Ratings: Gotham Returns Up, Timeless Hits Lows Minus Voice Lead-In

Fox’s Gotham returned on Monday night to 3.7 million total viewers and a 1.2 demo rating (per finals), up 9 and 20 percent from its fall finale to hit and match best-since-premiere numbers.

Leading out of that, Lucifer (4 mil/1.1) was steady with its own midseason opener.

Over on NBC, Celeb Apprentice (4.3 mil/1.2) ticked up 10 percent and a tenth. With a new lead-in that does about half of what The Voice did, Timeless (3.45 mil/0.9) returned down 27 percent and a tenth, hitting new lows.

ABC’s Bachelor (7.1 mil/2.3) rose 9 and 12 percent, Big Fan (3 mil/1.0) was steady.

CBS’ Kevin Can Wait (8.7 mil/1.7) and Man With a Plan (7.7 mil/1.5) each gained three tenths, 2 Broke Girls (6.4 mil/1.5) rose two tenths and The Odd Couple (5.6 mil/1.1) ticked up. Scorpion (7.8 mil/1.2) hit a 15-week audience high (since Oct. 3) while steady in the demo.

1. ndixit says:

Bye bye Timeless. It was nice knowing you.

2. Kevin says:

Great to see the return of Timeless after a month long hiatus but I don’t know why people literally gave up on the show. Looks like a Season 2 renewal is out of the question.

• wrstlgirl says:

For me personally I got bored. Plus I really love Scorpion.

• How many episodes before you gave up?

• Kevin says:

Looks like Scorpion is going to topped the 10 pm Monday night time slot for the rest of the season but who knows if Quantico is up for the challenge starting next week on its new night (from Sundays to Mondays).

• wrstlgirl says:

People are really weird about Quantico. They either really love it or really hate it. But what I find amusing is they keep watching it even though they have nothing good to say about it, lol.

• Bwine says:

I’m one of those people that really hates it, and I think it’s because when it first started, I really liked it a lot, but as season one wore on, I got more and more frustrated with the flashbacks. I would be so into when they were in the present, but then they’d flashback, and all the action would come to a screeching halt. Eventually, I just got sick of it and stopped watching so I think a lot of people who really hate it are just super frustrated, because they used to like the show, but the dang flashbacks just ruined it. The flashbacks were fine for the first 8 or 9 episodes, but to keep them going for an entire season was just stupid!!

Omg, this show really does do something to people. I don’t even watch it anymore, but I’m getting pissed off just thinking about it. Smh

• Alex Jones says:

they’ll be dropping the flashbacks in a few episodes time.

• wrstlgirl says:

LOL, to funny. I quit watching s1 because I just thought the story was just ridiculous and was all over the place. Then when they cast Russel Tovey I tried again s2 but only made it to ep 2.

3. I don’t understand the ratings for Timeless. Twitter was humming and trending at #3 (15K+ tweets) last night while the show was airing. There are 3600+ members on a very active Facebook group I belong to. These are passionate fans. What a shame.

4. Alichat says:

That’s disheartening news about Timeless. I love that show. I would love for it to find another home if it’s not renewed by NBC.

• Kari says:

Isn’t it mindboggling that the ratings are getting lower? During the hiatus, I was seeing new fans posting on Twitter, Facebook, etc. There was such excitement for it to return and see what happened to Lucy. Last night’s ratings were solely based on Nielsen households?

• Kevin says:

The reason why the numbers for Timeless was so low is because of the Celebrity Apprentice lead-in and without The Voice.

• Kari says:

That may be true for new viewers. But I saw a ton of passionate fans who were thrilled it was back, who aren’t bored by the show and re-watch on the NBC app regularly. It’s crazy ratings for a show are determined by 10,000 Nielsen households. This show has an active following in Europe, too.

• wrstlgirl says:

Well it was watched by 3.5 mil but that’s pretty low in TV land.

• Alichat says:

Your Nielsen statement is correct. That whole process is crazy. I am curious to know the DVR numbers for Timeless. There are some shows that get big bumps with the DVR numbers.

• ScottJ says:

I’ve never believed the “lead-in” theory. It implies people don’t know how to look up schedules, change channel or turn off the TV. I suppose some might leave the TV on where it is because there’s nothing else they want to watch, but that’s not the same thing as actively watching a show. If it is indeed a significant factor then I’d expect it be changing rapidly with so many other viewing options becoming available.

5. Katherine215 says:

Bummed Timeless is so low. I’m really enjoying it for its humor and all of the different time periods. I love time travel shows, and this one certainly doesn’t have a mythology that’s difficult to follow (actually the one thing I probably am most disappointed about), but it’s a cute show and I enjoy it and will be bummed if it doesn’t get renewed.

6. Judith Armstrong says:

I used to love Scorpion as well, until it became the Walter/Paige show and will they or won’t they. Gave it up about 3 episodes ago. Agree that Timeless is very boring and the actors are not the greatest in the world. Monday night is catching up on DVR night now.

• Kari says:

Just curious how many episodes you watched before you gave up?

• wrstlgirl says:

I agree that the Walter and Paige stuff is getting really old but I absolutely love Happy and Toby. Those two make up for the others shortcomings.

• Judith Armstrong says:

I agree, I did love Toby and Happy and Sylvester too. But too many episodes center around Paige/Walter for me. Found myself doing other things and not really paying attention, so gave it up. As for Timeless, I watched about 5 episodes and it’s just not my cup of tea. If you really want to watch something great, try and catch Victoria on PBS – excellent TV with superb acting all around and it’s only about 6 or 8 episodes.

• Marc says:

The “perils” are getting pretty ridiculous: called in to deal with a problem; plan seems to be working but something goes wrong; all resolved with some improvised solution. I’m still watching, but they need to step up the writing on the weekly cases.

• grazelled says:

On Scorpion it was great watching the original team back together on Monday, something always felt off with Tim in the mix, love Happy and Toby.

I also like Timeless but it was kind of weird/dark episode to come back to after the break.

7. Doug Henning says:

Timeless was so good last night but it gets buried behind the bad Celeb Apprentice with Arnold.. I really liked the story but what’s going to happen to the famous book, “Devil in the White City” ? now.. ha ha.. I love how Timeless plays with events… It would be kinda cool if the show lasts to have them go back to later in history before Harry kills himself and maybe save him…

8. Gerald says:

Gotham and Timeless were both great last night. Loved the Harry Houdini stuff. Hopefully Timeless fans are watching on the PVRs and streaming and it gets a big bump. I admit the celeb apprentice lead in has to be a big drain.
    Surprised people are still watching Nick on the Bachelor.

9. Joey Padron says:

Happy Gotham and Lcuifer got good ratings for new episodes. New episodes of both shows was so good. Sad Timeless got low ratings, new episode was really good.

10. kmw says:

Good night for television except for Timeless. NBC cannot justify renewing it even if its lead in isn’t The Voice. Good for Gotham and Lucifer. Now if they both can come back from their next long break with these numbers that will be good. nothing else a surprise

11. AngelWasHere says:

I like Timeless a lot. It’s a shame the ratings are down. Maybe people forgot about it. I almost did. They need to advertise more.

• wrstlgirl says:

Every time I watch anything on NBC I see Timeless promos. Over and over again. Next week is a western theme I believe :-)

• AngelWasHere says:

Yeah, but I never see commercials for it on other channels like other shows. Anyway….yep next week is western theme with the actor who plays Strand on Fear The Walking Dead. :)

12. totally forgot Timeless was even on.. Please don’t let this show die.. it’s frigging fantastic!

13. herman1959 says:

I’d suggest a time or day change for Timeless, but it may be too late.

14. Ashlee says:

I love timeless. Best show nobody is watching!

15. Caren says:

Timeless finally made it back on air!! Yeah!! So what the Apprentice is on again. Not into watching celebrities fight when reality TV is on other stations.
    Timeless takes history and places the viewer in it as its happening. What’s better than that, listening to disgusting lip action on the Bachelor? No.

16. Dan the critic says:

Timeless is the best new show. Too bad nobody else thinks so.

17. Iakovos says:

TIMELESS is the show that should be at 8 PM WEDNESDAYS. the time travel and history elements appeal more to an early-in-the-evening audience. It is a good show in a bad time slot.

• AngelWasHere says:

Yeah 10pm is rather late for a show like that. I agree.

• ndixit says:

True. There might be a benefit of switching Timeless and Blindspot. Neither show is going to do worse then it already is and Blindspot would benefit from the later timeslot given that is where it had solid ratings last season, while Timeless would benefit from the earlier timeslot. It’s a moot point though.

• tvloverSA says:

It’s as easy as that …as blindspot without the grit and darkness is pretty boring while a time travel show that late sucks.

18. robin says:

I didn’t even know it was back. You have to promote a show like timeless, especially if you take away its lead-in. I love that show. After celebrity apprentice? Ick I wouldn’t turn on the tv unless I remembered.

• KLS says:

NBC gave Timeless 2 promos during their big NFL game on Sunday. Same as This is Us, The Wall, and Powerless. Putting it after CA seems to be a problem.

19. ggny says:

I love how we went from TV 9/2.5 where considered low ratings and now like 3 years later Gotham ratings are the normal

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

There weren’t 454 TV shows three years ago.

• ScottJ says:

Is there any measure of total audience numbers? I’d be interested to know if that’s relatively constant (and spread across the wider number of shows) or if there’s any overall increase or decrease.

• Marc says:

The business models for all of this is unsustainable, unfortunately. DVR viewers skip the ads, so we don’t matter. And, there is a limit to how many subscriptions services one can afford. The “platinum age” of television is going to implode when no outlet has the revenue to pay for significant hours of scripted programming. The only salvation will be that non-DVRable outlets can force people to watch ads. So, that has to be where we are heading. As Chuck Lorre said, “RIP network television.”

20. ToyCannon says:

I am glad to see Gotham’s ratings up. I am starting to worry about its renewal chances.

21. Paul Robinson says:

Wish i could watch but comcast hulu and netflix do not have eposode season 3 eposodes 1 thru …was 7 but as of today is eposode 8 so guess i wont be a viewer and slowly 8910 etc will go away so cheers Gothom

22. lucy says:

Timeless HAVE to stay, at least for a 2nd season! The story deserves to be developed, especially with such interesting characters! Each one of them have the potential to grow on their own and also building the relationship between the three time travellers, that are getting closer and becoming a family. I was very much looking forward to the return and it didn’t disappoint. Don’t you people who don’t like the show can’t at least admit that they learnt something historic during this season? The topics chosen have really been interesting!! Congrats to writers and producers and hoping you are strong enough to keep going!