Girl Meets World Recap

Girl Meets World Recap: London Calling

“We’ve done everything!”

“Wouldn’t it be a sad situation if that were true?”

Maya and Riley’s exchange at the top of Friday’s Girl Meets World — the last episode to air before next week’s series finale — was, to them, just part of another existential crisis being expressed at their ultimate safe space, the bay window. But to the actors themselves, and to the fans watching from home, it meant a whole lot more.

Sure, it’s entirely possible that the show will be picked up by another network or streaming service; creator Michael Jacobs said as much to TVLine, revealing that he’s in “very” early talks to have the Disney Channel sitcom continue elsewhere. But if it’s not, this is the second-to-last episode we’ll ever see — and boy, did it have “second-to-last episode” written all over it.

Spurred by the latest in a long line of personal lessons their “history” teacher, Riley and her friends spent the episode looking to their future, taking all of life’s great unknowns into consideration: Will Riley and Maya always remain friends? Will Riley and Lucas stay together forever? And will Smackle win the Nobel Prize someday? (Just kidding, there’s no question about that last one.)

But none of those questions seemed to matter after the episode’s big bombshell: Topanga’s sudden promotion could send the entire Matthews clan to London. Like, England. (Heck, I didn’t remember that Topanga was a lawyer, so there were two bombshells in it for me!)

Your hopes for next week’s finale? (And the show’s potential future?) Drop ’em in a comment below.

1. Ian says:

LOL.
    So the Angela fans get the last laugh.
    Good riddance, GMW.

• Mike says:

and why do the Angela fans get the last laugh? Shawn’s happily married with an amazing step daughter that just happens to be best friends with his best friends’ kid. So I ask again, how does Angela get the last laugh?

• Ian says:

The show is cancelled, sweetheart.

• ndixit says:

Again, how do Angela fans get the last laugh even with the show ending. No matter if the show ends now or in ten years, the fact is still that Shawn married Katy.

• Ian says:

Then why am I and black twitter laughing?
            It doesn’t feel like it matters that he’s married to Katy. All that matters is how satisfying it feels the show GOT CANCELLED. Feels vindicating :)

• ndixit says:

@Ian Because crazy people tend to behave in a crazy manner. So that laughter is more symptomatic of your unhinged state of mind.

• Mike says:

If you’re talking about Trina. If she had wanted back in, she would have been there for more than one episoe. So she obviously doesn’t care. She hasn’t done much of any acting in the past decade if you look at her imdb resume. I think you’re assuming she somehow got shut out from being on the show.

• Ian says:

You know nothing. Perhaps do a bit more research on the controversy and Trina’s statements.
            Also, the rest of the original cast were hardly doing much acting either.

• Fan says:

I try not to wish bad things on people, but I TRULY hope a show you love is cancelled so others can be happy about it. Would serve you right

• Leigh says:

Really struggling to understand what “Black Twitter” has to do with this. Or why you feel vindicated for any reason. I’m sure you’re someone who thinks Angela isn’t on the show just because she’s black and Disney is racist.

• Jason says:

I am in black twitter and can tell you not one person is sweating girl meets world. Act like an adult

• yay says:

Yep we are all laughing. Shawn and Katy getting married was weird to say the least. That alone earned its cancellation.

• Andrew Hass says:

Well then i hope one of your favorite shows gets cancelled and people can celebrate?Plus blame BMW because when that series ended Shawn and Angela were not together.As for Girl Meets World and Topanga’s job offer i think she’ll turn it down for her family’s sake.Plus when BMW ended Topango got an offer to move to New York and so maybe it’s kind of fitting that GMW ends sort of the same way

• lrdslvrhnd says:

Not to feed the troll, but… d’you know what would’ve happened if Shawn had married Angela? She would’ve shown up even less than Shawn did (So, maybe, once… OH WAIT, THAT’S HOW OFTEN SHE SHOWED UP ANYWAY) and it wouldn’t have made a single iota of difference on the show.
      OK, maybe she would’ve shown up twice, counting the probable appearance in the finale she would’ve gotten. But still. Not one tiny little jot or tittle of difference in the show itself, other than Maya wouldn’t have an awesome stepfather.

2. A. D. says:

Please save this show!

3. Fan says:

Do NOT separate Riley & Maya to end this series!!!!!!

Do NOT end this series!

That is all…..

• Cassie says:

They go to London and Shawn/Katy/Maya follows. Just like when they went to New York for the BMW finale. :)

• Fan says:

If they HAVE to leave the gang in NYC, yours is the only way I will be happy with the end. Cory & Shawn, Cory & Topanga, and Riley & Maya FOR-EVAH!!!

4. Jennifer says:

I’m upset. I love watching this show with my daughter. It makes me remember how much I love being a kid watching BMW. I was hoping it would last just as long as BMW.

5. Rene Beccaris says:

Don’t let the show end please pick it up on Netflix or hulu

6. datdudemurphy says:

Ouch….right in the feels.
    Man, at this rate it’s hard to believe that any of the cast were shocked about the cancellation news. I haven’t seen the final episode, but this reeks of Disney saying “we don’t want anyone else to play with our toy”

7. Well…just proves nothing last forever. So…if Riley moves to London…will the show split in two?….some episodes in London and some in the States?.

8. Jake L. says:

It’s worth noting that this is exactly how they ended Boy Meets World: Topanga gets a job offer in New York, which led to their move from Philly. And, now, the same.

9. Roman says:

Don’t cancel the show, it’s a good positive shown for young people just as Boyou meets world, if you are going to cancel it thenow start a new one of “Boy Meets World with the kids on the show already, Corey and Topangas Son, that could be the New Boy Meets World and Corey and Topanga are the parents in the show already, a spin off . Us fans luv the show and want it to continue, Boy meets world

10. PEACHES says:

its really a shae they ended gmw but u beleive its gonna come back in fact i know it is……

11. Sonja YERTA says:

I loved Boys Meets World when I was growing up and me and my kids love watching Girl Meets World. Its absolutely one of the best shows out there. Wholesome real world issues for “kids”. I’d love to see it continue somewhere even if it means paying for access to it.

12. Jim says:

Listen, universe. 2016 sucked. You owe us one. Let this show find a home!

13. Dan Char says:

That was a sad episode for all the right reasons… Hope to see a 4 season somewhere… 😕

14. Leslie says:

I want to see 10-15 yrs later. I want to see Lucas and Riley with a family and Maya and Josh with a family. That makes them all family!) Their kids are starting school together cause lets face it, I don’t Invision ones kid going into anothers window and meeting their new best friend who’s parents already know each other 10-15 yrs from now. Plus, “Times are a changin’! (Insert Corey Matthew’s voice here) I’m 38 yrs old and I grew up with boy meets world. This spin off has brought me so much joy and I fell in love with this complimentary cast. It will always hold a special part. You will be greatly missed!!

15. Tadriana says:

Well first of all I would like to meet the characters in person and Lucas is s o cute

16. Tadriana says:

I really think that this sucks is Riley moving away from her best friend Maya I love your style

17. Christy Owens says:

This show must continue! It’s wholesome and in this unique way it stands apart and above any other show marketed for said audience. It doesn’t focus on shallow exteriors that society teaches us. It has morality and true teaching.

18. Wade says:

i feel not being on Disney channel is good news for writing it great writing for the Disney channel but you can see there fingerprint at the unfunny part. but my hopes are they are pick up by another channel or netflix/hulu and they write off Smackle cuz she really ruined Farkle.