that character is weird and out of place.

• KLS says:

I agree. Season 1A was interesting, but then it went off the rails a little in 1B. This season is a mess. Seems like they are jamming in too many stories, yet not getting anywhere (if that’s possible). Punjabi seems wasted here. Patterson is still the best character/actress. Not sure if it will survive to Season 3. A wasted opportunity.

• Kathy H. says:

I agree 100%! This show started out great and then it started tanking! It makes no sense and I hate how Weller’s character has developed.

• LADY_in_MD says:

Totally agree this whole story line with Weller and Nas and the baby momma plus Roman and the Mom wish they stuck to solving the tattoos

• ndixit says:

How is Weller a man whore? He’s sleep with what….two women in two years? How does that make him a man whore? I do agree that his storylines with the baby and Nas were completely forced and pointless.

• Clau says:

Yeah. First he didn’t like OR trust Nas and then they go out of town, decide to have sex and suddenly are a thing? Even though he heard after the deed that Nas was bugging HQ.
        That makes as much sense as turning left when you need to go right.

2. Gena says:

Yay! :)

That was a really good episode, too — though I found it more sweet than LOL funny, I thought it did a lovely job of using two fairly stock sitcom plots (family gets sick, big brother goes into protective mode when little sister is crushing on a boy) to explore the family members’ roles and somewhat deepen their relationships with one another. Especially loved the stuff with Maya and Jimmy (and I cannot wait to see what they might do for a Valentine’s Day episode). <3

• opus says:

Yay! to what. I am so tired of people not mentioning what show they are referring to, particularly when this article is about the ratings of ALL of the night’s network shows!

3. Serviver says:

I love Speechless, it’s my favourite of all the new shows this season. So glad it’s doing well.

Match Game didn’t record for me last night. How was it tear-jerking?

4. Iakovos says:

The WED 8 time slot does BLINDSPOT no favors. I understand wanting to launch behind THE VOICE but let a show stay put. Seems many of these densely conspiracy-type plotted series (another example QUANTICO) suffer sophomore slumps. I find them dull after a while with all the aimless twists and turns. Shore up BLINDSPOT and try again later. TIMELESS is more suited for the earlier run. Maybe it may find an audience there as it might have broader appeal among teens and kids.

• The Everyday Mom Life says:

So agree! Put Blindspot back on at 9 CST when kids are in bed and move Timeless to the earlier spot. I’d watch that with my kids. Blindspot is a show for when they are in bed. I can’t believe NBC can’t see this.

5. Brian says:

Go Speechless! Really enjoying this show.

6. kmw says:

Poor Blindspot. I knew that move was going to hurt them and it sure has. Right now Laura had more viewers and her demo was better. Good for Lethal Weapon to stay steady this is an easy renewal for FOX. Star on the other hand is anything but, still better than what most of FOX does but not good numbers for new show.

7. JScout says:

Don’t watch Match Game. Darn, missed a tear-jerking episode. Thanks, Matt.

8. Kailani says:

I stopped watching Blindspot 2 weeks ago. They just keep going in the same circles. It’s become totally boring.

9. Boiler says:

Ah did anyone ask NBC at the TCA if they regretted cancelling Mysteries of Laura?? If not you should have.

10. Jake L. says:

How did the ratings for Fresh compare to what The Goldbergs normally does in that slot?

11. Carlos Lee says:

I loved the 1st season of Blindspot. This season is just okay. Plot is bland.

12. B says:

Speechless is a real gem. I love it.

13. Paula says:

(After The Middle) Fresh Off the Boat is the most endearing and consistently funny sitcom on TV! Both shows also feature the best, most talented and likeable casts.

14. sweetrupturedlight says:

I’m so whatever about Blindspot. This was my fave show in its first season, but the writers dismantled everything fans loved about the show. Kurt sleeping with a superior, Kurt impregnating his ex, Kurt not making any attempt to hear Jane’s side of the story (which was ridiculous considering the set up of their relationship in the first season), the team literally freezing her out for episodes on end, leaving Jane as a really sad, defeated character. Zapata is hypocritical af and the fun tattoo cases which were farfetched but added to the appeal of the show all but disappeared. The show became joyless and frustrating. Now Borden is the mole – no twist there since they used the old “he speaks arabic therefore terrorist” trope and Roman is literally Jane 2.0. I love Sullivan from his work on strikeback, but I think this show lost a lot of their viewers who really are not coming back, irrespective of the night they’re on. The television landscape is too crowded and once you start serving BS, there are other options on the menu.