Shonda Rhimes Reacts Trump Postponement

Shonda Rhimes Mum on #TGIT's Return Getting Bumped for Trump: 'I'm Not in Charge of Scheduling'

Shonda Rhimes, publicly at least, has no opinion on ABC’s decision to push the returns of Grey’s Anatomy, Scandal and How to Get Away With Murder back a week to make room for a Donald Trump pre-inauguration special.

On Monday, the network announced that the official 2017 premiere of its full #TGIT lineup — previously slated for Thursday, Jan. 19 — will now air on Jan. 26, to make way for America’s First Family: The Trumps Go to Washington (airing Jan. 19 at 10/9c, leading out of Grey’s and Scandal repeats).

The change-up was made to ensure that the long-awaited return of #TGIT, Scandal now included, would feature three new episodes.

“I just think that ABC does its programming,” Rhimes told TVLine on Tuesday at the Television Critics Association winter press tour, where she was appearing via satellite. “I’m not in charge of scheduling. I’m fine with whatever they want to do. It has nothing to do with my job. I stay in my lane.

“I honestly don’t have anything to do with programming or scheduling, and don’t pay attention to it or spend very much time caring about it,” she maintained.

When later asked to comment on the phone call she presumably got to inform her of the #TGIT delay, the prolific and highly successful TV producer deferred, “I am not going to comment on conversations I’ve had with my bosses, because I like my job.”

Once again, ABC’s #TGIT slate — Grey’s, Scandal Season 6 and HTGAWM — will now premiere Thursday, Jan. 26.

1. joe says:

The shows were pushed back a week , they didn’t cancel them, and they needed to interview her for this? Wow! like it or not Trump is our president ( I didn’t vote for either one)

2. Eric740 says:

I simply don’t understand why ABC didn’t decide to air this “SPECIAL” on Wednesday at 9 versus Thursday, knowing full well Thursday was already scheduled. Where as Wednesday at 9 would have been perfect, given that Designated Survivor is on break till March!!! Give us our TGIT as regularly scheduled ABC!!!

3. Pedro says:

Trump already ruining our lives.

4. Pia says:

This would have been bumped whoever was elected.

• Pedro says:

Wrong. Lies and speculation. The Clintons know Washington well. The Obamas didn’t bump any programming for a special like this.

• First off, they did. Just last night in fact. Secondly, nobody is lying and speculating anymore than you are because nobody actually knows what would happen. The speculation that there would be a special, however, is much more likely. Hilary would’ve been the first female president. Plus, wouldn’t the fact that she lived in the white house before be even more reason for a special? First she was first lady, now she’s the president herself. Sounds very worthy of a special if you ask me!

5. Mollymoo says:

Gosh, the things that ruin our lives :-) I’m not a fan of Trump….but not a fan of Shonda’s shows either. But dang, POTUS stuff has been bumping programming for as long as I can remember. Are people really that bent over it we needed a special interview with Shonda?

• Kaya says:

You know it wasn’t a special interview with Shonda, right? That she appeared (via satellite) at a pre-planned Scandal panel at ABC’s TCA session today?

• Pedro says:

I cannot remember anything similar to Obamas Go To Washington bumping any show.

• Bill says:

Watch tV tonight? Lol loon

• Katie Stone says:

*sigh*. Dear Pedro, it’s not just about a particular documentary or a highlight reel. If you look back both of Obama’s inaugurations, media coverage spanned multiple days. In fact, for his 2nd term, the media reports were that (as is the norm with 2nd terms) coverage was going to be scaled back and only span something like 3 days. There are lots of shows bumped for lots of different POTUS related crap leading up to inauguration. Just because you can’t remember a show with a particular title doesn’t mean this is some out of the ordinary, newsworthy event. And, as others have said, Obama just bumped programming for his farewell speech. Did any of the execs working those shows get asked how they felt about it? Or do we just want to cry fowl when we don’t like the Pres?

• Cat says:

The difference here is that ABC has been doing a big advertising campaign for the return of TGIT on the 19th knowing full well that the inauguration would be on the following day so they should have known that this show would occur whoever won and therefore not promoted the return for the 19th. fans have every right to be angry.

6. Jake L. says:

Waiting an extra week now means less repeats or preemptions later. We’ll already have been waiting two months for Grey’s and Murder, and significantly more than that for Scandal. Who cares about one week? A few weeks into the spring seasons and we won’t even remember this.

7. Bobby says:

I won’t watch anything with Trump.

8. Erin says:

I agree with Eric740. Why didn’t they schedule the special for Wednesday? It would be fine to bump Match Game for a week, and I watch that show, too.

9. Helen says:

Why is this Trump’s fault? Is it Obama’s fault that I’m not getting to see my CBS shows tonight? so ridiculous.

10. Gerald says:

I hope the ratings for this tank. But there are a lot of American’s that can’t get enough of this guy. Go figure. I hope this special is not indicative of many more Trump specials over the next 4 years. Less screen time the better.

11. padraicjacob says:

She stays in her lane and doesn’t handle programming, but is fine with whatever they do? Unless they try to use the TGIT moniker to incorporate other shows that aren’t hers. She doesn’t own TGIT, but was very vocal about them not using it to possibly help any other show.

12. SusieT79 says:

I do like one of her shows, and I am not happy about who won the election, but no matter who won they would have had a special.

I am just curious why it seems that when anything political happens they run to Shonda to comment. I know these were her shows that were bumped, but would they have cared if it were Clinton?

• Pedro says:

You don’t know that. If this special had been scheduled no matter what, no programming would have been bumped. It was a last-hour addition.

Plus, the Clintons are quite familiar with Washington.

• SusieT79 says:

They may know Washington, but I am sure there are a plethora of topics 20/20 could feature. There could be a ton of specials just about her becoming the first female President. You just don’t know.

• Pedro says:

You are dealing with speculation. I’m talking about facts. Spare me of fake news.

• SusieT79 says:

How is that fake news? I am confused, It started as a “what if” question so of course my question was dealing with speculation. I wasn’t reporting any sort of news.

13. Larc says:

The schadenfreude in me would relish seeing final ratings in the basement for this Trump-centric show. I definitely won’t be watching.

14. justsomeguy says:

This is just the first of many things a Trump Presidency will ruin lol

15. Kat says:

Wow, this is one of the most reaching topics. An entire story about nothing. If you wanted to do a story on a newly restored all-Rhimes Thursday, just do it. You don’t need to mascarade it as muck-racking nothingingness.

16. Pedro says:

Trump is overrated.

17. Jake L. says:

Last year the spring return of TGIT was not until February 11, so we’re still getting them back earlier than before.

18. lizzie says:

I hope TBS will have The Big Bang Theory on all night, cause there’s no way I’m watching anything about Trump.

19. SoMuchHope says:

“I stay in my lane.”??? Seems like an odd thing to say.