Grey's Anatomy Japril the Sequel

Grey's Greenlights #JaprilTheSequel

Coming soon to a home theater near you: #JapriltheSequel.

Grey’s Anatomy is planning a follow-up to last season’s standalone Jackson/April episode, which was dubbed #JapriltheMovie, Sarah Drew reveals to TVLine. Actually, it’s well beyond the planning stage — the episode’s already been shot and is slated to air in March.

“It’s just the two of us and we go to Montana on a case,” Drew explains. “And we’re forced to face each other and be in small spaces and navigate a whole bunch of stuff together, and it’s a really cool turning point for them in their relationship.”

But don’t expect the follow-up to be a rehash of the original. “It’s very, very different than ‘Japril: The Movie,’ which was like young and youthful and fast moving and we’re traveling through time,” Drew says. “This one has more light and hope in it and it’s much more adult and still and quiet and intimate. It’s really lovely. We’re really proud of it.”

Grey’s Anatomy winter premiere, originally slated for Jan. 19, will now air on Jan. 26. As previously reported, ABC pushed back the return of #TGIT to air a special 20/20 titled America’s First Family: The Trumps Go to Washington.

1. Anne says:

CANNOT WAIT!!!!! Japril rise yesss!!

• Gul says:

Seems like an interesting premise! This, coupled with the introduction of Jackson’s dad, I’m glad Jackson & April’s storyline is picking up pace. I was severely missing them the first half of the season (didn’t help that it’s been a pretty boring season so far overall). I cant help but root for them. Sarah & Jesse have insane chemistry and Japril is the last remaining couple with that kind of potential and fanbase & I think the writers notice this too hence the episode. I hope they are finally set on the path to reconciliation, they’re my last hope from this death/divorce loving show.

2. Christina says:

Japril:The Movie was awful. Japril:The Sequel sounds even worse. Zzzzzzzz

• Jess says:

This. Also it sounds too childish and mehh with the movie and sequel crap. Zzzzz
      Their last movie was promoted everywhere for months and still the lowest rated episode of season 12.

I wish they stop with these kind of episodes. They used to do the same to Calzona too with all the centrics that lead to nowhere.

• Anne says:

Wasn’t a Meredith centered 1308 among the lowest in the series? It’s dumb to bring up ratings when it’s obvious that any episode which only has a subset of the cast, people are bound not to watch. Especially considering how big of a cast greys has. While yeah, they should balance it out more, I can see why they want to rotate cast members giving others a few light weeks from time to time in the 13th season. Greys is still doing great & for people who don’t like Japril, this is actually a good thing isn’t it? You can completely skip an entire ep instead of ff-big through their scenes! Easy. So just do that and let the people who watch for them (& there are plenty) enjoy it.

• Max says:

I already only watch greys through their scenes on youtube so I’m ready to watch a full 43 minutes episodes of my favorite characters.

• Ashly says:

Japril is not everyone’s cup of tea, but they are one of the reasons I still watch especially since this season has been kind of a snoozefest overall. They bring a light and humor to the show that’s sadly missing from the rest of the characters.

3. Jane says:

I love them, I’m excited

4. Lou says:

They are the best couple on the show. I hope they get back together.

5. Mei says:

I AM SCREAMING!!! THEY BETTER RISE!! WE HAVE BEEN SO DEPRIVED OF THEM. For the sake of ridiculous characters like Jo and Deluca.

6. anon says:

Japril the Movie was proof that even when I didn’t love all the scenes (and I’m a shipper!), i liked watching it because Jesse and Sarah are magic together. I’d watch 10 episodes of just them as opposed to Meredith’s 1000000th NDE experience. That being said, I do hope this one really does end on a more hopeful note because last year’s definitely didn’t! even though we got Harriet out of it.

7. Cheryl says:

I can’t wait. I love this couple and am looking forward to the day they become a family again. This episode sounds fantastic. Love me some #Japril

8. Haley says:

Yawn…this sounds like a waste of an episode

9. Ella says:

This sounds so good, they need to get back together.

10. MK says:

Omg I can’t wait!!

11. N says:

12. bigdede says:

Ok, from what I recall last season, the Japril stand alone episode was the lowest rated of the season. I guess their small little fanbase is just very vocal so the writers think that’s what we want.

• Max says:

Who’s “we” exactly? Jackson and April have been characters on this show since season 6. That’s more screentime than half of the current cast. Just because they seem isolated from the Meredith circle, doesn’t mean they don’t have a big following. They do.

• Hannah says:

Nope, the two lowest rated episodes of the season were “Trigger Happy” and “Mama Tried” – both had the same rating.
      I don’t think their fanbase is anywhere near as small as you would like to think.

13. Dominique says:

another one?!! good god and the first one was already so terrible.

14. Iris says:

I didn’t watch this season, but I will probably try this one.

15. Lily says:

can’t wait for the episode!

16. Paddy says:

This actually sounds really good.

17. lea says:

Another one of their movies?? Why?? Another episode to skip I guess. Season 13 is really boring. Centric episodes, nothing happening in storylines, too slow and fillers and Characters all over the place.

18. lana says:

this is a great news, they are the only charathers I love on the show

19. Sara says:

Well this is a crappy news. My two least favorite characters on the show. And they get another episode just the two of them. A week of hiatus in March when it airs for me than LOL.

20. Natalie says:

Ugh…I wish I liked Japril as much as Shonda does, but I don’t.

21. Ashly says:

Yay! Looking forward to this episode! Hoping for some reconciliation.

22. liame says:

This is when Mama Jackson needs to step up and find Jackson something real. Sorry not sorry I’ve never like april.

23. A says:

I stopped watching this show when they broke those two up. They were so cute :(

24. cdeno says:

this is an interesting premise.

So this will be the 3rd centric episode this season where only a few characters are present on screen (13×08 4 characters, 13×10 3 characters (Arizona, Bailey and Jo from what I understand)) and now this episode.

This is a large cast, but it has been for years and the storylines used to involve all the characters better.

Not a fan of these centric episodes less so now that no other series regulars are in the episodes.

25. joseph says:

Noooooooo! i want them both out of Grey’s. Can’t stand them

26. Eric7740 says:

Please break this couple up once and for all!!! They have no chemistry whatsoever!!! April is so needy and whiny!!! She needs to grow up!!! And Jackson is way to attractive for her anyways!!!
    No more Japril!!!

• Max says:

If you base chemistry on attractiveness, I’m not sure you know what chemistry is. Both are beautiful people, it just happens that they also have chemistry in spades.

27. KLS says:

Seems like a lot more shows with ensemble casts are doing these centric episodes which a lot of fans aren’t too crazy about (looking at you TWD).

28. ... says:

Based on that description, is it safe to assume that those of us with no interest in the couple can skip the episode without missing anything? I don’t want to miss out on any major plot points but I personally don’t think I could sit through another episode focused on Japril since it’s just not my thing.

29. Andrew Hass says:

I think been away from Seattle and working together by themselves on a case could help Jackson and April reconnect romantically.Plus if Jackson and April get married again i’m wondering if they take their time planning their wedding and not rush it like they did the first time and where they just ran off to get married.

30. Hannah says:

YES PLEASE! It’s been such a sad Japril drought the first half of the season.

31. Thiago Qirih says:

can’t wait 2 see them,the episode where Jackson eloped with April at the alter remains one of my fav scene in TV,they r so lovely together

32. Mei says:

Barely any Japril the first half of the season, it’s about time they give some scenes.