The Night Of: HBO 'Very Optimistic' About Season 2 Renewal

It appears The Night Of is not calling it a day.

HBO programming president Casey Bloys tells TVLine that series creators Richard Price and Steven Zaillian are currently “trading ideas” on what a potential season 2 will look like, adding that he’s “very optimistic” the duo will “crack” the case.

“They’re going to come to us when they are excited about something,” he adds.

Season 2 would exist in the same world as Season 1, so don’t expect an American Crime-style reset. “I don’t think that we would all of a sudden move to Chicago or another city,” says Bloys, who also confirmed that there would likely be “some overlap” on the casting front.

The exec declined to say which cast members would likely be back, but we’re guessing John Turturro’s John Stone and his feline companion are both locks. (At least they better be.)

1. kirads09 says:

“Some overlap” in casting. More John Turturro PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE – yes, and the cat AND Fisher Stevens as his pharmacist !

2. TvLover says:

I hope that John Turtorro comes back and they bring the cat too. I think the actor was great.
    If, they’re able to have Riz Ahmed for a few episodes that’d be good, although I felt that his storylines was mostly tied up well.
    I’d prefer the focus be on Turtorro’s character anyway.

3. Dennis says:

Bring back the cat!!!

4. Guest says:

Great news…I can’t wait!

5. Jordan says:

After promoting this is as a limited serries and being nominated as one, it’s going to be an Ongoing series? It’s not going to be an anthology series?

6. Yoko says:

Great series that needed to end where it did. Second season not needed.

7. Jim A. says:

HBO is about to make the same mistake that Showtime is making with “The Affair”. Both shows were meant to be one season “events” and the execs fell in love with the revenue that comes with the ratings. The Affair is now headed for a fourth (!) season and has turned into complete nonsense. Like The Affair, The Night Of was a great one season show but I don’t see how it can continue and still be good and I hate to see a great actor like John Turturro mired in the garbage that Dominic West is in over at The Affair.

8. E Grande says:

One big flaw in this series is that Naz did not have any blood splattered on him. You think at the very least the defense would have used this.

9. Deborah Gregory says:

The night of is brilliant. It deserves a second season!

10. George Packo says:

John Turturro should get an Emmy Award for that portrayal please bring him back

11. Tami says:

I’ve binge watched it in one day and it left me wanting more, more, more. Please come back with a second season!!!

12. Hidy says:

I really enjoyed this show. Especially to my surprise how good it turned out and how it ended. The show has a glazed magic over me by just watching the first and last episode. The way it ended.. the way it culminated … flawless in my eyes..

2nd season will take away that ambiguity and all that wonder that makes it so great. Although I am very much in love with the characters, renewing the show to a 2nd season continuing the same case or same characters will take this magic away.

I really want to know the truth from this show, but giving it all to viewe in a 2nd season will just spell out too much and render the 1st season unnecessary.

Perhaps they can build the season on a new case?

Can’t wait though..

13. khadeejiah says:

I don’t know how season 2 will be like, I see naz supplying dope to prison n throwing his career away… season one waz great but it waz annoying how the defence failed to argue that naz had no blood splattered on his body and atleast he would have had scratches infront, and the wall pattern of blood splattered waz clearly showing the actual figure of the killer,.. the defence also failed to argue on the knife, I don’t think a knife used to stabb some one 22 times would still looked new with no dents in front as it waz hitting bones n did not even bend